Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mashing buttons and watching scores of soldiers die is The Musou Experience, yeah. Most of the extra stuff is about getting higher numbers in the event you run into someone who is actually challenging. That being said, the fact you can give orders to up to (at least) 8 people means this is already more involved than most Musous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So I figured I'd download the demo and give it a shot. This is my first ever musou game, so I'm playing on Normal/Casual, and I've gotten to the end of the pre-timeskip section. The game is throwing an overwhelming amount of information at me. Materials, weapons, status effects, abilities, classes, oh my god there's so much. Except none of it really seems to matter. I mash Y and X a lot and a bunch of enemies die. Sometimes I press A when the meter fills up and a bunch of enemies really die. The game tells me that one of my bases is being attacked, so I send over the person with the most up arrows against the attacker. I find a boss and mash Y and X some more. Then I win. Triple S rank. Sure, I guess?

I get that I'm still basically in tutorial land, so I'm not exactly expecting a challenge, but having never played a musou before, I guess I'm just curious about how these games generally progress. Does the combat gain more depth or am I just going to be mashing all game? Are all these weapons and materials and classes and skill cross-training and etc etc etc things that I'm going to have to pay attention to? Is there more strategy to sending people around the map beyond "send the guy with the most up arrows"? I'm not trying to poo poo on the game, I'm just trying to get a sense of how a musou plays beyond the tutorial. It's hard to know whether this is worth buying from the bit that's available.

Honestly my pro-tip is to skip through 99% of the tutorial popups and just button mash to victory if all the nuance is stressing you out. Musou games do have a lot of mechanical complexity to them and if you want to you absolutely can set up extremely broken combinations of unit/class/weapon that just mop the floor with entire rooms... or you can just roll out your favorite characters and hit Y -> Y -> Y -> X over and over until you win. Particularly on normal and below there's really no reason to engage with the deeper aspects of the combat system unless you really want to.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Sydin posted:

Byleth is not capable of engaging any of their students romantically during White Clouds when a student/teacher power dynamic is in play. A supports and proposals only come after it's been 5+ years since Byleth was teaching them and I believe every character who can be romanced is of age by that time. :shrug:

If anything the power dynamic between Edelgard and Byleth is firmly in the former having all the power, since Edelgard is emperor and Byleth on CF is just a mute weirdo who's firmly alienated every other faction and wouldn't really have anywhere to turn but the Empire even if they wanted to leave.

I've seen some people consider that since Byleth still was part of their development when younger and the characters still hold you onto a pedestal (and call you Professor) that still gives vibes of grooming, specially people who work in teaching fields.

Which is dumb since that would require Byleth to have a personality and more emotions than a rock, but honestly? Find Byleth/student ships unconfortable is a perfectly valid opinion to have as long as you're not harassing others about it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah that's very much the normal experience. Hard has you much more involved with the mechanics if that's your jam, but the core of at least FEW is finding your guy with the most up arrows and orders them to the right spot, swapping guys to control them manually/making sure you don't just tunnel vision and forget about your base.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

also there's the fact that your chosen difficulty level doesn't actually do anything until you get out of the prologue. those chapters are tuned to be super easy, if you have hard on the next ones are an intense difficulty spike where suddenly random stronghold captains are four-shotting you. i imagine it gets tougher there even on normal

this is also where they introduce the entire rest of the mechanics so you should just keep playing and the game will answer the question of what it's like pretty well actually

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man I loved this demo. I really missed the three houses world and it seems to run decently well too. I will probably get this but maybe not straight at release

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man I loved this demo. I really missed the three houses world and it seems to run decently well too. I will probably get this but maybe not straight at release

Same. I'm mid vacation at that time, so I wouldn't have good internet, and even if I did, I would have a week before Monster Hunter takes up all my switch time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

it seems to run decently well too.

I was really worried after the 10-15 FPS nightmare that was trying to play Age of Calamity, but yeah Koei Techmo have obviously made some huge strides in squeezing out every drop they can from the Switch hardware. Note quite as buttery smooth as I'd like but the FPS dips are rarely bad even in the thick of it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I already pre-ordered it. :twisted:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I've seen some people consider that since Byleth still was part of their development when younger and the characters still hold you onto a pedestal (and call you Professor) that still gives vibes of grooming, specially people who work in teaching fields.

Which is dumb since that would require Byleth to have a personality and more emotions than a rock, but honestly? Find Byleth/student ships unconfortable is a perfectly valid opinion to have as long as you're not harassing others about it.

What about the Ashen wolves? They’re more akin to teacher’s assistant than students. Also, p sure they’re older than Byleth

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sydin posted:

I was really worried after the 10-15 FPS nightmare that was trying to play Age of Calamity, but yeah Koei Techmo have obviously made some huge strides in squeezing out every drop they can from the Switch hardware. Note quite as buttery smooth as I'd like but the FPS dips are rarely bad even in the thick of it.
you should try portable mode :unsmigghh:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mercedes and Balthus are older than Byleth, all the other students are younger.

Balthus is actually older than Shamir so the fact he has a new appearance post timeskip while Shamir doesn't is a shame.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 14, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Mercedes and Balthus are older than Byleth, all the other students are older.

