Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm okay with the castle miniatures for Castles of Burgundy, but who wants a hundred bucks worth of 3d hex tiles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Echophonic posted:

I'm okay with the castle miniatures for Castles of Burgundy, but who wants a hundred bucks worth of 3d hex tiles?

Yeah, real dumb, but I expected it honestly.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hell yeah, 2 new iDventure cluebox puzzle boxes

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/idventure-games/cluebox-escape-room-in-a-box-clash-of-magic-and-science

https://i.imgur.com/pVXGKuL.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Xz3CLRR.mp4

I have all of their 3 previous boxes and I've enjoyed them all.

The 3 previous ones:

Captain Nemo's Nautilus

Davy Jones' Locker

Schrödinger's Cat

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I bet the Antikythera Mechanism was actually just one of these things.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Nice fuckin' try, Cenobites.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I have solved 3 of their puzzle boxes and I have yet to be visited by bdsm angel-demons wishing to show me such sights they have so you'll probably be fine.

Kinda surprised iDventure hasn't done a serial-numbers-removed Lament Configuration box though.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Trivia Time: Clive Barker's original title for Hellraiser was "Sadomasochists From Beyond The Grave"

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

Trivia Time: Clive Barker's original title for Hellraiser was "Sadomasochists From Beyond The Grave"

The Hellbound Heart was a big step up!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's funny if you read The Hellbound Heart itself that the Cenobites when they show up are absolutely so just going through the motions that one might imagine Pinhead playing Angry Birds on his phone going "Uh huh, never-ending pleasure indistinguishable from pain. You sure? Okay, let's roll."

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
https://twitter.com/PatrickLeder/status/1536418193455075335
https://twitter.com/PatrickLeder/status/1536420267098091522

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The funnier stat is that only like 5% of pledges went for the single game and everyone clearly wants the full campaign mode.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

The funnier stat is that only like 5% of pledges went for the single game and everyone clearly wants the full campaign mode.

I felt like that was a foregone conclusion.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I don't get the idea that there's a lot of people are excited enough to back a game, but not get all the gameplay stuff. I mean, obviously cost is a factor, but it's already a luxury purchase. Like, maybe I don't need a hardback with a nice slipcase or a foil embossed box all the time, bit I still want the whole drat game.

It's how the stupid IDW games got me, I wanted all the TMNT and Batman characters is could get.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

I felt like that was a foregone conclusion.

Yes but Patrick clearly pressured Cole to make it and forced him to stop working on the full game a month before the KS launch and put a lot of critical design time into the one off game. This was a bad gamble that added to some poor messaging about Arcs and what it was and was trying to be.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Cole has said in some of the interviews that the majority of focus has always been on the core single game, not the campaign, so I don't think that was the case. Leder games prefer to make Kickstarters early in the design process, we are just used to Kickstarters being used a promotional and preorder tool instead of a crowd funding tool these days.

I'm just glad the minis are an optional add on because I much prefer the wood and can save an extra $50.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Cole has said in some of the interviews that the majority of focus has always been on the core single game, not the campaign.

You have that backwards. His designer diary details how he spent the month before the KS reworking the game and pulling stuff out for the one-off game to be a reasonable alternative for commercial and approachability purposes.

quote:

The game was designed initially as primarily a campaign game, and I didn’t want to present it without that mode. However, over the past several months we have decided to split the game into essentially two product lines.

At this point, we had only a couple months before the launch of the Kickstarter. I had fully planned on having all of the campaign material available for all of our previewers and for backers from day 1. However, I had now spent a critical month building out single-session game, and there wasn’t a lot of time left. To put it bluntly, I was pretty badly overworked and exhausted. Under normal circumstances, I would have asked for us to delay the Kickstarter a few months so that I could get everything back up to speed, but that wasn’t going to be an option. There were simply too many things already too far in progress, and I knew we needed to keep to our initial schedule if at all possible.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Huh, I could swear I've seen him say the exact opposite. I'm at work so can't go digging at the moment but that is certainly interesting.

The stream of the single game definitely looks way less interesting than the campaign games. I think the core trick taking mechanic looks great but it's the emergent asymmetry that I find most intriguing and that is really in the single game arcs.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

:sickos: It's saying "Move to Gamefound" :sickos:

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
If you put in $1 for backerkit access when do you actually need to decide if you'll back fully. Close to when the game is nearly finished. Arcs is listed as shipping Dec 2023 and I'm wondering if I throw in $1 then when will I have to decide if I finally buy it or not. Summer next year?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Apocron posted:

If you put in $1 for backerkit access when do you actually need to decide if you'll back fully. Close to when the game is nearly finished. Arcs is listed as shipping Dec 2023 and I'm wondering if I throw in $1 then when will I have to decide if I finally buy it or not. Summer next year?

It's wholly up to the campaign manager. In backerkit you can set soft caps for various deadlines, but even after the soft caps you (as a campaign manager) can still clear an order manually. I have a kickstarter where I have a single customer dragging his feet sending in the pledge, and even though all the other orders have been sent out I can still manually go in and accept his pledge when he finalizes it. But I'm a small fish, a bigger campaign should probably be a little bit strict on the deadlines, especially if they need a final quote for printing etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Apocron posted:

Leder typically lock down final pledges near the end of production, so yeah, you’d have quite a while.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes but Patrick clearly pressured Cole to make it and forced him to stop working on the full game a month before the KS launch and put a lot of critical design time into the one off game. This was a bad gamble that added to some poor messaging about Arcs and what it was and was trying to be.

