Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rutibex posted:

human DNA is only 75 million lines of code, 691 megabytes, and most of that isnt brain. not even close to a AAA game. Dall-E is way bigger so it should be even more sentient than a human
It is nice to be chatting with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Rutibex posted:

human DNA is only 75 million lines of code, 691 megabytes, and most of that isnt brain. not even close to a AAA game. Dall-E is way bigger so it should be even more sentient than a human

Yeah but the code is a procedural generator my dude

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the nightmare faces are intentional right? if they unfucked it the faces would look normal?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

"Columbo arresting Jessica Fletcher for her crimes"

"cybernetic dad telling a joke to bored kids"

"portrait of a "Dana Scully" in the style of Basquiat and hannah höch"

"Arrakis, a fusion of art deco and star wars architecture, artstation, volumetric lighting, by james clyne::4 ralph mcquarrie::1, realistic beautiful high detail render" (swiped this prompt from someone else and added 'Arrakis')

"futuristic 70s Soviet Union cigarette ad with pretty woman smoking and cool catch phrase"

"futuristic, 70s West German cigarette ad with pretty woman smoking and cool catch phrase"

"stylized poster, general Sherman, vaporwave"

"stylized poster of futuristic 80s Soviet Union soft drink"

"designed by Syd Mead" series:

robot lawyer

cellphone

energy drink

computer mainframe

laser rifle

hightop sneaker

cybernetic dog

cybernetic dad

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Dall-e doesn't have a clue what to do with simplified cartoons but LMAO does it produce some great expressions.

Also I'm not sure why but this result made me laugh for like five solid minutes

Finally have some nightmare fuel, free of charge.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

KakerMix posted:

robot lawyer

cellphone

energy drink

computer mainframe

laser rifle

hightop sneaker

cybernetic dog

cybernetic dad
These come out really good, I like the Arrakis one too

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Rutibex posted:

the nightmare faces are intentional right? if they unfucked it the faces would look normal?

Afaik Dall-E mini doesn't do any face distortion, that's just the best it can do

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
those of you who got approved, how long did the Dall-E waitlist take?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Cybernetic dog is a good dog.

naem
May 29, 2011

Rutibex posted:

those lines of dna code are for creating the hardware on which human consciousness runs

the software, that is what we don’t understand yet for HUU-MONS

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Don't we mostly each have to write our own software? Having to reinvent the wheel each time is why it takes us so very long to reach useful adulthood. At 1 year old we're still total goobers compared to everything else.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

imagine being a massive accumulation of cells that are all doing their own thing, but are dependant on each other, then at a grand distance from that action there's a voice that seems to think they know what's going on inside but it's the most surface level version of an understanding. that's human consciousness.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

imagine being a massive accumulation of cells that are all doing their own thing, but are dependant on each other, then at a grand distance from that action there's a voice that seems to think they know what's going on inside but it's the most surface level version of an understanding. that's human consciousness.

Each and every individual cell acts according to their structure and the laws that govern them. They aren't "aware" but like if they were I'm sure they wouldn't be aware of the superstructure organism that they're apart of. I wonder if it's possible if there was a greater super-organism we were apart of. We'd never know it and it would operate on scales far outside a single person's view
hell yeah i should do some drugs

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Fattest PI posted:

Each and every individual cell acts according to their structure and the laws that govern them. They aren't "aware" but like if they were I'm sure they wouldn't be aware of the superstructure organism that they're apart of. I wonder if it's possible if there was a greater super-organism we were apart of.

it's called a corporation

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Dall-E has no idea what Wayne Campbell looks like but loving loves Garth for some reason.

wayne and garth from wayne’s world at peenemunde 1944 helping the german war effort and v2 rocket program

wayne and garth from wayne’s world in the cockpit of a boeing b52 stratofortress over the heart of soviet russia

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

it has some idea who wayne is, but clearly prefers garth

12 garths 5 waynes lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Handen posted:

Dall-E has no idea what Wayne Campbell looks like but loving loves Garth for some reason.

wayne and garth from wayne’s world at peenemunde 1944 helping the german war effort and v2 rocket program

wayne and garth from wayne’s world in the cockpit of a boeing b52 stratofortress over the heart of soviet russia

wayne's world war

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

KakerMix posted:

"Columbo arresting Jessica Fletcher for her crimes"

"cybernetic dad telling a joke to bored kids"

"portrait of a "Dana Scully" in the style of Basquiat and hannah höch"

"Arrakis, a fusion of art deco and star wars architecture, artstation, volumetric lighting, by james clyne::4 ralph mcquarrie::1, realistic beautiful high detail render" (swiped this prompt from someone else and added 'Arrakis')

