Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Android Blues posted:

What I found doing Byblos with monks just now - Focus/Build Up is crucial but mostly for the Drain phase when he hits 800 HP, because he'll cast Protect really quickly no matter what you do. If you're not overlevelled and don't have access to better damage-dealing classes, Build Up is the only thing that stands a chance of beating the numbers on his 66% chance to counter with Drain, and you still need to get lucky.

You also need to get lucky dodging Discord, because it permanently cuts the target monk's damage to around ~10 per swing and if it lands on all of your monks, the Drain phase becomes flat out impossible.

Brutal fight. But satisfying when you finally beat it!
I beat Byblos with zerkers and knights almost entirely off the fact that I got super lucky and he didn't counter with Protect until the sixth hit or so. You can fish for luck on this fight, though it's really frustrating with physical parties no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

theshim posted:

I beat Byblos with zerkers and knights almost entirely off the fact that I got super lucky and he didn't counter with Protect until the sixth hit or so. You can fish for luck on this fight, though it's really frustrating with physical parties no matter what.

With monks it's far more pronounced because both hits of Fight/Build Up can proc counters separately. He has a 1/3rd chance to counter physical damage with Protect, so if you have three monks attacking him, you're looking at a 0.13% chance he won't cast Protect after your party's first round of combat.

It can happen, but you need a lot of RNG to go your way in this fight (it's useless hitting the jackpot on Protect counters if he then uses Sonic Wave/Discord on two of your monks, for instance) and the Drain phase is extra brutal, because he can counter a single Fight with two casts of Drain. You can end up in a scenario where a monk Fights for 88 damage and he Drains twice, deals 400 damage and recovers 400 HP in response.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Android Blues posted:

With monks it's far more pronounced because both hits of Fight/Build Up can proc counters separately. He has a 1/3rd chance to counter physical damage with Protect, so if you have three monks attacking him, you're looking at a 0.13% chance he won't cast Protect after your party's first round of combat.

It can happen, but you need a lot of RNG to go your way in this fight (it's useless hitting the jackpot on Protect counters if he then uses Sonic Wave/Discord on two of your monks, for instance) and the Drain phase is extra brutal, because he can counter a single Fight with two casts of Drain. You can end up in a scenario where a monk Fights for 88 damage and he Drains twice, deals 400 damage and recovers 400 HP in response.
Ugh, that's gross. I'm glad I've never had to do Monk Byblos :(

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Monk Byblos is just having your highest level one stand in front, using !Focus, and praying for a few crits. You don't engage him normally. You hope for !Focus crits and counters. If he's not dead by round 3-4, you reset.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Galick posted:

Monk Byblos is just having your highest level one stand in front, using !Focus, and praying for a few crits. You don't engage him normally. You hope for !Focus crits and counters. If he's not dead by round 3-4, you reset.

I had relative success just persevering until he's at 800 HP, then being incredibly careful about who attacks him and when. In any case you definitely need to reset a lot!

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Knights also have an easier time beating Byblos because of two-handed, giving him less time to use Dischord and Web. On my successful run he only managed to dischord 1 knight before my other 2 reached the drain stage and he didn't counter twice.

Other physical classes don't have that same luxury.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Byblos was a pain, but I finally got through, now I have the un-enviable team of Thief-Monk-Bard-Dragoon, and I honestly don't know what to do here.

Thief gets !Focus for Chicken Knifing

The rest though?

I could give Bard HP+30% so she can survive more than a light breeze
Barehanded is a +8 Str for the Dragoon... or maybe +11 Agi for Artful Dodger
Monk can get... I don't even know. Equip Spears? !Sing, when I need more than one? By end-game I can sing Monk to better punching I guess

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Once you get the speed and level songs your monk is going to be useful but you'll have to do some grinding to get there.

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

I got thief / berserker / beastmaster / dragoon and have bearly made it to w3, thanks kuza and galufs castles :v:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Android Blues posted:

It can happen, but you need a lot of RNG to go your way in this fight (it's useless hitting the jackpot on Protect counters if he then uses Sonic Wave/Discord on two of your monks, for instance)
Just to randomly interject here, we found out yesterdayish in the Discord that on Pixel, if you die and get revived after Discord, those levels come back. So this fight is maaaaarginally less bad! Marginally.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Just to randomly interject here, we found out yesterdayish in the Discord that on Pixel, if you die and get revived after Discord, those levels come back. So this fight is maaaaarginally less bad! Marginally.

That's a really cool discovery! Getting hit with Discord on SNES/GBA just irreversibly benches a lot of physical jobs for the fight, and for job combos that have an extremely hard time on Byblos, a way around that is huge.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

At least your suffering helps me make the decision to run 2 Geomancers and my knight with Gaia easier. Frickin Berserker though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Does that work with Old too?

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

ultrafilter posted:

Does that work with Old too?

It appears so!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
So one neat thing I learned, at least in the GBA version; Kick doesn't cure Confuse. Wonder if that works for Sleep as well..

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

girl dick energy posted:

I just got an unexpected windfall, so here's another :toxx: I've been considering.

