Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Seriously Nintendo wtf? Announce a direct already :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nintendo is doing an Indirect this year. Announcements are only alluded to via word of mouth and it’s up to us to infer what games are coming out.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah and then there's them practically shadow dropping Origami King not even in a direct, just randomly posting the trailer on twitter

This is reaching back quite a bit, but remember the E3 whatever year it was when Nintendo had their big presentation? And then some gaming website asked them if Fire Emblem Awakening was going to be localized? And they were like "Oh, yeah that. Yeah it's coming. We'll put it up on Twitter or something. Gee, wouldn't it have been nice if we'd just had a big presentation where we could have announced something like that?"

I bet they felt stupid after that game sold like freaking gang-busters. Or at least I hope they did. Between that and Xenoblade Nintendo are weird about localizing games that turn out to be pretty successful/popular!

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Geo Fixer posted:

Seriously Nintendo wtf? Announce a direct already :colbert:

Nintendo is waiting until everyone else is done showcasing their junkware. They'll swoop in with a direct and save E3 yet again.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

The thing with Bayonetta 3 and and MP4 is that they were announced at the direct after the switch was revealed (I believe). So, they were pretty much there to convince people to buy the new hardware.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

American McGay posted:

The girl turtle from the Nickelodeon reboot to piss off literally everyone.

Are you talking about a girl turtle from the show or that one girl who got mutated into a turtle from the IDW comic?

Anyways, make Mona Lisa DLC

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Silver Falcon posted:

This is reaching back quite a bit, but remember the E3 whatever year it was when Nintendo had their big presentation? And then some gaming website asked them if Fire Emblem Awakening was going to be localized? And they were like "Oh, yeah that. Yeah it's coming. We'll put it up on Twitter or something. Gee, wouldn't it have been nice if we'd just had a big presentation where we could have announced something like that?"

I bet they felt stupid after that game sold like freaking gang-busters. Or at least I hope they did. Between that and Xenoblade Nintendo are weird about localizing games that turn out to be pretty successful/popular!

Nintendo was absolutely expecting Fire Emblem to die and that Awakening would just be a nicer sendoff than an unremarkable port of an old game or a second port that didn't even get released outside of Japan.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo often has no idea how well their games will do outside of like Marios and Zeldas.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Sam Faust posted:

The thing with Bayonetta 3 and and MP4 is that they were announced at the direct after the switch was revealed (I believe). So, they were pretty much there to convince people to buy the new hardware.

We should be getting Bayonetta 4 and Metroid Prime 5 by now, but, Nintendo...

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'm fine with Bayonetta 3 taking forever because it hopefully means they're taking the time to make it actually good, unlike literally every other non-Bayonetta game Platinum has ever made.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also Majora's Mask was a top-tier Zelda and they made that by just copy-pasting a previous title's engine and like half its assets.

The sequel to BotW has to have something big cookin'.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Vanquish is great a would be perfect on Switch with gyro aiming

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Willo567 posted:

Are you talking about a girl turtle from the show or that one girl who got mutated into a turtle from the IDW comic?

I thought she was named Venus de Milo?

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
BOTW2 is coming out in a post-Elden ring world, where future open world games have been put on notice

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Venus de Milo was only in the 1997-98 live action show as the "fifth turtle" exposed to mutagen (mistakenly left behind by Splinter). In comics, she's been made fun of in the Image series and in the IDW series she's a reanimated creation of a mad scientist.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
that turtle has boobs

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just had a system update; anyone know what it involved?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can confirm that my experience is enhanced

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Bleck posted:

I'm fine with Bayonetta 3 taking forever because it hopefully means they're taking the time to make it actually good, unlike literally every other non-Bayonetta game Platinum has ever made.

?
???
Mods?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just had a system update; anyone know what it involved?

It removed all the bad games. See if any of your games are missing

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

that turtle has boobs

And thumbs!

And a bipedal gait!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bleck posted:

wtf???????

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
anyone who has a switch and not Astral Chain is a fool, and a coward

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

astral chain whips.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
After six bad PlatinumGames in a row, when they were like "in the next one you play as a cop," I decided not to bother.

Knowing my luck it's probably very good, but alas.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I doesn't look that engaging to me but I would try it if there is a demo!

