Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
boomers may be a dipshit generation that ruined the world, but then again my generation have been letting their decrepit asses get away with it so it's hard to say who's worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cerebral Bore posted:

boomers may be a dipshit generation that ruined the world, but then again my generation have been letting their decrepit asses get away with it so it's hard to say who's worse

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

ascribing anything to generational differences is hilarious. capital demanded union busting and endless wars and neoliberal austerity projects, and blaming anything on ”boomers” as a monolithic block is as naive as saying “oh the zoomers will save us” or, look it’s the old thread favorite, “demographics are destiny”

zooomers will grow up to be enforcers of capital just like their parents, and their parents parents, and all the way back, until capitalism is crushed, hth.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

ascribing anything to generational differences is hilarious. capital demanded union busting and endless wars and neoliberal austerity projects, and blaming anything on ”boomers” as a monolithic block is as naive as saying “oh the zoomers will save us” or, look it’s the old thread favorite, “demographics are destiny”

zooomers will grow up to be enforcers of capital just like their parents, and their parents parents, and all the way back, until capitalism is crushed, hth.

Generational differences not being a fundamental force of nature doesn't make them not real.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
it's a fun excuse to use the word cohort

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

mawarannahr posted:

lol. i want to know who ever tried that stuff, maybe we’re missing out?

i got a free month of hello fresh which is similar and it sucked rear end, produce was always wilted and the premade sauces and such tasted like poo poo

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Father, I cannot click the generational cohort

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mayor Dave posted:

i got a free month of hello fresh which is similar and it sucked rear end, produce was always wilted and the premade sauces and such tasted like poo poo

Yeah, the produce was definitely not up to my standards, but it was at least edible, mostly the stuff you're going to throw out if you don't use it in a day or two. The pair of garlic cloves floating around in the bottom of the bag were pretty funny to me IMHO.

For all the poo poo I talk about Hello Fresh, I probably would have loved it in the early 00's when I burnt out my microwave and had to learn how to cook things that were not Hot Pockets. So yeah, if you're on your own for the first time and don't have things like "sour cream" or "seasoning blends" on hand, a month or so of Hello Fresh could probably get you into the cooking spirit and teach you a few things.

You would be better off in the long run just buying a cookbook from America's Test Kitchen.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

THS2 posted:

what do you want me to do about it exactly. what action would be acceptable in your book. posting about it, staying in quarantine, and driving myself even more insane through anxiety?

Well you should probably avoid COVID as much as you can but you do you, I'm not your cardiologist/endocrinologist/neurologist.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Okay, maybe one war other than class war.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Trabisnikof posted:

i normally agree with this, but otoh i think Alphas are in a unique place to completely wreck poo poo up:

1. empire visibly crumbling their entire lives
2. socialization disrupted by covid
3. we foolishly named them the Alphas

if the Alphas don't turn us into a fascist hellscape then surely the Betas will just burn the whole country down for the lols

Legit the first time I'm encountering Alphas and Betas as generational shorthand. Huh.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

kalensc posted:

Legit the first time I'm encountering Alphas and Betas as generational shorthand. Huh.

:same:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

omega is more fitting cause ya know. rip earth

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I still support the Vietnam war

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Biden got confused when his handlers told him to be anti-BDS and thought they said anti-BTS and made them break up

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

THS2 posted:

generational warfare is bullshit but hard not to fall into. i think it stems from a few things

most obviously, the most visible and powerful people in politics are boomers and refuse to retire

also it’s important to remember that the boomers you see are the boomers who made it to 2022. lower income people have shorter lifespans so youre left with the more privileged boomers, who would have outsized influence regardless

lastly lead poisoning, but it remains to be seen how your brain reacts long term to being 1/3rd microplastics by weight so dont feel too smug

I still think the only truly relevant generational difference (assuming similar material circumstances) is the difference in media consumption behavior. Boomers came of age and lived most of their lives during probably the most thoroughly and consistently propagandized period in all of human history - the period when television existed but internet didn't. The vast majority of them had access to nothing but traditional print/televised media, and while generations before them also only had access to such media, that media was *far* less pervasive than television, allowing more room for independent "un-guided" thought (so more room to do things like organize with co-workers without your entire worldview constantly being curated by TV). And for those after boomers/gen-x, while the internet is obviously also full of propaganda, it's still not quite the same as television. Even though the major media organizations dominate internet messaging, other information is at least present and accessible, which wasn't true for television.

The biggest gap in perception, assuming similar values and socioeconomic position, seems to be that most boomers are genuinely oblivious that TV/newspapers aren't just "where you find out what's happening." Referring to TV for information is just "what you do."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

kalensc posted:

They are mostly used as placeholders, on the assumption they’ll be replaced with something more descriptive once we know what really defines those generations. So we might change alphas to penultimate for example

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

PerniciousKnid posted:

Well you should probably avoid COVID as much as you can but you do you, I'm not your cardiologist/endocrinologist/neurologist.

im one of the only people i know irl who hasn’t gotten covid :cool:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

THS2 posted:

Thats probably because you're among the elect.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

THS2 posted:

same tho my gangtags would indicate different

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man boomers did a number on people's loving heads. It makes me wonder if blaming them for everything will feel less satisfying when they're all dead and the young are still alive. will it just be "pee pa po, I'm living in some bullshit don maclean world now but it's ok, I still have an identity honest. my fight is active"

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

real talk if I could wave a magic wand and wish away the problems of climate change, total economic collapse, the takeover of our political institutions and law enforcement by literal nazis, etc., but like the casting cost of the spell is that we have to have a draft where people are randomly selected to go die in some stupid loving war instead of forced to do so because of their material circumstances, I'm pretty sure I'd take that trade in a loving heartbeat.

