Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
no more until Thursday

https://twitter.com/DenverChannel/status/1536734204934819840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yeah I only read a little bit of it because Trump's petulant style eats at me but it's obvious from the first page that Trump didn't write any of that poo poo. Not enough self aggrandizing and calling people losers.

My god, man. Are Joe Biden and Donald Trump the best we have to offer people? We seem to be in the midst of Carter 2.0 where, like all this poo poo, Jimmy was the one who had to clean up and carry the torch after Watergate but at least Carter was a decent enough guy and posited ideas that may have helped. I'm at the point where I don't think a person with a basic sense of decency can even perform the job of POTUS, let alone rise to the office itself. GWB and Obama both squandered great opportunities to try and wrangle this thing together - at least to a point.

And I keep thinking about that Lewis Black bit about the party of lovely ideas and the party of NO ideas.

When I look at these things cyclically, which I think is wise, we seem to be wide open for Reagan 2.0 and this time, that's going to look like Trump or MAYBE DeSantis. The people that currently worship Reagan would run him out on a rail right now if he were to run today. They don't even know why they like him.

I'm not saying Biden didn't inherent a plate of poo poo but some of this stuff that could have been done about it was a layup. $2000 instead of $1400, for instance, right out of the box. I had low expectations for Biden in the first place and he's still managed to disappoint me. It's like going to see a lovely movie where you're not expecting much and it somehow reveals itself to be even shittier than you could have imagined. What can Biden and his party possibly run on this year or in 2024?

...?

The thing about these hearings: Yesterday was a little dry and lacking in the kind of sensational, visceral spark that might get an average, tuned out voter to notice things, unlike day one. I already KNEW most of this poo poo though and had seen the unedited live streams the day they happened. I know in my heart that no one in a position of any power or wealth is going to suffer in any way for trying to conspire and violently overthrow the loving government. Certainly not Trump. At best, they round up a few Proud Boys or something but the GOP candidate will run on a promise of pardoning them and likely deliver when they win.

Half the country is fine with this, will celebrate it, are heavily armed and would like nothing more than to abolish the free press.

I'm over 50 years old and I can't recall a time in my life where things looked this loving bleak. I really can't.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm over 50 years old and I can't recall a time in my life where things looked this loving bleak. I really can't.

Neither could my 86 year old grandmother who died last year.

These are definitely bleak times, but what choice do we have except to keep moving forward? I wish I was born into the world that I hope to live in, yet here I am right here right now. This is our time and its our responsibility to fix the problems, because nobody else is going to save us.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

How are u posted:

Neither could my 86 year old grandmother who died last year.

These are definitely bleak times, but what choice do we have except to keep moving forward? I wish I was born into the world that I hope to live in, yet here I am right here right now. This is our time and its our responsibility to fix the problems, because nobody else is going to save us.

I don't know where to begin "fixing" things. Seems bigger than me and my scope of influence.

My grandma died 11 years ago and she grew up during the depression so, throughout her whole life, things never got worse than that and she was grateful for any improvement. We were very close. She was always mindful of the idea that It Can Happen Here though. I don't know what she might think about the situation right now but I remember talking to her about things like pensions and company loyalty - the things she learned to do and told me to do - don't exist anymore. She worked for Bell her whole life and her husband for Westinghouse. Both retired with great benefits packages that are extinct now.

Sorry I'm off topic but I think it's tangentially related to white grievance (Jan 6)

I think my grandmother would have been horrified with 1/6, especially since it was so many clean cut white people behind it and not those dirty hippies or uppity race baiters like in the 60's and 70's. She'd probably just say it was all up to god or something equally useless and tell me to save my money.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 14, 2022

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm sure it was because I was younger in the 90's but the 90's were a really cool time to live in. We didn't have the bleakness of the 80's nor did we have the post 9/11 death spiral that we are in now. It was just a cool time to listen to cool music, smoke weed with your friends, and just chill. I'm sure that my view of the 90's (again) is heavily tainted by rose colored glasses. I really hoped my kid would grow up in a cool and good America, instead he's got this poo poo hole.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

yronic heroism posted:

Anyone else think we have absolutely no idea how this will shake out? Indictments are still coming down and how high up the chain gets charged is a decision that gets made at the end.

