Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Glacier finally debuted on WCW Pro against a very worthy opponent.

Who are you to doubt El Gambler? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Ganso Bomb posted:

And that fuckin leapfrog!

That the crowd didn't even pop for a seven foot tall manc clearing a leapfrog over another seven foot tall man shows how much the fans appreciation has changed for the little things. Keith Lee leapfrogs Adam Cole and the roof explodes.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This is very WCW.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Why is he not wearing longbois

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lid posted:

Why is he not wearing longbois

gotta feel sexy at the tables

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This is very WCW.

Man, I love early 90's WCW jobbers.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

Man, I love early 90's WCW jobbers.

He went to USWA and was a tag champ with Brickhouse Brown for two weeks in the mid nineties then went back to WCW and was there until 1999.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Wouldn't this be late 90s?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Without The Gambler, we might not have had Chris Jericho.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I feel like that anecdote from Jericho gives some insight into why he was there for so long.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This isn't really about WCW but I'm an Attitude Era kid, grew up in late 90s and missed a lot of the classic 80s American pro-wrestling. My impression of Jerry Lawler is the horny commentator, not an apparently all time great wrestler, so I asked Reddit about this and got recommended his feud with Ric Flair. Flair is another guy I have a certain impression of, namely this bombastic crazy man. I tend to think pro-wrestling is bombastic and larger than life.

Watching these vids on YT, the two of them are talking to one another in perfectly level tones. They are talking to each other like you and I might talk. It's....weird.

Somewhat relevantly, I've listened to the Retro reviews at least two times all the way through at this point and I can't quite recall when Bryan brings it up, but he loves Southern style wrestling. He said the old way the pros did it, you didn't even touch each other. There's apparently a Michaels quote that goes something like "we used to pretend to hit each other and everybody thought it was real. Now we really hit each other and everybody thinks it's fake"

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 14, 2022

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I often think about this promo by Harley Race. He doesn't rant. He doesn't raise his voice. He doesn't say any catch phrases or deliver any soundbites. He calmly explains why he's the toughest fucker in the locker room, and that if anyone steps to him, he's going to kick their loving rear end. And it's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XBbdh1HHKc

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Lee Marshall had the best life. They'd pay for him to go to the next city Nitro was going to be in and film a 2-minute road report, which was basically just "I'm here at the home of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, hey, you ever see a weasel go fast?". And then he'd occasionally do some backstage stuff at WCW's D-show. Dream living.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

D.N. Nation posted:

Lee Marshall had the best life. They'd pay for him to go to the next city Nitro was going to be in and film a 2-minute road report, which was basically just "I'm here at the home of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, hey, you ever see a weasel go fast?". And then he'd occasionally do some backstage stuff at WCW's D-show. Dream living.

All the while sitting back and counting his Tony The Tiger money

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Happy for this thread, long live WCW.
Not sure if this has been posted here before, but it's pretty cool to see a bunch of wrestlers (and Jim Crockett) playing competitive basketball against rec league cops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8JHoywBdHQ
The skill level is by no means very high, but that's kind of what makes the effort more interesting. There's a lot of contact and hustling to the floor, Luger and Sting especially put their bodies on the line. Crockett himself goes down with a back injuiry. And it's pretty awesome seeing Dusty run, he's clearly one of their better ballers, he even hits the game winning layup.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1536756061440442374

extremely WCW

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

Happy for this thread, long live WCW.
Not sure if this has been posted here before, but it's pretty cool to see a bunch of wrestlers (and Jim Crockett) playing competitive basketball against rec league cops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8JHoywBdHQ
The skill level is by no means very high, but that's kind of what makes the effort more interesting. There's a lot of contact and hustling to the floor, Luger and Sting especially put their bodies on the line. Crockett himself goes down with a back injuiry. And it's pretty awesome seeing Dusty run, he's clearly one of their better ballers, he even hits the game winning layup.

