Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

bird with big dick posted:

What about in hands on mode? IIRC it doesn't care at all where you eyes are if you're in hands on mode which if we're comparing to Autopilot would actually be the more relevant comparison.

I’ll have to test it but I believe it yells at you even in hands on mode, at least when lane keep assist is also active. Now it doesn’t give a poo poo if you’re not using cruise control but honestly it should probably yell at you any time you’re going above a certain speed and look away for too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Forseti posted:

Been pretty pleased with my 2015 Volt, two weeks in :)
I'm a little confused by the display. Is it a PHEV?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I used the basic Tesla autopilot to road trip ~2k miles over the winter holidays, and the result was generally a more relaxing time than a fully-manual driving experience. With Basic Autopilot on the highway, I could let it handle the boring stuff of managing the simple lane-keeping and throttle control. Meanwhile, I was paying MORE attention to the drivers around me and further down the road for idiots and debris.

I believe recent updates have activated the in-car camera as well. Now I can reliably get angry-prompted while on autopilot for just picking up my phone to glance at who sent a text message. Seems like literally as soon as it realizes you're looking at your phone it does the angry "pay attention to the road dummy" second-level alarming. Probably a good thing overall.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Now it doesn’t give a poo poo if you’re not using cruise control but honestly it should probably yell at you any time you’re going above a certain speed and look away for too long.

I don't disagree, but consumer backlash would be intense on this, no manufacturer will force it for unassisted driving unless the government mandates it.

See: whining about lane departure warnings from chronic non-signalers.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

WhiteHowler posted:

Yes. Volt is a PHEV, Bolt is a BEV.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

WhiteHowler posted:

Not sure if you're serious since I have no idea of the thread context having wandered in and all, but yeah, the Voltec is PHEV with a heavy focus on the EV part. I live in a rural area, so it's nice to get my 34 mile commute on all electric but still be able to hit the interstate and drive to the west coast on a whim if I wanted to. Although if the Bolts were as depreciated I'd probably have gone that way instead.

I also really like them in the used market as that setup let them baby the batteries and so far they seem to hold up extremely well

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Eyes Only posted:

I don't disagree, but consumer backlash would be intense on this, no manufacturer will force it for unassisted driving unless the government mandates it.

See: whining about lane departure warnings from chronic non-signalers.

These mandates are already in progress in the EU and China which may force the issue for the US as well. I suppose we could always get different programming here though, to allow us to continue to kill others at high rates in the name of freedom.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

The Verge posted:

Ford says 48,924 Mustang Mach-E vehicles sold in the US are affected by the problem — nearly half of the estimated 100,000 vehicles produced during that time.

Oops.

quote:

Ford says the problem can be fixed with an over-the-air software update, which will be issued “next month.”

Could be worse, although it seems kind of weird that they could fix that type of hardware problem with a software update.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

bird with big dick posted:

It's pretty clear that some people have one set of goalposts for Tesla and another set of goalposts for everyone else. The NHTSA is investigating a bunch of non Tesla driver assist accidents but I have literally never seen anyone itt talking about any of those.

What about in hands on mode? IIRC it doesn't care at all where you eyes are if you're in hands on mode which if we're comparing to Autopilot would actually be the more relevant comparison.

Only vehicles equipped with BlueCruise have the driver camera and that's only a high end option so yes, regular Ford Adaptive Cruise only uses the hands on wheel sensor. But I've seen plenty of Ford owners perfectly happy to do the ankle weight "trick" that Tesla owners invented. On that it seems both are just as able to be operated unsafely if the driver wants to do that.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’ll have to test it but I believe it yells at you even in hands on mode, at least when lane keep assist is also active. Now it doesn’t give a poo poo if you’re not using cruise control but honestly it should probably yell at you any time you’re going above a certain speed and look away for too long.

I'm not 100% sure if camera equipped vehicles still yell at you on non-Bluecruise zones (because I'm still waiting for the software update). It might but I can't find proof.

What Ford also has is Driver Alert which works when lane centering cruise control is off. It uses the lane camera to determine if you are weaving too much and might be too tired to drive. It puts up a message to take a rest.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Three Olives posted:

Oops.

Could be worse, although it seems kind of weird that they could fix that type of hardware problem with a software update.

