Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Dolash posted:

Saw a fun idea somewhere on the difference between Byleth and Shez, where Three Houses is how Byleth sees battles - as chess matches that focus on positioning and matching the strength of their different commanders against the enemy's officers. Three Hopes is how Shez sees battles, as chaotic melees with hundreds of dudes pouring in from all sides while they focus on giving the enemy leader the old ba-boom.

A bit late to this, but the bolded bit might be one of the biggest laughs I've gotten out of either 3H game, and 100% wiped away any lingering concerns I may have had about Shez. I'm all-in on this dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

mabels big day posted:

FEW was like this except you only got convos at A rank and nothing else, and even then not every pair had them. So this is technically an upgrade to that

Just think of it as RD's support system except with some actual conversations.

It's definitely a bit of a step back from Three Houses' level of Support Conversations, though, which is a slight disappointment for people tuning in for More Three Houses. It sort of tips their hand about which support pairings are the most important for various characters based on which ones got cut (RIP Annette and Felix).

It'd be good to know more about the recruitment system and whether paired endings are still a thing. Grinding everyone in the same house up to C in the demo just for the sake of it will definitely have an impact later if the other houses' characters become available.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Dolash posted:

It's definitely a bit of a step back from Three Houses' level of Support Conversations, though, which is a slight disappointment for people tuning in for More Three Houses. It sort of tips their hand about which support pairings are the most important for various characters based on which ones got cut (RIP Annette and Felix).

It'd be good to know more about the recruitment system and whether paired endings are still a thing. Grinding everyone in the same house up to C in the demo just for the sake of it will definitely have an impact later if the other houses' characters become available.

Wow they cut Annette and Felix too? I thought that was one of the like more popular ships for non lords. Like I'd at least admit that Hubert/Bernadetta is a bit of a niche ship, but it still stings they cut it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Eimi posted:

Wow they cut Annette and Felix too? I thought that was one of the like more popular ships for non lords. Like I'd at least admit that Hubert/Bernadetta is a bit of a niche ship, but it still stings they cut it.

I actually checked out AO3 (granted, it's a niche subset of the western FE fandom and a M/M leaning, but it's still a way to check out popular leanings) and indeed, Annette/Felix is his most popular het pairing and a top 10 pairing overall.

That said the most popular ship on there for Byleth after the lords is Seteth so I have to put their judgment into question.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mental stability is attractive and also in short supply at Garreg Mach, especially if you want an adult.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Sydin posted:

Following up on this: data miners are pretty sure now that Rhea actually is playable, or at least was intended to be playable at some point. Rather than merged head/face sprites they're now assuming playability based off the existence of a tactical skill - which Rhea has - which would only need to exist if the player could give that unit orders on the map.

Following up on this: As it is in the demo some units are missing Tactical Skills that we otherwise do know have/should have them. Byleth and Seteth both don't have any - or any skills at all - even though Byleth's unique class is in the game. (Haven't checked Alois though, but I doubt he has anything.) Bizarrely, Prologue Shez also doesn't have any skills either.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Pureauthor posted:

I hope the game has costumes.

At the very least, it seems like all the characters have at least three outfits you can put them in: their pre time skip outfits, their post time skip outfits, and the outfit for generic soldiers of whatever class they are. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more later.

Mysticblade posted:

For Ferdie, I didn't get points with him when I blew him off accidentally. I think for some choices, none of the options will give you points.

Okay that's good to know. At least I don't have to stress that I'm making the wrong decisions, then.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

That said the most popular ship on there for Byleth after the lords is Seteth so I have to put their judgment into question.

Is the questionable part that they list Dimitri and Claude above Seteth?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Is the questionable part that they list Dimitri and Claude above Seteth?

...yeah, in retrospect I worded that terribly, my bad. I meant more like extremely weird, given the fandom and how shipping usually works, Seteth being so high for fanfic shipping wasn't what I expected.

Granted, outside of Catherine, Shamir and maybe Manuela he's the least questionable pairing for Byleth.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm pretty sure he's the single least questionable pairing, in that he ticks all the boxes of "functioning," "personable," and "has never been a teenager in Byleth's care."

