Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Just got my email - have until the 16th to decide and I'm pretty on the fence. Is there a good resource for a rolling review/state of the Steam Deck type thing to help me come to decision?

Also to the thread - should I buy a steam deck?

e:sorry bad snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
yes

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
yes

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Raffles posted:

Just got my email - have until the 16th to decide and I'm pretty on the fence. Is there a good resource for a rolling review/state of the Steam Deck type thing to help me come to decision?

I probably shouldn't say this but if you keep the box then worst case you don't like it you can flip it on ebay for a couple of hundred more than you paid anyway.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Raffles posted:

It's very good OP

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

re: Amazon SD Card chat - Unless this is a cleverly named third party seller, Amazon is still selling fakes. Ended up ordering from B&H because the 1TB cards at BestBuy were massively marked up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Costo has a 400GB Sandisk for like $50 and it’s been working out great for me.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Don't buy things from Amazon.

sigher posted:

The only thing that hasn't worked on my Deck is Microsoft Flight Simulator for some reason, I've seen videos online of it working but it just hangs on a white screen for a minute or two before closing.

Did you try putting "-FastLaunch" in the launch options for the game?

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Uplay (or whatever they're calling it now) actually works?
Don't know about The Division, but I managed to install uPlay Ubisoft Connect and play through Far Cry Primal just fine with Proton.
This was on my desktop, but it has a similar config (AMD CPU & GPU)

Bourricot fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 14, 2022

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Uplay (or whatever they're calling it now) actually works?

Works well enough for Trackmania on Deck for me.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

interesting, deus ex mankind divided has a native linux version which the deck will default to - performance sucks and it struggles to maintain 40fps at medium settings

forcing it to use the windows version (by selecting proton in the properties) improves performance noticeably, the game hits 40fps easily at high settings

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ColdPie posted:

Did you try putting "-FastLaunch" in the launch options for the game?

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Also, I'm not familiar with the Linux file structure and can't find where the game files are installed. I'm trying to install the Seamless Coop mod for Elden Ring and I have to keep the files in the game folder, than I have to add the executable to Steam so it runs through proton. However, hhen I add the game I can't find the "primary" root directory the game files are in. I can navigate to the files through Steam by going to "Browse Local Files" but I don't know how to get there when browsing for the executable.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

sigher posted:

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Also, I'm not familiar with the Linux file structure and can't find where the game files are installed. I'm trying to install the Seamless Coop mod for Elden Ring and I have to keep the files in the game folder, than I have to add the executable to Steam so it runs through proton. However, hhen I add the game I can't find the "primary" root directory the game files are in. I can navigate to the files through Steam by going to "Browse Local Files" but I don't know how to get there when browsing for the executable.

the steam folder in Linux is organized exactly the same as it is in windows afaik with the exception that it's made hidden by default, as shown by the folder being ".steam"

the period marks it as hidden. you should make it so hidden folders are visible by default and you should be able to rename the folder to just "steam" without repercussion

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mentioned last night that my left trigger was a little mushy, but also realized it goes away when the system is cool. Must be caused by heat build up causing the plastic to expand on some micro level.

Anyways it sucks but I'm gonna stop worrying about it because it's really nbd

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
got my ear to the ground on tech news lately and the new bgi thing is apparently its called "Steam dreck" now. why the name change

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Stux posted:

got my ear to the ground on tech news lately and the new bgi thing is apparently its called "Steam dreck" now. why the name change

Not sure my friend. It was always the "Steam dreck" as far as I'm concerned

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Valve stole the name "Stream Deck" from Elgato but a lawsuit forced them to relocate the R and name it the "Steam Dreck"

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

How many posts do you average in the window between probes, Stux? You are fishing for them in like 3 threads so I'm curious how long you make it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

stux claims he's never fished for a probation. protesting too much, one might say

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
more line steam oreck because this joke sucks

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

https://sharedeck.games/ was posted on the subreddit and it seems really useful to check people's configurations in game for the amount of time you'll get out of them or other fun stats like FPS etc.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
About to be added to my block list christ. Can’t mods thread ban.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Deck will supposedly do power passthrough if plugged in when at > 90% charge, which is good for the battery's life. This reddit post says you can check current power status as follows.

nmkd posted:

Scroll down to the very bottom of the battery/performance tab of the Quick Access Menu.

If it says "Charging:" or "Discharging:", the battery is being used.

If it says "Capacity:", it's doing passthrough. and is neither charging nor discharging.

E: The threshold for this behavior is either not at 90 or even 92% or it's based on a more complex selection algorithm than is in the quote. I see it switch to charging even at 99.4% full if a game is running. There are brief periods where it will display at tick mark within the battery where it may be doing passthrough but that only lasts for minutes.

