Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
In terms of accent crimes, who can forget Kendra's...whatever that was. I heard the actress playing her could do a proper Jamaican accent, but the production thought the audience would struggle with it and this was the compromise they came up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

"dees ees a vompiyah, i om a vompiyah suh-laaayah"

Perfect...cut!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFhkKOLbo5Y
lol @ there being a slayer handbook but giles not giving it to buffy

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Khanstant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFhkKOLbo5Y
lol @ there being a slayer handbook but giles not giving it to buffy

It’s the giant gently caress off book from episode one.

That’s the joke after the joke.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

That giant gently caress-off book got SO much power in the comics. To write in it meant to change reality to fit what you wrote. WTF. I'm glad Buffy and Angel didn't continue. To have no impediments in a comic makes the writing go up its own rear end.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pan Dulce posted:

That giant gently caress-off book got SO much power in the comics. To write in it meant to change reality to fit what you wrote. WTF. I'm glad Buffy and Angel didn't continue. To have no impediments in a comic makes the writing go up its own rear end.

The current comic from Boom, what I've read of it is... fine. They don't do anything wild but reading the comic month to month it honestly feels like it skips an issue with how things progress. One of the main cast is a villain now, nobody seems to care very much. It's weird. Again, fine, but weird.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
an animated series would probably be a good fit for buffy, i'm surprised they've never tried it. they destroyed the world of the show in s7 with all that infinite slayer stuff, so they'd have to either ignore or walk it back, but i think it would suit how cartoonish the world is anyway and also probably be a good fit with the audience demographics. probably just invent a new slayer in a new fake town.

it would need some good writers though, who understand that the quotidian stuff was more important to the appeal of this world than the mythology.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

roomtone posted:

an animated series would probably be a good fit for buffy, i'm surprised they've never tried it.

Awwwww :3:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
ahahaha, i see. they did try in 2002 - okay, well that was a different era. they should try again.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

roomtone posted:

ahahaha, i see. they did try in 2002 - okay, well that was a different era. they should try again.
It would have been a pretty cool 2000s era cartoon.

For what it's worth, iirc, one of the Buffy Comics did a whole issue set in what that Cartoon Universe would have been like

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

roomtone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnUvZP7-5LM

For those who haven't seen it, here was the mock-up. Even if it doesn't have Sarah Michelle Gellar's voice, it still was a pretty good match.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

roomtone posted:

an animated series would probably be a good fit for buffy, i'm surprised they've never tried it. they destroyed the world of the show in s7 with all that infinite slayer stuff, so they'd have to either ignore or walk it back, but i think it would suit how cartoonish the world is anyway and also probably be a good fit with the audience demographics. probably just invent a new slayer in a new fake town.

it would need some good writers though, who understand that the quotidian stuff was more important to the appeal of this world than the mythology.

As noted it was tried, but also there's plenty of supernatural poo poo in the world and there's no reason a show couldn't focus on Muffy the Vampire Slayer in Cleveland or something and maybe have Buffy guest star.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The crazy-go-nuts post-show Buffyverse seems perfect for the kind of multiverse canonstravaganza many media properties are today. Into the Buffyverse.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ooh a Buffy thread!

Khanstant posted:

The crazy-go-nuts post-show Buffyverse seems perfect for the kind of multiverse canonstravaganza many media properties are today. Into the Buffyverse.
Someone mentioned the 2019 Boom Studios comics earlier; they've recently leaned hard into the multiverse thing, with one large storyline outright culminating in gathering a bunch of Buffys from a bunch of worlds.

Unfortunately the comics have also been getting a bit off the rails incomprehensible as well, but ehh that's comic books for ya

Still, the one great thing about this particular series is that it was eventually revealed, two years and twenty-five issues into its run, that it all takes place in the world without shrimp. No, seriously. :xd:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BrianWilly posted:

Ooh a Buffy thread!

Someone mentioned the 2019 Boom Studios comics earlier; they've recently leaned hard into the multiverse thing, with one large storyline outright culminating in gathering a bunch of Buffys from a bunch of worlds.

