Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Oracle posted:

Excuse it? No, feel free to condemn her nutty rear end from the rooftops. Declare it a smoking gun of proof that’s she’s using all her husbands clout for masterminding a coup? Yeah, not so much.
(It’s not a mass mailing service, it’s one of those public free to use websites that aggregates pol email addresses any schmuck can use to contact their elected representatives)

Oh, for the love of God.

The issue isn't that Ginni Thomas used a mass-email/public pol aggregation service.

The issue is that she, the wife of a US Supreme Court Justice, used that service to send a "Hey it suuuuuure would be nice if you'd step up and lead, so maybe something could be done about this issue of Biden winning the election! Yep! Sure would be nice if someone would do something about this!" While it might not be 'masterminding a coup' ( whatever the gently caress that means ), it sure as hell is more than dipping your toe into the water.

She is a political operative of the nuttiest loving persuasion, trading on her husband's name for influence, doing so absolutely brazenly, and she did it to influence elected state officials to alter the result of a state election. That being the case, it's not a loving stretch to think that she leaked Alito's Roe draft to either a) galvanize grassroots supporters, b) put pressure on potential squishy votes ( Judge :kav: or possibly Gorsuch ) or c) both. Did she do it? We'll probably never know, most likely, because no-one's gonna subpoena her phone or mail-records, but given what she's gotten up to already, it's well within the realm of plausibility - and the likely - that she's the leak.

Because she's an explicit political operative, you see.

[e: shameful snipe edit.]

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

TLM3101 posted:

Oh, for the love of God.

The issue isn't that Ginni Thomas used a mass-email/public pol aggregation service.

She is a political operative of the nuttiest loving persuasion, trading on her husband's name for influence, doing so absolutely brazenly and she did it to influence elected state officials to alter the result of a state election.

If you are trying to trade on your husbands name for influence you do not avail yourself of a Joe Scmuck level of generic anonymous absolutely lacking in any proof you are who you say you are website to try and influence said politicians. You send them a letter on official letterhead with your name and husbands name on it, your home address as return, and other blatantly obvious proof you are the VIP you claim to be so that that clout cannot be misinterpreted. More realistically, you contact your sources in the party, get said pols personal cellphone numbers, and call them directly from you DC area code number to try and influence them directly because that can’t be FOIA’d like written correspondence.

quote:

That being the case, it's not a loving stretch to think that she leaked Alito's Roe draft to either a) galvanize grassroots supporters, b) put pressure on potential squishy votes ( Judge :kav: or possibly Gorsuch ) or c) both. Did she do it? We'll probably never know, most likely, because no-one's gonna subpoena her phone or mail-records, but given what she's gotten up to already, it's well within the realm of plausibility - and the likely - that she's the leak.

Because she's an explicit political operative, you see.

[e: shameful snipe edit.]
She is an explicit political operative, which is why this little league bullshit email attempt is pathetic as an attempt to influence an election for dog catcher much less president. If she’s that big of a complete idiot (which hey, she did willingly marry Clarence Thomas) then I don’t know that she could have successfully done it without it being known almost immediately.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Oracle posted:

She is an explicit political operative, which is why this little league bullshit email attempt is pathetic as an attempt to influence an election for dog catcher much less president. If she’s that big of a complete idiot (which hey, she did willingly marry Clarence Thomas) then I don’t know that she could have successfully done it without it being known almost immediately.

Logic points to Alexander Ward (https://twitter.com/alexbward) being the reporter who recieved the draft. Why? He shares the byline for the exclusive Politico report but is a "national security reporter". Now looking at his twitter and bio (worked previously for Vox as White House correspondend for the first few month of the Biden admin) he doesn't look like the type of reporter that would be approached by Ginni Thomas or any hardcore Trumpist really.