The only prediction I’ll make is if Trump runs and makes it to the general, this will absolutely hurt him. Enough to lose? Depends on the economy in two years, not tomorrow.

Anyone who would claim to know exactly how this is going to shake out should not be trusted to have any idea what they're talking about.

We're way too far off the map to intelligently do anything but handicap possible outcomes.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 14, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Jarmak posted:

Anyone who would claim to know exactly how this is going to shake out should not be trusted to have any idea what they're talking about.

We're way too far off the map to intelligently do anything but give possible outcomes.

I hard agree, we've never been in this neck of the dark and scary woods.

We have a pretty good chunk of people that want to see something happen

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1536740254413213697

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I hard agree, we've never been in this neck of the dark and scary woods.

We have a pretty good chunk of people that want to see something happen

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1536740254413213697

The scary part is some non-zero proportion of that would go on to say, “Therefore lock up Pelosi/Pence/the county clerk in Detroit/etc.”

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

yronic heroism posted:

The scary part is some non-zero proportion of that would go on to say, “Therefore lock up Pelosi/Pence/the county clerk in Detroit/etc.”

I was actually looking for crosstabs on that lol.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

I'm sure it was because I was younger in the 90's but the 90's were a really cool time to live in. We didn't have the bleakness of the 80's nor did we have the post 9/11 death spiral that we are in now. It was just a cool time to listen to cool music, smoke weed with your friends, and just chill. I'm sure that my view of the 90's (again) is heavily tainted by rose colored glasses. I really hoped my kid would grow up in a cool and good America, instead he's got this poo poo hole.

The 90's were pretty great - or at least seemed like it. Jobs in my field were pretty available and paid OK. They'd give me end of year bonuses and poo poo. Things seemed relatively affordable and poo poo that was out of your reach felt doable and obtainable. True, though, it could just be my age at the time and before the weight of the world came crashing down and I had a kid and poo poo and sometimes things got tough but I don't recall this general malaise, pressure and total sense of hopelessness that permeates everything now.

We made do without certain stuff but that was OK and the ratio of crazy christian Rush Limbaugh rednecks to regular folks seemed manageable. It definitely felt less complicated. poo poo got done without the internet, social media, youtube and cell phones just fine. I got laid a lot. The weed was good. Music could be hit or miss and some of it hasn't aged that great but I was OK with most of it. My money, for the most part, allowed me to live a normal middle class life.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

The 90's were pretty great - or at least seemed like it. Jobs in my field were pretty available and paid OK. They'd give me end of year bonuses and poo poo. Things seemed relatively affordable and poo poo that was out of your reach felt doable and obtainable. True, though, it could just be my age at the time and before the weight of the world came crashing down and I had a kid and poo poo and sometimes things got tough but I don't recall this general malaise, pressure and total sense of hopelessness that permeates everything now.

We made do without certain stuff but that was OK and the ratio of crazy christian Rush Limbaugh rednecks to regular folks seemed manageable. It definitely felt less complicated. poo poo got done without the internet, social media, youtube and cell phones just fine. I got laid a lot. The weed was good. Music could be hit or miss and some of it hasn't aged that great but I was OK with most of it. My money, for the most part, allowed me to live a normal middle class life.

I was a teenager in the 90s so obviously my recollections are all clouded by weed. And you don't even know you're in the "good times" until they are gone. But compared to today, holy hell it was the good times. The US was quite literally on top of the world at that point. The cold war was over, Russia was an economic basket case and basically no threat to anyone, China had not yet exploded economically, and while you could see the beginnings of the jihad that would define the early years of the 21st century it wasn't until 9/11 that it shook the country to it's core. The worst domestic scandal in the US was the president lying about getting a BJ. Do you know how quaint that seems compared to a president that literally tried to overturn an election and have his brownshirts storm the capital?

