Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griz
May 21, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

lol. i want to know who ever tried that stuff, maybe we’re missing out?

it costs more than takeout and produces an immense amount of packaging garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Winifred Madgers posted:

lol at the 30-something lecturing folks who lived through the Cuban missile crisis, the assassinations of multiple major US figures including a president, Vietnam and the draft, Watergate, the oil crisis and stagflation, plus everything they personally are aware of since they were born.

yeah it would be nuts to live through threat of war between two nuclear powers, or deaths of prominent community leaders, or an unjust war that took the lives of thousands of american soldiers and millions of innocent civilians, or massive government corruption at the highest level, or an oil crisis, or stagflation. i can't even imagine how hard it must have been to go through all that and then fix none of it and make it all worse

Masculine Thrust
Apr 23, 2022

Nonsense posted:

every single under 30 they hired sounds like him now, and NPR is unlistenable

I don't know if this is what you mean but I hate that "explainer" voice. They are old enough to rent a car but still talk like they are giving a quirky, precocious presentation to their AP history class.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Masculine Thrust posted:

I don't know if this is what you mean but I hate that "explainer" voice. They are old enough to rent a car but still talk like they are giving a quirky, precocious presentation to their AP history class.

It’s called “updog”.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Winifred Madgers posted:

lol at the 30-something lecturing folks who lived through the Cuban missile crisis, the assassinations of multiple major US figures including a president, Vietnam and the draft, Watergate, the oil crisis and stagflation, plus everything they personally are aware of since they were born.

imagine defending the actions of a generation brain-damaged from leaded gas as noble or exemplary given the present state of literally loving everything.

like if self-awareness was represented on a scale from zero to one, boomers are three below.

Masculine Thrust
Apr 23, 2022

Platystemon posted:

It’s called “updog”.

Who's Steve Jobs?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"that's a hell of an act, whaddya call it?"

"nineteen kids and counting."

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

Platystemon posted:

It’s called “updog”.

What the gently caress is the internet?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

lol. i want to know who ever tried that stuff, maybe we’re missing out?

The services themselves suck but if you're the kind of person who rotates between like ten different meals you know how to cook it's nice in that the recipes they send you are actually easy to make and usually pretty good and you can just buy poo poo to make them yourself. Of course I didn't pay for it but as an idea provider for a week I'll admit that it did get one or two easy dishes into the rotation.

Willa Rogers posted:

twelfth grade:

my friends & I sit through the calling of the numbers for the birthday lottery for the draft & a few of of us burst into tears when our friend's bf comes up no. 10 for Who Gets to Go to Vietnam?

I've asked my dad many times how this didn't radicalize every single American and have never gotten a satisfying answer. The government is literally plucking you out of the prime of your life to fight for something obviously bullshit and you get back and still believe the hype? What the gently caress is wrong with you, I've never been sent anywhere and I'm ready to flush the whole thing down the toilet.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Morbus posted:

if onions go up another dollar i am going to become a terrorist.

I’m still lmaoing at this

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Griz posted:

it costs more than takeout and produces an immense amount of packaging garbage.

Yeah, I've had two Hell Fresh subs (one time I did it, and more recently my roommate tried it). They did improve the packaging in the ~4 years between subs, but it was still very wasteful. You literally get little plastic packets of everything.

To top it off, everything tastes samey. I'm guessing that because they put everything in packets, they just have a limited pallet and just swap everything around. It's literally the kind of thing you do for a month because it was free or deeply discounted, and then cancel it before you get to the real cost.

a primate posted:

I’m still lmaoing at this

Onions have been pricy as hell lately, the bags I normally buy have the same amount of onions in them, but they're about 1/3 to 1/2 the size, and they go rotten fast. In the past it was rare that I'd get an onion that went mushy, usually they sprout first, but lately I'm getting mush a week after I bought the bag.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

LastInLine posted:

I've asked my dad many times how this didn't radicalize every single American and have never gotten a satisfying answer. The government is literally plucking you out of the prime of your life to fight for something obviously bullshit and you get back and still believe the hype? What the gently caress is wrong with you, I've never been sent anywhere and I'm ready to flush the whole thing down the toilet.

at least sixteen thousand people felt patriotic at this tweet and what it represents:

the reason your dad's generation could be shipped off to an illegal racist war and look up to rapists and still feel proud about their country, is because that's how bad of a drug patriotism is. all that matters is that america is the best and anybody who says otherwise is a dirty commie. any more thought is unpatriotic.

this country is a vile wasteland and everyone who votes is part of the problem

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status...ingawful.com%2F

thank u, joe

perfect time of year to visit Saudi Arabia also

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
feinstein curses you out in her lobby because you are a young