Ford's been going by Tesla's playbook a lot lately so it's no surprise they'd fix hardware issues with OTA updates.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The dumb software recall on the EV6 needed a trip to the dealer to get them fix. Add OTA and Wireless carplay already, you cowards!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Ford's been going by Tesla's playbook a lot lately so it's no surprise they'd fix hardware issues with OTA updates.

A couple weeks ago I got an OTA software update to fix a recall on my F-150 trailer brake controller.

Took about 10 mins to install. Much better than taking it to a dealer and losing it for a half-day or more.

Only issue is that it didn't clear the recall message from the ford app.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Forseti posted:

Not sure if you're serious since I have no idea of the thread context having wandered in and all, but yeah, the Voltec is PHEV with a heavy focus on the EV part. I live in a rural area, so it's nice to get my 34 mile commute on all electric but still be able to hit the interstate and drive to the west coast on a whim if I wanted to. Although if the Bolts were as depreciated I'd probably have gone that way instead.
Completely serious, I didn't know the difference between the Volt and the Bolt, and thought they were both full EVs.

Honestly, a PHEV would probably fit my needs just fine (no commute, even if we ever go back to the office it's ~15 miles round trip, limited around-town driving), but I want to jump into EVs all the way.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just checked the Italian brochure for the new niro ev. There are only two choices of spec(equivalent to UK niro level 2 and level 3) and one optional package that bring it to level 4(which includes v2v). 17" inch tires only. Prices are about 3-5k€ less than the ioniq5 and 5-9k€ less than ev6. Kinda high but somewhat expected given the chip shortages.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

WhiteHowler posted:

Completely serious, I didn't know the difference between the Volt and the Bolt, and thought they were both full EVs.

Honestly, a PHEV would probably fit my needs just fine (no commute, even if we ever go back to the office it's ~15 miles round trip, limited around-town driving), but I want to jump into EVs all the way.

Apologies, I suspected I broke a thread rule and was being subtly burned :D

It's a really fair question, but from research the Volt owners either have a chip on their shoulder about not being a full EV, Tesla owners are elitist twats about them having a gasoline engine too, or probably a combination.

Basically it's technically a hybrid, especially because it can actually couple the gas engine output to the wheels somewhere under certain circumstances, but practically it's much more like a low range city EV by day, econobox by night. They also baby the hell out of the battery in that they tell you it has ~10 kWh when it actually has ~15 kWh (which is "unlocks" to maintain the advertised capacity as it ages), will tell you it's completely full at 90% and will tell you it's completely empty at 30%, and has a water cooling system dedicated to the battery.

But it will also let you use the full 10 kWh without ever running the gas engine and as long as you keep charging it, won't ever run the gas engine save to occasionally clear stale gas from the fuel lines. I really like it a lot, and I'm really curious if the concept is actually not still viable for larger vehicles/trucks/SUVs. The idea was basically that you could take 400 miles worth of battery and make 10 cars instead of 2 and still maintain 80% of the EV upshot (numbers pulled out of my rear end) as most trips are nowhere near 200 miles in a single shot, and unlike the Leaf, owners won't hesitate to use ALL of that limited EV range because they aren't risking be stuck.

Last week I had a pretty good streak of not running the gas engine at all, I really like this car a lot so far

GM naming their vehicles Volt and Bolt is annoying af though

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I home GM refreshes the Spark EV, that name is too good to let go.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Forseti posted:

Apologies, I suspected I broke a thread rule and was being subtly burned :D

It's a really fair question, but from research the Volt owners either have a chip on their shoulder about not being a full EV, Tesla owners are elitist twats about them having a gasoline engine too, or probably a combination.

Basically it's technically a hybrid, especially because it can actually couple the gas engine output to the wheels somewhere under certain circumstances, but practically it's much more like a low range city EV by day, econobox by night. They also baby the hell out of the battery in that they tell you it has ~10 kWh when it actually has ~15 kWh (which is "unlocks" to maintain the advertised capacity as it ages), will tell you it's completely full at 90% and will tell you it's completely empty at 30%, and has a water cooling system dedicated to the battery.

But it will also let you use the full 10 kWh without ever running the gas engine and as long as you keep charging it, won't ever run the gas engine save to occasionally clear stale gas from the fuel lines. I really like it a lot, and I'm really curious if the concept is actually not still viable for larger vehicles/trucks/SUVs. The idea was basically that you could take 400 miles worth of battery and make 10 cars instead of 2 and still maintain 80% of the EV upshot (numbers pulled out of my rear end) as most trips are nowhere near 200 miles in a single shot, and unlike the Leaf, owners won't hesitate to use ALL of that limited EV range because they aren't risking be stuck.

