Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I love the wording, like they had a congenial sports match where you can only expect a winner and a loser

pedestrian got hit, got up, and beat the driver to death :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

As we can see, though, 'protective equipment' like a crosswalk absolutely does not protect people; paint is not protection. And I'm pretty clearly not drawing an equivalence between walking and cycling per se but rather between the danger you're exposed to as a pedestrian or cyclist, and that danger is not by any means a false equivalence based on how many cyclists and pedestrians end up dead or disabled every year.

So we can both see the absurdity of telling pedestrians to wear helmets, but the absurdity of telling cyclists to wear helmets is a little fuzzier. Like I said earlier, I wear a helmet on pretty much every trip I take by bike. But I do so knowing that not only is a styrofoam hat not the solution, on a societal level our love of helmets - and telling cyclists to wear them - is part of the problem. You see it every time a report about a dead cyclist notes whether or not they were wearing a helmet, calls it an accident, absolves the driver, and includes basically no other details about anything anyone else was doing. If we could just get a few more people to wear helmets, things would be better.

except, uh, here's the end result of an international experiment to see whether haranguing people about helmets or building safe streets is more effective at preventing deaths

check out those helmet rates, USA number one baby. awooo

I'm sure you and I don't disagree about safe streets because here we are in this thread, but that's why I was saying it's good to distinguish between helmets as a piece of safety equipment which might help you and helmets as the thing that every cop reaches for when they explain why a cyclist just got turned into a red mist by a driver. the choice is between a traffic system that separates different types of traffic and slows drivers on the one hand, and a system where cyclists get hit all the time and a few get lucky because the specifics of their crash meant the helmet saved them but most don't. there is no third option. there is no way to helmet your way out of these roads

edit- but yes, death to cars. i offer this as an olive branch to you, pfc

Very interesting chart, but fatalities is kind of a crude metric. Wearing a helmet can spare you from brain damage and the ensuing disabilities.

Really though, I don’t understand why helmet wearers get so bent out of shape over it. Not wearing a helmet is a big self-own. If you wanna risk your health like that, have at it

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Riding against the flow of traffic is the real hot take, anyways :twisted:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1536438301653192705

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

done

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

grinding my rear end into dust on my cyberpunk bike seat,

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

nice car rear end in a top hat

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

nice car rear end in a top hat

that’s right

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

how many large dogs can you fit in that thing?

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Very interesting chart, but fatalities is kind of a crude metric. Wearing a helmet can spare you from brain damage and the ensuing disabilities.

Really though, I don’t understand why helmet wearers get so bent out of shape over it. Not wearing a helmet is a big self-own. If you wanna risk your health like that, have at it

I know a couple of people who are only alive because of wearing a helmet biking. I think it's bad when people die completely preventable deaths or get preventable brain damage :shrug:

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Just snuck in a nice long ride before the storm stared. Feeling blessed today

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

grinding my rear end into dust on my cyberpunk bike seat,

it doesn't look like it has pedals so this is less of an issue. actually, I can't tell where the hell your feet are supposed to go. do they just dangle down by the propeller?

Apr 7, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

it doesn't look like it has pedals so this is less of an issue. actually, I can't tell where the hell your feet are supposed to go. do they just dangle down by the propeller?

Grats on thinking more about this than the guy who made this mock-up.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:49 on Jun 14, 2022

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1536719441680928768 wtf :stare:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

by the year 2030 or 2040 the china / us divide is going to be hilarious. they're going to have teleporters and food replicators, while we drive rusted hulks to walmart to pay $100k for expired dog insulin

Apr 7, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

by the year 2030 or 2040 the china / us divide is going to be hilarious. they're going to have teleporters and food replicators, while we drive rusted hulks to walmart to pay $100k for expired dog insulin

Our media will still talk about how America is the greatest country on earth and will refer to residents of more developed countries as "villagers" like they did the Japanese during the Fukoshima disaster.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Anything China does is automatically bad so it's going to take like 30 years of the rest of the world massively expanding investment in transit before it will even start to occur to the US that it might have done something wrong by continuing to focus on cars. Also for at least 50% of americans it doesn't matter because the lovely suburban lifestyle where you spend half your life in traffic is what they want even if trains in the entire rest of the world start being massively faster than cars. Plus, self driving cars are going to magically make driving faster in the future so why bother doing stuff?