In some ways I'm envious of anyone that was born in the last 20 years. They just don't know how much better things were. It's painful to see things how they are because I remember for like half my life not being this worried.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

yronic heroism posted:

Yeah I'd clock it at 11% of respondents

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Seems Kimberly Gargoyle got paid $60k for her 2 min speech at Jan 6.
All part of the grift.

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1536443088213770243

Also

https://twitter.com/davidmweissman/status/1536739719765078022

OgNar fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 14, 2022

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

I was a teenager in the 90s so obviously my recollections are all clouded by weed. And you don't even know you're in the "good times" until they are gone. But compared to today, holy hell it was the good times. The US was quite literally on top of the world at that point. The cold war was over, Russia was an economic basket case and basically no threat to anyone, China had not yet exploded economically, and while you could see the beginnings of the jihad that would define the early years of the 21st century it wasn't until 9/11 that it shook the country to it's core. The worst domestic scandal in the US was the president lying about getting a BJ. Do you know how quaint that seems compared to a president that literally tried to overturn an election and have his brownshirts storm the capital?

In some ways I'm envious of anyone that was born in the last 20 years. They just don't know how much better things were. It's painful to see things how they are because I remember for like half my life not being this worried.

There was still poo poo going on that hinted at what was to come. Waco, TImothy McVeigh and the Oklahoma City bombing, the Michigan Militia and Montana Freemen... crazy religious or mad at the world aggrieved white men whose jobs were slowly being shipped to China under NAFTA were looking for a target and picked the government.

Then you had welfare reform and your first school shootings (Columbine was 1999). AIDS was always hanging over any sexually active single person's head (single highest cause of death in Americans 25-44). Standard retroviral drugs didn't come about til 1996.

The 1995 heat wave that killed over 700 people in Chicago alone, harbinger of what was to come with climate change.

The Rodney King trial and subsequent riots in L.A. in '92. O.J. trial. The crack epidemic, gang violence, police violence, 'superpredators'. Gulf War I. Bush Sr. wiping out all the Iran-Contra trials by pardoning his five foot soldiers on Christmas Eve 1992 with the help of the one and only Bob Barr (a scandal in and of itself as he was directly implicated and was saving his own rear end as much as theirs).

There was plenty to worry about in the '90s.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

A hit drunk will holler!

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
"I refused alcohol that evening (because I had been drinking steadily since 10 AM and was too poo poo-faced to stand.)"

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I refused all offers of drink, nursing a pint bottle instead because that way antifa can't poison me. My favorite drink (mixer)? Diet Pepsi I'd immediately spit out like water if it contained no hooch.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
"I refused all offers of drink as any beverage I could consume would only dilute my current BAC."

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Lol is Dan Scavino tweeting for Guiliani now?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

“I REFUSED ‘all alcohol’ and reluctantly accepted ‘a poo poo ton of alcohol’!”

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Aww cmon
Today is Trumpys birthday and they couldnt have him jailed on such a special occasion?

https://twitter.com/StandForBetter/status/1536721193599836160

Haha, the Melania bit is great.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 14, 2022

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

That’s so bonkers it has to be real and from him, right? Between low-key thirstiness for his mom and admitting the crimes.

Edit: haha I only saw the thumbnail but with the Melania part it’s too perfect to be real.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 14, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

OgNar posted:

Aww cmon
Today is Trumpys birthday and they couldnt have him jailed on such a special occasion?

Happy Birthday to me today as I remind everyone of that which is truly important again, my grievances.

People that say this can't be real are shitposting and stuck in 2015. One of the annoying things about Twitter.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

OgNar posted:

Aww cmon

Sweet mother of God, this can not be real. Can we get a fact check?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

The best thing is when its so hard to tell.

Pretty sure its not though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kale posted:

Happy Birthday to me today as I remind everyone of that which is truly important again, my grievances.

