Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Benagain posted:

I believe that tree is supposed to be in the "up" position, common mistake.

also that sucks!

Have you tried turning the tree off and back on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It took our guy about two hours to pull everything apart, clean and reassemble everything, but the HVAC units have unusually good access, so would depend on rates in your area

Also it's the middle of a heatwave and they're busy printing money doing emergency ac fix work right now so good luck getting them to return your calls before September

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

devicenull posted:

Have you tried turning the tree off and back on?

chroot

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Huh I should probably do that too, previous owner had cats. How much does it usually cost? I also think we should install another thermostat? The current one is on the ground floor and can't tell that the 2nd floor is significantly hotter.

Call around usually it's $x per vent

Another thermostat? Don't forget also you'd need to get electronic dampers so that you're only heating/ cooling the right areas

I set my house up different in winter and summer. Summer upstairs gets more open and downstairs gets closed up a little. Opposite for Winter when I'm heating.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Throatwarbler posted:

Huh I should probably do that too, previous owner had cats. How much does it usually cost? I also think we should install another thermostat? The current one is on the ground floor and can't tell that the 2nd floor is significantly hotter.

I have an ecobee with a remote sensor upstairs and it's nice. It averages out the temperatures or you can have it pick which one to satisfy for which setting. Not as nice as having a multi zone set-up of course, but that's out of the question for me anyway.

Currently 77 upstairs and 72 downstairs. My standard response to "it's too hot" is "go downstairs!" like, we have two nice rooms with couches to lounge on why do you insist on the bedroom if you're home alone!?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Good news, we got my car out. Bad news, poo poo is very much hosed.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

StormDrain posted:

I have an ecobee with a remote sensor upstairs and it's nice. It averages out the temperatures or you can have it pick which one to satisfy for which setting. Not as nice as having a multi zone set-up of course, but that's out of the question for me anyway.

Currently 77 upstairs and 72 downstairs. My standard response to "it's too hot" is "go downstairs!" like, we have two nice rooms with couches to lounge on why do you insist on the bedroom if you're home alone!?

It's mostly because I have my office set up upstairs, and while moving it all downstairs is feasable, it's rather inconvenient, and if I were to move it I would probably move it to the basement.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hadlock posted:

It took our guy about two hours to pull everything apart, clean and reassemble everything, but the HVAC units have unusually good access, so would depend on rates in your area

Also it's the middle of a heatwave and they're busy printing money doing emergency ac fix work right now so good luck getting them to return your calls before September

This heat is no joke. Our guy is great and spent some time fixing one of our broken dampers, but afterwards half-jokingly asked that we not call him for anything but emergency work until the fall.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Tremors posted:

And here I was all :qq: over the neighbor's house dropping parts of itself on our downspout and damaging it.

Hope you can get your garage fixed up in a halfway timely manner. :ohdear:

Also I am reminded that we really need to talk to an arborist about our lovely mulberries (one of which needs trimming that we cannot safely perform ourselves and another that seems to be dying) AND the neighbor's gigantic walnut tree.

Once I communicated to the neighbor (a kindly landlady) that I had no interest in forcing her to cut it down and that I'd rather it stay standing and healthy (because I highly value the shade it provides the southern side of our house, especially since we do not have central air), she had an arborist look at it (who deemed it stable after a bout of dropping branches after its buddies that had buffered it from storms got cut down :smith:) and also had a tree company come out and fertilize it (definitely worked because it looks super lush this year). However, there's a broken branch stuck in it pretty high up, along with some unsightly dead snags. I'm confident she'd be amenable to allowing our guy to climb it, remove the loose branch, and otherwise clean it up while taking care of our other trees (still gonna get explicit permission, of course). Also, I fully accept that if this tree were to fall, it would most likely fall into our yard and probably take out our back porch and bay window (silver lining would be all the gorgeous walnut lumber falling onto our property from on high, truly a gift from the lord), so I want to do my due diligence. But that's why we all have homeowner's insurance, isn't it?

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Hadlock posted:

Democratic Pirate posted:

This heat is no joke. Our guy is great and spent some time fixing one of our broken dampers, but afterwards half-jokingly asked that we not call him for anything but emergency work until the fall.

My heater kicked on today (and it's not malfunctioning). I'm going to have some real whiplash if we have another 117 degree day in a month or so like we did last year.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

marjorie posted:

My heater kicked on today (and it's not malfunctioning). I'm going to have some real whiplash if we have another 117 degree day in a month or so like we did last year.