There Are Even Twelve Of Them: $2 for every run that gets all the tablets and, thus, all the Legendary Weapons. Screenshot of your inventory is fine for verification. Max number of runs I'll be accepting TBD, but I'm thinking $24. (Twelve of them!)

(Friendly reminder that you don't need to beat Leviathan, you can just leave after grabbing the tablet! :ssh:)

DalaranJ posted:

:toxx: Summoner or No Summoner
$4 for every run that has summoner and has only required summons on their spell list (Usually Ifrit and Titan, although it's possible Titan is a crystal in some versions?)
$4 for every run that does not have Summoner and has all summons on their spell list
Cap $100, fifth job and void need not apply

Nemo2342 posted:

:toxx:

Are You Sure You're Using That Thing Correctly?: $1 per run (up to $25) for anyone who takes a picture of themselves attacking Omega with a class that's wielding a completely inappropriate weapon.

This is for charity so you don't actually have to KILL Omega like this, I just want to see Chemists wielding axes smacking the big dumb robot.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

blakelmenakle posted:

It appears so!

Interesting. What about level boosts from songs or mixes?

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
It seems the newest update of Pixel Remaster patched the Infinite Chicken Knife glitch. I quicksaved in the maze, reset and it didn't let me get a second.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

This team fuckin sucked.

Still a triple crown.

DalaranJ posted:

$4 for every run that has summoner and has only required summons on their spell list (Usually Ifrit and Titan, although it's possible Titan is a crystal in some versions?)
$4 for every run that does not have Summoner and has all summons on their spell list

Phoenix Tower was the most annoying part because !flee doesn't work there for reasons no one will tell me.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

We need a name toxx so here goes y'all:

$2 for each Butz named Sanger (founder of PP) on up to $100. Names also acceptable: services PP provides so mamo, pap, BC, choice, etc.

More PP:

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

ultrafilter posted:

Interesting. What about level boosts from songs or mixes?

Mixes go away on death sadly.

Songs are just weird. The effects of songs persist through death, but using ANY of the stat boosting songs will block other level changing effects (things like Dark Spark and Mixes appear to go off, but the character's level doesn't change at all). Any Mixes or Dark Spark used before the songs started still persist (and are no longer removed by death!), but no new ones take effect. Old also interacts with this, it'll reduce the stats like normal, however once cured (either through Esuna or death), the stat drops persist like in other versions (they'll reset in PR if songs aren't used).

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

Party is WHM/MYS/GEO/DRG:

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007

zzMisc posted:

Too late now, but I think if you were willing to farm up the 200 AP you could've had the Bard !Lance him?

I tried this first thinking it might work, and it's actually surprisingly terrible due to a combination of things:

It counts for react:physical even though it's fully magic damage, so he still counters with Armor and Drain
Byblos has high magic defense so even the Bard wasn't doing more damage than Drain recovered
It counts as hitting twice due to the MP drain, so Byblos actually gets TWO Drain counters.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I rolled Thief first and decided to give the no-spending-money toxx a shot, and now I'm at the end of World 1 with Thief/Berserker/Freelancer/Time Mage. Thief has been pretty crucial; a big portion of my playtime so far has been farming Hi Potions from the Fire Ship. With enough Hi Potions and the Berserker steadfastly axing away each boss has been pretty doable as a war of attrition. I'm honestly not sure how I made it past Byblos because it seemed like he was drain-healing more damage than I was doing, but apparently not! I was level 21 in the library by virtue of my first round of Hi Potion farming. I have basically no AOE capabilities whatsoever, so Purobolos was a pain in the rear end solved by just letting them all explode in my face and healing up the damage (since Galuf's gone for that fight I was able to drop the Berserker so it didn't gently caress everything up).

Time isn't going to be doing much, although it looks like I can get Float for free maybe, which is something. Meteor would be nice but I don't love the thought of trudging through Forked Tower like this. It's not the best mage class for stat boosts but at least it's something for Rune Axing maybe. Freelancer is providing surprising utility by being able to equip elemental weapons.

I don't really know how to prove I'm doing this other than recording the whole run (which I am not doing), but it's been an interesting challenge so far.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ultrafilter posted:

Final attacks are implemented as counters, and you can't counter a counter. That gives you options for a few bosses, but Titan is probably where it's most useful.

The other one where it's most useful is Archeoaevis, when you bring it to 0 HP it revives itself as a counter and the second part of the fight happens. If it hits 0 HP from Counter though, it just dies and you skip the second part of the fight.

I know this because DD spent an unreasonable amount of time one year trying to counter defeat Archeoaevis.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
I haven't seen it covered before from my brief readthrough of the threads, so figured to ask.

For the times when you don't have a full party, is there any etiquette or expectations for what Jobs to use? What I'm thinking of is...

1. When Galuf breaks into ExDeath's castle to free the rest of the party

2. When Butz and Krile leave Lenna and Faris behind at Castle Tycoon.

3. When you go to the Pyramid of Moore for the first time without Lenna.

I'm doing a regular 375 run fwiw.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 15, 2022

theshim
May 1, 2012

Libertad! posted:

I haven't seen it covered before from my brief readthrough of the threads, so figured to ask.