"futuristic 70s Soviet Union cigarette ad with pretty woman smoking and cool catch phrase"

"futuristic, 70s West German cigarette ad with pretty woman smoking and cool catch phrase"

"stylized poster, general Sherman, vaporwave"

"stylized poster of futuristic 80s Soviet Union soft drink"

robot lawyer

cellphone

energy drink

computer mainframe

laser rifle

hightop sneaker

cybernetic dog

cybernetic dad

how come yours are better

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

There are three major AI art things right now.
Dall-E mini, which is the one you see all over social media and in this thread with the hosed up faces. Then there is Dall-E 2, the one with the news articles and bears doing trigonometry and all that. If you see someone saying 'Dall-E' and it looks choice, it's the invite-only Dall-E 2.
I'm using the third wheel sorta one, MidJourney, that is also invite-only but not as strong or capable as Dall-E 2. It's extremely strong with mixing ideas, doing portraits, and creating whole new art in the styles of whatever you ask it to, like Syd Mead. Not so much with doing goofy context stuff like even Dall-E mini is decent at.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Dalle2 > Dalle mini

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What kind of prompt babble (trending on artstation, etc) are you adding for midjourney?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

KakerMix posted:

There are three major AI art things right now.
Dall-E mini, which is the one you see all over social media and in this thread with the hosed up faces. Then there is Dall-E 2, the one with the news articles and bears doing trigonometry and all that. If you see someone saying 'Dall-E' and it looks choice, it's the invite-only Dall-E 2.
I'm using the third wheel sorta one, MidJourney, that is also invite-only but not as strong or capable as Dall-E 2. It's extremely strong with mixing ideas, doing portraits, and creating whole new art in the styles of whatever you ask it to, like Syd Mead. Not so much with doing goofy context stuff like even Dall-E mini is decent at.

There's also Disco Diffusion which you can run in a Google colab at that link.

I haven't played with that one myself but I think it's popped up a few times in here. It can create some pretty great results, not sure what it's limitations are or what it's best at but here are some examples I grabbed from an article:

"A beautiful wilderness in which a lonely monolith glowing, by Asher Brown Durand"

"A scenic view of the pleasure dome of Kubla Khan in the tropical jungle of Xanadu, by Asher Brown Durand"

"A close-up view of a man meeting the devil, by Caravaggio"

"A lady in a long white dress lying amongst many large snakes, tropical jungle, by Prateep Kochabua"

I don't think I've seen any examples of this one doing pop culture stuff.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

TIP posted:

I haven't played with that one myself but I think it's popped up a few times in here. It can create some pretty great results, not sure what it's limitations are or what it's best at but here are some examples I grabbed from an article:

"A beautiful wilderness in which a lonely monolith glowing, by Asher Brown Durand"

"A scenic view of the pleasure dome of Kubla Khan in the tropical jungle of Xanadu, by Asher Brown Durand"

"A lady in a long white dress lying amongst many large snakes, tropical jungle, by Prateep Kochabua"

I don't think I've seen any examples of this one doing pop culture stuff.

:stare:

the artist is dying

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alan Smithee posted:

the artist is dying

it just means the new art will be finely crafted posts to put into the machine

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
What if Jethro Tull was formed in the 80s, when saxophone solos ruled the land?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

what if jethro tull started in the ??s when sousaphones were all the rage

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 14, 2022

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tunicate posted:

What kind of prompt babble (trending on artstation, etc) are you adding for midjourney?

If you're in the discord (discord being how you interact with MidJourney at all) I'll just see what other people are generating in the various channels and swipe their prompts. It's a nice way to see what the AI does with certain prompts. "strong" artists like Syd Mead or Zdzisław Beksiński are so strong that you can get away with saying "thing by Zdzisław Beksiński" and it will kick out stellar results every time. You can do the same thing with anime or 'rendered in octane' to get the AI to attempt to output something in a realistic style. There is a ton of weighting you can do with the options and things to really tweak what the AI will spit out.
The other part is I'm cherry picking things, Syd Mead stuff is usually good right from the start, but most things require perhaps 3-4 passes to get something that works, then maybe 3-4 more passes on that specific out put. For every good picture you see there might be 20~ others you don't see that didn't look right.

TIP posted:

Yeah this one as well, I messed with it briefly before I got my invite. Let's see what MidJourney does with these exact same prompts. I'll run it till I get something presentable and will tell how many revisions it took to get there.

quote:

First output out of the four you get at once. Looking at Asher Brown Durand's art I'd say that Midjourney gets the artistic style better, though both of the AIs "get" the artist since they both output essentially the same composition.
Here is the first output, this one was #1:

quote:

Similar situation here, but with the dome itself being from a poem so there are different interpretations of it. Picked #4 out of the first output since I feel it matches closer to the one done by Disco Diffusion.