"oh they killed all of our great leaders" THEY KILLED OURS TOO they've just gotten a lot better at identifying who they need to kill before you ever hear about them, and doing the murder in a way that doesn't attract as much attention. imagine if instead of murdering MLK in 1968, they murdered him 15 years earlier, before the montgomery bus boycott, and the murder takes the form of some random shooting at a crosswalk or, worst case, getting pulled over and the police thought he had a gun. now imagine they're doing that hundreds of times each year. that is how cointelpro works, today.

the "gently caress boomers" debate isn't about arguing over who got a better deal out of america. that isn't up for debate. the answer to that is very, very clear. the "gently caress boomers" debate is about identifying the assholes who in the worst case insist that they had it tougher, or failing that draw parallels between the loving easy mode, babby's first crisis problems of the 60s and 70s, with the literal end-of-complex-human-civilization-on-planet-earth problems we face now. and, to be clear, it is idiotic to suppose that the typical middle or working-class boomer is responsible for those problems - but a small portion of the profits made in creating these problems, was set aside by the ruling class to pay for their acquiescence, and most boomers did line up with their hand out and say "thank you" after being given their share. that is what people are really griping about, and if your response to all that is "well actually I didn't get my share, turns out" then... well what the gently caress response are you looking for, here? "that's too bad?" like wtf sorry you weren't among the elect who got thrown a relative pittance in exchange for putting a permanent end to human history

ikanreed posted:

The thing about your boomer defense is that boomers supported the Vietnam war more than any other generation alive at the time, in spite of the hippy peacenik stereotypes.

You, personally, might not be as bad as your generation, but your generation, collectively has been the most bootlicker, pro-war, Reagan-electing, union busting psychopaths since the dawn of the twentieth century.

There's damage that the politics and individual beliefs of boomers has done, while not totally unique, that cannot be handwaved away. You can't just put that down to "generational warfare" because the poo poo is already on the floor.

Understand that I don't hate you, and I don't hate every boomer blindly, but what happened to your generation can never be allowed to happen again.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I think the point is that generational war is a media contrivance to distract from class war. Pointing out the grain of truth is as useful here as it is with every other propagandized distraction.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
all humans are born with original sin

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

papa horny michael posted:

I t old a coworker that we are all born in sin and he agreed and then I realized he was religious and probably took me seriously, so I explained I meant capitalism. He doesn't talk to me much anymore ,probably because I'm not fun to interact with!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

papa horny michael posted:

I was only able to find a pirate cd for a dollar :(

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Zerg Mans posted:

I t old a coworker that we are all born in sin and he agreed and then I realized he was religious and probably took me seriously, so I explained I meant capitalism. He doesn't talk to me much anymore ,probably because I'm not fun to interact with!

lol i hear that

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think the point is that generational war is a media contrivance to distract from class war. Pointing out the grain of truth is as useful here as it is with every other propagandized distraction.
oh sure but I'm still allowed to be annoyed with people who interact with the contrivance from a different perspective than my own, aren't I

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

in every declining society the demented selfish old people in charge are loving it up for everyone else. that’s not really novel. whats novel is advocating senicide at the age of 30

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
implementing the carousel could only improve the world.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

PerniciousKnid posted:

It definitely is, but I think there are valid reasons to be pissed at Boomers in general. Many of them had a part in loving up the world and jut blame their children/grandchildren because they "killed Applebee's".

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

not just a media contrivance, but a dedicated political strategy to promote austerity. That media went along with it is just the icing on the cake.

I wish I could convey how disheartening it is to see leftists ignore this in favor of NO, YOU SHUT UP, DAD

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It definitely is, but I think there are valid reasons to be pissed at Boomers in general. Many of them had a part in loving up the world and jut blame their children/grandchildren because they "killed Applebee's".

more than the silents, or the trump-humping x'ers? I doubt it.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 22:54 on Jun 14, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

we literally are just (somewhat) getting over a pandemic during which hundreds of thousands of olds died & cleared the way for the youngers to take over, a pandemic nicknamed the "boomer remover," and to see youngers still not getting that class war is the only war during my last few years in this shithole country & on earth makes me more depressed than reading lib poo poo in dnd.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am so internet poisoned that reading discussion of alphas, betas, and omegas has just dumped a lot of cortisol into my system.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Willa Rogers posted:

to see youngers still not getting that class war is the only war during my last few years in this shithole country & on earth makes me more depressed than reading lib poo poo in dnd.

Agreed. You're right that the real issue is capital and its boot on our necks.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

real talk if I could wave a magic wand and wish away the problems of climate change, total economic collapse, the takeover of our political institutions and law enforcement by literal nazis, etc., but like the casting cost of the spell is that we have to have a draft where people are randomly selected to go die in some stupid loving war instead of forced to do so because of their material circumstances, I'm pretty sure I'd take that trade in a loving heartbeat.

whoa, you mean if boomers didn't exist we wouldn't have had all those bad things happen & continue to happen, for the cheap-in-your-eyes cost of sacrificing 50,000 working-class lives, and the wounding of millions more, which was an entire class war unto itself?

you've convinced me; let's reinstate the draft & send your pasty rear end to go fight some lovely war that your elders decided on your behalf.

eta:

:ssh: once draftees were "randomly selected" through the lottery, rather than class distinctions like "my daddy is a politician" or "my college work is more important" then the war, and then the draft, came to a fairly swift end.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 23:10 on Jun 14, 2022

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

paul_soccer12 posted:

the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022

many people are saying this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
willa, i posted an incendiary youtube against you in the succ thread as part of the war on olds