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

LastInLine posted:

It was just 20 years after WW2, the idea that everyone in the USA was here to save the world was the prevailing attitude at the time. That thinking got grinded down as the war dragged on obviously.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Stereotype posted:

yeah it would be nuts to live through threat of war between two nuclear powers, or deaths of prominent community leaders, or an unjust war that took the lives of thousands of american soldiers and millions of innocent civilians, or massive government corruption at the highest level, or an oil crisis, or stagflation. i can't even imagine how hard it must have been to go through all that and then fix none of it and make it all worse

Let's talk in 40 years when millennials and gen z have also not fixed anything and we do this all over again, again.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Lib and let die posted:

i'm dumb as hell and refuse to look at either the d&d or cspam covid thread (maybe smarter than i give myself credit for?) are we just doing the "omicron was the Last Variant" and these BA things are just unremarkable offshoots that don't get a new letter designation because We Told You Stupid Consumers That COVID Is Over, Dammit?

Sorry, a bit late to reply, and I'm phone-posting so don't have some resources super-handy, but:

Yea TPTB appear to have leaned on the WHO etc and discouraged new greek letters being introduced for covid. It was always for the general public, just layman's terms to simplify media coverage.

Anyways, here's a visual representing the relative "differences" between the thousands of sub-variants. You can view "further apart" as indicating "greater amount of notable mutations which alter its potency for transmission, severe infection, immune escape, etc".

If you don't want more info, okay, stay safe.
If you're curious to learn more, visit the cspam covid thread.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

covid is over. vote.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

yeah i dont see the point of following covid news closely unless theres a mask mandate where i live. the US government and 99% of people gave up and now its an endemic virus that will be with us forever lmao

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

THS2 posted:

yeah i dont see the point of following covid news closely unless theres a mask mandate where i live. the US government and 99% of people gave up and now its an endemic virus that will be with us forever lmao

this sentence is essentially a mad lib

quote:

yeah i dont see the point of following gun policy closely unless theres a mass shooting where i live. the US government and 99% of people gave up and now its thousands of guns that will be with us forever lmao

yeah i dont see the point of following economic news closely unless theres a market crash where i live. the US government and 99% of people gave up and now its a scheme to transfer wealth upward that will be with us forever lmao

yeah i dont see the point of following environmental news closely unless theres a climate disaster where i live. the US government and 99% of people gave up and now its an omnipresent climate catastrophe that will be with us forever lmao

living in the imperial core when the imperialists turn the project inward whips rear end, it's cool and good and I'm hooting and hollering about it every day

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
giving up and not paying attention to the news at all would probably be the smartest move, yes, but it's the one that by definition people here can't do

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

this sentence is essentially a mad lib

living in the imperial core when the imperialists turn the project inward whips rear end, it's cool and good and I'm hooting and hollering about it every day

what do you want me to do about it exactly. what action would be acceptable in your book. posting about it, staying in quarantine, and driving myself even more insane through anxiety? and yeah youre right that wed probably all be better off if we logged off and never cared about politics again

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dont tune out until the democrats are destroyed

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

THS2 posted:

what do you want me to do about it exactly. what action would be acceptable in your book. posting about it, staying in quarantine, and driving myself even more insane through anxiety? and yeah youre right that wed probably all be better off if we logged off and never cared about politics again

huh? i don’t want you to do anything about it, I want you to lol and lmao at the state of the world with you!

everything sucks and it’s hilarious, that’s the only thing I wanted to say :)

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

huh? i don’t want you to do anything about it, I want you to lol and lmao at the state of the world with you!

everything sucks and it’s hilarious, that’s the only thing I wanted to say :)

thanks man, im right there with you. from what i understand of psychology, being constantly mad and upset while cutting yourself off from society isnt a sustainable solution for functioning long term. you can laugh or you can cry, esp. over things you have no control over

like imagine not ever going out because you’re afraid of a mass shooting. thats no way to live

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

In Training posted:

Couldnt you just burn your draft card if you didnt want to go.

lol, only if you whispered the magic spell at the same time.

you could starve yourself to be underweight or have sympathetic doctors remove a couple digits from your hand, both of which I heard suggested at draft-evasion seminars.

a relative of mine went on leave while serving in vietnam and never returned; he spent a decade in canada before the mass pardon then became an antiwar activist in latin america during the time in which the cia was most active destabilizing the region.

that was a success story compared to some of the stories I heard from other vietnam veterans, but most didn't talk about their experiences there.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Jun 14, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Stereotype posted:

1. it's not a competition

2. boomers lived thru your heartaches, too

3. we (meaning the non-powerful & the non-wealthy) were as capable of fixing things as the younger ones are now