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Bleck posted:

After six bad PlatinumGames in a row, when they were like "in the next one you play as a cop," I decided not to bother.

Wonderful 101 was great

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Astral chain is a different kind of character action game and I need to replay it again, but overall it’s definitely decent-tier platinum but not Bayo/MGR tier. You have to do a few minimum fetch/scan/talk quests before the main action parts. Dodging I don’t think has iframes anymore or they’re reduced heaps. You only have 1 button and 1 combo string but can switch between 3 weapons I think, but then you get 4-5 hotswap robopals (start getting them around Mission 3 maybe) that do assist moves, combo finishers, and you can also ride them to do their combos. I personally felt this aspect was a bit cumbersome like whizzing them around all the time with right thumb stick and detracted from what I like about their best crazy fast action games but YMMV.

Hurry up and drop MGR on switch or give me a Bayo 3 update!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Bleck posted:

you're less of a cop and more like the government's official monster hunter

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

glassyalabolas posted:

Megaman Battle Net collection when? otherwise this Capcom showcase is a snooze fest.

As much as I would loving love this, that would require Capcom to give even half a poo poo about Mega Man.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Did the Zero collection bomb? They probably will just stick to the Classic or X series from now on if it did

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Astral chain is a different kind of character action game and I need to replay it again, but overall it’s definitely decent-tier platinum but not Bayo/MGR tier. You have to do a few minimum fetch/scan/talk quests before the main action parts. Dodging I don’t think has iframes anymore or they’re reduced heaps. You only have 1 button and 1 combo string but can switch between 3 weapons I think, but then you get 4-5 hotswap robopals (start getting them around Mission 3 maybe) that do assist moves, combo finishers, and you can also ride them to do their combos. I personally felt this aspect was a bit cumbersome like whizzing them around all the time with right thumb stick and detracted from what I like about their best crazy fast action games but YMMV.

Hurry up and drop MGR on switch or give me a Bayo 3 update!

It owns. The different combos are pause- and stick direction-based, there's more than one.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Yeah I thought the separate chain robots were a bit much alongside the normal combat, using the right stick to lasso enemies never felt very good and it mostly felt like a game that I had to relearn every time I played it. The investigation portions were also the opposite of what I want in a Platinum game, they killed the pace every time I was getting more comfortable. Between that and W101 I cooled on Platinum a bit, too much focus on system/gimmick that doesn't quite gel in battle and I don't like drawing shapes while fighting.

Bayo 1-2 are excellent, I'll line up for 3 for sure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Palmtree Panic posted:

Prime 4 was announced 5 years ago today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFbDmTjS_MI

Any day year now until we see actual footage.

Metroid Prime 4 also had Nintendo admit their version sucked and turned it over to Retro to start over from scratch about, what, 2-3 years ago now? We're actually only about now about due for a trailer, and maybe early gameplay, on whatever their version looks like.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Stardew Now

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1536408067876835330

Stardew Valley owns, hell I'm in the middle of a playthrough that got kinda derailed thanks to Crystal Project and FF5, but it's still a great and chill experience with tons of content that's been added over the years.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

American McGay posted:

A better question is what the gently caress was Retro doing in the ~5 years between Tropical Freeze and when Nintendo called them crying.
One ResetEra-spawned rumor (so take with a grain of salt as ever) claims they spent around 3 years on an RPG where the main mechanic was singing and using song to manipulate the environment, that was ultimately cancelled due to the project losing direction and Nintendo losing their patience.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bleck posted:

Yeah nier automata disappointed me too

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Stardew Now

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1536408067876835330

Stardew Valley owns, hell I'm in the middle of a playthrough that got kinda derailed thanks to Crystal Project and FF5, but it's still a great and chill experience with tons of content that's been added over the years.

Can’t recommend playing this enough, especially if you have an online sub, though honestly the game is worth every penny. Split screen couch co-op farming with your family/friends is amazing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

American McGay posted:

A better question is what the gently caress was Retro doing in the ~5 years between Tropical Freeze and when Nintendo called them crying.

Speaking of, not counting remakes it’s been almost 8 years since the last Donkey Kong game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Tactics Ogre Reborn was spotted on the PSN store. Hopefully it'll make it's way to the switch as well.