Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

zoux posted:

I hope you like pain.

We're all Star Wars fans here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

galenanorth posted:

I suspect that they're going to make her switch sides, and because of that they didn't want to show her doing anything too evil like Vader dragging villagers by the neck while force choking them, because if she returns as an ally in the second season they're worried in the long-run it implies an endorsement of that behavior

Jason Statham murdered Han and no one gave a poo poo later on.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Man I don’t even remember that. TFA was truly dire

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The Throne Room fight in TLJ owns, y'all are boring.

:hmmyes:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's kind of silly to realistically analyze fight scene choreography in movies. Of course the mooks are standing around waiting for their turn to fight the heroes, it's a movie! That's their job! The emotional stakes of the throne room scene make it work.

To pick another example, when Luke goes berserk after Vader threatens to turn Leia evil in RotJ, his saberplay isn't "tactically sound" or whatever, he's wailing on Vader like he's got a baseball bat. He's angry as hell and that's what the scene is about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The most important criterion for any fictional show is absolute fidelity to reality, that is to say, that all characters make the same decisions that I would in their place

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Rochallor posted:

It's kind of silly to realistically analyze fight scene choreography in movies. Of course the mooks are standing around waiting for their turn to fight the heroes, it's a movie! That's their job! The emotional stakes of the throne room scene make it work.

To pick another example, when Luke goes berserk after Vader threatens to turn Leia evil in RotJ, his saberplay isn't "tactically sound" or whatever, he's wailing on Vader like he's got a baseball bat. He's angry as hell and that's what the scene is about.
If I was the filmmaker I would simply avoid this problem by not pointing the camera at the guys in the background while they bumble around.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rochallor posted:

Given how much technical proficiency Luke has with a sword, I'm surprised his default isn't "swing like club."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Farm Frenzy posted:

If I was the filmmaker I would simply avoid this problem by not pointing the camera at the guys in the background while they bumble around.

Come on.

It’s a small indie studio on a pretty limited budget.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rochallor posted:

Yeah I think it's fine for fights to be different stylistically as long as it's good to watch. Heck in the prequels the combatants have probably had a lot more practice fighting so maybe it makes sense that their fights are more graceful.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Nodoze posted:

I know the original intention of the clip was to point out how much better it's shot, and it is. But it also highlights one of my beefs with Mando in that EVERYONE only aims for where his armor is every time.

Also I know it's a meme to post the Anakin and Obi-Wan twirling gif but that fight is actually really well done in a technical level aside from that part. The prequels lightsaber fights are easily better than any of the Disney ones

The whole lightsaber twirling and much of are visual representations of how their fighting styles mirror eachother given that Obi-Wan trained Anakin. It's fine.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Noam Chomsky posted:

The whole lightsaber twirling and much of are visual representations of how their fighting styles mirror eachother given that Obi-Wan trained Anakin. It's fine.

It just looks dumb as hell when looped together in never-ending gif format. Again, you can blame RedLetterMedia for that.

the prequels still suck assssssss

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

the prequels still suck assssssss

:frogout:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The shot with the speeder and Reva made me think of a puppet show, like the puppeteer holding a speeder model at the upper corner of the little stage. Doesn't matter that the model proportions and perspective relative to the puppet are all off because it's just to loosely depict what happened.

Overall I get the sense that this show is roughly storyboarded, or lifted from a comic book, without any of the connective tissue thought out. Like if I saw a few static images of the base attack I wouldn't need any explanation of how Obi Wan et al really got away because a few key shots of speeders firing and the heroes opening fire and Reva being distracted are all I need for me to fill in the blanks in my imagination but on screen it just doesn't strike me that they figured out how all of it actually happened. Or how to time it right. Everyone there on the Empire's side has to be comically bad at everything for things to work. The plot armour for our heroes is so thick I don't think a lightsaber could go through it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I realize this is damning with faint praise, but: the prequels are bad, but for better or worse, they are clearly the product of one person's artistic sensibility and vision. They're George Lucas-y to a fault. So they're inherently more memorable and distinct than the sequel trilogy, because George Lucas is a brilliant god drat weirdo with only the remotest understanding of how other human beings function, and with the prequels he didn't have to compromise with anyone on anything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hazo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL83p4GxAvw&t=253s

"What makes this bad? Like what exactly is bad about it?"

"Okay, well, go... go to the beginning."

edit: I still crack up at the guy who just charges unarmed into Kylo's lightsaber. "What was HIS plan???"

These guys did a job for a right wing coffee company. They have no business being.

