Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

quantumfoam posted:

The Brick Moon, a 1869 scifi novella to my attention.

This rang a bell for me and it took awhile to twig it was used as a place name in one of the later Nemesis the Warlock books, a series second only to 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' for picking all manner of weird / obscure stuff out of history to use as fluff.

Also the story of the Gothic empire is based on Queen Victoria's reign, which your 1869 novel fits nicely into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
Just finished my journey through Gene Wolfe's Book of the Short Sun. I feel like a kid who went on a field trip through an avant garde art display exhibited in the basement of CERN with a schitzophrenic teacher who only communicated in Etch-a-Sketch. Well, that's a slight exaggeration but goddamn do I feel like I've got a second reading with a corkboard and some string in my future. It's funny how basic and straightforward Book of the Long Sun feels at the end of it all; those sweet simple times when you were fairly certain you fully understood the identity of your narrator at all times, and his position in space/time. Such simple children we were then. Such pure pleasures and innocent crimes. Back when narrators were only unreliable because they were people with regular person perspectives and not hybrid personality ghost... part alien.. revenant.. dreamlords???

But now it is time to unfurl my brain fist and read something with a name like Laser Platoon or Empire's Eternal Dragon or Detroit Wizard Plumbers or something, goddamn. Anybody got a recommend for something fresh and fun and low-strain?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Thread favourite / goon-project-made-good The Dawnhounds:
A. Is getting a worldwide release tomorrow, and
B. just got a super lovely review from Tamsyn Muir.

If you read it and liked it when it got self-pubbed in 2019, you should read it again because it's been reworked and expanded, and is now the best version that it's ever been. If you haven't read it, read Tamsyn's review and see if it sounds like your kind of thing. The two best ways I've heard it described are "Jeff Vandemeer with a thick Kiwi accent" or "Discworld Elysium".

You can buy it from Amazon or wherever else you buy your books. This isn't an ad, I have no financial stake in this, I'm just super thrilled for Sascha and immensely proud of this book.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

cptn_dr posted:

If you read it and liked it when it got self-pubbed in 2019, you should read it again because it's been reworked and expanded, and is now the best version that it's ever been. If you haven't read it, read Tamsyn's review and see if it sounds like your kind of thing. The two best ways I've heard it described are "Jeff Vandemeer with a thick Kiwi accent" or "Discworld Elysium".

You can buy it from Amazon or wherever else you buy your books. This isn't an ad, I have no financial stake in this, I'm just super thrilled for Sascha and immensely proud of this book.

A book so nice I'll buy it twice. Thanks for the heads-up!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
“THE AMERICANS DO NOT NEED TO UNDERSTAND IT; THEY CAN WORK IT OUT VIA CONTEXT CLUES,” I shouted back unhelpfully.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

cptn_dr posted:

This describes me! I didn't know it had been reworked so I will definitely be buying it, I already liked it enough back then so I look forward to reading it again!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Approaching the end of Tchaikovsky's The Doors of Eden and while it's perfectly fine pass-the-time popcorn schlock, having one character say of two other characters' ambiguous relationship "I am shipping the gently caress out of you in my head canon" - like, she says it out loud to one of them, it's actual dialogue - made me want to throw my ereader in the bin out of sheer second-hand embarrassment

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

freebooter posted:

Approaching the end of Tchaikovsky's The Doors of Eden and while it's perfectly fine pass-the-time popcorn schlock, having one character say of two other characters' ambiguous relationship "I am shipping the gently caress out of you in my head canon" - like, she says it out loud to one of them, it's actual dialogue - made me want to throw my ereader in the bin out of sheer second-hand embarrassment

good news, for the same experience you can read anything written or recommended by tamsyn muir

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

freebooter posted:

Look, if you read between the lines of the novels it's obvious that Adrian is a bug-in-a-skin suit ala Men in Black trying their hardest to build a rapport with the humans. That line was probably cringeless in Pheremone-A, it just didn't translate well.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

freebooter posted:

Just consider it a preview of "Ready Player One: The Next Generation" that comes out in 20 years.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

moonmazed posted:

good news, for the same experience you can read anything written or recommended by tamsyn muir

You've gone too far

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
How are David Eddings "Belgariad" and "Mallorean" series? Are they enjoyable reads?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not really, they're completely by-the-numbers fantasy sagas.And they get a whole lot more uncomfortable once you start learning things about the author.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mr Hootington posted:

How are David Eddings "Belgariad" and "Mallorean" series? Are they enjoyable reads?