Playing basketball in a pair of zubaz, now I've seen everything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DJExile posted:

extremely WCW
Some malfunctions in The Machine.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This is very WCW.

Man, the WWE are doing the same gimmick with one of their fail turds in NXT right now. Truly WCW was ahead of the times.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This is very WCW.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Man, the WWE are doing the same gimmick with one of their fail turds in NXT right now. Truly WCW was ahead of the times.

How does Reno fit into this

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

D.N. Nation posted:

Wasn't his Road Report literally phoned in? He could have been anywhere.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Wasn't his Road Report literally phoned in? He could have been anywhere.

It was once they got sponsorship deals with the various collect call companies

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

zetamind2000 posted:

How does Reno fit into this

Cody stole the...
ROLL
OF
THE
DICE~!

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I know we’ve moved on from Jim Duggan chat but I just saw this and needed to share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCYX11Dzws0

Thank you

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Sandman McMahon posted:

I know we’ve moved on from Jim Duggan chat but I just saw this and needed to share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCYX11Dzws0

Thank you

I had this set as my alarm clock for a while

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

He once gave Hogan a taste of his hometown

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A long time ago now I was big into "who could really beat who" and in pro-wrestling this manifested into who were legit the strongest wrestlers. Well I moved onto who are the legit strongest women wrestlers.

I remembered Asya from WCW. Real name Christi Wolf, she was not a great wrestler (although I have severe doubts this was entirely her fault) but I figured she had to be up there on account of her history. In terms of in ring feats the best I could find was her doing a hanging vertical on Eddie for a few seconds. Not mindblowing compared to the stuff Chyna or Beth got up to in the ring but I looked into her real life lifting career. I even got a magazine about her from back in the day saying she maxed out her bench at 285 which I'm not sure how impressive that is. NSFW since she's obviously showing off her physique (Apologies for the awful quality, I screencapped it forever ago I don't even remember where exactly i got it from or if I could get a clearer copy.)

I just finished the Retro shows again and Bryan and Vinny got so mad her finish was a head scissors but goddamn her thighs were something else. Also Bryan said Trish was in bodybuilding magazines before she came to WWF and that blew my mind. She was in great shape but not bodybuilder shape like Asya or Chyna.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 18, 2022

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

285 on bench is pretty drat good especially depending on how much she weighed.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Also Bryan said Trish was in bodybuilding magazines before she came to WWF and that blew my mind. She was in great shape but not bodybuilder shape like Asya or Chyna.

Fitness modeling is not the same as bodybuilding. It just means you have slightly more toned arms than the models on the cover of maxim or whatever.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fitness modelling is about looking in shape and bodybuilding is about looking like a life size masters of the universe action figure that’s been dipped in motor oil.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

NikkolasKing posted:

This isn't really about WCW but I'm an Attitude Era kid, grew up in late 90s and missed a lot of the classic 80s American pro-wrestling. My impression of Jerry Lawler is the horny commentator, not an apparently all time great wrestler, so I asked Reddit about this and got recommended his feud with Ric Flair. Flair is another guy I have a certain impression of, namely this bombastic crazy man. I tend to think pro-wrestling is bombastic and larger than life.

Watching these vids on YT, the two of them are talking to one another in perfectly level tones. They are talking to each other like you and I might talk. It's....weird.

Somewhat relevantly, I've listened to the Retro reviews at least two times all the way through at this point and I can't quite recall when Bryan brings it up, but he loves Southern style wrestling. He said the old way the pros did it, you didn't even touch each other. There's apparently a Michaels quote that goes something like "we used to pretend to hit each other and everybody thought it was real. Now we really hit each other and everybody thinks it's fake"

There is something special about Memphis wrestling in the 80s.

It's a 50 minute TV studio dealie and you have Lawler there, you know he's going to win because he's the big face. He'll probably take a beating though.
And you have Bill Dundee, that little sawed off psycho running rampant.
And of course and endless stream of new heels for the faces to beat up. The actual wrestling isn't anything special, but it is good entertainment.