People that say this can't be real are shitposting and stuck in 2015. One of the annoying things about Twitter.

The Bananana posted:

Oh, yeah. Now THIS one? This one he definitely wrote. Maybe not but that other coherent and succinct one from yesterday or the day before was not him. And even if he didn't compose this letter, the fact that we have to figure it out and wonder says all you need to know. Satire is dead, etc etc.

Also:

I'm not the best looking guy in the world myself but my god. Some Terry Gilliam characters happening here.

Kale
May 14, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, yeah. Now THIS one? This one he definitely wrote. Maybe not but that other coherent and succinct one from yesterday or the day before was not him. And even if he didn't compose this letter, the fact that we have to figure it out and wonder says all you need to know. Satire is dead, etc etc.

Also:

I'm not the best looking guy in the world myself but my god. Some Terry Gilliam characters happening here.

The one that talked about campaign and GOP rhetoric stuff and not about himself did not seem like anything he would write no. I don't think Ive really seen him lean into culture war horseshit except when theres a chance to insult his enemies because it would take time away from talking about his grievances.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I finally caught up (with Monday's) and I find myself wondering how they can charge him. (If polled, yeah I say throw him in prison but) to me it just feels like all the evidence supports impeachment with conviction, namely an utter failure to uphold the requirements of the office despite repeated warnings.

It has not all been presented yet (and sorry I don't remember the remaining five presentation points) but do they need evidence of him communicating with Proud Boys/OK leadership to support a charge of conspiracy? It seems like the $250M is conspiracy to defraud something, and it's a large enough amount for a 1yr prison term probably, so a Capone sentence.

Insufficient legal knowledge on my part, but at the federal level can you blame me?

(At this point it feels like we need twenty solid years of Democrat control of all branches to get back on the right track, let alone ultimately replacing the Democrats with a party that's consistently somewhat left of 1960s-centrism. That anyone voted for Trump in the first place, let alone in 2020 when his consistent public daily failure was evident, is the ultimate issue, and fixing that requires real voter education and accessibility... which just got scorch earthed across most of the country.)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Just because you are drinking straight rum out of a Diet Pepsi bottle doesn't mean you were drinking alcohol.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The lies they told are bullshit! I don't drink.

Pepsi.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BiggerBoat posted:

Also:

his dad looks like some worshiper of chaos but like the early stages.

OgNar posted:

Aww cmon

that whole middle part is insane. like holy gently caress.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

His confidence that nobody’s going to even try to really cramp him is well-founded, and his fans love it when he stunts on their enemies. It’s confident, mocking, blatant and seems so beyond the pale, but that’s been the story over and over already. He’s still got it!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/January6thCmte/status/1536815728208355330

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Side note, I really love the "justice is a cudgel" baseball bat Hershman has on his wall.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

The Bananana posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

his dad looks like some worshiper of chaos but like the early stages.

selec posted:

His confidence that nobody’s going to even try to really cramp him is well-founded, and his fans love it when he stunts on their enemies. It’s confident, mocking, blatant and seems so beyond the pale, but that’s been the story over and over already. He’s still got it!

It says it's a spoof right there in the tweet

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

XboxPants posted:

Side note, I really love the "justice is a cudgel" baseball bat Hershman has on his wall.

I was just staring at the Panda the whole time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It says it's a spoof right there in the tweet

sorry tired. me dumb.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

XboxPants posted:

"Get a great loving criminal defense lawyer. You're gonna need it."

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I don't blame them for taking tomorrow off, just watching all this from home has been exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I think it was really dumb to have only the first hearing at prime time and then the rest at 130pm EST. If they are trying to get the American people to pay attention to this then putting it on while 99% of people are at work was a bad idea. At best some folks will get the 5 minute sound bites of the hearings long after they have ended but that's just not going to have the same impact. They did such a good job with the opening hearing not only in airing it prime time but also with how they decided to present it. It was a much more digestable hearing for normal folks. They should have just kept doing it that way.