Written by a man who kept children in literal cages so uh

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Really? Jesus I had no idea. I just found the books while browsing hoopla.

I guess I will try this City of Brass book.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 14, 2022

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah the newspaper articles reporting on his trial are graphic and disgusting. It infuriates me that he will probably be remembered for his books.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Man, I went "I think you're getting him confused with Marion Zimmer Bradley" so I checked and nope this just happened twice :smith:
what the gently caress was up with the sci-fi scene in the 70s.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 14, 2022

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

StrixNebulosa posted:

:staredog:

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

A Proper Uppercut posted:

You've gone too far

:evilbuddy:

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

I guess I will try this City of Brass book.

If you can divorce the author from the work you're in for a treat.

Two long series of the most generic and bowdlerised adventure fantasy where the bad guy invariably gets it.

The farm was abandoned but they found a slab of bacon hanging in a shed. Aunt Pol cut a flitch and cooked it because she is the best cook. Garion sooked/had a realisation about responsibility/turned into a wolf. Kal Zak was an evil emperor but it turned out he was misunderstood.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

branedotorg posted:

If you can divorce the author from the work you're in for a treat.

David Eddings in The Elenium posted:

‘I just wanted to look at the sea,’ the boy protested. ‘I’ve never seen the sea before.’

Kurik was grimly removing his wide leather belt.

‘Now, wait a minute, Kurik,’ Talen said, struggling to free himself from Berit’s grasp. ‘You wouldn’t really do that, would you?’

‘Watch me.’

‘I picked up some information,’ Talen said quickly. ‘If you thrash me, I’ll keep it to myself.’ He looked appealingly at Sparhawk. ‘It’s important,’ he said. Tell him to put his belt back on and I’ll let you know what I found out.’

‘All right, Kurik,’ Sparhawk said. ‘Let it pass – for the moment anyway.’ Then he looked sternly at the boy ‘This had better be good, Talen,’ he threatened.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I remember at one point in the Sparhawk novels there's a very heavily jew coded villain too and at one point they piss him off by eating pork on front of him?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No Dignity posted:

I remember at one point in the Sparhawk novels there's a very heavily jew coded villain too and at one point they piss him off by eating pork on front of him?

Apart from the specifics of who they worship, the Styrics are literally the Jews of mediaeval Europe. Part of the premise of the books is "what if the Knights Militant really had learned caballistic secrets from the Jews, and the Catholic Church permitted it in defence of the Faith?"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

So city of Brass is urban fantasy? Maybe I should read about what these books are before I use my limited borrows lol

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Metis of the Hallways posted:

This describes me! I didn't know it had been reworked so I will definitely be buying it, I already liked it enough back then so I look forward to reading it again!

Me too! I actually pre-ordered the new one (in print, I have the original as an ebook) but didn't know if it was different from the first version or not, so that's great to have confirmed. I'll definitely be re-reading it!

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Mr Hootington posted:

So city of Brass is urban fantasy? Maybe I should read about what these books are before I use my limited borrows lol

Sorry for the double post, but no, not urban fantasy at all. It's set in various parts of, technically, the 1700s Middle East, but with Djinn and Ghouls and that sort of stuff. But it's more set in and around the fictional, magical City of Brass than historical Cairo or anything, from what I remember as least.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

The Belgariad/Mallorean were my gateway fantasy novels that really got me into reading, I'd reread all ten yearly for awhile. I think the writing is prosaic and workman like but the story moves at a pace that keeps it interesting. But with an adult eye? It's a wildly problematic series. Even if you were willing to overlook the "author was bad enough to go to prison for child abuse in the 60s", you got:

- It's wildly sexist. Just endless Women belong in the kitchen nonsense. He uses the 3000 year old sorceress who's at least the third most powerful human as a mother figure who basically only does domestic chores. In fact her good end is to get a solid dependable husband she can dedicate her life towards.
- The race of Dryads that are exclusively women, kidnap men to use for breeding purposes, and are described as looking like young teens/children. The fated wife of the protagonist is half Dryad and half Roman (every kingdom is nearly 1:1 to a real country/culture), this does not prevent her from described as tiny and "small breasted" all the loving time.
- The hero who commits marital rape which is good apparently. The hero who is Gandalf but a sexist prick. The hero who is of the race of shrewd, conniving spies with the hook nose.
- The villains of the Belgariad who are 100% coded as Middle Eastern and called the Murgos who are violent, treat women poorly, and follow their god's will blindly. Those things are true of literally all people in this world but the Murgos are eastern and they have "slanted eyes".
- The villains of the Mallorean who are 100% coded as Chinese (they are at least somewhat humanized because the Adventure Party spends a lot of time actually living with them but they're still evil easterners).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