Here is the first output for this one:

quote:

Again MidJourney seems to get really close to the artist's style.

Took a bit to get this prompt to spit out something I'd be happy with. Here are the first two:

Poor results, imho. I added "face to face" to the prompt and got this:

and I went with #4 which is the upsized one you see above.

quote:

Context like this is where MidJourney just isn't very good and gets showed up by even Dall-E mini. The AI INSISTS on making the woman in the dress a part of the snakes and the snakes a part of the woman. Everything looked like this, even when I changed the prompt around trying to get it to generate something decent.

Changed the prompt to "woman in white dress sleeping on a bed of snakes, tropical jungle, by Prateep Kochabua" and got better results, but still bad:

11 passes with the original and variations of the original prompt with nothing to show for it. Changed the prompt to "woman with snake, jungle, by Prateep Kochabua" and got better results, but not what Disco was able to pull off. 7 prompts with a couple dead-ends. MidJourney still insisted on blending her arm with the snake, just completely unable to keep it all separated. Like this:

The one from Disco isn't 100% correct, but those snakes are not the woman, nor is she the snakes. I gave up.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

from pixray:

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Alan Smithee posted:

the artist is dying

Nah the artist is just becoming "the cool ideas guy" rather than the highly skilled and experienced technical artist who spent decades honing their craft.

Specifically, the cool ideas guy that knows the exact right way to talk to the AI to get the best outcomes especially by referencing styles and artistic concepts, bearing in mind that most of the public will just mash in "boobs big naturals large" to get something that's "good enough".

You still need to know how to frame a shot to understand why one is more artistically appealing than the other (out of the 100 options the AI gave you.)

Rutibex posted:

it just means the new art will be finely crafted posts to put into the machine

I wish I'd scrolled down before posting this because yeah this is much more concise.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

KakerMix posted:

The one from Disco isn't 100% correct, but those snakes are not the woman, nor is she the snakes. I gave up.

if you look up the artist the one from disco diffusion is nothing like their style, but combining the snakes and the ladies is very much a thing the artist would do:

for a third point of comparison here's the results from dall-e 2 for those prompts:

it seems like dall-e 2 is unfamiliar with asher brown durand, the other results it produced for this were just fairly generic landscapes that featured peaks or trees but nothing like a monolith

if you want to see more dall-e 2 and disco diffusion comparisons this is the article I pulled from:
https://medium.com/@nin_artificial/dall-e-2-vs-disco-diffusion-c6de6bfbacf9

TIP fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 14, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

seems like it ran out of paper

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

TIP posted:

if you look up the artist the one from disco diffusion is nothing like their style, but combining the snakes and the ladies is very much a thing the artist would do:

for a third point of comparison here's the results from dall-e 2 for those prompts:

it seems like dall-e 2 is unfamiliar with asher brown durand, the other results it produced for this were just fairly generic landscapes that featured peaks or trees but nothing like a monolith

if you want to see more dall-e 2 and disco diffusion characters this is the article I pulled from:
https://medium.com/@nin_artificial/dall-e-2-vs-disco-diffusion-c6de6bfbacf9

Thanks for the link, and yeah it's clear that Dall-E 2 gets the context so much better and seems to easily avoid the 'multiple eyes and what the hell is this oh well' shapes that these other systems generate, especially with the man and devil meeting, and how the woman there is sitting with snakes, not IS snakes. I can't easily get MidJourney to generate cars for instance, since it doesn't understand where the wheels all go in relation to the others. Haven't seen Dall-E 2 do with those prompts, perhaps it would struggle as well.
Also seems pretty clear that MidJourney isn't super familiar with Prateep Kochabua, casting even more doubts that the AI somehow knew more than what we were asking it.

MidJourney does know Durand, since it can get a dude that's been dead since the 1800s to paint stuff like Bladerunner's skyline, street view, future Tokyo or a brutalist parking garage, or a water treatment plant:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 14, 2022

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/Dalle2Pics/status/1536424012053680129?s=20&t=8I7OPJiYQMpJHMweMDcUgQ

whole thread is amazing

and couple of my own

Tiberius Christ fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 14, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

tried "A still of Homer Simpson in Pirates of the Caribbean” on midjourney

front facing simpsons are cursed

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tunicate posted:

"a still of Homer Simpson in the Blair Witch Project" from that Homer twitter thread

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tunicate posted:

tried "A still of Homer Simpson in Pirates of the Caribbean” on midjourney

homer has nostril boobs because of course he does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

the artist is dying