Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

El Laucha posted:

A few weeks ago I went to the desert to ride a couple of days:

What an incredible ride. What were the temps like and how far did you go?

kimbo305 posted:

What stuff did you cover? The drill I found most surprising from my class was leading shoulder to shoulder against another rider and riding a lap in contact.

You started track bike shopping yet?

First few weeks was entering/exiting the track, passing safely and riding in close quarters to get the rider's comfortable with the bikes, track, and other riders. We then started into pacelines, drills, games, and track strategy.
I had a similar drill in which we rode the warm up loop in close proximity to another rider, while they would take one arm and push on your shoulder to try and throw your balance while you would try to throw theirs. A later drill we ran was a paceline with a 'motor'(one of the regulars helping out) up front that'd set the pace, whoever was behind would approach to pass and ride along side in close proximity at the red sprinters line between turn 4 and the finish line, then peel to the back. several laps of that, the motor would exit and then we'd scratch for first.

I have around 5 ebay searches going and 3 on craigslist(I don't FB). I missed out on a kickin rad purple EAI Toyo because I didn't have a ride to pick it up (several hours away).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

cursedshitbox posted:

First few weeks was entering/exiting the track, passing safely and riding in close quarters to get the rider's comfortable with the bikes, track, and other riders. We then started into pacelines, drills, games, and track strategy.
I had a similar drill in which we rode the warm up loop in close proximity to another rider, while they would take one arm and push on your shoulder to try and throw your balance while you would try to throw theirs. A later drill we ran was a paceline with a 'motor'(one of the regulars helping out) up front that'd set the pace, whoever was behind would approach to pass and ride along side in close proximity at the red sprinters line between turn 4 and the finish line, then peel to the back. several laps of that, the motor would exit and then we'd scratch for first.

I have around 5 ebay searches going and 3 on craigslist(I don't FB). I missed out on a kickin rad purple EAI Toyo because I didn't have a ride to pick it up (several hours away).

Very cool. I am going to sign up for the upcoming Monday level 2 class if I can clear an upcoming conflict. Auspicious posting this on page 333 (the length of the SD track in meters)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

El Laucha posted:

A few weeks ago I went to the desert to ride a couple of days:

Thanks for posting your ride photos in these threads, amazing as always

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

CuddleCryptid posted:

I may have installed my wheel wrong, the first time I put it on it came off the frame and I had to fix it. I'm going to give it another shot at adjustment and if it doesn't work I'll report back. I just didn't know if it was an "oh that's totally normal" thing

Or I give in and just bring it to my local store lol

Thanks for everyone's advice on this, I reset the axle and it seemed to have caught on the one side in a way that caused the axel to be overtightened, which threw the whole thing off. Not sure how that works but it's fixed now. That bike survived smashing into a car fine but it's a little fiddly on some of the parts now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i could have sworn someone in this thread was talking about waxing KMC chains but i cant find the post...i've read the blog and watched the zero friction youtube videos and i think he said that the coating on KMC chains are too resistant to waxing?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

BraveUlysses posted:

i could have sworn someone in this thread was talking about waxing KMC chains but i cant find the post...i've read the blog and watched the zero friction youtube videos and i think he said that the coating on KMC chains are too resistant to waxing?

Adam/ZFC is weird about that. KMC chains are fine. They're especially fine after a couple rides where the coating has abraded a little bit.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TobinHatesYou posted:

Adam/ZFC is weird about that. KMC chains are fine. They're especially fine after a couple rides where the coating has abraded a little bit.

Surely a couple of rides in, means you need to re wax?
Either way if as it seems they demonstrably don’t last as long as Shimano or YBN chains, why would anyone buy one when the total cost works out higher?

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Grumpwagon posted:

Might steal this for my phone background if you're ok with it

no problem!

cursedshitbox posted:

All the pics are from an area of like 50 miles around where we stayed. For being a desert, the surroundings are quite diverse. Temps for this time of the year were 15-20°C, going down to 0-5° once you pass 3500m of altitude.

spf3million posted:

Thanks for posting your ride photos in these threads, amazing as always

Thanks, its one of the perks of living in Chile.

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 15, 2022

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

I'm replacing a KMC X11 chain this weekend that made it almost 4000 hard miles with plenty of rain, gravel, and dirt before showing 0.5% stretch. That's as long or longer than the several Ultegra chains I've ever used before. No complaints at all, the replacement chain is another X11.