They can choke on my lightsaber

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RshUWUPgo8k&t=43s

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

It just looks dumb as hell when looped together in never-ending gif format. Again, you can blame RedLetterMedia for that.
It kind of doesn't even look dumb then if you know why it's happening. Like, they didn't accidentally miss with their swords. It's not like the choreographers, which had the swords hitting in every other scene, just kind of messed up on that one. That scene happens for a reason and means something.

I'm not really into action scenes, and I'm not an expert in what makes a good one, but I really enjoyed the duel on Mustafar. The emotional weight behind it and its grueling length are really effective at communicating the feeling and meaning of what's going on. Having a moment where they just swing past each other, reading each other too well to either parry or strike, definitely adds to that whole atmosphere.

It's cool.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/StarWars_Direct/status/1536156372349460482?t=cPnKP7lgUkvgBEFODtNkYw&s=19

Already booked my tickets.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Imagined posted:

I realize this is damning with faint praise, but: the prequels are bad, but for better or worse, they are clearly the product of one person's artistic sensibility and vision. They're George Lucas-y to a fault. So they're inherently more memorable and distinct than the sequel trilogy, because George Lucas is a brilliant god drat weirdo with only the remotest understanding of how other human beings function, and with the prequels he didn't have to compromise with anyone on anything.

The biggest failure of the prequels is on the actual filmmaking level. The dialogue isn't great, but there's plenty of great movies that have awkward dialogue, and if you remove the incredibly awkward Anakin/Padme scenes it brings the average way up. Pretty much any scene with Palpatine or Dooku is great, and there's the lovely opera scene in RotS (allegedly written by Tom Stoppard, natch). And there's some lovely themes running throughout the trilogy.

But my god has the CGI in those movies aged poorly. TPM looks alright, but the latter two practically look like the Clone Wars cartoon! Some of the compositing is downright comedic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Likely because as I understand it, TPM was the only prequel film that wasn’t shot almost entirely against a green screen

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What kind of reception would the prequels get if Disney updated the cgi?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

ruddiger posted:

What kind of reception would the prequels get if Disney updated the cgi?

As bad as some of it looks (especially the clones, my god), I think the issues with the prequels are deeper than that. The issues with the CGI are a byproduct of a lazy production that was shooting first or second drafts and as Larryb said, using greenscreens for practically everything so Lucas could change his mind about what a scene should look like all the way up until release day.

It's harped on in the RLM reviews too, but the documentary for Episode I has a scene where the crew sit down and realize the ending of the movie doesn't work, but then they just keep it that way. That documentary is wild, by the way, and you should all watch it if you haven't. You'll realize immediately why people thought Jar Jar would be cool and why everybody ended up hating him.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I never hated jar jar

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Larryb posted:

Likely because as I understand it, TPM was the only prequel film that wasn’t shot almost entirely against a green screen

The Naboo scenes in AotC use a lot of location work. Some of Tatooine is as well I think.

Basically none of RotS is outside of a few reference shots for compositing.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Everyone posted:

The Inquisitors, like Vader, are pretty clearly outside the normal Imperial chain of command. It's not like there's a rank chart in the Imperial Navy that reads Vice Admiral < Admiral < Sith Lord < Grand Admiral. The Inquisitors have authority. They can kill/torture/imprison pretty much anyone they want as long as they can even less-than-credibly cite "hunting Jedi" as an excuse. But that authority is likely ad hoc and provisional. The Inquisitors seems to be something Vader put together with Palpatine's permission (or at his request) to help hunt Jedi, but it's not like there's a Ministry of Inquisition in the actual government.

they're political police, just like the jedi were in the prequels

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

exmarx posted:

they're political police, just like the jedi were in the prequels

der kommissar's in town, wah-ohhh

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I don't care about Jar Jar, and after learning about how much Ahmed Best put into the role and what it cost him, I realize how hosed up the prequel rage really got.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I hear it's a double feature with Morbius.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Larryb posted:

Lucas filmed AOTC digitally instead of with 35mm film, but while it did provide a crisper image, it unintentionally made the green screen and 2002 era CGI characters stand out even more. It's why so much of the movie feels like you're watching a video game.

ROTS was also shot digitally, but they must've learned how to implement CGI better since it generally looks a lot less terrible.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I hear it's a double feature with Morbius.