DurianGray posted:

Sorry for the double post, but no, not urban fantasy at all. It's set in various parts of, technically, the 1700s Middle East, but with Djinn and Ghouls and that sort of stuff. But it's more set in and around the fictional, magical City of Brass than historical Cairo or anything, from what I remember as least.

Ok. This raises the chance Ill be able to get into the book.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

cptn_dr posted:

Yesss. Getting the backstage dish on how the editing was going on this one makes me so excited to read the new version

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok. This raises the chance Ill be able to get into the book.

It was a good one.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

It's probably easier to list what wasn't wrong:
Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy and The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe

That's it, basically. Most everything else is some kind of hosed up.

cptn_dr posted:

Blurb seemed interesting even if fantasy isn't my favorite genre, so I used a credit to grab the audiobook.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

cptn_dr posted:

Absolutely picking this up!! Thank you!

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Girl with All the Gifts by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO7FLFG/

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Queer Salutations posted:

The Belgariad/Mallorean were my gateway fantasy novels that really got me into reading, I'd reread all ten yearly for awhile. I think the writing is prosaic and workman like but the story moves at a pace that keeps it interesting. But with an adult eye? It's a wildly problematic series. Even if you were willing to overlook the "author was bad enough to go to prison for child abuse in the 60s", you got:

- It's wildly sexist. Just endless Women belong in the kitchen nonsense. He uses the 3000 year old sorceress who's at least the third most powerful human as a mother figure who basically only does domestic chores. In fact her good end is to get a solid dependable husband she can dedicate her life towards.
- The race of Dryads that are exclusively women, kidnap men to use for breeding purposes, and are described as looking like young teens/children. The fated wife of the protagonist is half Dryad and half Roman (every kingdom is nearly 1:1 to a real country/culture), this does not prevent her from described as tiny and "small breasted" all the loving time.
- The hero who commits marital rape which is good apparently. The hero who is Gandalf but a sexist prick. The hero who is of the race of shrewd, conniving spies with the hook nose.
- The villains of the Belgariad who are 100% coded as Middle Eastern and called the Murgos who are violent, treat women poorly, and follow their god's will blindly. Those things are true of literally all people in this world but the Murgos are eastern and they have "slanted eyes".
- The villains of the Mallorean who are 100% coded as Chinese (they are at least somewhat humanized because the Adventure Party spends a lot of time actually living with them but they're still evil easterners).

Most of that stuff just sailed right past me when I read the series in the 80s and 90s and really liked them, the Mallorean more than the Belgariod because Belgariod felt really "kiddy" and simplistic.

I picked up a bunch of Eddings' work and considered myself a big fan but eventually dropped him (long before I knew about the child abuse) because all the "good" characters kind of channeled the snide, "too-clever" aspect of Khelder/Silk while the evil character were so deliberately stupid they came off as pathetic and mentally challenged.

One bit you missed: At the end of the saga the Middle-eastern god was now a blond white kid.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

IIRC correctly in the Belgariad, the different races were all created by different gods, so its not really murder if you kill someone created by a different god than yours.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
All the YA fantasy from when I was a kid has fallen away until only one really remains

mother

FUCKIN

REDWALL

and I guess lloyd alexander.

Copernic fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 15, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Redwall is pretty racist.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Copernic posted:

All the YA fantasy from when I was a kid has fallen away until only one really remains

mother

FUCKIN

REDWALL

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/bargain-book-bin-3/
????

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr Hootington posted:

~ish. Closer to paranormal romance.

Thanks for posting this, people have been yelling about these books a lot lately and I haven't actually read them because they always seemed painfully generic and because, you know, the author.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Man, I went "I think you're getting him confused with Marion Zimmer Bradley" so I checked and nope this just happened twice :smith:

I mean, Piers Anthony was a big name author throughout the entirety of the 1980s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Garth Nix is fine, right? Kids can still read Sabriel?