Well, I guess he and Hanneman, but ehhh.

Obviously Edelgard is the correct pairing for female Byleth, but there's some real questionable power dynamics at play if you really want to go there.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Can't wait to A support Edelgard and Byleth, and then A support Hubert and Monica so they can go for drinks and commiserate over the fact that they're stuck simping for life.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
what's the worst romantic support and why is it dorothea/hanneman

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For M!Byleth I like pairing him with Shamir. A couple of mercenaries who have no idea how to deal with emotions and who fall in love and absolutely cannot express it in any way other than "yeah we love each other, glad we got that out of the way, let's go fight some more people"

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

They should have let the fByleth be a homewrecker with Alois.

E. Yeah, Shamir is a great pairing, but only works for male.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sydin posted:

Can't wait to A support Edelgard and Byleth, and then A support Hubert and Monica so they can go for drinks and commiserate over the fact that they're stuck simping for life.

I mean I'm personally angling for FShez and Monica, especially with the fanon interpretation that Shez is actually really into Byleth. Same outcome really just gayer.

mastajake posted:

They should have let the fMByleth be a homewrecker with Alois.

fixed that one.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sudden Javelin posted:

all the obvious reasons aside, it could have been genuinely touching and sweet if it was basically exactly the same but not romantic

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sudden Javelin posted:

Hanneman has the largest gap between good supports and awful supports in the game. Like he has 3 full A supports with students where they get a unique ending about how they become colleagues and lifelong friends who work well together and they're really cool! (Annette, Marianne, Lysithea)

And then you have the ones where he gets into a relationship out of nowhere with the student instead of continuing to have the wholesome mentor relationship with them which are creepy as hell.

And then you have the best ending where you pair him Manuela so they can continue being dumb jackasses together forever.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sudden Javelin posted:

Seteth/Bernie comes completely out of left field in the ending slide and is both creepy and kinda out of place given that Seteth has a bunch of supports with other female students that are otherwise pretty platonic.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Re: The lack of certain support conversations, I imagine for a lot of pairings they felt that there wasn't any new ground to cover, and didn't want whatever they wrote to just end up being a retread of their 3 Houses support. Not everyone is going to agree with that decision, of course, but I can at least understand it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
But for real the worst romantic one is Byleth/Rhea and it isn't a contest considering their whole uh everything.

Byleth/Sothis is also incredibly weird and probably should not exist. Especially since Sothis spends most of the game dead again and she looks like she's 10 even as a weird disembodied spirit in Byleth's head.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Jeritza sounds like he's about to start singing the monster mash any second now. Cool Demo so far, hoping the Golden Deer don't get a hand me down campaign this time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Deer actually getting something to do that isn't a rehashed Church route is the most exciting thing about 3 Hopes.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh right, forgot Catherine is way into Rhea and also a psycho. Hanneman feels way too old to pair him with anyone but Manuela. Except Lysithea platonically since their ending has Lysithea be free of her crests and live a long life while also being a kickass researcher.

mastajake posted:

They should have let the fByleth be a homewrecker with Alois.

I miss the days where MByleth's gay options were dating a widowed man/NTR, loving Annette's dad and Linhardt. IS truly robbed us of something beautiful with those bait endings.

Zore posted:

But for real the worst romantic one is Byleth/Rhea and it isn't a contest considering their whole uh everything.

Byleth/Sothis is also incredibly weird and probably should not exist. Especially since Sothis spends most of the game dead again and she looks like she's 10 even as a weird disembodied spirit in Byleth's head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIfQRGWTSQE

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zore posted:

Yes but it also lead to this comic and that's just delightful imo

https://twitter.com/k_nonomo/status/1175099585506594816

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Eimi posted:

I mean I'm personally angling for FShez and Monica, especially with the fanon interpretation that Shez is actually really into Byleth.

I feel like you just opened my eyes

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sydin posted:

Seteth/Bernie comes completely out of left field in the ending slide and is both creepy and kinda out of place given that Seteth has a bunch of supports with other female students that are otherwise pretty platonic.