I don't do anything fancy or high effort, just good old fashioned lube and rag wipe down on a regular basis. Far too lazy for anything more than that.

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:
Pages late but whatever.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

https://www.thule.com/en-us/sport-travel-bags-and-cases/bike-gear-bags/thule-roundtrip-bike-duffel-_-3204352

Was this on your list but in the too big category?

I’ll say that this bag is great. Everything else is a loving black hole you have to dig around in, the top down compartment organization is night and day. It may be a smidge bigger than you want but I’ve used it for races nearly even weekend this season and I’d never go back to a regular duffel again.

This was in the 'too big' category. If it was 1/2 as large it would be perfect. Might just have to deal with the size because it looks ideal otherwise.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wooger posted:

Surely a couple of rides in, means you need to re wax?
Either way if as it seems they demonstrably don’t last as long as Shimano or YBN chains, why would anyone buy one when the total cost works out higher?

I have 3 KMC chains, 1 YBN chain and 1 Campy Record chain in my hot wax rotation. The Campy chain shifts the worst now, but it used to be the quietest in all chainlines. The YBN chain is a black version and the coating sloughed off the inner links on my first ride. It also was the first to show surface rust while hanging in my garage over the winter. I expect each of the chains to last at least 15000mi...aka longer than I plan to keep my 11-speed eTap group.

Also I've only ever snapped one chain and that was a nearly new YBN SLA110 on my indoor trainer.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Guinness posted:

I'm replacing a KMC X11 chain this weekend that made it almost 4000 hard miles with plenty of rain, gravel, and dirt before showing 0.5% stretch. That's as long or longer than the several Ultegra chains I've ever used before. No complaints at all, the replacement chain is another X11.

I don't do anything fancy or high effort, just good old fashioned lube and rag wipe down on a regular basis. Far too lazy for anything more than that.

But, but wooger says they're demonstrably worse.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I achieved one of the main goals I set for 2022 today! I rode my usual 100km, 0 elevation loop in (just) under 3 hours, riding solo and taking no breaks (other than having to wait at a drawbridge on two occasions). I reckon I'll be able to shave off a few more minutes if next time I don't go out at 2 pm when it's 25 °C out, but for now I'm really happy that I managed it much sooner than I'd hoped :)

No photos, but I kinda wanted to share anyway. Hope that's okay

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Hell yeah, goon!!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got my new stumpjumper comp alloy and it’s a beautiful bike. The dropper post is too high for me though fully extended, do you guys think it’s worth the money getting one with a shorter drop or just live with it.

They’re a bit more expensive than I thought.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

ethanol posted:

I got my new stumpjumper comp alloy and it’s a beautiful bike. The dropper post is too high for me though fully extended, do you guys think it’s worth the money getting one with a shorter drop or just live with it.

As somebody who has never touched a dropper post: I would assume that is something that can be adjusted. Ask the shop?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ethanol posted:

The dropper post is too high for me though fully extended

Just ruling this out — the collar of the dropper is lowered all the way into the seat tube, right?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dog Case posted:

As somebody who has never touched a dropper post: I would assume that is something that can be adjusted. Ask the shop?

It’s the spring part of it so I don’t think so. But maybe.

kimbo305 posted:

Just ruling this out — the collar of the dropper is lowered all the way into the seat tube, right?

Yup

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
The first family ride is in the books! For her I think it was more about the chance to eat her own foot while on the move.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How did you get the sunglasses to stay in place???

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

ethanol posted:

You sure the bike isn’t too big? You definitely don’t want to have to slightly lower the saddle everytime you use the dropper.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

n8r posted:

You sure the bike isn’t too big? You definitely don’t want to have to slightly lower the saddle everytime you use the dropper.

Mmm well every other dimension is quite good so I think just slightly shorter post would do ir. Pedaling feels fine at full height actually I just can’t touch the ground anymore. Maybe that’s ok and I need to get used to dropping before putting a foot down. If I had to change frames just to touch the ground that would suck a lot because I think it would mean a whole different brand and again it feels very good reach and pedaling wise

Edit: lol im an idiot the reflector is still on and taking up an entire inch of dropper
Edit2: welp reflector or not that area looked usable but it’s already bottomed

ethanol fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 18, 2022

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
You shouldn't be able to touch the ground with your foot while seated on the bike if your saddle is at the right height. Leg extension when pedaling should determine your saddle height, not if you can touch the ground.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

You shouldn't be able to touch the ground with your foot while seated on the bike if your saddle is at the right height. Leg extension when pedaling should determine your saddle height, not if you can touch the ground.