Last week I had a pretty good streak of not running the gas engine at all, I really like this car a lot so far

GM naming their vehicles Volt and Bolt is annoying af though

It really is quite a engineering marvel IMHO.

Unlike most PHEVs, it does have its own cooling loop, but it can also use the A/C compressor to chill the coolant in this loop. Additionally it has a dedicated battery heater for that loop. You will sometimes hear the A/C compressor spool up when charging on a hot day.

The Gen2 has a slightly different transmission design with 2 planetary gear sets. This allows it to couple the gas engine directly to the wheels through a wider speed range, thus operating as a standard parallel hybrid. It is the main reason for its better gas efficiency over the gen1. The Gen1 Volt only has a single gearset; it tends to run in series hybrid mode more often; it has a narrower speed range in which it can couple the engine to the wheels directly.

If you ever run out of both electric and gas, you'll be surprised to find out the car will let you eat into the battery's bottom buffer, but at 50% power. I stupidly found this out while going down the interstate and having forgot to get gas. I had it floored to get 50mph, but I was able to make it to the next exit!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Three Olives posted:

Oops.

quote:

In the affected vehicles, it is possible that the high voltage battery main contactors may overheat, which can result in an open contactor or welding condition.

They'll limit the maximum current it pulls to avoid overheating the contactors.

It will be even slower.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

stevewm posted:

If you ever run out of both electric and gas, you'll be surprised to find out the car will let you eat into the battery's bottom buffer, but at 50% power. I stupidly found this out while going down the interstate and having forgot to get gas. I had it floored to get 50mph, but I was able to make it to the next exit!

The screen should constantly be flashing "You idiot, you moron" when this happens

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

mobby_6kl posted:

They'll limit the maximum current it pulls to avoid overheating the contactors.

It will be even slower.

So what would the ICE equivalent be to this? Running thinner oil for fuel economy to the detriment of bearing life? Reducing the boost an engine runs so you can keep the 87 octane min fuel spec?

Edit: Because, the correct fix would be for Ford to upgrade the physical contactors, right?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

McTinkerson posted:

So what would the ICE equivalent be to this?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Speleothing posted:

The screen should constantly be flashing "You idiot, you moron" when this happens

It should have been I agree...

I left a friends house and meant to get gas before I hit the interstate, but completely forgot. Luckily I was only about 2 miles from my exit when it ran out!

I also learned when it says low, it really means OUT. It switched from showing estimated miles to LOW, and then ran out maybe 3 miles after saying low.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

McTinkerson posted:

So what would the ICE equivalent be to this? Running thinner oil for fuel economy to the detriment of bearing life? Reducing the boost an engine runs so you can keep the 87 octane min fuel spec?

Edit: Because, the correct fix would be for Ford to upgrade the physical contactors, right?
Yeah maybe reducing boost or maximum RPM to avoid damage would be the closest equivalent I suppose.

To be clear, I have no idea about the issue beyond what was in that post, so this is just guessing. But if the issue is that the contactors overheat, it means they're undersized and/or there's too much resistance in them for whatever reason. Or maybe they're switching them inappropriately (like there's current going through), which might be possible to fix without performance degradation. I really know nothing about EV powertrains so take this with a grain of salt.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Jymmybob posted:

Test drove a Volvo C40 Recharge today and was underwhelmed a little. Terrific powertrain in an entry-level luxury car and the power far outpaced the chassis. It reminds me of when I tried an Audi SQ5 and it's just too fast for the the suspension tuning plus the C40 has a short steering ratio that makes it worse. I was really looking for a Polestar 2 but it's similar enough the C40 that I'm not going to bother. Disappointing but just not what I was looking for.

I can't bring myself to shop Teslas but I wish there was some other fast EVs without going into Taycan territory. I'd consider an EV6 GT but even the GT-Lines are months out so it's going to be forever and the same goes with the other 2 SK twins.

Maybe an I4 M50 since I work for a company that supplies a ton of BMW parts but it looks a little boring compared to the Koreans and is still expensive.

Maybe the looming recession will finally take down car prices a notch but I'm not holding my breath.