It really sucks to think how much money the world has poured into loving everything up with cars and how great transit could have been by now with all that money instead.

mystes has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Jun 14, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/papapishu/status/1536530942080212992?s=21&t=9a6P6__2WHdTqrnyMj2Mhw

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Buy a golf cart, why do I keep having to say this.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think that's basically what Smart was but I guess they stopped selling them in the US. Also, all new cars are too expensive now though.

But luckily making cars cheaper isn't the problem we need to work on anyway

mystes has issued a correction as of 16:37 on Jun 14, 2022

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mystes posted:

Anything China does is automatically bad so it's going to take like 30 years of the rest of the world massively expanding investment in transit before it will even start to occur to the US that it might have done something wrong by continuing to focus on cars. Also for at least 50% of americans it doesn't matter because the lovely suburban lifestyle where you spend half your life in traffic is what they want even if trains in the entire rest of the world start being massively faster than cars. Plus, self driving cars are going to magically make driving faster in the future so why bother doing stuff?

It really sucks to think how much money the world has poured into loving everything up with cars and how great transit could have been by now with all that money instead.

racism is a major factor so the US is completely brain damaged and self inflicted because cars were the dogwhistle segregation with urban planning revolving around it. Who do you think were first in line to get cars and could afford them in the first place. The demon crackers, thats who

thats why there's still a social status myth tied to it, and people are too indoctrinated to see how batshit that is

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think it's entirely "the US rejects everything China does BECAUSE of racism." A lot of it is just "the US can't accept the idea that any country could be better than the US in any way, so it latches on to any excuse (including racism) for why what China is doing isn't actually better even when it's complete nonsense."

We also do the same thing about transit in other countries, but China is more comparable to the US in various ways including size, so some of the excuses we use for other countries don't really work for China and we have to fall back on "building trains is evil communism" or "the trains must secretly be defective" or something which can be quite racist but I feel like a lot of the underlying motivation is just Americans being so fragile that they literally can't accept even the teensiest tiniest bit of criticism whatsoever.

mystes has issued a correction as of 16:43 on Jun 14, 2022

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
crash requirements are probably the biggest hurdle but small cars are so much better than anything.

My first car that i bought myself, for better or worse, was a brand new base model 2004 honda civic coupe which weighed 2200lbs and i could stick my foot out the door and pedal it along it was so light and it made me really appreciate weight (or lack of really) as a feature of a vehicle

Apr 7, 2003

This is the least expensive new vehicle on the Ford lot closest to me

lmaooooo

mystes
May 31, 2006

lmaooooo
This is also a problem that the US is literally incapable of solving right now.

If car prices continue to go up because of supply chain issues/inflation/car companies not bothering to make cheaper cars/americans refusing to by non-SUVs, IMO the most plausible solution that that the US will try to come up with is probably.... something like Fannie Mae to ensure most Americans can take out loans to buy $200,000k cars.

As this gets worse, any attempt to discourage cars will just be dismissed even more strongly as being anti-poor people.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mystes posted:

I don't think it's entirely "the US rejects everything China does BECAUSE of racism." A lot of it is just "the US can't accept the idea that any country could be better than the US in any way, so it latches on to any excuse (including racism) for why what China is doing isn't actually better even when it's complete nonsense."

We also do the same thing about transit in other countries, but China is more comparable to the US in various ways including size, so some of the excuses we use for other countries don't really work for China and we have to fall back on "building trains is evil communism" or "the trains must secretly be defective" or something which can be quite racist but I feel like a lot of the underlying motivation is just Americans being so fragile that they literally can't accept even the teensiest tiniest bit of criticism whatsoever.

im more referring to a historical precedent that shapes cultural attitudes in invisible ways so its absolutely a factor to the intransigience

agents of white supremacists use cars as a culture war cudgel without being aware of the tradition, but they know that it feels right to do so instinctually without having to look up the history because cars are american as apple pie :911:

the superiority mentality literally comes from that, and the criticism is percieved as an attack on their vacuum reality and way of life

our economic ethos, modus operandi, is predicated on racism 100% baked into it. Being sinophobic only bolsters that unwillingness to concede and adapt

Lastgirl has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Jun 14, 2022

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

A helmet may do this, yes. Overall the odds are pretty good that it will. But it definitely won't do anything about serious or fatal injuries sustained by any other part of the body. The only way to prevent that is to prevent people from being hit in the first place, which is why it's useful to distinguish between the helmet as a piece of protective gear that's fairly effective at preventing certain types of injuries and the helmet as it exists for car-brained policy-makers, police, politicians, and the public at large, for whom it's a substitute for safe streets and a means of shifting the responsibility for injuries and deaths away from drivers and traffic engineers and the guys who design 9000 lb trucks and towards cyclists instead.

