Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Flyinglemur posted:

Working on my first studio project, my progress so far:

Having a difficult time trying to get the lighting correct to highlight the interior parts so pretend it isn't dark as gently caress in there. The front was really killing me but I have come to accept this as the best solution. I'm going to make one of the Vertical Launch tubes see-through as well, which should break up the sold mass a bit. Will try and make some kind of glowing green cutout for the reactor compartment and the engine room is going to be some random equipment because its classified. and I wasn't a nuke so I didn't spend a lot of time back there anyway if it wasn't an all-hands cleanup or smoke break

I'm a little afraid of how many bricks this is going to be total, but I turn 50 this August and I have sold the idea to my wife as a Birthday Gift.

The best way to get lighting it to lop off the top and render.
Or make your interiors into subassemblies. and render just them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

HootTheOwl posted:

The best way to get lighting it to lop off the top and render.
Or make your interiors into subassemblies. and render just them

Thank you!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Anyone up for helping me recreate these small vehicles? My kid really wants to build them with whatever pieces we have laying around

Jango/Boba ship
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnGZBpkTtak&t=258s

death star
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnGZBpkTtak&t=86s

Captain marvel skycycle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tt6QgDdd8g&t=89s

I can put up more detailed vids if needed

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mastershakeman posted:

Anyone up for helping me recreate these small vehicles? My kid really wants to build them with whatever pieces we have laying around

Jango/Boba ship
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnGZBpkTtak&t=258s

death star
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnGZBpkTtak&t=86s

Captain marvel skycycle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tt6QgDdd8g&t=89s

I can put up more detailed vids if needed

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-109088/Droptima/skywalker-saga-micro-fighters/#parts This should get you the starwars pair

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I had just finished figuring out Boba's ship, I think I'll go ahead and make some instructions for it anyway.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Awesome! We don't have many spare wedge pieces (due to the xwing mini) but it looks pretty cool to my kid

Time for him to put a million translucent shooter pieces on it. Also the rangefinder pieces on knockoff minifigs are horrible

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 12, 2022

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Here's some instructions for my best bet on the mini Boba ship. I took some liberties with the bottom dark gray layer to add the engines and upper roundy bit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J8TQdV5Kr6cqin0DAKlVcjtQAWApn-Ro/view?usp=sharing

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 12, 2022

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It looks like the same Slave I that I've had sitting on my work desk for years:

I can't find instructions for it, but here's the brickset link for the set: https://brickset.com/sets/CELEBVI-1/Mini-Slave-I

Jehde fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 13, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Here's some instructions for my best bet on the mini Boba ship. I took some liberties with the bottom dark gray layer to add the engines and upper roundy bit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J8TQdV5Kr6cqin0DAKlVcjtQAWApn-Ro/view?usp=sharing

You guys are so drat talented at this stuff

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Jehde posted:

It looks like the same Slave I that I've had sitting on my work desk for years:

I can't find instructions for it, but here's the brickset link for the set: https://brickset.com/sets/CELEBVI-1/Mini-Slave-I

Good call, it probably is exactly that promo set.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

mastershakeman posted:

You guys are so drat talented at this stuff

I stared at a few videos of the Captain Marvel speeder, but all I can find is pretty much the same setup of someone unlocking the achievement and swooping it for a moment, nothing high quality enough to get a feel for how it's made, and no good rotation.

Edit: I've been swooping this silly thing around the house since Thursday:

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 13, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I stared at a few videos of the Captain Marvel speeder, but all I can find is pretty much the same setup of someone unlocking the achievement and swooping it for a moment, nothing high quality enough to get a feel for how it's made, and no good rotation.

I'll put up a vid tomorrow. I'm trying to work up a big spreadsheet of all of these vehicles from the games, because stuff like that existing exclusive mini ship blow my mind - I don't know how to properly search for them I guess. I think it's really terrible they don't sell those sets for kids.

We've been giving my kid motivator check marks for behavior we want (bath, brush teeth, hands to self etc) and a minifig reward, I got a ton of knockoffs from China and he gets 1-2 a week. So he now has like 30 of them but wants little vehicles for each of them.

The really rough thing is looking up stuff like symbiote suit spiderman on bricklink and it's minimum $100 because it was an exclusive at some convention

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

mastershakeman posted:

I think it's really terrible they don't sell those sets for kids.

