Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Personally, I think it would be refreshing to have the FBI issue a public warning that young men could be radicalized into loving musicals by “Joker 2.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'll pass on depressing clown musical

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

All I can think of when I hear that news is, "God dammit, Todd Phillips."

Upsidads posted:

I'll pass on depressing clown musical

Also this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
It will be kind of funny to see the reaction of the people who were really into The Joker to this news. Other than that, I will probably see it if it lives up to the premise. It is destined to be either really bad or really good, but entertaining either way.

Hopefully, they don't manage to somehow produce a boring, competently made, and mediocre clown musical. It should either fly too close to the sun or retrospectively seem like a genius idea.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's gonna be a slog

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

sethsez posted:

I never thought it was possible to get me interested in Joker 2, but here we are.

This will either be incredible or a disaster, and either way sounds like a blast.

Same. I liked Joker a lot and tend to dislike musicals but if we're going with the whole "it's all in Arthur's Head" angle then sign me up for a weird song and dance thing with Lady G and a banging soundtrack.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
An operetta about a sad clown? Whoever heard of such a thing?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don’t think they’ll do “it’s all in his head” two movies in a row. It wouldn’t make sense on a narrative level. He made the outside a reflection of his inner world at the end of the first movie.

Joker 2 as a musical with Lady Ga Ga (as probably Harley) is such an inspired idea.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Samovar posted:

Bingo. Body stretching powers only looks OK in drawn/animated medium. Irl it looks really, really, really off.

This is why I think it's very, very had to make any sort of "serious" Fantastic 4 movie that's not camp.

RR's powers are just corny. And then you got the CG or rubber suited rock man. That's half the team. It sucks that the F4 are such a major hero group that they're going to keep making runs at it, because I just don't know if it's possible to do a good version.

Having said that, I really really want to see a live action Galactus in all of his purple hatted glory.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sethsez posted:

I never thought it was possible to get me interested in Joker 2, but here we are.

This will either be incredible or a disaster, and either way sounds like a blast.

I'm not sure why you're settling for one of two.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

An operetta about a sad clown? Whoever heard of such a thing?

LMAO right.

I think they should make a stage version with Cirque Du Soleil

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The only way to do a “good” Fantastic 4 is to make them amoral at best. Which Disney won’t do.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Jedit posted:

I'm not sure why you're settling for one of two.

I don't dare to dream for a repeat of Cats.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gatts posted:

LMAO right.

I think they should make a stage version with Cirque Du Soleil

Get Taymor to make Joker: Turn Off The Dark.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

I'm not a fan of musicals, but I was having a hard time picturing how anyone could do a good follow up to Joker. Switching genres is a fantastic choice. It sounds like an elaborate troll on everyone, which for the Joker, feels just right.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Get Taymor to make Joker: Turn Off The Dark.

All the cast getting injured during the production would make sense!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

This is why I think it's very, very had to make any sort of "serious" Fantastic 4 movie that's not camp.

RR's powers are just corny. And then you got the CG or rubber suited rock man. That's half the team. It sucks that the F4 are such a major hero group that they're going to keep making runs at it, because I just don't know if it's possible to do a good version.

Having said that, I really really want to see a live action Galactus in all of his purple hatted glory.
I feel like the thing that makes the Fantastic Four work is them being really, really weird and kinda hosed up... but also really fun and goofy. Like the thing about the Galactus story is it's about God trying to eat Earth and a scientist with stretchy powers beating him with the power of mutually assured destruction.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Timeless Appeal posted:

But who cares. It’s a very cute kids show.

Clearly quite a few people care even if "No!!!! Kamala Khan must be a living balloon animal!" seems a pretty odd hill to die on.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Everyone posted:

Clearly quite a few people care even if "No!!!! Kamala Khan must be a living balloon animal!" seems a pretty odd hill to die on.

That's not the argument being made.

Kamal's powers in universe were perfect for her character and what she represented.