Eh, that one bothers me less given that it states like a decade passes between the ending and their marriage. I think all of Seteth's paired endings do, actually.

Zore posted:

That one is hella weird, yes, but I don't really read it as romantic. You don't even get a special ending slide, just "okay you don't want a paired ending, gently caress it, you can have the brain gremlin back if you want."

Like both are still off-putting, but there are far more directly off-putting endings out there.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Eh, that one bothers me less given that it states like a decade passes between the ending and their marriage. I think all of Seteth's paired endings do, actually.

That one is hella weird, yes, but I don't really read it as romantic. You don't even get a special ending slide, just "okay you don't want a paired ending, gently caress it, you can have the brain gremlin back if you want."

Like both are still off-putting, but there are far more directly off-putting endings out there.

Byleth literally proposes to Sothis using their mother's ring. And Sothis is 100% on the romantic train.

It is a really bizarre ending. Spoilered it here, but uh I dunno how you don't read that as a romantic thing

Sothis S Support posted:

S Support
Byleth: ...
Byleth:
Choice 1: The war is over...
Byleth:
Choice 1: But this is only the beginning...
Sothis: Complain, complain, complain... What is it now?
Byleth: Hm?!
Sothis: You are a fool! Just standing there and acting nonchalant! Have you already forgotten about me?!
Byleth:
Choice 1: You said you were going to vanish...
Sothis: I also said I would always be with you! But perhaps you would have preferred it if I had vanished without a trace! Hmph. You were alone... And so I chose to come back to this world...to stay with you.
Byleth:
Choice 1: I was doing OK...
Choice 2: I was lonely.
Sothis:
Choice 1 response: Do not put on a show! You know you cannot hide your truth from me.
Choice 2 response: I know, I know. Keep back your tears. You have me now.
Sothis: And I must say...that you have done quite well. Of course you have. I chose to join our souls because I have great faith in you. And yet, I must admit I did not know you would achieve so much. To think you could have died so early on...
Byleth:
Choice 1: Was it you who saved me?
Choice 2: That was a close call...
Sothis:
Choice 1 response: Well, who can say? My memory is faint...
Choice 2 response: And that is all you have to say? You are impossible to stir...
Sothis: But all is well that ends so well. Is that not what they say?
Byleth:
Choice 1: Since you're here... I want you to have this.
Sothis: Huh? What is that thing?! A ring, of course. But I must ask... For whom?
Byleth:
Choice 1: My pocket.
Sothis: I see... Or no. I take it back. You are not making any sense! Could it be... that my own feelings were somehow influential? But when I think about it like that, I can't help but feel that... that... That I'm so in love I should make an eternal vow!
Byleth:
Choice 1: Do you really love that much?
Sothis: What?! Oh! I! Were you... eavesdropping?! Oh, fine! I shall admit... I do. I love you deeply! Overwhelmingly! Passionately! Ours is a love without an end! And so... I guess I shall accept that ring of yours.
Byleth:
Choice 1: You will?
Sothis: Indeed. It's only right, for you and I are joined within our souls. And that is much the same as marriage, don't you think?
Sothis:
(Black Eagles route) The stone within your chest... It is no more.
(other routes) The stone within your chest is little more than decoration now.
Sothis: That means...it is within your very soul that I exist.
Sothis: And so? Whatever are you waiting for?
Byleth:
Choice 1: How do I...
Sothis: Hm? Ah. Well, just wear it on your own finger! Our love is all that matters, not a ring. The two of us are one, for now and ever. I hope you are aware of that. In sickness and in health, and come what may, I shall be deep within your heart. I... I love you. And I can feel the warmth of love from you as well.
Byleth:
Choice 1: I love you too.
Sothis: I know. You can no longer hide a thing from me. The day you die, I'll follow you. We shall journey as one until the end of time. I never tire of being around you. Since we could not trade words for far too long, I have much that I wish to say to you! I know just where to start. Do you recall what we spoke of before? I had told you not to let your guard down... Honestly, I adore you, but you can be so childish...

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zore posted:

Deer actually getting something to do that isn't a rehashed Church route is the most exciting thing about 3 Hopes.

