Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Don't worry, money stops being an issue in Persona 3 rather quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I liked The Answer. Of course it's disappointing if you want the full package - no external environments, no social links, no time management.

A lot of the bosses were also terribly designed if I recall. One weakness, but also have evade for that weakness. Over and over.

But I enjoyed the dungeon crawl itself, as well as the story. Taking away the compendium also changes Persona management pretty drastically, which was a good change.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i just want steam achievements yo

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

:toot: That's a relief. It was a bit weird that P4 Golden was a Vita-and-Steam exclusive (of all things) for a while there, so I was a bit concerned about there being some platform or storefront exclusivity shennanigans.

I imagine Switch owners are still upset though. The Persona games seem like an ideal match for Switch hardware, they're not exactly very graphically demanding.

maybe optimising for switch was too much effort this go-round and it'll be ported at a later date? wouldn't be too surprising now that the floodgates are pretty much open with this series being multiplatform

pc is great and something i've been wanting for ages, but i would absolutely love to play these on switch. the pacing, structure, artstyle etc are all exactly right for that hybrid portable/tv setup

funnily enough, I just started playing FES through an emulator earlier today before I found this out. i never finished it when i tried it before because the combat got a bit too patience testing iirc. graphics still hold up though. i played the PS2 version of P4 through an emulator and never had any problem with the graphics there too. excited to play P5 on something that's not a PS3!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

They should never port P5 for the Switch because otherwise Persona 5 fans will have no excuse for not playing the game.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Answer is just kind of a miserable slog due to weird design decisions and absolutely awful design on the bosses. It also doesn't add anything really new outside of a few banger music tracks since it's very obvious what happens at the end of 3.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

May I please have Digital Devil Saga Part 1 and 2 on PC next?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Also FWIW that so called "Press release" about P5R et al coming to Steam is completely unconfirmed and is just engagement bait from some bottom feeder gaming website.

I mean it might still be true but again, the Steam logo is very conspicuous by its absence on all of the real, official announcements so far. It was front and center at the end of the very first trailer for Soul Hackers 2, for instance.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This was from a Microsoft event, why would they put a Steam logo on it?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Because Atlus also posted their own trailer shortly afterwards and there was no mention of Steam in there either. Just "Windows PC". Which is generally the label that is used when a product is being moneyhatted for some other poo poo store with a radioactive brand like EGS (or idk maybe the Windows Store in this instance).

I dunno Atlus is just super weird with exclusivity in general.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

They should never port P5 for the Switch because otherwise Persona 5 fans will have no excuse for not playing the game.

https://twitter.com/SkillUpYT/status/1536107501761941504

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Memories of the City is still the best over world track across P3/P4/P5. Especially in conjunction with how drastic the NPC dialogue changes. P3 December/January is still my favorite period across any Persona game purely through atmosphere. :colbert:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they did a similar thing with the extra semester in P5R though the mood shift is completely different than the winter in P3

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Because Atlus also posted their own trailer shortly afterwards and there was no mention of Steam in there either. Just "Windows PC". Which is generally the label that is used when a product is being moneyhatted for some other poo poo store with a radioactive brand like EGS (or idk maybe the Windows Store in this instance).

I dunno Atlus is just super weird with exclusivity in general.

It'd be pretty weird for it to not hit steam considering P4G did. But then again, maybe Microsoft is paying for the ports and want to keep it exclusive or something, who knows

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

AlternateNu posted:

Memories of the City is still the best over world track across P3/P4/P5. Especially in conjunction with how drastic the NPC dialogue changes. P3 December/January is still my favorite period across any Persona game purely through atmosphere. :colbert:

Yeah same here, and they tried to do something similar in the last month of P4 and 5 but in both games it really fell short in comparison. Especially (vanilla) 5 where it just changes all the music to the generic "suspense" track that you've already heard 100 times.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Elvis_Maximus posted:

It'd be pretty weird for it to not hit steam considering P4G did. But then again, maybe Microsoft is paying for the ports and want to keep it exclusive or something, who knows

If it were exclusive, Microsoft would have been loudly proclaiming that in the teaser vid. The fact that exclusivity isn't mentioned at all gives more credence to the theory that Steam releases are coming.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

amigolupus posted:

Hahaha. Yeah. All 3 Persona games.

*looks at P1 and P2 duology sitting forgotten in the corner* :smith:
I still think this is largely due to the fact that hey didn't already have Eternal Punishment PSP localized and didn't want to do a different emulator wrapper for the Playstation version, since otherwise it'd just be porting another three PSP games. And even with the enhancements they're still notably different enough from P3-5 in playstyle. Possibly they're exploring the cost-benefit of doing so now but if they do it'll probably be released as another trilogy down the line.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sapozhnik posted:

Also FWIW that so called "Press release" about P5R et al coming to Steam is completely unconfirmed and is just engagement bait from some bottom feeder gaming website.