Not saying this is proof or anything, but my working hypothesis is that a liberal clerk leaked the oppinion to someone he knew and not that Ginni Thomas leaked it as part of her greater scheme to topple the US government.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Oracle posted:

If you are trying to trade on your husbands name for influence you do not avail yourself of a Joe Scmuck level of generic anonymous absolutely lacking in any proof you are who you say you are website to try and influence said politicians. You send them a letter on official letterhead with your name and husbands name on it, your home address as return, and other blatantly obvious proof you are the VIP you claim to be so that that clout cannot be misinterpreted. More realistically, you contact your sources in the party, get said pols personal cellphone numbers, and call them directly from you DC area code number to try and influence them directly because that can’t be FOIA’d like written correspondence.

Ginni Thomas has been accused of many things. Being smart or good with technology is not one of them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Filling out a form letter is *probably* not the only lobbying Ginni Thomas has ever done.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

is the news correct in saying that this opinion, Egbert vs Boule, exempts border agents from any claims of violation of constitutional rights within 100 miles of the border, where ~2/3 of America's population lives?

https://upnorthlive.com/news/nation-world/cbp-can-make-warrantless-arrests-at-homes-less-than-100-miles-from-border-sc-says

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/us-supreme-court-insulates-federal-agents-accountability-2022-06-10/

Seems...not great.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Absent new legislation creating such cause.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Oh no, cops are getting de jure immunity for their misdeeds rather than the usual de facto immunity, nooo...

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A spouse of a SCOTUS justice going full ham on the Big Lie is a huge drat problem. Have we already forgotten every other indiscretion plus the reins she holds in the DC lobbying industry, this specific instance of HER EMAILS aside?

GaussianCopula posted:

"she actively was part of a shadow cabal trying to coup the US government" is quite a leap.

Dude, it's not a shadow cabal. These people hoot and holler in celebration before mass broadcast audiences every time one of their Big Lie candidates makes it on to a Board of Canvassers or a Secretary of State office

Cripes, we just watched a bunch of PB pile into a U-Haul with warfighting dress and equipment with the express purpose of breaking up and possibly Rittenhousing a bunch of innocent civilians. There's nothing shadow or cabal about the extreme right in America.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 13, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ginni Thomas has been a problem for at least a decade, back to when she was running a lot of the anti-Obamacare groups for the GOP and the Supreme Court was taking up that case as to whether Obamacare was constitutional or not

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

It can't be stated enough how out in the open this is when the one dissent in providing documents to an inquisitorial body is the spouse of the person who just somehow keeps being revealed to have been more and more active in what's being investigated.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

At least four decisions today. One of them involves Neil Gorsuch being very rightfully mad about the treatment of native americans.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

At least four decisions today. One of them involves Neil Gorsuch being very rightfully mad about the treatment of native americans.
Is that the double jeopardy one

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yep.

(And at least 5, now.)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah. From the gist of it, an administrative proceeding with racist as gently caress origins substitutes as federal prosecution by incorporating tribal law into certain regulatory charges against someone. Dude was charged with everything under this scheme, some of the charges dropped, and he pleaded to the reduced charge. This is a federal process with federal prosecutors. The prosecutors didn't like that the regulatory charges were dropped, and charged him with federal laws comparable to the charges previously dismissed prior to his plea deal.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

hosed up he was angry in the dissent and not the majority. Breyer was in the majority!

Yes it’s dual sovereign doctrine treating the tribe as a “state” but if it’s the feds in both cases that should void it.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 13, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hobbesmaster posted:

hosed up he was angry in the dissent and not the majority. Breyer was in the majority!

Yes it’s dual sovereign doctrine treating the tribe as a “state” but if it’s the feds in both cases that should void it.

Yeah, it's a bullshit opinion, and it's really lovely that his is a dissent. This is Neil's broken clock area of law, and his dissent lays out clearly how hosed the situation is.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
A lovely ruling regarding Native Americans? It must be a day ending in Y.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, it's a bullshit opinion, and it's really lovely that his is a dissent. This is Neil's broken clock area of law, and his dissent lays out clearly how hosed the situation is.

If we expand the court, we could just find a whole bunch of judges that are broken clocks about one thing or another, that way we'd have all the bases covered.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’d rather have judges that are generally good across the board rather than horrible and occasionally correct.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Too bad

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GaussianCopula posted:

And going from "she put her name on a form to send pre-written emails to representatives" to "she actively was part of a shadow cabal trying to coup the US government" is quite a leap.