Hey, maybe this time Morbius will actually make some money then :v:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rochallor posted:

The biggest failure of the prequels is on the actual filmmaking level. The dialogue isn't great, but there's plenty of great movies that have awkward dialogue, and if you remove the incredibly awkward Anakin/Padme scenes it brings the average way up. Pretty much any scene with Palpatine or Dooku is great, and there's the lovely opera scene in RotS (allegedly written by Tom Stoppard, natch). And there's some lovely themes running throughout the trilogy.

But my god has the CGI in those movies aged poorly. TPM looks alright, but the latter two practically look like the Clone Wars cartoon! Some of the compositing is downright comedic.

Yesterday I watched the first half of Phantom Menace with my son (his first Starwars Movie. :allears:)
And yeah, the CGI has not aged well. I mean it's acceptable, but so many parts are so painfully CGI. Having just watched parts of the OT when they were on TV I can't believe some of the old puppet stuff actually holds up better than this.
Except the Podracing though. That actually still looks certified amazing. But stuff like the space ships, the creatures and the invasion you just see a tiny black outline pop around the humans and the lighting change on the cgi thing whenever they share a screen.
Also man, some of that dialogue is much rougher than I remember. Still, regardless of that I just can't help but enjoy it. It's just such a fun and odd adventure that for me just works. Invasion, escape, faffing about on Tatooine (where they do a whole lot of setting up mysteries and skills) for half an hour. Watching this, there's so much stuff happening that isn't people killing each other or running around. The contrast with the loud ST is just straight up amazing. The universe feels huge and alive.
It's like Canto Bight or the Festival in RoTS done right. Actually have people interacting, doing stuff that isn't running around for the plot.
My son loved the first part though. He found it quite funny and the Podracing tense. I can't wait to watch the climax with him. :allears:

And after watching that I finally watched ep 4 of Obi Wan. Honestly, best episode so far. Tala was great. Obi Wan was great. Leia was good. Reva was acceptable for a change. The speeders were great, but too short. The mausoleum was a bit ridiculous, but this is Starwars and the stronghold of the biggest group of try hards.

There's some weird cutting again. Like how Tala apparently teleports from the control room to Reva to stop her from doing thing to Leia. But nothing quite as bad as the previous few episodes.
the absurdity of a laser apparently breaking the glass that was holding a literal ocean back
I just wish the Lightsaber would go back to being a laser instead of a whiffle bat. You see Obiwan literally whacking a stormtrooper 3 times before he goes down.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just watched the first Obi-Wan episode, and wow, I have not been that disappointed by entertainment in a long time. I didn't have high expectations or anything, but the way it's playing with classic stuff in a way that pains me so, I didn't see it coming. Oof.

Does the kidnapped baby Leia thing resolve within the episodes we have so far? Ideally by episode 2? I can't believe they went there, talk about unimaginative, unimaginably appalling. And I'm usually happy to see Flea too.

I'm gonna pass out, oh lord. Favreau lulled me into a sense of security, and then these other jokers went and made a show. Just tell a tale from the life story of Obi-Wan, like a cool samurai on the down-low. Maybe he helps people in subtle or inspiring ways. Don't threaten every other character we already saw in the movies. Even Uncle Owen gets in danger in the first ep. I'm surprised we didn't have Luke run into The Joker himself while we're at it. I'm highly offended.

I didn't even remember something could appall me so much. I just walked into this one, oh lord. This is not proper.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Nah it’s still going. It’s very terrible but idiots like it

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Heavy Metal posted:

Does the kidnapped baby Leia thing resolve within the episodes we have so far? Ideally by episode 2? I can't believe they went there, talk about unimaginative, unimaginably appalling. And I'm usually happy to see Flea too.

Do yourself a favour and stop watching

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Rochallor posted:

The biggest failure of the prequels is on the actual filmmaking level.

It's an easy cliche but mostly true, that the prequels are good stories told badly and the sequels are bad stories told well.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That DICK! posted:

Nah it’s still going

That is a nightmare, good to get this info in here though.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Do yourself a favour and stop watching

Thank you. Will do. I'll be back around for Mando and Ahsoka though naturally.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I'm really not sure how they're going to spin the whole part where a senator and his daughter are best buds with a Jedi but the Empire's cool enough with it to not try and kill them for another 9 years.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

These guys did a job for a right wing coffee company. They have no business being.

They can choke on my lightsaber

They've also outright said they're obessesed with and idolize/glorify military culture before, lmao. They're a bunch of chodes imo. Buncha COD brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

teagone posted:

They've also outright said they're obessesed with and idolize/glorify military culture before, lmao. They're a bunch of chodes imo. Buncha COD brains.
Not COD, Battlefield
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGeVqtG7k9g

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 14, 2022