Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

CloFan posted:

sell me your m12 inflator so that you can upgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I have the m12 and the dewalt 20v. Because of reasons. And the dewalt 20v is significantly better, I think. I assume with the 18v milwaukee it'll now just be a question of which ecosystem you're already bought into.

Anyone have a preferred supplier for wire? I want to rewire the speakers in my van and then run some wire to the back before I put up walls.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I left my Makita 18v drill/driver combo in Seattle, and I realized I need an impact driver for the next month while I'm still in New York. What's more bang for the buck, a Makita 12v or Milwaukee 12v driver?

Alternatively, if I wanted to get a battery powered tire inflator, should I just get that, one of the little black Makita 18v drivers, and a new 18v battery? (assuming I still have a Makita 18v charger in NYC)

builds character posted:

Anyone have a preferred supplier for wire? I want to rewire the speakers in my van and then run some wire to the back before I put up walls.

Kastein always seems to recommend https://www.waytekwire.com/, I think. I generally trust him to know what he's doing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I can't speak to Makita's 12v impact driver but I can say that Milwaukee's M12 Fuel impact driver is fantastic and that if I hadn't already bought in to the DeWalt 12v infrastructure by the time I found them I might have gone with Milwaukee.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Does anyone have experience ordering from McMaster Carr in Canada? I placed an order that was cancelled because they apparently only ship to Canada for schools and companies.

I'm wondering if just putting in a fake company name and purchase number will be good enough or if I'll have to bug someone I know with a company.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Dunno about the Canada part, but they will perfectly happily ship to me in the US with my made up company name, so I'd assume they don't care about Canada company names either. Just make sure it won't raise a red flag at customs if you're importing things and the company they'd charge import duties to (???) Doesn't actually exist.

Safety Dance posted:

Kastein always seems to recommend https://www.waytekwire.com/, I think. I generally trust him to know what he's doing.

I have never bought wire from them, ironically. Only everything else for wiring. So I can't tell you whether they have good wire at waytek wire.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

kastein posted:

I have never bought wire from them, ironically. Only everything else for wiring. So I can't tell you whether they have good wire at waytek wire.

I have bought TXL, GXL, and Battery cable from them - Quality has been fantastic. I would rank them as an OEM/Top Tier supplier, as they are commonly used by manufactures and aftermarket in the automotive world (Radium uses them for fuel system wiring as an example). I was actually surprised I was able to order without a business/membership when I first started using them for projects years ago.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

I left my Makita 18v drill/driver combo in Seattle, and I realized I need an impact driver for the next month while I'm still in New York. What's more bang for the buck, a Makita 12v or Milwaukee 12v driver?

Alternatively, if I wanted to get a battery powered tire inflator, should I just get that, one of the little black Makita 18v drivers, and a new 18v battery? (assuming I still have a Makita 18v charger in NYC)

The black Makita are my go to. There are a ton of fathers day sales starting, keep your eyes out for a good deal.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I've had good luck with ebay wire for my machine tools etc from https://www.ebay.com/usr/acdcwireandsupply

I tend to get high strand count stuff when I can as its MUCH nicer to work with and I use ferrules on everything. For Waytek, much like Kastein I've only ever bought terminals/connectors/heatshrink etc from them.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Safety Dance posted:

Thanks!

You can borrow one of my impact wrenches if that’s what you need. I have a drill too.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

builds character posted:

Thanks!

You can borrow one of my impact wrenches if that’s what you need. I have a drill too.

Do you live in NYC? Can I use your driveway for some light automotive work?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Safety Dance posted:

you can hang out near his van and do guerilla repairs in the street

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Safety Dance posted:

Yes, and...

echomadman posted:

you can hang out near his van and do guerilla repairs in the street

exactly this.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

builds character posted:

Yes, and...

exactly this.

Let me see what my weekend has in store. I might take you up on this.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

TerminalSaint posted:

Does anyone have experience ordering from McMaster Carr in Canada? I placed an order that was cancelled because they apparently only ship to Canada for schools and companies.

I'm wondering if just putting in a fake company name and purchase number will be good enough or if I'll have to bug someone I know with a company.

For anyone who was curious or might have the same question in the future, I resubmitted with a fake company name and purchase order number after hours on Monday and got my poo poo Wednesday. With their order volume and turnaround I can't imagine they have time to check on every "company" who orders from them. Might be an issue for ordering items with regulatory requirements, but for small stuff it seems fine.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

TerminalSaint posted:

For anyone who was curious or might have the same question in the future, I resubmitted with a fake company name and purchase order number after hours on Monday and got my poo poo Wednesday. With their order volume and turnaround I can't imagine they have time to check on every "company" who orders from them. Might be an issue for ordering items with regulatory requirements, but for small stuff it seems fine.