I mean it might still be true but again, the Steam logo is very conspicuous by its absence on all of the real, official announcements so far. It was front and center at the end of the very first trailer for Soul Hackers 2, for instance.

I mean, if it was just the bottom feeder website reporting it, it would be easier to ignore but all the big websites are reporting it as well at this point. If it was fake wouldn’t Altus put a stop to that as soon as possible? Could be false, but it seems odd to just let everybody believe that’s a thing when it would take all of 1 minute to go on Twitter and say “hey sorry, that’s not true”

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The Black Stones posted:

I mean, if it was just the bottom feeder website reporting it, it would be easier to ignore but all the big websites are reporting it as well at this point.

Yes they all just copy-paste each other because internet "journalism" is a race-to-the-bottom cess pit. Nobody has actually cited anything from an officially verified Atlus or Microsoft or Steam or whatever communication channel at any point in this mess as far as I am aware, it's all just racing to publish a "story" as quickly as possible.

quote:

If it was fake wouldn’t Altus put a stop to that as soon as possible?

I mean maybe eventually yeah but they aren't in the business of running around cleaning up the droppings of every random idiot on the internet with an AdWords account

quote:

Could be false, but it seems odd to just let everybody believe that’s a thing when it would take all of 1 minute to go on Twitter and say “hey sorry, that’s not true”

Why not? The bottom feeder site still gets to keep their ad revenue afterwards, there's no incentive not to just randomly make poo poo up and lots of incentive to do so.

To be clear I'm not continuing this derail just to be a Steam fanboy or whatever, I'm continuing it because this is really basic information hygiene that everybody needs to be familiar with on the modern internet at this point.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Female character is nice, but not really canon and Atlus barely acknowledges her])

Not really canon, sure, but "barely acknowledges" is false considering she's a major character in Persona Q2 and has an interesting storyline since she's the only one from her universe that was taken into the movie world, the other P3 characters were taken from the male MC's universe, so she knows all of them but they don't know her, and it starts messing with her emotionally.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
They could have just had someone go through and digitally paint over the rescaled backgrounds to make them not look like poo poo, but that's too much effort for current Atlus.
If it helps, P3 is probably the worst-written of the entire series anyway so it getting a crap port is less of a big deal.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

P3 is at least better written than 4.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

P3 is at least better written than 4.

4 allowed for the existence of platonic relationships with the female cast, at all.
it also didn't have a giant megacorp make you scrounge up money to equip yourselves to clean up their mess and have almost nobody point out how weird and dumb that is, and robot fighting girls so i'm giving 4 a victory only by not having these things, not because it's unassailable.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean fair but 3 also didn't have someone forcing the female cast into a beauty pageant so.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, but 4 is basically toeing the line of virulently heteronormative, even when compared to a game with Operation Babe Hunt, and one with gay sexual predators used as a punch line. Soooo, I'll go to bat that 3 is considerably better written than 4, because it's not that.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

YaketySass posted:

P3P makes much more sense as a base than FES (I don't think many people will be missing The Answer) but still, lol Atlus

Anyway this tweet

https://twitter.com/katrinaltrnsl8r/status/1536054424790962177

implies there's gonna be some localization changes? Not sure how much. The usual troglodytes already seem to imagine that she's gonna censor everything but her followup

https://twitter.com/katrinaltrnsl8r/status/1536077167360020481

makes it sound like a relatively light touch.

That person sucks major rear end and is a huge twitter dramahound so they probably aren't actually doing much but trying to get people riled up on twitter.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Not sure how stating their job title and saying that they're basically a button prompt reviewer is doing that op

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

aren't they just a loc person anyways? i dunno how that equals dramahound unless u think that like, making threads about localization processes or w/e equals drama

anyways wheres the switch ports!! atlus!!!!!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Booky posted:

aren't they just a loc person anyways? i dunno how that equals dramahound unless u think that like, making threads about localization processes or w/e equals drama

anyways wheres the switch ports!! atlus!!!!!