For the times when you don't have a full party, is there any etiquette or expectations for what Jobs to use? What I'm thinking of is...

1. When Galu breaks into ExDeath's castle to free the rest of the party

You choose which of your available jobs to use during those parts.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Libertad! posted:

1) Any of the four you have.

2) Any two you have.

3) Any three you have.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Libertad! posted:

1. When Galuf breaks into ExDeath's castle to free the rest of the party

Whichever ones you want just no repeats.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Libertad! posted:

I've always treated it as freedom to use your 1-3 best jobs for the situation, since you're dealing with the handicap of being undermanned. The alternative sounds annoying to litigate, impossible to enforce, and basically pointlessly complicated for no real gain. Some people do limit themselves based on what jobs the absent party members are locked into, but it's a "because I find it fun" thing, not a "mandatory for a real Fiesta run" thing.

e:f;beaten like a rented Chocobo.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

theshim posted:

You choose which of your available jobs to use during those parts.

Mustached Demon posted:

Whichever ones you want just no repeats.

Hellioning posted:

1) Any of the four you have.

2) Any two you have.

3) Any three you have.

Thank you all for your answers! :)

Edit: missed this one. Good answer too, I'm not a stickler for artificial challenges in this case.

girl dick energy posted:

I've always treated it as freedom to use your 1-3 best jobs for the situation, since you're dealing with the handicap of being undermanned. The alternative sounds annoying to litigate, impossible to enforce, and basically pointlessly complicated for no real gain. Some people do limit themselves based on what jobs the absent party members are locked into, but it's a "because I find it fun" thing, not a "mandatory for a real Fiesta run" thing.

e:f;beaten like a rented Chocobo.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 15, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Twelve by Pies posted:

The other one where it's most useful is Archeoaevis, when you bring it to 0 HP it revives itself as a counter and the second part of the fight happens. If it hits 0 HP from Counter though, it just dies and you skip the second part of the fight.

I know this because DD spent an unreasonable amount of time one year trying to counter defeat Archeoaevis.

I missed it, but DD actually came second this year, didn't he? The guy's a pretty good runner when he isn't trying to do something "clever". But we love him for it.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Bruceski posted:

I missed it, but DD actually came second this year, didn't he? The guy's a pretty good runner when he isn't trying to do something "clever". But we love him for it.

They won, actually, though it took a Yaga wipe to NED for them to catch up

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ace Transmuter posted:

He won, actually, though it took a Yaga wipe to NED for him to catch up

Nice, he was still in second last time I got an update.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
DD is a legit good runner now, he rarely tries ridiculous strategies and also it seems like he did a lot of prep work this year behind the scenes (I thought he didn't do any practice runs since he didn't stream them, but he said he wrote down a lot of extensive notes). He'll occasionally do something dumb but all the runners have those moments, like when Bowie (or was it Yaga, I forget) accidentally released a Doom monster on a Zombie Dragon and nearly suffered a full party wipe because of it. And Yaga and Bowie also entered the library at level 10 and ate a ton of Level 5 Death wipes.

So yeah good on the guy, it's still fun to remember incredibly dumb poo poo like running the numbers though.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

CourtlyHades296 posted:

It seems the newest update of Pixel Remaster patched the Infinite Chicken Knife glitch. I quicksaved in the maze, reset and it didn't let me get a second.
I did this yesterday, so you must have done something wrong. The point at which you want to quick save is when you reach the clearing where you have to choose between the Chicken Knife or the Brave Blade, then return to title and load your quicksave, this will make it appear you're no longer in the clearing, but you're still in the same spot, so press right and grab your Chicken Knife, then go up a tile and down a tile and pick up your second Chicken Knife normally. You can't get more than two.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Actually, y'know what, one more. Planned Parenthood is a good cause, anyway.

:toxx: $100 to the first player to finish off NED with Bearaga.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
First run of the year done. A pure chaos risk that rolled Zerk Zerk Mime Mystic. Not much to say, just a lot of everyone beserk and a little of a clear head. Zerk do what zerk do. Mime was worse freelancer but hey they can break rods so whatev. Mystic knight didnt actually use spellblade much but when it did it was rather good. Thankfully I was using the patch that unlocks all jobs from the start or id have to cheat past Sandworm and SolCannon.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Monk with Equip Axes, now that Kick is apparently using sword attack formula if a weapon is held, is hilarious. Especially when a miniboss attacks them first and they casually counter with Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
Just finished my first run on Pixel Remaster with the 375 team Knight/Red Mage/Beastmaster/Dancer.

nrook posted:

Life's Too Short

I will donate $5 for every run that doesn't use Reflect Rings randomly dropped by or stolen from enemies. It's okay to use the guaranteed drop from Leviathan and the ring found in Istory Falls. I'll donate an additional $5 if you do this and beat Exdeath in World 2 at or under level 25, on all characters.

Even though I got two random drops, they weren't intended and I sold them for the Gil.