And in a way her MCU powers are too. Because they've stripped all the nuance, subtly and attention to character out and gave you something bright and shiny and simplified to see instead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Stretchy powers are really bad. It’s funny even doctor strange barely used reeds power at all. That’s how lame it is lol

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Stretchy powers are really bad. It’s funny even doctor strange barely used reeds power at all. That’s how lame it is lol
Is there more to it than "arms get longer haha"? Like, is it secretly super-OP and world-ending at some sub-atomic level? Or is it really just that?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is there more to it than "arms get longer haha"? Like, is it secretly super-OP and world-ending at some sub-atomic level? Or is it really just that?

it's meant to be like Plastic Man, and if you think watching Kamala Khan casually turn into a beach ball in full CGI wouldn't be horrifying, you're wrong

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve read the deviant art thread. I know it would be

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Crows Turn Off posted:

Reed’s actual superpower is being the smartest man alive and having endless future scifi tech. His stretchiness is secondary.

Now someone like Plastic Man is the super-OP variant where he’s essentially immortal even if you somehow atomize him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Thor Ragnarok has a CG Rock Man and people like him.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There's definitely ways to make Reed's powers look interesting in live action. Leaning into the elemental subtext and making him more like water is probably a good way to go - something more like the Venom/Carnage symbiotes with a lot of serpentine movement rather than just making him extra long and bendy could help to hide the exaggerated human shapes that make his powers look silly. They could also lean into the stretch & snap aspect of things like rubber bands, so if he throws a punch it could feel more like a bullwhip strike or something.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

sethsez posted:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It will be kind of funny to see the reaction of the people who were really into The Joker to this news.

https://twitter.com/DonVincenzo88/status/1536758150279311362

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

DC has a good track record with musicals though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDtFjg8_PWg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiMIuvZXQu4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAFP0IoMfsA

Clearly Jonker 2, the Jonkering is going to continue this proud tradition

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Crows Turn Off posted:

No. His real super power is he's explicitly the smartest being in the Marvel universe. Even his descendents are among the smartest in the universe. Kang is a great grandkid of his.

They've kinda moved away from him being stretchy as a major plot point.

ImpAtom posted:

Thor Ragnarok has a CG Rock Man and people like him.

Yeah but that presents two problems.....it's already been done, and it is explicitly played for comedy.

A Fantastic Four movie will have to be given some gravity and seriousness, but they are inherently campy. Stretchy powers is fine for the Ms. Marvel show but I don't see them doing a tentpole F4 movie tonally like that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't think Taikas character's looks were played for comedy. Hes funny and stuff but I don't remember them doing stuff like, "haha rock - youre so hard"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Robot Style posted:

There's definitely ways to make Reed's powers look interesting in live action. Leaning into the elemental subtext and making him more like water is probably a good way to go

I just this moment realized the FF are based on the four classical elements.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Looks no, but the character is a sidekick and comic relief.

But Ben Grimm is going to be played straight and as a main character. I think it's inherently campy, thought not as bad as Stretchy McSmartypants

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Joker 2 sequel names :
Singing in the acid rain
Blamma!Mia!
Cats(and bats and penguins)
Kinky bats
Joker: dance in the park
Joker and the chemical factory
A star is torn a new one
The princess and the freak

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think Reed's stretchy CGI effects were the least of any of the FF movies' problems. The Incredibles proved that a movie with characters like this and a story centering around the family dynamic can absolutely work and I still think their best shot at it is to set it in 1967 or something and not worry about the MCU tie in. Same with X-Men. Just have them and the FF be their own universe and then, later, if you simply must, do some more inter dimensional bullshit for fan service. Set the X-Men in 1978 or whenever the New X-Men came out.

Only other characters I might want to see in a decent FF reboot are the Silver Surfer, a decent Doom for once, Namor, Galactus and maybe Hulk just so we can get a Thing v Hulk fight, which was a pretty big deal in the original comics.

Aside from some of the convoluted sci fi poo poo, the FF really aren't that complicated. They're like the first reality TV show before that was even a thing and also I think one of the first superheros to not have secret identities. Do that.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 14, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Schwarzwald posted:

I just this moment realized the FF are based on the four classical elements.

