Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I am once again asking for you to strike up the old songs, the ones our spawn-fathers knew, and we'll do the lizard dance all around the courtyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Did the Trandoshan fall into that "every single member of the specie is pigeonholed into one specific job" trap that a lof of sci-fi aliens fall into, just because Bossk was a slaver/bounty hunter? I remember that in Republic Commandos you were fighting Trandoshan slavers basically non-stop throughout the game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tekopo posted:

Did the Trandoshan fall into that "every single member of the specie is pigeonholed into one specific job" trap that a lof of sci-fi aliens fall into, just because Bossk was a slaver/bounty hunter? I remember that in Republic Commandos you were fighting Trandoshan slavers basically non-stop throughout the game.

There's Cid in Bad Batch and a jedi in the High Republic stuff but both of those are recent.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Gha Nachkt is a salvage ship owner from Clone Wars, and before they detonated the EU there was Slyssk who started out as a ship thief before learning that his real talents lay in cooking.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
One of the first Star Wars things I read were the OG Knights of the Old Republic comics, and in one of those the main characters' foster parent is a Hutt who's portrayed pretty sympathetically.

If I ever write a Star Wars thing it's going to feature a crime boss on Rodia or somewhere called Natt the Human.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rochallor posted:

One of the first Star Wars things I read were the OG Knights of the Old Republic comics, and in one of those the main characters' foster parent is a Hutt who's portrayed pretty sympathetically.

If I ever write a Star Wars thing it's going to feature a crime boss on Rodia or somewhere called Natt the Human.

That sounds like a legit great idea.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rochallor posted:

Go full Jenny Nicholson on it and have Natt the Human be a whole syndicate of random human criminals and all the Rodians are just racist and can't tell humans apart.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Fey'lya broke up Gavin and Asyr. A million deaths were not enough for Fey'lya!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Say what you will about Fey'lya's fail-yas, he went out like a loving boss

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Since the vast majority of the Star Wars galaxy's lore has its foundations in the West End Games RPG, Trandoshans did kind of spiral out into a race of hunters based on the species backstory they gave to Bossk. Initially it was just that the Trandoshans were super loving racist against Wookiees (they were apparently infuriated by the Wookiees peaceful ways), and volunteered to help enslave Wookiees for the Empire when the Empire started showing up in their corner of the galaxy. Bossk was one of the best Wookiee hunters they had, and he specifically took the job from Vader in the movie because it would give him a chance to hunt down Chewbacca.

From there, they made Bossk's father the leader of the Bounty Hunter's guild and started to tie Trandoshans more into Bounty Hunting in general rather than just a hatred of Wookiees. They even created an entire hunting-based religion for them, where Trandoshan heaven is an arcade leaderboard and they're judged by a scorekeeper goddess who grants them points based on the power or value of their target. Their racism against Wookiees was then reframed as "well, they're just so strong and worth so many points, of course we're going to hunt them the most".

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

ninjahedgehog posted:

Say what you will about Fey'lya's fail-yas, he went out like a loving boss

His final scene in Star by Star loving rules.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I was about to say that the Trandoshan religion was invented as a joke by a comedy sci-fi writer (George Alec Effinger) but then I remembered I was confusing it with the Weequay Magic 8-Ball religion.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Robot Style posted:

Since the vast majority of the Star Wars galaxy's lore has its foundations in the West End Games RPG, Trandoshans did kind of spiral out into a race of hunters based on the species backstory they gave to Bossk. Initially it was just that the Trandoshans were super loving racist against Wookiees (they were apparently infuriated by the Wookiees peaceful ways), and volunteered to help enslave Wookiees for the Empire when the Empire started showing up in their corner of the galaxy. Bossk was one of the best Wookiee hunters they had, and he specifically took the job from Vader in the movie because it would give him a chance to hunt down Chewbacca.

From there, they made Bossk's father the leader of the Bounty Hunter's guild and started to tie Trandoshans more into Bounty Hunting in general rather than just a hatred of Wookiees. They even created an entire hunting-based religion for them, where Trandoshan heaven is an arcade leaderboard and they're judged by a scorekeeper goddess who grants them points based on the power or value of their target. Their racism against Wookiees was then reframed as "well, they're just so strong and worth so many points, of course we're going to hunt them the most".
Which has implications.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

I was about to say that the Trandoshan religion was invented as a joke by a comedy sci-fi writer (George Alec Effinger) but then I remembered I was confusing it with the Weequay Magic 8-Ball religion.

Wait, what is this now?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

honestly trandoshans didn't really get a bad schtick. there's plenty of room for interesting characters within the bounds of "hunting-based religion". compared to, say, sullustans, who are all starship pilots and engineers because a guy sat in the falcon with lando once, or bith, who are always in a band, trandoshans came out ahead imo

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Shadow of the Sith reviews are hitting this morning and have been very positive from the ones I've seen:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2022/06/review-hope-pierces-through-in-adam-christophers-star-wars-shadow-of-the-sith.html
https://www.cinelinx.com/off-beat/the-rack/star-wars-shadow-of-the-sith-does-more-than-fill-the-gaps-book-review/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

Wait, what is this now?

