Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

I'm glad I never had kids.

As much as I love my nieces - they mean the world to me - sometimes I kind of wish my brother didn't either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

We all still have to remove our shoes at the airport because of one guy who failed to bomb a flight over 20 years ago, but cloth masks in packed public transport is an imposition too far.

Dont forget the mandatory groping because the other idiot tried to smuggle explosive budgies.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

your semi-regular reminder that while things are indeed looking proper poo poo, there is still a lot of beauty to enjoy in this world and if you can do so you should go enjoy it while you can

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

As much as I love my nieces - they mean the world to me - sometimes I kind of wish my brother didn't either

#blessedday

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
We are getting a mini heatwave in a few days. So I can come in and complain about not buying that AC that jose recommended us getting a while back. :)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Those are great pictures Dan, thanks for posting.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Barry Foster posted:

With apologies for the meme format, I'm rather fond of this take:

https://twitter.com/StrongMatt420/status/1536338200108716032

I'm sure your nieces will grow up to be part of the solution and you get to be the cool uncle which is a great role to have.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Rang my local surgery this morning at 0802 (lines open at 0800)to book an appt, and I was number 23 in the queue. And this is just to book appointments for this morning. And our surgery only has one GP.

Everything is fine.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My kids are going to grow up feral and awesome like the last generation in Children of Men that live just to gently caress stuff up.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Those are great pictures Dan, thanks for posting.

Thanks- I have a twitter account set to post pics twice daily if you are on there

https://twitter.com/TheFiveAcres?t=a_xm0RQiM2dtTG47ZJwFDQ&s=09

The Perfect Element posted:

Rang my local surgery this morning at 0802 (lines open at 0800)to book an appt, and I was number 23 in the queue. And this is just to book appointments for this morning. And our surgery only has one GP.

Everything is fine.

If it's due to open at 0800 then you want to call about 07:59:45 or so, this is my fairly foolproof system

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Guavanaut posted:

Yorkie was just the opening salvo in the barrage of poo poo that led to

And yet they cancelled kleenex for their mansize tissues.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They should have called them Jizz Ragz in an xtreme font.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/callumcant1/status/1536627311696613376

A possibly useful thread.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

With apologies for the meme format, I'm rather fond of this take:

https://twitter.com/StrongMatt420/status/1536338200108716032

I'm sure your nieces will grow up to be part of the solution and you get to be the cool uncle which is a great role to have.

Well, I mean them science men seem to think that there's a 90% chance that there isn't a solution and I guess I don't think it's worth them dying of starvation or violence when they're approximately my age just on a 10% things may be slightly less Permanently hosed but I'm a glass half empty kinda guy (and I recognise that while human extinction isn't something we've had to deal with since that one genetic bottleneck way back when, dying young by starvation or violence has been common as muck for all but the last hundred years or so and even then it's only not been as big a problem in the global north, so I suppose I can't complain that they won't be as spoiled as we have been)

But yes, I am the cool uncle and I am really enjoying that

EDIT sorry, don't feel any requirement to reply, I really don't wanna drag anyone into the misery spiral (I know that that's an impulse I have and I'm trying to fight it) so I'm gonna drop the subject now

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 14, 2022

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Guavanaut posted:

Yorkie was just the opening salvo in the barrage of poo poo that led to

Which seems ridiculous untill you remember the men who won't wash their arses in the shower because the online manosphere has taught them touching a bum is gay. A generation of angry chuds with minging buttcracks but like, scrupulously tidy rooms.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The approach that study takes is certainly an interesting one.

The TLDR is basically that they worked out a likely tipping point for deforestation beyond which the biosphere is irrevocably hosed. Then they set up a simulation of human technological advancement, using energy generation as a metric, to see how fast we're likely to reach the point where colonisation of other planets in the solar system is possible. They ran the simulation over and over, and in 90% of runs we hit biosphere collapse before we hit colony ships. The idea that we might stop deforestation in the next 20-40 years was not part of the parameters of the study. Make of that what you will.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Isomermaid posted:

Which seems ridiculous untill you remember the men who won't wash their arses in the shower because the online manosphere has taught them touching a bum is gay. A generation of angry chuds with minging buttcracks but like, scrupulously tidy rooms.
Hopefully it'll be a self-resolving problem as they all fall down the toilet because putting the lid down is for women.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i look forward to the upcoming kudzu/humbolt squid ecosystem once all the trees vanish in a puff of smoke because we didn't finish the colony ship secret project in time

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

oh the reply I intended to make, it looks like 50 times is bad? so like 5 times doesnt sound that bad? But also dont take that as reason to continue on this journey.

no

More seriously of course.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tarnop posted:

The TLDR is basically that they worked out a likely tipping point for deforestation beyond which the biosphere is irrevocably hosed. Then they set up a simulation of human technological advancement, using energy generation as a metric, to see how fast we're likely to reach the point where colonisation of other planets in the solar system is possible. They ran the simulation over and over, and in 90% of runs we hit biosphere collapse before we hit colony ships. The idea that we might stop deforestation in the next 20-40 years was not part of the parameters of the study. Make of that what you will.