If you order enough stuff from them under the name "Fake Enterprises inc." or whatever you called yourself, they probably won't even bother to check ever, unless yeah, its some regulatory stuff involved.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Wonder how much stuff they sell to Acme Inc?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I don't know about the US, but here it's usually just about consumer protection laws. They don't care who they sell to, but if they sell to private individuals then consumer protection laws apply and that's something they don't care for (warranties and other poo poo). If you claim to be a company or self employed, they are more than happy to sell to you. Because if you were to then ask for consumer protection in court they can say gently caress off and all is good.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

If anyone's in, or thinking of getting in, to the Ryobi ecosystem, there's a good deal on 3 batteries, charger, and your choice of HP brushless tool for $199:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-O...UkD2sLVAEQx0z40

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

meatpimp posted:

If anyone's in, or thinking of getting in, to the Ryobi ecosystem, there's a good deal on 3 batteries, charger, and your choice of HP brushless tool for $199:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-O...UkD2sLVAEQx0z40

I don't know how it is for anyone else but when I look at this deal on their website they don't show any of the battery combos available to order and the free tools as "sold out" but I was just at a local HD Sunday and there were at least a dozen battery combos along with a variety of tools available. If you want this deal you may want to visit in person or call if interested.

I almost impulse purchased this deal with a cordless angle grinder even though I've been mostly switching away from Ryobi to Makita but everything was tied together with security devices and I really didn't feel like trolling the store to find someone who could unlock them for me. Hope those annoying things are cutting down on theft because they definitely cut down on sales, I groan every time I see the item I'm there for locked up in them knowing I've got anywhere from a 5-30min ordeal ahead of me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Elem7 posted:

I don't know how it is for anyone else but when I look at this deal on their website they don't show any of the battery combos available to order and the free tools as "sold out" but I was just at a local HD Sunday and there were at least a dozen battery combos along with a variety of tools available. If you want this deal you may want to visit in person or call if interested.

I almost impulse purchased this deal with a cordless angle grinder even though I've been mostly switching away from Ryobi to Makita but everything was tied together with security devices and I really didn't feel like trolling the store to find someone who could unlock them for me. Hope those annoying things are cutting down on theft because they definitely cut down on sales, I groan every time I see the item I'm there for locked up in them knowing I've got anywhere from a 5-30min ordeal ahead of me.

Yep, looks like it's broken online now. I tried mobile and desktop devices and where I was getting about a dozen HP tools to pick from, now it doesn't give you the option to pick a tool, even though it still says "free hp brushless tool" in the product image. Weird. Sorry.

Edit: Weird again, it's working for me now. I've got a list of available HP Brushless tools with the purchase. So keep trying, I guess..

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 9, 2022

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Old and busted verses new hotness. I think the old steel jack is actually the same design before they introduced the Daytona line.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The difference between my old grey low profile at home and the new regular 3 ton Daytona I have at work is astonishing. Just dragging the Daytona around makes it immediately apparent how much nicer it is.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’ve got a grey one, and it’s pretty shabby too. They have a coupon for the Daytona right now though. Hmm.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

nitsuga posted:

I’ve got a grey one, and it’s pretty shabby too. They have a coupon for the Daytona right now though. Hmm.

I went to HF and was completely overwhelmed. They have so many models now. Pittsburgh, Daytona, steel, aluminum, long reach, low profile, anywhere from 1 ton to 8. I had to spend 20 minutes assessing whether or not I wanted a 3 ton steel or 2 ton aluminum so I can stick it in the trunk when I go racing. Obviously the steel won out, the tiebreaker ended up being maximum lift height.

I think the jack on sale is not a low profile which I absolutely need. Also comes with a year of inside track which was extremely appealing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

um excuse me posted:

Old and busted verses new hotness. I think the old steel jack is actually the same design before they introduced the Daytona line.

I think that's the one I recently got and am super happy with it (it fits under my BMW and it lifts high enough to get my mom's SUV off the ground) except that i have to pick it up for storage and it's heavier than I expect.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Time to order brake line tools - I put all the Eastwood stuff together and their “Free Shipping!” estimate was $122. That puts me squarely into hydraulic tool territory.