Probably worth still considering the Polestar with the performance pack for a test drive. The suspension there is quite a bit different to the Volvo. Even the base Polestar is rumored to have much stiffer suspension than the Volvo and the performance pack will be moreso.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Jymmybob posted:

Test drove a Volvo C40 Recharge today and was underwhelmed a little. Terrific powertrain in an entry-level luxury car and the power far outpaced the chassis. It reminds me of when I tried an Audi SQ5 and it's just too fast for the the suspension tuning plus the C40 has a short steering ratio that makes it worse. I was really looking for a Polestar 2 but it's similar enough the C40 that I'm not going to bother. Disappointing but just not what I was looking for.

I can't bring myself to shop Teslas but I wish there was some other fast EVs without going into Taycan territory. I'd consider an EV6 GT but even the GT-Lines are months out so it's going to be forever and the same goes with the other 2 SK twins.

Maybe an I4 M50 since I work for a company that supplies a ton of BMW parts but it looks a little boring compared to the Koreans and is still expensive.

Maybe the looming recession will finally take down car prices a notch but I'm not holding my breath.

Aren’t you coming from a Macan? I don’t think there’s anything in it’s class that’s going to compete on driving dynamics, EV or otherwise, unless you step up to one of the exotic marques. If you want to to feel like a Porsche you’ll probably have to get a Porsche.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

McTinkerson posted:

If it's anything like the 2013-2015 hybrid transmissions in the fusion and cmax, "adjust the torque from a standing start so the defective bearing blows up at 100,000 miles instead of 65,000, which is within a warranty window that we offer."

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
Wasn't the Mach-E already limited by inadequate battery cooling or did I dream this? Both for DC charging and driving.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
More like the Bug-E then.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Eyes Only posted:

Wasn't the Mach-E already limited by inadequate battery cooling or did I dream this? Both for DC charging and driving.

The charge curve isn’t super aggressive but it’s fine, especially after some recent updates. As far as driving it’s only the GT that has issues with pulling power but nobody knows if that’s related to cooling or the ability of the motor to handle the current or being hyper cautious with the battery life or what.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Probably worth still considering the Polestar with the performance pack for a test drive. The suspension there is quite a bit different to the Volvo. Even the base Polestar is rumored to have much stiffer suspension than the Volvo and the performance pack will be moreso.

My PS2 (with performance pack) was definitely stiffer than most vehicles I've owned. It is something I noticed at first but quickly got used to it and now I love the way it feels.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

stevewm posted:

It really is quite a engineering marvel IMHO.

Just like GM to create something really cool, finally start to nail it down, then cancel it :v: Although their transition to BEV is better but...

Edit: watch the Bolt get 125kw charging then get canceled :v:

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
1st Long distance trip part 2
Driving from the middle of nowhere, is a much chancier proposition. Without a nearby DC fast charger, we left the house and drove to a 7kw outlet on the grounds of the college in town.
It was showing an error condition. Fortunately Plugshare also showed two more 7kw outlets around the corner by the engineering building.
After a quick 10 minutes we headed out to Jefferson City, using a EVConnect inside a Raddison parking garage. let it charge all the way up to 90% while walking to state capitol and park on the river.
Electrify America was again, sort of crap shoot. at one charger only 1/4 were working, and we had to wait for an EV6 and Mustang in front of us to charge. Almost always at least 1/4 broken.
Car was great, ACC was great, the charging network just needs to catch up. Did manage to destination charge overnight at Springhill Suites in Topeka, (1) CCS (1) Tesla connection.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

CalvinandHobbes posted:

I might still try it if nothing else sticks out but it's over 2 hours to the nearest dealer which puts a damper on things.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Aren’t you coming from a Macan? I don’t think there’s anything in it’s class that’s going to compete on driving dynamics, EV or otherwise, unless you step up to one of the exotic marques. If you want to to feel like a Porsche you’ll probably have to get a Porsche.

Kinda, my wife had an S but she traded it in for a CX9 in 18 and I had an SRT Jeep but traded that in for an old LS460. We moved at the time so we downgraded and also sold off a couple project cars but moved down and still have a tuned 911 Turbo. Now it's time to hop back into something wild and with gas prices up, a super fast EV seems right if I can find something that clicks.