It's a bit of a spherical cow simplification, but in a world where all historical examples of cows have already been demonstrated to be perfectly spherical

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tarnop posted:

Novara Media had an interview with George Monbiot who spoke about ecological tipping points. The 'classic' example he referred to was the US dust bowl, where cultivation of the land with no care for the realities of the environment caused environmental collapse.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a bit of a spherical cow simplification, but in a world where all historical examples of cows have already been demonstrated to be perfectly spherical

Yeah that particular assumption doesn't seem unreasonable, especially given that all the symptoms of deforestation tend to be lagging indicators.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Barry Foster posted:

EDIT sorry, don't feel any requirement to reply, I really don't wanna drag anyone into the misery spiral (I know that that's an impulse I have and I'm trying to fight it) so I'm gonna drop the subject now

Don't worry about it Barry, you're a good poster and I've had similar thoughts sometimes.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nonsense posted:

England should annex Ireland.

Counterpoint, Ireland should annex England

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Not enough was made about keir's middle name being rodney.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Got a text from debt recovery agency Advantis saying they recently contacted me and I should phone them, but I've had no letters. Not sure what it is - could be HMRC but apparently they send three letters before passing on debt and again I've had nothing. The number looks like Advantis' actual number so don't think it's one of those scam texts. Should I ignore the whole thing until I get any actual written correspondence?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's probably worth contacting them through whatever means they list on their site, just make sure you don't agree to anything and make it very clear that you've received nothing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jippa posted:

He was named after Dave

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

E: on second thought the poster below me probably knows more about this than I do

TACD fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 14, 2022

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Lamont posted:

Got a text from debt recovery agency Advantis saying they recently contacted me and I should phone them, but I've had no letters. Not sure what it is - could be HMRC but apparently they send three letters before passing on debt and again I've had nothing. The number looks like Advantis' actual number so don't think it's one of those scam texts. Should I ignore the whole thing until I get any actual written correspondence?

Look up their real number and call that - don't ignore it or you'll get someone turning up at your door - either a bailiff with a CCJ or just a doorknocker, and they'll charge you for the privilege.

(edit)
Others are saying wait for a letter - don't !
You can get a CCJ without being aware of it if they don't have the correct contact details, and they will keep adding charges to any original debt.
If you're in doubt, contact someone like Stepchange (I used to work for them as an advisor) or Citizens Advice... but they'll just tell you to call Advantis and find out what's going on.

Advantis may be working for whoever the debt is with or they may have bought the debt- so hearing from a collection agency doesn't necessarily mean the debt has been passed on.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 14, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jippa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl9hDAvPOL8

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/misanthropicc92/status/1536672680497250305?s=19

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just saw that the Just Eat CEO is made the cost of living tsar. Cool poo poo

also: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/some-primary-school-pupils-unable-to-say-their-names-teachers-report-srk68pkzm

quote:

Some primary school pupils unable to say their names, teachers report

Children are arriving at school unable to say their own names or drink from cups, The Times Education Commission’s final report will reveal this week.

https://archive.ph/CULkJ

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

quote:

She told the commission: “We’ve got about 50 per cent of the children in reception and nursery who are not toilet-trained. We have to employ care workers just to change nappies. We’ve got children who are still drinking from bottles with teats when they start school. They are four years old and their language will include the word ‘bot-bot’, because that’s their communication for ‘Can I have a drink please?’

“We’re seeing children coming in still on baby food. We had one child arrive having had 14 teeth removed. I have a parent who brings their child to school in a shopping trolley because it’s the cheapest mode of transport.”

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What the gently caress is going on!?

Also I just paid £220 to have a dental check up and a loving filling put in, no wonder the yanks think we all have teeth like Stonehenge. Look after your teeth people!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The pandemic and overworked parents are leading to a massive decline in young development.

quote:

She said: “One child I heard about needed intensive physiotherapy because they didn’t have the strength in their legs to walk the amount they needed to at school. Some children spend so much time in front of the TV they’re physically not developing their muscle tone.

Hah hah haaahhhhhhhhhh :smith:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Sounds to me like a critical lack of boostraps

These kids and their indolent parents should bootstrap up some bootstraps

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Kids need to stop skipping leg day.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Sturgeon's gonna try for indyref 2: electric boogaloo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Counterpoint, Ireland should annex England

Special Military Operations for everyone!