It's definitely interesting that in Crimson Blaze you just start on the far side of the river in Alliance territory setting up your attack into the Monastery, meanwhile in Golden Wildfire you start defending the bridge and are gearing up to parry the Empire's initial thrust into Alliance territory. It's also mentioned in Azure Gleam that the Monastery fell and the Kingdom is going to take in and protect the surviving church members, so the demo seems to set up AG and CB as opposites of eachother, while GW might completely upend the start of the war by denying Edelgard an easy path to quickly toppling the church.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

lunar detritus posted:

I feel like you just opened my eyes

https://twitter.com/oratoza/status/1525721367420600320

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Zore posted:

Byleth literally proposes to Sothis using their mother's ring. And Sothis is 100% on the romantic train.

It is a really bizarre ending. Spoilered it here, but uh I dunno how you don't read that as a romantic thing

uh ok yeah nevermind

I think I must have blocked out the actual conversation.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

More proof this game is made by huge FE:3H fans: they’re really leaning into the teatime

https://twitter.com/serenesforest/status/1536639346400534533?s=21&t=ko7czss05wrnWFySs__q7Q

Now you get to go on romantic horse rides to picturesque locations where you have picnics. Almost feels like spite and I love it

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sydin posted:

If Ionius can have consorts so can Edelgard.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Obviously Edelgard is the correct pairing for female Byleth, but there's some real questionable power dynamics at play if you really want to go there.
the power dynamics are what make it extremely good

having the hots for your improbably young teacher is a cornerstone of the yuri genre

(besides, when she becomes emperor the power dynamic inverts dramatically so I never understood the Harsh Discourse surrounding edeleth in the first place)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Everyone knows college professor outranks emperor.

Marcus Aurelius wrote many a tract on this

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Blaziken386 posted:

(besides, when she becomes emperor the power dynamic inverts dramatically so I never understood the Harsh Discourse surrounding edeleth in the first place)

They don't cancel each other out just because they have opposite directions.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean then that gets into the idea an emperor can never marry unless it’s another monarch. Which did not happen often for obvious reasons

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean yeah if you want to establish any kind of relationship dynamic where your partner could ever be your equal, and not just a subject who happens to be your consort, when you are the emperor, you kind of have to tear down the entire institution of feudalism first.

which,

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

the power dynamics are what make it extremely good

having the hots for your improbably young teacher is a cornerstone of the yuri genre

:hmmyes:

Who doesn't want their girlfriend to be a literal empress?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So I figured I'd download the demo and give it a shot. This is my first ever musou game, so I'm playing on Normal/Casual, and I've gotten to the end of the pre-timeskip section. The game is throwing an overwhelming amount of information at me. Materials, weapons, status effects, abilities, classes, oh my god there's so much. Except none of it really seems to matter. I mash Y and X a lot and a bunch of enemies die. Sometimes I press A when the meter fills up and a bunch of enemies really die. The game tells me that one of my bases is being attacked, so I send over the person with the most up arrows against the attacker. I find a boss and mash Y and X some more. Then I win. Triple S rank. Sure, I guess?

I get that I'm still basically in tutorial land, so I'm not exactly expecting a challenge, but having never played a musou before, I guess I'm just curious about how these games generally progress. Does the combat gain more depth or am I just going to be mashing all game? Are all these weapons and materials and classes and skill cross-training and etc etc etc things that I'm going to have to pay attention to? Is there more strategy to sending people around the map beyond "send the guy with the most up arrows"? I'm not trying to poo poo on the game, I'm just trying to get a sense of how a musou plays beyond the tutorial. It's hard to know whether this is worth buying from the bit that's available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Byleth is not capable of engaging any of their students romantically during White Clouds when a student/teacher power dynamic is in play. A supports and proposals only come after it's been 5+ years since Byleth was teaching them and I believe every character who can be romanced is of age by that time. :shrug:

If anything the power dynamic between Edelgard and Byleth is firmly in the former having all the power, since Edelgard is emperor and Byleth on CF is just a mute weirdo who's firmly alienated every other faction and wouldn't really have anywhere to turn but the Empire even if they wanted to leave.