:bravo: on buying into the concerted effort to divide people by attributes other than class & power, though!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

It was just 20 years after WW2, the idea that everyone in the USA was here to save the world was the prevailing attitude at the time. That thinking got grinded down as the war dragged on obviously.

it only ended because they got rid of the exemptions that excluded (most of) the rich & powerful from serving.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

generational warfare is bullshit but hard not to fall into. i think it stems from a few things

most obviously, the most visible and powerful people in politics are boomers and refuse to retire

also it’s important to remember that the boomers you see are the boomers who made it to 2022. lower income people have shorter lifespans so youre left with the more privileged boomers, who would have outsized influence regardless

lastly lead poisoning, but it remains to be seen how your brain reacts long term to being 1/3rd microplastics by weight so dont feel too smug

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

THS2 posted:

generational warfare is bullshit but hard not to fall into. i think it stems from a few things

most obviously, the most visible and powerful people in politics are boomers and refuse to retire

also it’s important to remember that the boomers you see are the boomers who made it to 2022. lower income people have shorter lifespans so youre left with the more privileged boomers, who would have outsized influence regardless

lastly lead poisoning, but it remains to be seen how your brain reacts long term to being 1/3rd microplastics by weight so dont feel too smug

there’s also the open contempt our gerontocracy has for the young, which is one more reason the democrats will be destroyed in 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

THS2 posted:

the most (or just as many) visible & powerful people in politics are silents, at least among democrats.

but wait till ya see what the x'ers have in store. They're already the trumpiest generation, lol.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

THS2 posted:

goddam aids took out the most talented of my generation hands-down.

but plenty of non-privileged survived, too, which is why there's still a sizable chunk of olds living off their scant social-security checks.

repeat after me till it sinks in: it's class, not age.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The thing about your boomer defense is that boomers supported the Vietnam war more than any other generation alive at the time, in spite of the hippy peacenik stereotypes.

You, personally, might not be as bad as your generation, but your generation, collectively has been the most bootlicker, pro-war, Reagan-electing, union busting psychopaths since the dawn of the twentieth century.

There's damage that the politics and individual beliefs of boomers has done, while not totally unique, that cannot be handwaved away. You can't just put that down to "generational warfare" because the poo poo is already on the floor.

Understand that I don't hate you, and I don't hate every boomer blindly, but what happened to your generation can never be allowed to happen again.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

the most (or just as many) visible & powerful people in politics are silents, at least among democrats.

but wait till ya see what the x'ers have in store. They're already the trumpiest generation, lol.

Yup Biden, Pelosi, Feinstein, aren’t boomers. People forget how old they really are.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ikanreed posted:

The thing about your boomer defense is that boomers supported the Vietnam war more than any other generation alive at the time, in spite of the hippy peacenik stereotypes.

You, personally, might not be as bad as your generation, but your generation, collectively has been the most bootlicker, pro-war, Reagan-electing, union busting psychopaths since the dawn of the twentieth century.

There's damage that the politics and individual beliefs of boomers has done, while not totally unique, that cannot be handwaved away. You can't just put that down to "generational warfare" because the poo poo is already on the floor.

Understand that I don't hate you, and I don't hate every boomer blindly, but what happened to your generation can never be allowed to happen again.

Lol buddy Reagan and friends ain’t got nothing on what Millennials, Zoomers and Alphas are going to do with this country in the next twenty years.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

ikanreed posted:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

ikanreed posted:

https://youtu.be/lqkYf3pOnow

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
gently caress boomers

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
ascribing anything to generational differences is hilarious. capital demanded union busting and endless wars and neoliberal austerity projects, and blaming anything on ”boomers” as a monolithic block is as naive as saying “oh the zoomers will save us” or, look it’s the old thread favorite, “demographics are destiny”

zooomers will grow up to be enforcers of capital just like their parents, and their parents parents, and all the way back, until capitalism is crushed, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

ascribing anything to generational differences is hilarious. capital demanded union busting and endless wars and neoliberal austerity projects, and blaming anything on ”boomers” as a monolithic block is as naive as saying “oh the zoomers will save us” or, look it’s the old thread favorite, “demographics are destiny”

zooomers will grow up to be enforcers of capital just like their parents, and their parents parents, and all the way back, until capitalism is crushed, hth.

i normally agree with this, but otoh i think Alphas are in a unique place to completely wreck poo poo up:

1. empire visibly crumbling their entire lives
2. socialization disrupted by covid
3. we foolishly named them the Alphas

if the Alphas don't turn us into a fascist hellscape then surely the Betas will just burn the whole country down for the lols