Unfortunately the comics have also been getting a bit off the rails incomprehensible as well, but ehh that's comic books for ya

Still, the one great thing about this particular series is that it was eventually revealed, two years and twenty-five issues into its run, that it all takes place in the world without shrimp. No, seriously. :xd:

So Red Lobster had a much harder time in that world?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Ooh a Buffy thread!

sign me up, i made some friggin jalepeno poppers the other day and they had friggin shrimps hidden inside where i assumed cheese would be and im still mad at shrimp about it!!!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pan Dulce posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnUvZP7-5LM

For those who haven't seen it, here was the mock-up. Even if it doesn't have Sarah Michelle Gellar's voice, it still was a pretty good match.

It's kind of funny they have everybody else's actor, but this was pre-HIMYM for Hannigan I guess.

BrianWilly posted:

I swear I read it month to month and it still feels like it's skipping things.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

BrianWilly posted:

Ooh a Buffy thread!

Do any of them have an eye-patch? This is an important metric for judging quality.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do any of them have an eye-patch? This is an important metric for judging quality.

No, but there's a Buffy who's built like a brick shithouse and benchpresses U-Hauls. A buff Buffy.

I've seen it compared to Marvel's Ultimate imprint and with the pacing it does kind of feel like that. The non-Bendis stuff at least.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The art through the arc unfortunately does no one any favors.

As you can tell from the dialogue...that's supposed to be Joyce :sweatdrop:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The Boom comic has plenty of ideas and changes I like, and I think (as far as I can tell) they've done away with the whole notion of "soul" the way Buffy used it for vamps. But unfortunately it's so confusingly written that I can't recommend it. It's not even that the plot is convoluted, it's that it fails to properly explain what's happening in a relatively straightforward plot. That twist with the shrimp though... now that was :discourse:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

On Target's Buy 2, Get 1 Free book sale, I took advantage and bought a ton of Buffy Boom! comics. They only go up to 4 on that site and the side comics, but I'm looking forward to having them, maybe posting here sometimes about them.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BrianWilly posted:

Ha, have they also shown the universe that is nothing BUT shrimp that Illyria mentioned in Angel?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gnome de plume posted:

No, but there's a Buffy who's built like a brick shithouse and benchpresses U-Hauls. A buff Buffy.

I've seen it compared to Marvel's Ultimate imprint and with the pacing it does kind of feel like that. The non-Bendis stuff at least.

Yeah, sorry. That is a dropped ball right there.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Buffy is a concept that only works because of SMG and the other core actors (but mainly SMG who perfectly understands how to thread the serious/sincere poo poo with "this is campy trash just embrace it")
Without her and to a much lesser extent ASH, AH, NB, EC, ect its just awful generic fanfic (what all comics are)

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i never really appreciated buffy/smg at all when i watched it as a kid. she wasn't as funny as the other characters, and i probably was less interested in her by default because she was a girl and that wasn't interesting to me at the time, but she gets asked to do just about everything over the course of the seven seasons and while the other main cast (except anthony stewart head, probably) struggles at SOME point, especially when the writing is degrading, i don't think she misses a single moment. there's no bit she does that puts me off. her career afterwards never really happened for some reason, and it might just be that she played buffy so well that anybody who knew about her wasn't interested in seeing her not be buffy

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

roomtone posted:

i never really appreciated buffy/smg at all when i watched it as a kid. she wasn't as funny as the other characters, and i probably was less interested in her by default because she was a girl and that wasn't interesting to me at the time, but she gets asked to do just about everything over the course of the seven seasons and while the other main cast (except anthony stewart head, probably) struggles at SOME point, especially when the writing is degrading, i don't think she misses a single moment. there's no bit she does that puts me off. her career afterwards never really happened for some reason, and it might just be that she played buffy so well that anybody who knew about her wasn't interested in seeing her not be buffy

It probably doesn't help the movies she did while Buffy was hot were, you know, like Cruel Intentions and I Know What You Did Last Summer even though she's fine in both but turd polishing and the impossibility thereof.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
She did Cruel Intentions, too. And the Scooby-Doo movies which were just blonder buffy

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Anyone ever see Ocean's 8? The ending that Anne Hatheway's character got is the ending/life that Sarah Michelle Gellar should have gotten for being just a consummate loving professional in everything she ever did. Even the weird movie with the crab.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 15, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SMG is really impressive. Getting started in soap operas, or at least having your early career now, is like the acting version of special forces camp. (Gellar won a Daytime Emmy there, even.) It probably explains her professionalism because soap opera filming doesn't have time to mess around.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Buffy herself is definitely a character I appreciate more with age. She's not as kooky as the others and doesn't have huge character development spikes like them but she doesn't need all that to be interesting and likable.