I guess I don’t understand, you drop or get off the seat everytime you stop moving? Because leg extension while pedaling seems pretty good where it is at full extend

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

ethanol posted:

I guess I don’t understand, you drop or get off the seat everytime you stop moving? Because leg extension while pedaling seems pretty good where it is at full extend

Yeah, the saddle is supposed to be high enough to give you slightly less than full extension on your legs while pedaling and seated, meaning you can't touch the ground while seated. For stopping, you clip out, and stand on the ground with your body over the frame. It's a bike that's meant to be pedaled around, not a recliner for sitting on your rear end.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

ethanol posted:

Yes, I use the dropper ever time I put a foot down.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

jetz0r posted:

Yeah, the saddle is supposed to be high enough to give you slightly less than full extension on your legs while pedaling and seated, meaning you can't touch the ground while seated. For stopping, you clip out, and stand on the ground with your body over the frame. It's a bike that's meant to be pedaled around, not a recliner for sitting on your rear end.

Ok, I think I just need to develop a little bit of technique with the post. There’s a little more to using it than I thought.

I pedaled around a fair amount tonight and there is definitely a lot to get used to with this bike. The new to me jump to 29” is I think a large part of that as well. And this is a looooong bike. even turning feels pretty awkward at the moment so I’ll need a lot more time with it to get comfortable. I did a short downhill close to my house though and it was very cool how stable the bike feels when you’re moving your weight back. And I can hop around pretty easily.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Once in a while you luck out and they don't rip the shades off the moment they go on.

It's the same with really cool dogs.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Slavvy posted:

It's easy if you only need them in place for the photo op. Cuz yeah, they don't last much longer than that.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

From a few pages back but re: rough roads and my CAAD12, going to 28mm tires made a huge difference. Running 77/80 psi and it's butter.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Slavvy posted:

You put the sunglasses under the helmet straps.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
POTUS Biden weighs in on the eternal flats vs. clipless vs. toe clips debate:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonboy79...E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Let he who has not randomly eaten poo poo due to clip gremlins be the first to retweet

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

marshalljim posted:

POTUS Biden weighs in on the eternal flats vs. clipless vs. toe clips debate:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonboy79...E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_

God dammit-he had a foot down too. My falls have always been like “oh im going kinda slow…no biggie im really great at balancing and I can just hold on a bit lon…” crash in front of a bunch of people.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

nwin posted:

God dammit-he had a foot down too. My falls have always been like “oh im going kinda slow…no biggie im really great at balancing and I can just hold on a bit lon…” crash in front of a bunch of people.

He kicked his other leg out while it was still in the toe cage, lol. :allears:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

adnam posted:

Any goons riding with cameras? I’m already running lights front and back and helmet and wearing high-viz, but I’m religious about dashcams and cars and would at least like to have video of whatever killed me on the street in that case. Thinking about sticking a GoPro on helmet but just wanted to see what other people were doing. Use case ideally would be enough juice for 2-4 hour rides, ideally 6-8 but that would probably need additional battery packs.

I got a Drift Ghost X back in 2018 and I've been happy with it. Power-on time is around 5 hours with the stock battery, and 8 with the extended one, and they're swappable if you're on tour or something. It's very much more dashcam than action cam, with looping car DVR modes and the like. The rotating lens is also super useful for different mounting positions.

The only real issue I've ever had was with GPS accuracy dropping a bit with it mounted directly under the computer because its internal shielding isn't the greatest. Accuracy was going from 1-2m to 6-9m with it on; while it was still tracking accurately enough for recording rides I want those smooth round lines so I fixed it with some shielding. I confirmed it was the camera with some different GPS units and experimentation, and so far my permanent fix of putting a bit of tinfoil inside the case has been holding up. Of course, this is only an issue if it's in direct proximity, even having it on the handlebars makes the issue go away but having it on the mount is most convenient for my setup.

Their newer models don't have a battery that can be swapped, but they're completely sealed and come with a waterproof power connector so if you hook it up to a USB power bank it'll run for as long as you need it to. My older model also works on external power but it's just a plain USB connector that doesn't seal out the elements when it's in use.