I trust Valve's engineers to be doing smart things, but it'd be good to have more detail on expected behaviors even from mere curiosity.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 14, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
An Average Gamer's look at the Steam Deck and what it offers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8fSTivd0TA

-I hadn't even heard of Heroic Launcher as a Lutris competitor before, sounds good
-Didn't know itch.io games could be installed to SD card
-It's funny how Cloud Gaming still isn't supported but then I guess neither MS nor Google have any incentive to do so, so right now it's DOA
-I thought Mortal Kombat wasn't supported but he has footage of it running, maybe streaming over Steam

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Valve Steam Deck posted:

-I hadn't even heard of Heroic Launcher as a Lutris competitor before, sounds good
-It's funny how Cloud Gaming still isn't supported but then I guess neither MS nor Google have any incentive to do so, so right now it's DOA
-I thought Mortal Kombat wasn't supported but he has footage of it running, maybe streaming over Steam

Xbox Cloud is supported through browser, since you can just install Chrome and play through there.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

njsykora posted:

Xbox Cloud is supported through browser, since you can just install Chrome and play through there.
He mentions that and says that the deck controls are not supported by either browser (Chrome or Firefox) for the streaming webapps and you have to manually map the controls to the keyboard but that doesn't really work right either

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Edge works.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Huh I had no idea Edge was on Linux (and I guess neither did he)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Huh I had no idea Edge was on Linux (and I guess neither did he)

Microsoft actually put out a step by step guide to getting x cloud running on the deck as well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Anyone know what game he's playing at 5:40?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone know what game he's playing at 5:40?

Oceanhorn, a pretty decent game that garnered Gamer Rage because it's a Zelda clone.

The sequel is a Breath of the Wild clone which is even funnier.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MarcusSA posted:

Microsoft actually put out a step by step guide to getting x cloud running on the deck as well.

Just to reinforce this because it's a legit good article and gamepass cloud works really well.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/topic/xbox-cloud-gaming-in-microsoft-edge-with-steam-deck-43dd011b-0ce8-4810-8302-965be6d53296

Microsoft couldn't be happier to help support a new device that will give you a reason to keep paying their subscription.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

gotta respect valve for being chill about allowing other launchers on the deck

once they support dual boot windows, i'm probably going to spending a fair bit of time going through the game pass catalog

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

njsykora posted:

Oceanhorn, a pretty decent game that garnered Gamer Rage because it's a Zelda clone.

The sequel is a Breath of the Wild clone which is even funnier.

Ha. It has a nice looking style for a little Zelda clone. Might check it out. Not sure how I never heard of it in the last decade.

Lockback posted:

Just to reinforce this because it's a legit good article and gamepass cloud works really well.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/topic/xbox-cloud-gaming-in-microsoft-edge-with-steam-deck-43dd011b-0ce8-4810-8302-965be6d53296

Microsoft couldn't be happier to help support a new device that will give you a reason to keep paying their subscription.

It’s probably more on valve than Microsoft. MS would probably throw a native gamepass option on there is valve let them. I’m hoping there’s a better option than cloud gaming or installing windows in the future but I’m not holding my breath

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Ha. It has a nice looking style for a little Zelda clone. Might check it out. Not sure how I never heard of it in the last decade.

It’s probably more on valve than Microsoft. MS would probably throw a native gamepass option on there is valve let them. I’m hoping there’s a better option than cloud gaming or installing windows in the future but I’m not holding my breath

Nothing is stopping Microsoft from releasing a native Linux Gamepass client if they really wanted to.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Quixzlizx posted:

Nothing is stopping Microsoft from releasing a native Linux Gamepass client if they really wanted to.

Given this prior support I would be shocked if it wasn’t out by the end of the year. I base this on nothing though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Its far more likely that Microsoft will sue Valve for violating the Direct3D 9.0c/Visual C++ Redistributable/.NET Runtime/etc. EULAs which forbid their use with non-Windows operating systems then they'll ever support running Windows programs on non-Windows operating systems.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if they were considering it, they'd probably want to wait to see what the actual sales numbers for the Deck are, before investing in it. like, windows gamepass is UWP and tied into windows pretty heavily, and there are plenty of games without native linux versions.

it'd be an easier path to integrate a game pass subscription into Steam itself so the games can go through Proton if they need to, but i don't know that that will ever happen. like, Steam EA Play still requires Origin to launch to play a number of their games

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I don't think Microsoft would ever do it, I was just pointing out that the Steam Deck is a Linux PC and not a Valve console, so Valve isn't stopping Microsoft from releasing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

pseudorandom name posted:

Its far more likely that Microsoft will sue Valve for violating the Direct3D 9.0c/Visual C++ Redistributable/.NET Runtime/etc. EULAs which forbid their use with non-Windows operating systems then they'll ever support running Windows programs on non-Windows operating systems.

They'd have an interesting time with this lawsuit given all of the official support they have given Steam Deck thus far:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/10/22971257/microsoft-steam-deck-xbox-game-studios-list

Probably not a good look to turn around and say "that thing we were helping them do by providing compatibility information? Well actually it's illegal,"