I feel like Lego doesn't make nearly enough small $10-$15 sets and polybags. I mean, there's a few every year, but they're clearly not the focus of any line, which at this point are all $40 to $70 sets primarily. "Play features" on larger builds are neat, but the best play feature is just being able to swoop the whole set around without breaking a 500 piece thing, and that's just lacking lately. It also bugs me how many of their sets are the price point they are due to lot of smaller side builds - take those away, price the set lower, beef the former side builds up a little to where they're not junk, and make those into polybags and smaller products.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The midscale version of the Falcon is great and I want more stuff like it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I feel like Lego doesn't make nearly enough small $10-$15 sets and polybags. I mean, there's a few every year, but they're clearly not the focus of any line, which at this point are all $40 to $70 sets primarily. "Play features" on larger builds are neat, but the best play feature is just being able to swoop the whole set around without breaking a 500 piece thing, and that's just lacking lately. It also bugs me how many of their sets are the price point they are due to lot of smaller side builds - take those away, price the set lower, beef the former side builds up a little to where they're not junk, and make those into polybags and smaller products.

The sets between $5-20 are what me and the kid typically pickup to build and play with together. Maybe it's just what my retailer carries but I actually find there's a pretty good selection in that price range. Particularly the 3-in-1 and City stuff.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Literally A Person posted:

The sets between $5-20 are what me and the kid typically pickup to build and play with together. Maybe it's just what my retailer carries but I actually find there's a pretty good selection in that price range. Particularly the 3-in-1 and City stuff.

The current wave of 3-in-1 is totally great and more of what I'd like to see. I just wish there was 2-3x more of that kind of stuff.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
3-in-1 Deep Sea Creatures is a GOAT set and still available at Target (mine, at least) for 12 bucks.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Carbohydrates posted:

3-in-1 Deep Sea Creatures is a GOAT set and still available at Target (mine, at least) for 12 bucks.

Seconding this, fantastic set.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Carbohydrates posted:

I got that set for my wife about a year or so ago since I saw it at the grocery store here and she loves sharks. She had never played with Lego as a kid and I thought it would be nice for us to do together. I was wrong, she hated the process and doesn't have the patience for it, but she does love her shark. Plus that let me know that I DID like the process and here I am now, telling you all about it and boring the poo poo out of you.

But yeah, that was a fun set.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Anyone else find the Optimus build kinda meh? It definitely looks a lot better in person than in pictures but the process itself was pretty straightforward without many “oh cool” moments. I think the only bits that struck me as clever are the feet assemblies and the rifle. The axe is dumb and too heavy for the shoulder joint.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The midscale version of the Falcon is great and I want more stuff like it.

Agreed, good mix of size and detail.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I just put together the Cosmic Cardboard Adventure GWP last night - https://brickset.com/sets/40533-1/Cosmic-Cardboard-Adventures

It is a really nice little set and contains a lot of cute little details, like a teddy bear in a robosuit and small painted, green army men.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Carbohydrates posted:

I've gotten two of those for myself and one for the kid. it really is a little magic, all the alternate builds are good

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What is it that makes that 3 in 1 so special? Just looking at it from the outside it looks pretty normal for a 3 in 1. But hearing Carbs say GOAT got my interest.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Waltzing Along posted:

What is it that makes that 3 in 1 so special? Just looking at it from the outside it looks pretty normal for a 3 in 1. But hearing Carbs say GOAT got my interest.

The models are all awesome looking and fun to swoosh. How you put them together is fun as hell. When you're done with them you have a whole bunch of cool/kickass pieces. Just everything. And the price....

