Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

McCracAttack posted:

See this is why you should never have in-house systems and applications with exactly one IT guy who understands them.

But then you get to hire back the old IT guy as a contractor at 4x what he was making before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

This is triggering me because I obviously know what the joke is and wish I thought of it first, but it doesn't actually match the lyrics properly

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Joker 2: Ha Ha Land

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Splicer posted:

The book has some Nedry point of view chapters and his complaints are pretty reasonable. He's understaffed, overworked, and his boss keeps yelling at him for things he just doesn't have the man hours to fix.

Oh yeah one of those good situations where both the movie and book are excellent and compliment each other. Movie has spectacular effects and fun, book has way more details on chaos theory that I remember being interesting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sir Lemming posted:

This is triggering me because I obviously know what the joke is and wish I thought of it first, but it doesn't actually match the lyrics properly

Yeah, it's stuttering the wrong word. Supposed to go p-p-p-powerbook.

Wait, no

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Splicer posted:

The book has some Nedry point of view chapters and his complaints are pretty reasonable. He's understaffed, overworked, and his boss keeps yelling at him for things he just doesn't have the man hours to fix.

Also John Hammond gets eaten alive iirc

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Also John Hammond gets eaten alive iirc

He gets a heart attack, I think?

His grandkids are loving around and trigger the T-Rex scream on the speakers. After the whole dinos get loose whoopsie-doodle. So he panics, thinks he's about to get eaten, and dies in a ditch of a heart attack.

Basically, Creighton felt like Hammond needed to traumatize his grandkids one last time.

EDIT: No, you're right. All that happenes, but no heart attack. He just gets eaten after falling down.

BirdOfPlay has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Jun 14, 2022

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah one of those good situations where both the movie and book are excellent and compliment each other. Movie has spectacular effects and fun, book has way more details on chaos theory that I remember being interesting.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

This is still the best Crichton take:

https://twitter.com/JShooke/status/1527632115239735296?t=S3ZK_oKLOQ-4IGR1c6RYeA&s=19

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/isawken/status/1536136382032363521

https://twitter.com/ericsmithrocks/status/1536512245190037504

https://twitter.com/horseysurprise/status/1536557352748556290

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Oh poo poo y'all reminded me I got about halfway through the Jurrasic Park audiobook but got distracted and never picked it up again. I remember it being pretty drat good so I'll get back to it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I also like the bit where the dinosaurs have been breeding for ages and there's a bunch of extra dinosaurs but nobody notices. This is because the dinosaur counting system isn't a dinosaur counting system, it's a missing dinosaur counting system.
It works by typing in how many dinosaurs they expect to have and it counts unique dinosaurs until it reaches that number or errors out. An absolutely awful interface but also exactly what an overworked programmer would write in a situation where they're absolutely positive there'll never be too many dinosaurs.

Spoilered for the guy above me

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

This has never happened to me. I guess my bile ducts are just good at denaturing that specific protein?

Huh. Do you also not get explosive diarrhea when you eat at Taco Bell? These are memes after all.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Splicer posted:

I also like the bit where the dinosaurs have been breeding for ages and there's a bunch of extra dinosaurs but nobody notices. This is because the dinosaur counting system isn't a dinosaur counting system, it's a missing dinosaur counting system.
It works by typing in how many dinosaurs they expect to have and it counts unique dinosaurs until it reaches that number or errors out. An absolutely awful interface but also exactly what an overworked programmer would write in a situation where they're absolutely positive there'll never be too many dinosaurs.

Spoilered for the guy above me

I absolutely loved this plot point, as it’s a realistic programming oversight that also gave young me some good perspective on understanding programming - knowing what your code does and does not do, vs. what you’re intending it to do.