Take another look at that chart with our sky-high helmet use rates and also sky-high death rates and then think about the hierarchy of controls used to prevent workplace deaths and injuries. It's the same principle, and that's what every PSA about bike helmets promoted by a city/state/national government that insists on maintaining insanely dangerous roads is trying to paper over.

in summary, i hate cars

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
^ I agree but theres no getting through to these people unless you take their drivers license away

car brained fucks need to shut up about helmets and just have the courage to admit that they look down on anyone not driving around in a car

Apr 7, 2003

insanely loving twisted up about helmets lmao

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lmaooooo

that same vehicle where I am is 30k lol

this was the cheapest vehicle I found

I think my parents actually got one of these, they are going down to one car which is good, but they can't really do electric because they live in a giant senior co-op, and the logistics of providing chargers for all the ~100 parking spots wouldn't work, mainly from the standpoint of how to bill each unit for their space's usage

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

that same vehicle where I am is 30k lol

this was the cheapest vehicle I found

I think my parents actually got one of these, they are going down to one car which is good, but they can't really do electric because they live in a giant senior co-op, and the logistics of providing chargers for all the ~100 parking spots wouldn't work, mainly from the standpoint of how to bill each unit for their space's usage

Ecosport is discontinued now

The issue is that these things are getting insanely more expensive and there's nothing replacing them, no other options, no humancentric development, just the idea that Americans should just pay half their gross income to commute to work forever.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
if people are truly concerned about people surviving their bike trips please start posting "twenty is plenty" at everyone, tia. People drive way too loving fast and they must be stopped

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

if people are truly concerned about people surviving their bike trips please start posting "twenty is plenty" at everyone, tia. People drive way too loving fast and they must be stopped
i personally won't stop at 20, we can go further

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/sam_d_1995/status/1536532308303519745?s=20&t=fo4O6T6exlc5n2tgHv1fqA

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Just a reminder that drivers pass closer to bicyclists who wear helmets:

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a25358099/drivers-give-helmet-cyclists-less-room/

Gee, I wonder if that has anything to do with the high helmet-wearing rates along with the simultaneously high fatality rates in the US, a country with some of the worst bicycle infrastructure in the world?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

"twenty is plenty"

our absolutely worthless department of transportation, which is currently just a few years away from closing out a decade-long Vision Zero campaign with a higher death rate than when the campaign began, had a huge rollout for lawn signs here last year. this picture of the department director is somewhere so deep on the infuriating/cringe axis that I can't bear to look at it for long

https://twitter.com/DDOTDCDirector/status/1432363495585107973

holding a sign too small for drivers to see, facing the opposite way of oncoming traffic, desperately begging drivers to slow down in lieu of doing anything that would actually make drivers slow down. loving humiliating. and meanwhile if you have a request for a new stop sign on your block or a protected bike lane to get you around town, they're happy to say no to that.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

our absolutely worthless department of transportation, which is currently just a few years away from closing out a decade-long Vision Zero campaign with a higher death rate than when the campaign began, had a huge rollout for lawn signs here last year. this picture of the department director is somewhere so deep on the infuriating/cringe axis that I can't bear to look at it for long

Minnesota ftw

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

Just a reminder that drivers pass closer to bicyclists who wear helmets:

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a25358099/drivers-give-helmet-cyclists-less-room/

Gee, I wonder if that has anything to do with the high helmet-wearing rates along with the simultaneously high fatality rates in the US, a country with some of the worst bicycle infrastructure in the world?

Love the stock image for "a car just cut me off but an extermination-level meteor is about to hit the earth so I guess it doesn't matter, huh"

mystes has issued a correction as of 18:13 on Jun 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/jhermann/status/1536128616551129090?s=21&t=m1ZBpqawsh6OSDski9G30A