The Weequays worshipped the moon god Quay. There's a story about how in the Star Wars galaxy there's a Magic 8-ball type toy that's a white sphere and when you ask it a question, it responds in one of several pre-recorded answers. Because the balls look like moons, the Weequay believe they are actual manifestations of the moon god and its answers are the god speaking.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're also all written to make Forrest Gump seem smart, which made it a kind of mean-spirited read.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Not to mention them being named after Queequeg from Moby Dick so there's already some, uh... "interesting" racial undertones with them to begin with.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I just cracked up imagining the book being that Bounty Hunter trilogy betrayal chart

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Animal Friend posted:

I just cracked up imagining the book being that Bounty Hunter trilogy betrayal chart

"This Kuat of Kuat keeps getting backstabbed. Which just goes to show you how corrupt Capitalism is at it's core! The Kuat Shipyards are a clear example of how the 1% have created a monopoly over the ship construction industry. If there was just a little regulation from the Republic, he wouldn't have to backstab himself!"

Or, far more likely, "...What the hell is this?"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've been reading Tales from the Empire this week, and it's basically just The Best of the Star Wars Adventure Journal, Issues 1-4 but with no RPG stats or art in it. Kind of a letdown. Of course anything with Adalric Brandl in it is a slog at the best of times, let alone on the second reading.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arquinsiel posted:

I've been reading Tales from the Empire this week, and it's basically just The Best of the Star Wars Adventure Journal, Issues 1-4 but with no RPG stats or art in it. Kind of a letdown. Of course anything with Adalric Brandl in it is a slog at the best of times, let alone on the second reading.

Yeah, I remember that being my least favorite of the "Tales..." collections. The only good thing in it was the joint 4 part story by Zahn and Stackpole, and even that wasn't great.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's just really showing its origins as RPG splatbook fluff text. Anything by Patricia A. Jackson really needs another couple of passes by an editor willing to ask such difficult questions as "why is there a bar in a spaceport docking bay?" and "no really, what the gently caress are you on about?"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Animal Friend posted:

now i just want to see bernie talk about it in very detailed and passionate way at some random stump speech.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Amazing. I have no notes. Adding this to the OP.

Thank you.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Trying to explain the War of the Bounty Hunters arc be like:

:allears: I really wish it was handled better

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

:perfect:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

legend

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I keep clicking but nothing happens. I want to watch!

:hmmyes:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Amazing

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

"as you can see. the empires pernicious activties working with both private massive corporations and so called "small buessness owner" price xizor shows that they were trying put a bind of the assemblers".

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I finished Victory's Price yesterday and it left me rather unsatisfied.

I definitely don't agree with the thread's op calling this a spiritual successor to the old Rogue Squadron series. Those are pulpy action books with a fun cast. This trilogy is a serious look at war and genocide and why people would continue to wage the former when the cause is lost and commit the later despite the incomprehensible horror of it. I also didn't really like any of the Alphabet pilots. Three out of five them are just..."bad people" isn't the right wording, but I couldn't find them a team I could root for like I could with the old EU Rogue & Wraith cast.

The fact the sequel trilogy exists undercuts the whole central narrative in my view. Like ok there's a database of all the crimes ever committed by every single person in the Empire and Soran wants to destroy it because he feels it falling into New Republic hands will spark years of civil unrest and more fighting as former Imperials resist what they perceive as victor's justice from New Republic tribunals. , but I already know what's coming. The First Order is going to rise and shatter the peace and New Republic along with it.

Maybe that's just a weakness of inter-film novels. The bigger questions on the status quo and the future are meaningless because we've ready seen what's going to happen. That's fine though. You can tell smaller personal stories in those types of settings, but like I wrote above I didn't like the main cast enough to care about their stories.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 17, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Coincidentally I figured out why Chass na Chadic pissed me off so much last night: she's written like a Fed.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

As I'm nearing the end of Fate of the Jedi my problem with it as this point isn't that Luke Skywalker and friends are essentially fighting a Mindflayer from DnD. But that she just won't die and go away! The last like 3 books have been just chasing her from planet to planet and killing her again and again. But she just takes her original body and goes away and ugh this is just becoming tedious.

At least in the beginning the mystery of the crazy Jedi was nice intrigue but even that is basically all done at this point and there is still 1 more book to go after this!

Yall weren't kidding about the bad teenage romance like bleh Ben and Vestara really don't have that much of a chemistry together at all even after all of this time! And the whole "will they won't they who will change sides for the other" thing is not interesting. I don't even mind Vestara that much as a character since a Sith point of view is a neat change even if the Lost Tribe as a whole are kinda generically KOTOR 1 evil and one note and that kinda also applies to her too in alot of her scenes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I forget how many concurrent dark siders were active around the time of LOTF/FOTJ. There was the Lost Tribe, Asharad Hett's Sith, Lumiya and Jacen, Abeloth and the homicidal brain damaged twilek. Am I missing anyone?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Does Ship the Ship count even though he just kinda serves the Sith as a whole and doesn't do much actual planning and conniving without sombody telling him to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I loving hate Ship the Ship and his continued existence always annoyed me. Denning just had to have Vestara escape on him at the end of Crucible too.

Ok, back to pretending that Survivor’s Quest was the end of the EU.