A very funny thing to say when her husband was already party to stealing a presidential election.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

GaussianCopula posted:

And going from "she put her name on a form to send pre-written emails to representatives" to "she actively was part of a shadow cabal trying to coup the US government" is quite a leap.

I'm sorry you must be unfamiliar with who Ginni Thomas is, because otherwise this line is either incredibly ignorant or absolutely bizarre. Look her up, you might be surprised!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

I'm sorry you must be unfamiliar with who Ginni Thomas is, because otherwise this line is either incredibly ignorant or absolutely bizarre. Look her up, you might be surprised!

I'm going to go with the guy who has an extensive rap sheet for right wing and racist stuff doesn't care about people like Ginni and Clarence Thomas being openly corrupt when it comes to pushing their party's goals because they agree with it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm going to go with the guy who has an extensive rap sheet for right wing and racist stuff doesn't care about people like Ginni and Clarence Thomas being openly corrupt when it comes to pushing their party's goals because they agree with it.

This is the type of honest and credulous engagement moderation wants.

How am I supposed to know what this person who frequently makes up poo poo to push right wing narratives wants in their heart of hearts?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Another day, another Gorsuch decision siding with Native tribes

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1537077972611608577?s=21&t=fuFFJOGz8NU1ouH1XKQZ3A

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/abortion-ruling-nears-us-supreme-court-erects-barricades-public-2022-06-17/

Do they usually do this, or only when they expect to make a particularly lovely ruling?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

No.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Setting up a castle defense around a bastion of the minority party rule in anticipation of going against the will of the majority of the country is definitely not normal.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

To be clear, this is reporting about the stuff that was placed after the leak, not new stuff that is going up

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure that's not the first time I've seen the SC barricaded before

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's a joke that they can do that.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
One of the fences went up a few days prior to the leak, after a man self-immolated on the steps of the Supreme Court to protest inaction on the climate crisis.

https://www.wusa9.com/amp/article/n...5d-2623bff6e926

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1539254801451606016

Quoting some more of that thread:

quote:

Carson v. Makin is a major decision with huge consequences for state funding of religion. The conservative majority holds that the First Amendment requires Maine's taxpayers to fund explicitly religious education. That is a breathtakingly radical holding.

Sotomayor, dissenting: "This Court continues to dismantle the wall of separation between church and state that the Framers fought to build. ... The consequences of the Court’s rapid transformation of the Religion Clauses must not be understated."

Here is Breyer asking the next logical question: Does this ruling mean that states must provide equal funding to private religious schools and public schools? Taken at face value, Roberts' decision has the potential to dismantle secular public education.

And here's Sotomayor spelling out the implications of today's ruling: A state's effort to preserve the constitutional separation of church and state now qualifies as a violation of free exercise. The majority is repealing the establishment clause.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah they’re just going for it now I guess

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

What in the actual gently caress. How do they justify this? This is just patent pulling out of their rear end bullshit. You want to talk about activist judges and legislating from the bench? Why are we even following the Constitution anymore? Its dead, and the Roberts court just killed it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I haven't looked into the details, but if the state gives vouchers for public or private schools, excluding religious schools that would otherwise be eligible seems like an obvious free exercise violation. They are specifically denying otherwise available funding based solely on a religious test. A state offering vouchers that only applied to religious schools would violate the establishment clause. A state offering vouchers that only denies religious schools violates free exercise.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 21, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oracle posted:

What in the actual gently caress. How do they justify this?

There are six of them

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
If I create a church of pedestrian safety, does that mean my state has to fund my religious bicycle paths at the same level as secular highways? Signs point to yes these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ilkhan posted:

I haven't looked into the details, but if the state gives vouchers for public or private schools, excluding religious schools that would otherwise be eligible seems like an obvious free exercise violation. They are specifically denying otherwise available funding based solely on a religious test.

Based on a what test? The *cleans out ear with pinky finger* what test?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)