Wait, is Reed water?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

I think Reed's stretchy CGI effects were the least of any of the FF movies' problems. The Incredibles proved that a movie with characters like this and a story centering around the family dynamic can absolutely work and I still think their best shot at it is to set it in 1967 or something and not worry about the MCU tie in. Same with X-Men. Just have them and the FF be their own universe and then, later, if you simply must, do some more inter dimensional bullshit for fan service. Set the X-Men in 1978 or whenever the New X-Men came out.

Only other characters I might want to see in a decent FF reboot are the Silver Surfer, a decent Doom for once, Namor, Galactus and maybe Hulk just so we can get a Thing v Hulk fight, which was a pretty big deal in the original comics.

Aside from some of the convoluted sci fi poo poo, the FF really aren't that complicated. They're like the first reality TV show before that was even a thing and also I think one of the first superheros to not have secret identities. Do that.

Rumors have been that Namor is going to appear in Black Panther 2, but who knows whats going on with that movie.

100% the villain of the F4 movie that they are working in is Dr. Doom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The idea that Ben has to be super serious is weird because he often isn't. He is the punchline of jokes but he also pranks Reed and poo poo and for all his monster angst dude is also the ever lovin' boy eyed Thing.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Burkion posted:

That's not the argument being made.

Kamal's powers in universe were perfect for her character and what she represented.

And in a way her MCU powers are too. Because they've stripped all the nuance, subtly and attention to character out and gave you something bright and shiny and simplified to see instead.

Fine, help me follow the logic then. As an older cis-gender straight white male I could easily be missing it - especially since this show is my first exposure to the character of Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel.

From what I understand, Kamala Khan is a slightly chubby but basically normal teenage girl of Pakastini heritage in a Muslim family who manifests her stretchy/shape-shifting powers.

She initially uses them to look like her idol, Carol Danvers AKA Captain Marvel.

So, if that were a thing in this show, we would have Iman Vellani playing Kamala during normal stuff but every time she did superhero stuff, she would turn into blond, conventionally pretty Brie Larson.

Which would mean that this show about how a normal looking Muslim brown girl from New Jersey could be a superhero would require that brown girl to turn into a model-beautiful white woman whenever she actually did that superhero stuff.

I mean, it seems like that would kind of undercut the message here. Aside from the fact that paying Brie Larson to show up would very much increase this show's cost per episode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Everyone posted:

Fine, help me follow the logic then. As an older cis-gender straight white male I could easily be missing it - especially since this show is my first exposure to the character of Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel.

From what I understand, Kamala Khan is a slightly chubby but basically normal teenage girl of Pakastini heritage in a Muslim family who manifests her stretchy/shape-shifting powers.

She initially uses them to look like her idol, Carol Danvers AKA Captain Marvel.

So, if that were a thing in this show, we would have Iman Vellani playing Kamala during normal stuff but every time she did superhero stuff, she would turn into blond, conventionally pretty Brie Larson.

Which would mean that this show about how a normal looking Muslim brown girl from New Jersey could be a superhero would require that brown girl to turn into a model-beautiful white woman whenever she actually did that superhero stuff.

I mean, it seems like that would kind of undercut the message here. Aside from the fact that paying Brie Larson to show up would very much increase this show's cost per episode.

No she only does it the very first time. It is in fact intentional commentary and her looking like herself is an important part of who she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Everyone posted:

I also know nothing about the character, and I'm fine with her powers changing, but to chime in, based on your description, couldn't the arc of the show you just described be her learning to use her powers while also being herself, instead of the model-beautiful white woman, over the course of the show?

Kamala's Mom (or whoever), in the second to last episode: "You don't need to be this Carol whoever, Kamala. You've always been exactly who you need to be."

Like, there are other ways to take the show, and presumably they are, but just for the sake of argument, that doesn't sound like a terrible arc.

ImpAtom posted:

No she only does it the very first time. It is in fact intentional commentary and her looking like herself is an important part of who she is.

Okay, so yeah, that, only a shorter arc than I described.