Due to all the dust and crap we kicked up while working on the house I told my wife we shouldn't turn the heat on until we have the ducts/furnace cleaned out now that all our stuff is in the house. It's mid-June and freezing inside the house.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
How the gently caress do I get rid of an old refrigerator in the bay area? I carried it down to the garage, carried the new one up, and now nobody will take it even paid because "a licensed technician has to drain the R-134a out of it," and as best I can tell, nobody loving does that. I've called five HVAC / refrigerant companies and an appliance store, and the best I have is a guy who can come out "in a few months" and drain the refrigerant + sign the drainage sticker for $225. The others all said they didn't do fridges. Our dump and recycling center won't take the fridge without the drained-refrigerant sticker signed by the technician, and it's illegal in California to vent R-134a to the atmosphere. I asked them how to get the stuff removed, and the recycling center told me to "call people until I find someone," and WM (our dump) told me to figure it the gently caress out myself.

Anyone tossed an old refrigerator lately? I can't figure out who would even do this.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I thought the whole reason people lived by the ocean is so you could dump stuff like car batteries and old fridges into it?

sounds like a nightmare, I paid Home Depot $20 to haul my old fridge off last week

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Does it still work? If so, sell it for 10 bux on craigslist

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Wheel it to the corner with a "free" sign on it. If no one picks it up then report it to the city as illegal dumping.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I have an old chest freezer that the PO left in my basement because it is physically too big to get out of the room its in since they finished the basement. I told the PO it was OK to leave if it was in working order. When I go to check it out after closing is complete I noticed the power cable was lopped off so I just have loose leads hanging from it so not exactly in working condition. I told my realtor who told the PO's realtor who tried to contact them, but they wouldn't respond. The PO's realtor felt bad so they sent me $200 to pay for some company called Junk Genius to take it apart and haul it away. Maybe there's something like that in the Bay Area?

I still have the freezer in the basement, partially because I'm lazy, but I also might try to splice a power cable onto it and see if it still works first.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Old fridges go to live out the rest of their lives in the garage where they store cans of beer and excess frozen meat.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Do you have a local buy nothing group on your facebook? My area of seattle has a neighborhood specific buy nothing group and its crazy convenient for people who want your old stuff.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Around here the power companies offer gift cards if you have them take away a fridge. PPL is up to $50, PECO is $75, but you have to have an active electrical account and it has to be working.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The fridge doesn't work and can't be reassembled. It was a piece of poo poo to begin with, but is now an irrevocably-destroyed piece of poo poo in order to get it down a narrow flight of stairs.

quote:

Old fridges go to live out the rest of their lives in the garage where they store cans of beer and excess frozen meat.

It actually couldn't have met that role even if it didn't get destroyed to get down the stairs. It couldn't adequately store beer and meat in the first place. I'm the sort to keep an appliance until it literally dies, to the point where I accept the static in my dying, 16-yr-old TV's speakers as part of show. Nobody was going to want this fridge. :v:

quote:

Around here the power companies offer gift cards if you have them take away a fridge. PPL is up to $50, PECO is $75, but you have to have an active electrical account and it has to be working.

We tried that. PG&E said it didn't meet their requirements to take it because of R-134a. It had to be a R600a refrigerant or they wouldn't take it.

quote:

sounds like a nightmare, I paid Home Depot $20 to haul my old fridge off last week

Let me try this, actually. I didn't call Home Depot. I did try Junk King, who quoted me $800 back when stairs were involved. Had no intention of dealing with that.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I can dump one fridge for free every week at the landfill. Shame gas is so high else I could drive to LA have someone pay me to take a fridge away and then dump it at the city dump.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I always wondered why we had such a big illegal dumping problem in Colorado until I had to take some broken furniture to the landfill and got to pay $90 for a single truck bed’s worth

Now I live in a place where my taxes fund the landfill and I could eat off the ground there

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sundae posted:

Let me try this, actually. I didn't call Home Depot. I did try Junk King, who quoted me $800 back when stairs were involved. Had no intention of dealing with that.

Usually the deal is, they take away the old fridge when you buy a new fridge. Maybe you can buy a new freezer, have it installed in your garage (you needed one anyway, right?) and get rid of the old trashed one as part of the deal?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Sundae posted:

We tried that. PG&E said it didn't meet their requirements to take it because of R-134a. It had to be a R600a refrigerant or they wouldn't take it.

I would attempt this again, and hope the person on the other end of the line just does it.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Epitope posted:

Whew. When I said I'd do the demo, I didn't realize what I was signing up for. Feel much calmer now that there's a new roof on. Maybe I get to have weekends again.