You should watch Mid-South though if you want some actual good 80s southern wrestling. Bill Watts was a good booker back then and could put together some shows.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MrBling posted:

It's a 50 minute TV studio dealie and you have Lawler there, you know he's going to win because he's the big face. He'll probably take a beating though.
And of course and endless stream of new heels for the faces to beat up. The actual wrestling isn't anything special, but it is good entertainment.

You should watch Mid-South though if you want some actual good 80s southern wrestling. Bill Watts was a good booker back then and could put together some shows.

That's where the Freebirds did a lot of stuff, right? Hayes is another one of those guys I saw in WWF growing up and now I know he was once a very important and influential wrestler. Just never really saw anything by them. (although, funnily enough, I saw a video of him and Gordy vs Lawler and Dundee)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

That's where the Freebirds did a lot of stuff, right? Hayes is another one of those guys I saw in WWF growing up and now I know he was once a very important and influential wrestler. Just never really saw anything by them. (although, funnily enough, I saw a video of him and Gordy vs Lawler and Dundee)

Freebirds 3 big territories were Mid South, Georgia, and World Class

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

NikkolasKing posted:

Freebirds hit it big in World Class Championship Wrestling in Dallas with their feud against the Von Erichs, but as Hayes was fond of saying they've been fired from pretty much every promotion you could name in the 80s.

They started in Mid-South, back to Bill Watts who put Hayes and Gordy together. Buddy Roberts was added a bit later.

But in a short period (we're talking like 79 to 82) they went from Mid-South to Memphis to Georgia before landing in Dallas and kicking off their big feud.

If you want to see some hot crowds and some brawls, WCCW is for you. The Von Erich boys could do no wrong in the eyes of the fans.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Wwf Dugan was super over. He was a guy that you could open a show with to get a huge pop and excite the crowd. Or probably send out after a really bad match at a house show that was killing the crowd to re excite them.

He was every faces goofy patriotic friend that could sub for anyone that was injured or too hosed up to go out. Oh no, they just announced jim neidhart was hurt last night, who’s gonna be Bret’s teammate against rhythm and blues! Hooooooooooo! Everyone loses their loving minds.

Or those jobbers Mr perfect and Rick Rude are beating down the Hulkster at the end of a house show. Hooooooooo! Crowd goes crazy when Hacksaw makes the save and they clear the ring.

He was also probably great for when wcw was taping the jobber shows at universal studios for syndication. He does a couple 3 minute matches a day. Gets a main event pop for a mid card paycheck. The sort of guy that wcw or the park would pay a couple extra hundred to stick around that day and take pictures with the ham n eggers that drove down in a station wagon from Iowa.

But yeah, he should have never been near any kind of belt besides the hardcore titles in the late 90s. Him squashing Austin for the US title in 94 was a loving joke and had to have been the writing on the wall that if your not the Hulksters friend you’re just another jobber, brother.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

MrBling posted:

Anyone who wants to get familiar with Memphis wrestling should also check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFk0viRI7Ok

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

Anyone who wants to get familiar with Memphis wrestling should also check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFk0viRI7Ok

I prefer this version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipSPvQGGPMw

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Up to September 2000, what once seemed an impossible dream to listen to all the B&V episodes now seems like I might get to the end and I'm kind of sad.

gently caress that company sucked but also its death really cost a lot of people jobs.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

algebra testes posted:

Up to September 2000, what once seemed an impossible dream to listen to all the B&V episodes now seems like I night get to the end and I'm kind of sad.

gently caress that company sucked but also its death really cost a lot of people jobs.

I always find the legacy Nash tries to paint for himself kind of bunk. That he and Hall made guaranteed contracts a thing (which I think is false?). It ultimately feels like their machinations along with Hogan and Bischoff helped send wrestling into the dark ages as far as the mainstream.

That's mostly just the way I feel from consuming the shows of course.