There’s a ton of good parts of the book that are missing from the movie. But then you rewatch the movie, and it holds up so goddamn well independent of the book. Truly, both are great even with their differences. Only problem with the movie is Hammond doesn’t get his comeuppance.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I read the book after the movie, and I remember being gobsmacked because in the movie, four raptors are a nearly insurmountable foe. In the book there are dozens of them! Also they tranq a Trex with a dart mounted on a rocket launcher!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

just uhhh... don't read anything else he wrote because holy poo poo

Especially not Rising Sun. I think he also got one out about how climate change is a hoax and the bad guys are eco terrorists that make a lightning bolt magnet and assassinate people with venomous animals before he died after a battle with a velociraptor cancer

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like Sphere and Congo

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

A Moose posted:

just uhhh... don't read anything else he wrote because holy poo poo

Especially not Rising Sun. I think he also got one out about how climate change is a hoax and the bad guys are eco terrorists that make a lightning bolt magnet and assassinate people with venomous animals before he died after a battle with a velociraptor cancer

Crichton is a guy who could tell a great story but he was absolutely just terrified of technology but, weirdly, without being a total Luddite.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nottherealaborn posted:

I absolutely loved this plot point, as it’s a realistic programming oversight that also gave young me some good perspective on understanding programming - knowing what your code does and does not do, vs. what you’re intending it to do.

There’s a ton of good parts of the book that are missing from the movie. But then you rewatch the movie, and it holds up so goddamn well independent of the book. Truly, both are great even with their differences. Only problem with the movie is Hammond doesn’t get his comeuppance.
The film also doesn't really emphasise how much of a poo poo Hammond is. In the book he's much more blatantly Elon Musking his way through things, in the film he's portrayed much more sympathetically (while still doing all the same dumbass things that caused all the problems in the book).

Splicer has a new favorite as of 16:36 on Jun 14, 2022

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Didn't he also write in a critic of his work as a pedophile with a micropenis, in Rising Sun? Or was that a different book?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Splicer posted:

The film also doesn't really emphasise how much of a poo poo Hammond is. In the book he's much more blatantly Elon Musking his way through things, in the film he's portrayed much more sympathetically (while still doing all the same dumbass things that caused all the problems in the book).

Part of that is the pure unadulterated charisma of Richard Attenborough and the fact that he sounds (obviously) so very much like his brother David, who we all associate with kindly grandfather who just fuckin' loves animals.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Didn't he also write in a critic of his work as a pedophile with a micropenis, in Rising Sun? Or was that a different book?

His anti-global warming book State of Fear

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Monkey posted:

Crichton is a guy who could tell a great story but he was absolutely just terrified of technology but, weirdly, without being a total Luddite.
It's been a bit since I read it but IIRC Jurassic Park's central theme was that rich people being able to effectively buy other people's skills/knowledge without having to put any work in themselves means the people with the least respect and understanding of technology are the ones with the most power over its use.

Captain Monkey posted:

Part of that is the pure unadulterated charisma of Richard Attenborough and the fact that he sounds (obviously) so very much like his brother David, who we all associate with kindly grandfather who just fuckin' loves animals.
Oh yeah, and that casting had to have been a deliberate choice to get that effect. Put, like, Malcolm McDowell in the role and you have a very different character.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

There's a point with some people where you realise that oh no their brain got old in the bad way and they are now A Shithead and you kind of need to accept that they're effectively a different, much worse person who has stolen their younger self's reputation and experience.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Splicer posted:

It's been a bit since I read it but IIRC Jurassic Park's central theme was that rich people being able to effectively buy other people's skills/knowledge without having to put any work in themselves means the people with the least respect and understanding of technology are the ones with the most power over its use.