The local BMW dealer has an i4 40 as a demo that I'm trying this week and a M50 sounds like a hoot although the current delivery is Q1 23. The M50 is the current choice but that delay hurts, especially with rates and prices climbing if they can't be fixed now. Might just wait it out another year.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

some_admin posted:

1st Long distance trip part 2
Driving from the middle of nowhere, is a much chancier proposition. Without a nearby DC fast charger, we left the house and drove to a 7kw outlet on the grounds of the college in town.
It was showing an error condition. Fortunately Plugshare also showed two more 7kw outlets around the corner by the engineering building.
After a quick 10 minutes we headed out to Jefferson City, using a EVConnect inside a Raddison parking garage. let it charge all the way up to 90% while walking to state capitol and park on the river.
Electrify America was again, sort of crap shoot. at one charger only 1/4 were working, and we had to wait for an EV6 and Mustang in front of us to charge. Almost always at least 1/4 broken.
Car was great, ACC was great, the charging network just needs to catch up. Did manage to destination charge overnight at Springhill Suites in Topeka, (1) CCS (1) Tesla connection.

I didn't have any problems with EA on our road trip out west, but that Booneville charger in I70 is consistently dicey. At least there's a 62kw in CoMo now.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

stevewm posted:

I've heard that even the Prius lets you start the car with an empty tank and drive a short distance on electric power before the system shuts down, though you can;t get more than a couple miles before draining the battery to dangerously low levels.

And has anyone had any experience with the Hyundai Ioniq 5? My research shows it to be the only alternative to the Model Y which a. I could actually afford and b. has the range I'm looking for.

Cockmaster fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 15, 2022

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Jymmybob posted:

I might still try it if nothing else sticks out but it's over 2 hours to the nearest dealer which puts a damper on things.

Kinda, my wife had an S but she traded it in for a CX9 in 18 and I had an SRT Jeep but traded that in for an old LS460. We moved at the time so we downgraded and also sold off a couple project cars but moved down and still have a tuned 911 Turbo. Now it's time to hop back into something wild and with gas prices up, a super fast EV seems right if I can find something that clicks.

The local BMW dealer has an i4 40 as a demo that I'm trying this week and a M50 sounds like a hoot although the current delivery is Q1 23. The M50 is the current choice but that delay hurts, especially with rates and prices climbing if they can't be fixed now. Might just wait it out another year.

As an I4 eDrive40 owner, I will say it's incredibly fun to drive and a good time but it's not breaking any records with a 5 second 0-60 like some others (or the M50). That said, it's still an extremely nice ride that is effortlessly sporty when you're accelerating at speed.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Cockmaster posted:

And has anyone had any experience with the Hyundai Ioniq 5? My research shows it to be the only alternative to the Model Y which a. I could actually afford and b. has the range I'm looking for.
The Ioniq 5 is not identical but is extremely similar to the Kia EV6, which by most accounts is an absolutely excellent vehicle.

They're pretty rare in comparison to the EV6 since Hyundai is only selling this year's model in certain states.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hell Gem

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I used the basic Tesla autopilot to road trip ~2k miles over the winter holidays, and the result was generally a more relaxing time than a fully-manual driving experience. With Basic Autopilot on the highway, I could let it handle the boring stuff of managing the simple lane-keeping and throttle control. Meanwhile, I was paying MORE attention to the drivers around me and further down the road for idiots and debris.

I believe recent updates have activated the in-car camera as well. Now I can reliably get angry-prompted while on autopilot for just picking up my phone to glance at who sent a text message. Seems like literally as soon as it realizes you're looking at your phone it does the angry "pay attention to the road dummy" second-level alarming. Probably a good thing overall.

Pretty sure Tesla’s don’t use any kind of driver camera monitoring. S and X don’t have one at all. And I’ve had a piece of electrical tape over the one in my Y since I bought it. I can go 20 miles every day reading my phone and not touch the wheel using my steering wheel weight.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

Pretty sure Tesla’s don’t use any kind of driver camera monitoring. S and X don’t have one at all. And I’ve had a piece of electrical tape over the one in my Y since I bought it. I can go 20 miles every day reading my phone and not touch the wheel using my steering wheel weight.

The 3/Y do monitor the driver. My Model 3 nags at me if I look away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bum the Sad posted:

I can go 20 miles every day reading my phone and not touch the wheel using my steering wheel weight.

Oh for fucks sake