There's a couple more things I like about it, but it might not matter to you. While I don't know about their newer models, everything in the Ghost X is very user-serviceable. I can probably keep this thing running forever since both the camera and the battery packs are held together with screws and gaskets instead of stuff that snaps together that you have to pry apart, and whenever the batteries wear out I can just replace the LiPo packs inside for a couple bucks instead of buying brand new batteries with the enclosure. It also has some neat features that aren't advertised that let you use it as a streaming wifi camera that can be controlled remotely. It doesn't use any proprietary protocols or anything, just sends an RTSP feed that you can do whatever you want with. I found a bird nest while doing spring cleaning and I stuffed my camera in there with a long USB cord to a power bank I could swap out without disturbing them every couple of days. It ran 24/7 for two months with no hiccups.

http://burningjustice.net/img/flaps.mp4

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Eejit posted:

Let he who has not randomly eaten poo poo due to clip gremlins be the first to retweet

The gremlins aren't even clip/clipless specific. A few weeks back I definitely slipped off of one of my flats in a weird way when the light went green. I half fell over and immediately started laughing like a crazy person.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I've ridden Ekar on 4 short rides now, and have some initial impressions:
- I was having trouble shifting up or down from one gear, hanging in both directions. I got a hanger alignment tool and made a slight adjustment, even thought it was probably no more than 2mm out of plane at the rim. It was still the same, so I decreased the cable tension at the RD, having already adjusted down all the way. That improved it, so I need to tweak some more. It's weird that it's just the one cog that's a problem, and stands out as my biggest complaint with the groupset, since I don't have confidence with shifting.
- outside of that gear, shifting is very positive and has a familiar Campy mechanical feel through the cranks
- losing the ability to multi-upshift is a real bummer, but it seems like I'm one of the few people who care about that. Yeah, I just really like sweeping gradually up the gears coming from a red light. Both the upshift and downshift actions are pretty long compared to prior Campy, all in the name of more reliability on gravel
- After my bumpit hack, the bars were more comfortable, but I ultimately wasn't happy with the angle from the hood to the bar, so moved the shifters and rewrapped. I still think Campy could have done a better job with having a lower step down to the bar from the back edge of the hood.
- most reviews said that the weird C-shaped upshift trigger was pretty nice, and I agree, but not quite like they said.

On the hoods, pressing on the top of the C where the original trigger would be works the same, no fuss.
But I discovered I like pressing the side of my thumb into the outside edge of the C. The bevel is angled in a way that makes it feel really natural. Might not work for others.
Also, if you really want to be goofy, you can reach your fingers all the way around from under the shifter, pull up at the bottom of the C, and shift that way.

From the drops, I found the bottom of the C too close and restrictive for me. Like my thumb is jammed all the way into the hollow of the C. Which makes sense since I'm used to getting the thumb all the way to the top landing of the trigger anyways.
I'm sure the fit is a function of using bars with a shallow drop, which many people would for gravel.
Instead of a C, maybe something like ¬, where there's just an extra tab sloping down and back.

Bonus initial impression -- decided to try out the Romin Mirror saddle.
Squeezing the rubber lattice with your fingers, it's immediately obvious how variable the density/springiness is across the padding. With the two firmest spots right under your sitbones, of course. The ride before, I was on a lightly padded classic Romin, so fairly close comparison in terms of saddle shape.
Two things stood out -- the saddle is definitely pretty springy, giving a lot more than serious roadie saddles that I'd only be riding with chamois. It was comfortable, though, and seemed like a good match for gravel. More springy than any other saddle I've tried except the Cambium carved, which was much too springy for me to use.
I weigh 200 and the max for the Mirror is 240, so I'm not pushing the limit in terms of mass affecting the material.

The other effect of having give is that the saddle padding seemed to shift back a bit on big bumps, adding that extra dimension of compliance. The only other time I've noticed that effect was using the Ergon/Canyon leaf spring seatpost -- even the Thudbuster and Redshift Shockstop don't feel like this.
Again, I think this is right on for gravel, but might be weird if you're used to riding glass-smooth roads.

e: this was a 30min ride, so comfort is relative. I'm seriously considering bringing the Mirror on bike tour in August, so need to test in with some real seat time.

Bonus unrelated pics:

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 19, 2022

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kimbo305 posted:

Bonus unrelated pics:

Why are your handlebars pointing up at the sky?
Please don’t lay your bike drive side down. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Been using Gravelking+ Slicks (32s) for a while because the thread recommended them but they seal like poo poo on my rims and wear out pretty fast, are there any other tires anyone can recommend for 700x32 tubeless riding on paved and crushed limestone surfaces?

I had to pitch one with 800 miles on it because I deflated it to put more sealant in and the fucker wouldn't seat and inflate to save my life.