Yeah they make a big deal out of Hammond being really effective at raising funds and making their successes seem like more than it was. He had a pygymy elephant that they had created as a showpiece (before the dinosaurs, as a demonstration of what they could do) and he'd obfuscate the truth of all the problems they were having so their backers would continue to fund them. Very indifferent to the animals as well, unless they weren't "performing", if I am recalling correctly. I totally agree that the movie and the book act as great companions to each other, but book Hammond was very interesting to me.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I really loved his books when I was a kid. Timeline was great, Sphere was terrifying, I reread JP and Lost World multiple times. I remember even liking Prey. Too bad he turned into a climate change chud.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Splicer posted:

Shirec posted:

Yeah they make a big deal out of Hammond being really effective at raising funds and making their successes seem like more than it was. He had a pygymy elephant that they had created as a showpiece (before the dinosaurs, as a demonstration of what they could do) and he'd obfuscate the truth of all the problems they were having so their backers would continue to fund them. Very indifferent to the animals as well, unless they weren't "performing", if I am recalling correctly. I totally agree that the movie and the book act as great companions to each other, but book Hammond was very interesting to me.

Sure a bit, but he also levied that complaint against Wu - a PhD who is literally a leader in the field he specializes in. And the way he writes Malcom's takedowns sometimes leans anti-Capitalist (and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you wanna sell it) - -but at times just sort of comes across as anti-science or is anti-making-dinosaurs. Or maybe I was just so excited by the idea of making dinosaurs when I was a kid that I haven't been able to get over the idea that it would be a bad thing to do, even in my old age.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

It was Next, but yes, yes he did. He added the penis detail specifically so the critic couldn't argue defamation without referring to himself as the "micropenis guy."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_penis_rule

(Legally you can absolutely still sue for libel, but the critic elected not to, arguing that writing a plot-unrelated child rapist into a novel out of sheer pettiness far more efficiently damaged Crichton's career than a lawsuit ever could)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The second novel, The Lost World, is basically a character assassination of John Hammond. Turns out, there was another island where the actual industrial dinosaur reproduction happened (and it was of course terrible in every way), that Hammond had hidden away from everyone, because he wanted to project the whole "I participate in every single birth on the island because I am a good capitalist and I care" image instead of "I'm a ruthless capitalist who doesn't give a poo poo about anything other than making money".

Michael Crichton had issues, but boy could he write a book when he wanted to.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An annoying book is Timeline which specifically states early on that what they're doing is not time travel where instead they're visiting alternate universes where it is the year that they want to travel to. Except then everyone (and the plot) treats it like time travel.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

An annoying book is Timeline which specifically states early on that what they're doing is not time travel where instead they're visiting alternate universes where it is the year that they want to travel to. Except then everyone (and the plot) treats it like time travel.

And they affect their own timeline in the end

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I thought it was more of them telling the characters that things are fine and they couldn’t do stuff like kill their own ancestor and cause a paradox as a confidence thing, but really they had no idea what they were doing when it came down to that aspect of it. But it has been some time since I read it

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

also, Rising Sun was like... REAL weird about Japanese people. and he had a book about a false rape accusation that I thought was also Rising Sun but I think it was a different one now

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The whole 1980s was weird about Japanese people.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well yeah they slotted into the role China is in now.

The fact they are Allie’s makes it kind of weird

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Splicer posted:

There's a point with some people where you realise that oh no their brain got old in the bad way and they are now A Shithead and you kind of need to accept that they're effectively a different, much worse person who has stolen their younger self's reputation and experience.

I mean, he was always kinda a shithead. After Jurassic Park his next two books were the super racist/orientalist Rising Sun and the super sexist Disclosure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

zoux posted:

The whole 1980s was weird about Japanese people.

There was definitely weirdness but it was mainstream to predict Japan as the next economic superpower. It was all over pop culture in the 80s and the 90s until the big crash.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lobok posted:

There was definitely weirdness but it was mainstream to predict Japan as the next economic superpower. It was all over pop culture in the 80s and the 90s until the big crash.

Yeah, but the reason was because people thought that the Japanese were a subhuman hive mind that suborned every scrap of individuality in service of industry.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The most weird racist anti-Japanese thing of the 80s that comes to mind is probably the urban legend that the Vapors’ one-hit-wonder “Turning Japanese” was about masturbation because apparently you squint just before you cum.

It’s actually just a song about a breakup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.
is the thread title a reference to Matt Walsh or...?