SMG was the perfect choice for the role.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Dawgstar posted:

SMG is really impressive. Getting started in soap operas, or at least having your early career now, is like the acting version of special forces camp. (Gellar won a Daytime Emmy there, even.) It probably explains her professionalism because soap opera filming doesn't have time to mess around.

You left out the part that's most impressive. She got started in soap opera at 14 and went to All My Children at 16. And on AMC she played Kendall Hart main diva character Erica Kane's 23 year old daughter-by-rape. So, not a kiddie role on that show either. Stretching your analogy a bit further, SMG trained as a actor Navy SEAL and then had to go kill bin Laden.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Still astounds me that SMG auditioned for Cordelia and got the lead and Charisma Carpenter auditioned for Buffy and got Cordelia Chase. In some alternate universe, they got both of them in the roles they auditioned for. Wonder how that would've looked?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pan Dulce posted:

Still astounds me that SMG auditioned for Cordelia and got the lead and Charisma Carpenter auditioned for Buffy and got Cordelia Chase. In some alternate universe, they got both of them in the roles they auditioned for. Wonder how that would've looked?

Sarah Michelle Gellar would have done fine as Cordelia Chase because consummate professional. I don't think Charisma would have done quite as well playing Buffy. She'd likely have leaned hard into the Kristy Swanson characterization unless I miss my guess. It might have made the Buffy/Angel scenes slightly less creepy since Carpenter looked like the late 20s she was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, Carpenter never quite managed to pull of 'teenager.' At least on Angel they politely ignored she was just out of high school.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah. I got the intention in the first few episodes was to suggest that she was just out of highschool and struggling to stay above water in a big city, but the character always read completely differently -- like it'd been at least five years since highschool, and she'd been stuck in a rut doing humiliating part-time work. She feels a lot more beaten down right from the start, like she's normalised surviving in the big city. There's not a lot of naivety there.

By the time you get to late Season 3 she's completely transitioned into an hippie earth mother (which I'll always argue was Jasmine's influence) and she's suddenly calling people "honey" and "baby" and it feels like she's just zoomed into her late thirties.

Honestly, Carpenter does a decent job differentiating the two different versions of the character early on in Season 4. I think her acting isn't the greatest midseason, particularly during Orpheus -- though the more I've heard about it, I can see why she'd be checked out -- but I really like what she does for a lot of the show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
She felt like a college graduate more than high school.

Plus their actual high school looked like a college campus and they were constantly hanging out at that bar. That whole setting of meeting friends and events going down at a central venue location didn't make much sense to me until a decade later when I was in college, working in service industry where the social circle & web naturally congregated at bars.

I forget that it's not "her" show. In my head and memories she's the Buffy of Angel, it's funny when rewatching it because I forget about and still halfway tune out the long Angel only stretches. He wasn't my favourite when show was new either, but nowadays feel just rotates between creepy, corny, and boringly mopey.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i listen to buffy podcasts at work sometimes and i finally found a good one that wasn't just two theatre nerds in their 30's with occasional ukelele skits, but they only did up until ep 1 of season 2 then abruptly stopped because the joss complaints were revived/expanded around that time and so the guy just said he didn't want to do the podcast anymore. loving joss!!! this one was actually making me laugh.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Honestly, Carpenter does a decent job differentiating the two different versions of the character early on in Season 4. I think her acting isn't the greatest midseason, particularly during Orpheus -- though the more I've heard about it, I can see why she'd be checked out -- but I really like what she does for a lot of the show.

yeah she was pregnant and most of her scenes had her minimally mobile, the story loving sucked and this was probably the nadir of her and the producers' relations, so i wouldn't hold any crappy performance in s4 (and it was crappy) against her actual abilities. she did great with everything before that.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 16, 2022

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Speaking of Cordy, I saw this and immediately agreed with the sentiment:

Willow has never been my favorite since the college years. She's inherently selfish and motivated by what she thinks is best for everyone, imposing her own will on things, literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sad question
May 30, 2020

Hot take time: while Buffy had modest budget the monster designs and costumes were generally really solid. With exception of werewolves. They look dumb. They move dumb. They are all around terrible. I know that the guy inside the costume is doing his best but that little run is awful.