I'm aware. But I think Patrick's idea was "make a core game we can sell at Target". You don't want to see a watered down version of Arcs at Target, you want to sell the game that was "wildly successful on Kickstarter, and won all these awards!" I think the poor messaging about Arcs is by design. People will hear a lot of gushing about the campaign game Arcs, and that's what the fans of Leder games want, but Patrick can still sell it alongside Ticket to Ride and Codenames as the Root successor in space!

The split wasn't for Kickstarter, never was. The split is for later. Kickstarter fans were always going to get the whole thing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

The split wasn't for Kickstarter, never was. The split is for later. Kickstarter fans were always going to get the whole thing.

If that were the case Cole wouldn’t have dropped work on the campaign mode to get the single game ready in time for the campaign, as he said in the above diary. They shifted their marketing strategy to sending all the early KS preview media folks the single game first. Leder thought a lot of the Oath sentiment (call it backlash even) meant they needed a single game option for the follow up game from the launch and yes, for retail later on.

The confusing messaging was not intentional and caused a lot of negative talk around Arcs because the one off game got a pretty lukewarm reception from the early media folks (mainly Spacebiff) and Cole had to spend a lot of time on Reddit doing damage control about it.

Leder is surprised by the split on the campaign and the number of $1 backers. It’s an uncertain product for many, and the last minute refocus caused most of that. They’re still plenty happy, any 1m + campaign (close to 2 after Backerkit) is a good one for their small team.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

If that were the case Cole wouldn’t have dropped work on the campaign mode to get the single game ready in time for the campaign, as he said in the above diary. They shifted their marketing strategy to sending all the early KS preview media folks the single game first. Leder thought a lot of the Oath sentiment (call it backlash even) meant they needed a single game option for the follow up game from the launch and yes, for retail later on.

The confusing messaging was not intentional and caused a lot of negative talk around Arcs because the one off game got a pretty lukewarm reception from the early media folks (mainly Spacebiff) and Cole had to spend a lot of time on Reddit doing damage control about it.

Leder is surprised by the split on the campaign and the number of $1 backers. It’s an uncertain product for many, and the last minute refocus caused most of that. They’re still plenty happy, any 1m + campaign (close to 2 after Backerkit) is a good one for their small team.

You and I are reading the same things a little differently. I think the split is because the standalone game has to be THE Arcs, and the campaign has to be extra. I agree it was never Cole's intent and he's had to pivot pretty fast.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah my whole point is that Patrick thought that and (potentially) forced it, but it was a bad gamble and he should have just let Cole do his thing, at least until the KS was over.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I did the $1 tier so kickstarter gets less money and the Arcs folks get more once the backerkit is open.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It was a poorly previewed pre-campaign.

Noone knew anything about it until it dropped, and it's going off brand recognition.
Of course people will be hesitant. $1 tier seems just about right for the cooling off period.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Noone knew anything about it until it dropped, and it's going off brand recognition.

That is wrong. We knew tons about it for months. Trick taking sci fi 4x short campaign game and art were all talked about and shown, and many designer diaries were written leading up to the campaign as well. The last minute swerve to pushing the two forms of the game was confusing specifically because of everything we’d heard about it up till then.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Cephalofair has bailed on Kickstarter and is going to run their GH Miniatures campaign straight from Backerkit as part of its new launch. So it won't just be the back end everyone uses for Kickstarter anymore.

https://cephalofair.com/blogs/blog/cephalofair-joins-crowdfunding-by-backerkit

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

dwarf74 posted:

Cephalofair has bailed on Kickstarter and is going to run their GH Miniatures campaign straight from Backerkit as part of its new launch. So it won't just be the back end everyone uses for Kickstarter anymore.

https://cephalofair.com/blogs/blog/cephalofair-joins-crowdfunding-by-backerkit

That's cool that they're bailing on KS. I think we'll see more of the more successful crowdfunding follow-ups move away, but a lot of smaller or first time projects will probably stick with KS for the wider audience and visibility.

I actually really like how Gloomhaven does minis for the heroes and standees for the enemies so this isn't for me at all but I feel like a lot of people would be interested in this.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Radioactive Toy posted:

That's cool that they're bailing on KS. I think we'll see more of the more successful crowdfunding follow-ups move away, but a lot of smaller or first time projects will probably stick with KS for the wider audience and visibility.

https://twitter.com/wehrlegig/status/1536745954098962432?t=0NRORyteVfzrm-0Q7ohi_Q&s=19

There’s definitely a concentrated effort by Backerkit and GF to lure these companies off KS, probably with some sweet incentives for their first campaign or similar.

Competition is great, especially in the face of KS’s stupidity, but as a small creator it is a huge bonus to have such a captive and concentrated audience and I wonder what this all looks like in 5 years for first time creators and independent designers.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Ooh, a new non-Leder Wehrle game? Very curious.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Unless something has changed, Infamous Traffic 2nd ed was next up.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
It'll be funny when I get the Gloomhaven miniatures before I get the Blacklist Fantasy Series ones I intended to proxy in.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

It's loving amazing, all Kickstarter had to do was not use the word "blockchain", and they couldn't do it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Oof, I didn't really think of how much that Gloomhaven minis thing would be.
They list 500+ miniatures. Plus shipping nowadays, that's... gotta be a pretty penny.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

https://gamefound.com/projects/archon-studio/encounters

this just launched on gamefound, terrain sets and some miniatures. looks kinda interesting? and seems like they've done a few projects in the past

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

another big one on Backer

https://www.backerkit.com/call_to_action/438a4598-b3de-417c-b6fb-d4698ef44b68/landing?ref=announcement

quote:

Nature comes alive in the next chapter of Spirit Island.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Whoa this so far has been a who's-who of Trad Games companies that have KS history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kickstarter is pissing themselves right now between Gamefound and now this. Tabletop was by far the biggest category and growth market for them over the last ~7 years.