I’m seriously considering this Mastercool for $331: https://www.mastercool.com/product/72475-universal-hydraulic-flaring-tool-set/

Any suggestions for a good deburring tool for 3/16” cupronickel brake line?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm a cheap rear end and only do brake lines every few years so I carefully use the tip of my utility knife.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Advent Horizon posted:

Time to order brake line tools - I put all the Eastwood stuff together and their “Free Shipping!” estimate was $122. That puts me squarely into hydraulic tool territory.

I’m seriously considering this Mastercool for $331: https://www.mastercool.com/product/72475-universal-hydraulic-flaring-tool-set/

Noga or Shaviv make the best deburring tools. They make tiny ones that will do the ID, and plenty of tube OD tools.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a decent alternative to the insanely priced Deutsch crimpers? I just need to crimp a few dtm06-4s, good lord

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there a decent alternative to the insanely priced Deutsch crimpers? I just need to crimp a few dtm06-4s, good lord

Idk about that particular connector but you can often find knockoffs of expensive crumpets on eBay or aliexpress

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

BlackMK4 posted:

Are you using the solid or the stamped deutsch terminals? If you have the stamped ones, any double-barrel style crimper will do a good job on them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wanted to use the solid ones, but I guess I will give up and buy the poo poo stamped ones given crimper prices. That is irritating :lol:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BlackMK4 posted:

I wanted to use the solid ones, but I guess I will give up and buy the poo poo stamped ones given crimper prices. That is irritating :lol:

an aliexpress crimper, or other knockoff, is probably good enough. sometimes there are AF8's on ebay for a reasonable amount, but there don't seem to be at the moment :(

you dont reeeeally need the positioner if you're just doing a few and can be careful. that could save some money for the time being

jrdtools has fairly inexpensive "equivalents" to the dmc stuff, but i have no idea how the quality compares

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I have /my brother has a few different Daniels closed barrel crimpers. My boss asked me what I'd recommend for doing a few closed barrel deutsch connectors and balked at trolling EBAY for some potentially out of spec units for $$$. He bought one of these https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Crimper-Impression-Deutsch-Contacts/dp/B07V1C6N2V and seemed to have good luck. I'd suggest a pull test after using it, or run max current through it and see if it gets too hot.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Commodore_64 posted:

I have /my brother has a few different Daniels closed barrel crimpers. My boss asked me what I'd recommend for doing a few closed barrel deutsch connectors and balked at trolling EBAY for some potentially out of spec units for $$$. He bought one of these https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Crimper-Impression-Deutsch-Contacts/dp/B07V1C6N2V and seemed to have good luck. I'd suggest a pull test after using it, or run max current through it and see if it gets too hot.

FWIW I have a couple different IWISS crimpers and they've been great.

Advent Horizon posted:

Absolutely get it. It's sometimes a little clunky in tight areas but it's as good as it gets for any time you can't otherwise bring the brake line to the tool.

Also,
https://www.amazon.com/Noga-NG1200-Ng1200-Rotodrive-Countersink/dp/B002K075GU
Single flute makes it super clean, and it'll do 1-11mm

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Anyone have recommendations on entry level 4 post lifts? I am over crawling around on my back to do everything and want to be able to store more cars in the garage/have more space to work in.

Got a quote on an Atlas 8000Pro for $4700 delivered and installed after tax. With AZ sales tax it comes in at about $4000 so delivery and install is $700 which seems reasonable.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I went with Direct Lift - a subsidiary of Dover corp, who also makes Rotary Lifts. At the time, it was $2400 for a 9k Pro Park (wide/taller) lift picked up from the local service supply company. I have no reference for todays market. $700 does seem fair.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 16, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Just pulling this out of my rear end, but I don't know you, or where you live, etc. etc etc, but whats your garage floor like?

I know this is anecdotal experience from me, but I've seen some service garages where they had to cut out a square or four to mount a lift, if the concrete was in lovely condition, like cracks, pitting and the like. I guess its like adding a footing below the floor if the concrete is lovely.

Probably not something that would add a significant amount to the total price, but maybe something that could add to the hassle.

I'm not discouraging you as I want to live vicariously through your 4 :v: posts about working on poo poo with your personal hoist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

House is only a year old and the concrete is 6” standard rebar reinforced rather than prestressed/pretensioned concrete. Main issue will be clearing it out so it can be installed. Model I am looking at comes with wheels to move it around and doesn’t require to be bolted down.