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Waltzing Along posted:

It's a great build. Nothing too wild tech-wise, but has some cleverness such as the specific ball joints used to give the space between segments a 1/2 plate gap to keep it tight. The eyes are formed with a ligtsaber blade slid through Technic pins finished with 1L liftarms - clever and it looks great. Also, it looks really complete and detailed for a Creator model - none of the usual aesthetic compromises you tend to get with Creator sets. I don't think the still photos quite do justice to the scale and shaping, honestly. All of the alternate builds are pretty good, and it actually has a 4th digital-only build which is ALSO good. It's really unusual for all of the builds to be so good. It was a good value at release at $15 for 230 pcs, but these days you can reliably get it for $12, which is approaching 5 cents per piece. It's stellar! I think the only thing keeping me from saying something like "it's perfect" is that the build is not the MOST interesting throughout. The head is really cool and fun, but most of the body and tail are regular studs-up stackin'. It's fine, and none of it is bad, but it doesn't have any "oh wow" moments outside of the head/eyes.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I got the Father's Day GWP, an Aston Martin that fits my "car only" policy :)

Pretty cool, not one of my favorite cars but it was fun to put together and a nice difference from the Technics I've been doing.

And staring down the bigger brother McLaren F1 that is in the garage waiting for the right part

I love the exhaust

edit:

This seems like a lot of leftover pieces for a 90 piece set. I'm not complaining though. I know that sounded like a complaint

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 13, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Carbohydrates posted:

It's a great build. Nothing too wild tech-wise, but has some cleverness such as the specific ball joints used to give the space between segments a 1/2 plate gap to keep it tight. The eyes are formed with a ligtsaber blade slid through Technic pins finished with 1L liftarms - clever and it looks great. Also, it looks really complete and detailed for a Creator model - none of the usual aesthetic compromises you tend to get with Creator sets. I don't think the still photos quite do justice to the scale and shaping, honestly. All of the alternate builds are pretty good, and it actually has a 4th digital-only build which is ALSO good. It's really unusual for all of the builds to be so good. It was a good value at release at $15 for 230 pcs, but these days you can reliably get it for $12, which is approaching 5 cents per piece. It's stellar! I think the only thing keeping me from saying something like "it's perfect" is that the build is not the MOST interesting throughout. The head is really cool and fun, but most of the body and tail are regular studs-up stackin'. It's fine, and none of it is bad, but it doesn't have any "oh wow" moments outside of the head/eyes.

Thanks for that. I'd sworn off the non-adult sets due to always feeling dissatisfied after the build. But maybe I'll pick this one up.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Anyone else find the Optimus build kinda meh? It definitely looks a lot better in person than in pictures but the process itself was pretty straightforward without many “oh cool” moments. I think the only bits that struck me as clever are the feet assemblies and the rifle. The axe is dumb and too heavy for the shoulder joint.

I haven't built mine yet (or witnessed it being built, since it's a bday present for my almost 11yo), but I'm not surprised. Given the design - what with Optimus being a fairly boxy and angle-free truck and robot - and part count, I anticipated that the build itself would be on the "meh" side. When it comes to Lego mechs and robots, the interesting techniques usually crop up in joints or when achieving the curves or angles of something vaguely Anime-ish.

Carbohydrates posted:

Shark Creator set GOAT words

To add to this, it is one of those rare 3-in-1 sets where the alternate builds are at least as interesting, if not more, as the primary one.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any goon recommendations for LED back lighting for kalax and similar shelves? I finally got my wicked brick stands and inserts, they're neat. I wanted to get something easy to work with for back lighting for LED stuff, just to illuminate the podiums and then I plan on having Light My Bricks stuff on all my sets independent of the display lighting.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Waltzing Along posted:

The real reason you need that set is to build yourself a Krakenator!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This isn't a lego is it? It's in with the two enormous tubs of lego I stole from my newly adult nieces when I visited my sister last weekend.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

bird with big dick posted:

This isn't a lego is it? It's in with the two enormous tubs of lego I stole from my newly adult nieces when I visited my sister last weekend.

YOU STOLE MY SHOWERHEAD!!! :argh:

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

bird with big dick posted:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=10894#T=C

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Appears in Velveeta Promotional Set 4

Absolutely not kidding right now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Whoa. Didn't see that coming.

Also, I ordered that Shark set based on Carbs recommendation.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Edit: I've been swooping this silly thing around the house since Thursday:

https://youtu.be/59fjdIm0Qjo

Will this vid work for you?

I also ordered that shark set. Maybe for me...

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Ugh I get the idea Lego, you don't have to email me every week to tell me this lol.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is that all for one set on backorder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Wtf

Literally A Person posted:

Appears in Velveeta Promotional Set 4

Absolutely not kidding right now.