Well they spent the past week calling anyone who didn't like a real lovely transphobic translation of a manga series gamer gaters and chuds and stuff so that seems pretty dramahoundy to me! They're a known shitstirrer. Just because dumbass comicsgate freaks also don't like them doesn't make them good or not that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yeah, but 4 is basically toeing the line of virulently heteronormative, even when compared to a game with Operation Babe Hunt, and one with gay sexual predators used as a punch line. Soooo, I'll go to bat that 3 is considerably better written than 4, because it's not that.
4 is not winning any prizes in my book for that stuff, it truly only outpaces 3 in that it has a far better understanding of shadows as a psych concept that 3 just leaves on the table after 2 knocked it out of the park.
I'm a 1-2 defender (in terms of story/theme/atmosphere) so my stances here are definitely my own weird take on things.

2 has the protag and the antag exchanging expensive trinkets in front of a bridal shop when they're kids, and one of the canon choices is dating him, we haven't reached that height ever since.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well they spent the past week calling anyone who didn't like a real lovely transphobic translation of a manga series gamer gaters and chuds and stuff so that seems pretty dramahoundy to me! They're a known shitstirrer. Just because dumbass comicsgate freaks also don't like them doesn't make them good or not that.

what if i think that translation thing (assuming we're thinking of the same thing and ur descrip about those tweets isn't exaggerated) and comicsgate freaks suck rear end but also that its lame af to vaguepost about them on a completely unrelated series about like, button labels on a port

and i agree p2 is win and it sucks they're still stuck on the psp

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Booky posted:

what if i think that translation thing (assuming we're thinking of the same thing and ur descrip about those tweets isn't exaggerated) and comicsgate freaks suck rear end but also that its lame af to vaguepost about them on a completely unrelated series about like, button labels on a port

Nah this is on me and the second tweet wasn't embedding so I only saw the first. I didn't actually know they publically followed up that they were just doing the button stuff, even though we knew that was the case so it came off as more trying to get the usual comicsgate idiots riled up which gently caress them obviously but it caused a bunch of people to think she was like reTLing the whole game for some reason which was annoying to me the past 24 hours

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 14, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Neeksy posted:

2 has the protag and the antag exchanging expensive trinkets in front of a bridal shop when they're kids, and one of the canon choices is dating him, we haven't reached that height ever since.

I'm pretty sure the P3P FeMC canon love interest is Ryoji.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

im gonna give one final thought on the tweeter person thing before deciding to talk about smth else and thats: comicsgate (or related) freaks should be kicked into the sun or alternatively mercilessly trolled On Line for 9 years straight imo (tho also if there Are any actual line changes slim as it might be, it'll prob just be like smt3 hd or p5 royal or w/e where some stuff gets tweaked)

Neeksy posted:

that part is win, tatsuya is bi af in 2 and it rules
do u all think p6 will shake up the status quo of modern persona in any way what with the director change?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

they have literally been receiving death threats from shitheads for an extended period of time long before even this news (which has literally sparked it up again to the point some loc people have had to lock their twitters pre-emptively) so honestly I can't exactly blame them for assuming that as the default based on their own personal experience, tbh. its the same poo poo as people automatically thinking any kind of backlash is vagina bones 2.0/3.0/etc just because of how long the bad faith vitriolic responses have been flooding in the past few years

edit: also again how is someone going 'hey, im in charge of a thing! im excited for this thing' "trying to get comicsgate people riled up", are people not allowed to announce projects they're involved with anymore? :rolleyes: it really reads like you just had a pre-assumption and didn't even bother to check for full context, which is ironically what the 50+ people in the replies making up a person to get mad about have been doing lol

Mix. fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 14, 2022

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i will never not lol at Vagina Bones, its up there with Dimitri Kills Women. or the open palm slam or navy seals copypastas

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mix. posted:

they have literally been receiving death threats from shitheads for an extended period of time long before even this news (which has literally sparked it up again to the point some loc people have had to lock their twitters pre-emptively) so honestly I can't exactly blame them for assuming that as the default based on their own personal experience, tbh. its the same poo poo as people automatically thinking any kind of backlash is vagina bones 2.0/3.0/etc just because of how long the bad faith vitriolic responses have been flooding in the past few years

edit: also again how is someone going 'hey, im in charge of a thing! im excited for this thing' "trying to get comicsgate people riled up", are people not allowed to announce projects they're involved with anymore? :rolleyes: it really reads like you just had a pre-assumption and didn't even bother to check for full context, which is ironically what the 50+ people in the replies making up a person to get mad about have been doing lol

Yeah. You're right. I think her showing this past week was really lovely and harmful and it led me to being a dumbass about an unrelated thing so I apologize for making a fool of myself.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

but that isn't an awesome gay couple in an atlus game?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Booky posted:

On the upside the PSP is still pretty great and I don't think it's been outdone by anything since in terms of the form factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

AlternateNu posted:

You misspelled Elizabeth.