Generally wouldn't want just fluffy insulation in an unvented roof under a membrane, no? Or am I missing something?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Mine has hard foam insulation under the membrane but a different construction altogether. Car decking, rigid foam, membrane.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sundae posted:

How the gently caress do I get rid of an old refrigerator in the bay area?
Anyone tossed an old refrigerator lately? I can't figure out who would even do this.

Put it on the curb with a sign that says "$500, please call (number)." It'll be gone once the sun sets.

Sirotan posted:

Yup.

1939 GE.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Now how do I monetize the onslaught of gawkers creeping by?

https://i.imgur.com/OgYul9l.mp4

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sloppy posted:

Generally wouldn't want just fluffy insulation in an unvented roof under a membrane, no? Or am I missing something?

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but if you're asking if the house is built wrong such that it self destructs, the answer is yes

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Managed to finish up the porch. Fine with keeping it open at the moment, might take some time to budget out screens.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tremors posted:

Now how do I monetize the onslaught of gawkers creeping by?

https://i.imgur.com/OgYul9l.mp4

Mint an NFTree.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Welp, after a day of calling people, the best I got was being charged $158 for a different junk firm to come take it to the recycling center, who would do the refrigerant drain but didn't want the fridge itself, and then the junkers will take it to the landfill from there.

That's what I get for researching the new fridge and not the old fridge, I guess. :sigh:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Nearly free of delicious lead:

My collapsed sewer line was an interesting one. It runs right along the property boundary and they didn't want to excavate the pipe since it'd undermine the neighbours' concrete path. Instead they inflated a fiberglass sleeve into it, which was kinda cool to watch:

https://i.imgur.com/BvfPFId.mp4

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Tremors posted:

Have I ever mentioned how much I love home ownership? It's super great!

Sorry I'm late.

Neighbor is not legally liable unless the tree was a known hazard, you were aware of the hazard, and informed the neighbor of the hazard & to remove the tree, and that they failed to act in a timely fashion. Trees are like referees in a football game, they are 'owned' by no one, although whoever owns the land they're growing on has to maintain them (codes vary).

It's a covered loss to the house (the garage is attached to the house, so it falls under the Dwelling coverage).

The garage needs to be stabilized and tarped.

The garage is a total loss. Hopefully, the house itself is unaffected and you can stay there. The engineer will address this.

The insurance will cover removing the tree from the structures far enough to make repairs, but will pay only up to $500 for the debris removal afterwards.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

The insurance will cover removing the tree from the structures far enough to make repairs, but will pay only up to $500 for the debris removal afterwards.

Me: why would you pay someone to steal three years worth of firewood from your driveway?!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

Sorry I'm late.

Neighbor is not legally liable unless the tree was a known hazard, you were aware of the hazard, and informed the neighbor of the hazard & to remove the tree, and that they failed to act in a timely fashion. Trees are like referees in a football game, they are 'owned' by no one, although whoever owns the land they're growing on has to maintain them (codes vary).

It's a covered loss to the house (the garage is attached to the house, so it falls under the Dwelling coverage).

The garage needs to be stabilized and tarped.

The garage is a total loss. Hopefully, the house itself is unaffected and you can stay there. The engineer will address this.

Informative post! Reminds me of last year when I wrote a letter to the property manager of the house next door about their dead and dying trees, and they were all removed within a few months.

Now I just have to persuade the new property owner to plant some replacements. I'll do it in a midwest nice way, I'll just talk about how much I value the trees and how easy it was planting the Linden I just put in the backyard. I just met one of them yesterday and she seems like she'll be a good neighbor.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Me: why would you pay someone to steal three years worth of firewood from your driveway?!

Me: why would you burn all that wood when you could rig up an alaskan mill, mill it, sticker it, and have some lovely "free" wood for projects for years?

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

StarkingBarfish posted:

Nearly free of delicious lead:

My collapsed sewer line was an interesting one. It runs right along the property boundary and they didn't want to excavate the pipe since it'd undermine the neighbours' concrete path. Instead they inflated a fiberglass sleeve into it, which was kinda cool to watch:

https://i.imgur.com/BvfPFId.mp4

So cool.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Tremors posted:

State Farm has told me to pound sand and expects me to live with this as is until next Monday when an adjuster will schedule an appointment to come look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tremors posted:

State Farm has told me to pound sand and expects me to live with this as is until next Monday when an adjuster will schedule an appointment to come look.

Document everything, but there's little left to save. It's not like tarping the roof is going to protect it from becoming the obvious tear down it already is.