Balthus is actually older than Shamir so the fact he has a new appearance post timeskip while Shamir doesn't is a shame.

That he has a new appearance at all always sucks (imo) just cause I prefer his original look. Like his original look to me is basically Elvis Presley if Elvis beat the poo poo out of people instead of eating at Arby's.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Also the Ashen Wolves, as much as they call themselves the fourth house, are composed of an expelled student (Yuri), a graduate (Balthus) and 2 girls who never enrolled (Constance and Hapi), and the house is a house in name only, so storywise they aren't Byleth's students.

..though now I realize, gameplay-wise, you are teaching every character you have (even professors like Manuela), so they're all your students, even post-timeskip since you still teach them. Therefore no character you can teach is unproblematic since they're all teacher-student romances.

And as we said the other options, Rhea (your grandma-mother-daughter) and Sothis (looks 10 and is also you) are not valid.

Ergo, the only valid S-Rank in the game is Alois since you marry a random villager who was never your student, is probably your age and is not related to you. QED.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Eimi posted:

That he has a new appearance at all always sucks (imo) just cause I prefer his original look. Like his original look to me is basically Elvis Presley if Elvis beat the poo poo out of people instead of eating at Arby's.

His three hopes look resembles a solid snake audition so I dig it

Also the Ashen Wolves, as much as they call themselves the fourth house, are composed of an expelled student (Yuri), a graduate (Balthus) and 2 girls who never enrolled (Constance and Hapi), and the house is a house in name only, so storywise they aren't Byleth's students.

..though now I realize, gameplay-wise, you are teaching every character you have (even professors like Manuela), so they're all your students, even post-timeskip since you still teach them. Therefore no character you can teach is unproblematic since they're all teacher-student romances.

And as we said the other options, Rhea (your grandma-mother-daughter) and Sothis (looks 10 and is also you) are not valid.

Ergo, the only valid S-Rank in the game is Alois since you marry a random villager who was never your student, is probably your age and is not related to you. QED.

Well, post timeskip they can also teach you, and the classroom is replaced by a war council of sorts

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

His three hopes look resembles a solid snake audition so I dig it

the headband does do a lot to help. Vast improvement over his timeskip look for sure.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Deltasquid posted:

Well, post timeskip they can also teach you, and the classroom is replaced by a war council of sorts
oh fukc now every ship is problematique

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though I think teacher student dynamics are kind of hard to say are a thing when we are talking about literally royalty and nobility. Though I’m not 100% sure if they are all nobility

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Constance enrolled too. Not sure if she ever graduated though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Eimi posted:

Yeah but he looks like Solid Snake. That's awesome.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i put lysithea in pegasus knight because she already mastered both mage and priest, (because mastermind is loving busted as a personal skill) and now im sincerely hoping that Dark Flyer makes it into this game so that she can once again experience her true calling as an unstoppable fighter jet

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
After doing a few more battles I have to say everyone in Black Eagles is super cool and I like them all. Except, well, Dorothea I guess. She isn't bad! Just that to me, she's the most "Oh yeah, you exist" character in the roster. Maybe I will like her more after some support conversations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its gotta be kinda weird being introduced to the characters through this game and not 3 houses.

Game kinda blows right past getting to know everyone to get right into wartime plot shenanigans.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If Dorothea is anything like she is in the main game she gets a lot more interesting and cool after the timeskip.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Its gotta be kinda weird being introduced to the characters through this game and not 3 houses.

Game kinda blows right past getting to know everyone to get right into wartime plot shenanigans.

It's clear the game expects you to have played Three Houses already. It doesn't even have that many supports, you're expected to know the plot (and, therefore, how it deviates) and the characters except Shez.

Unconnected to that, I really want to know which classes work best for the BE house because boy, giving you a million mages is kind of annoying. Petra as a Thief rocks though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hellioning posted:

If Dorothea is anything like she is in the main game she gets a lot more interesting and cool after the timeskip.

Dorothea definitely has the most of what made up her character beats blown away by Three Hopes. Her whole reason for being in the officer's academy is to try and find a noble partner but here she only gets like a month before the academy closes. Then in part 2 her thing in 3H was being the grounded one who's like "holy gently caress we're fighting our cherished childhood friends this is horrible" but as Shez can point out to her this go around, they were all at best passing acquaintances not worth fretting over much more than the average mook.

The demo writing has all been really good though so I trust the game to figure out how to tune her for the AU.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

dorothea is also one of the characters whose new design is sadly worse than her original timeskip outfit

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You need 80 achievement points for the first advanced seals, and while I haven't crunched the numbers, I think that's theoretically doable with a lot of grinding. I've hit 40 with no concerted effort whatsoever.

Though I get the impression advanced classes aren't actually available in the demo; they don't show up in the class menu even when you master an intermediate class.

It's absolutely doable with enough grinding.

Also, thanks to the latest update, I have managed to figure out what is likely to 99% be Shez's actual learned spells once you get through the classes needed:

quote:

Reason:
Blizzard
Mire B
Banshee Θ
Luna Λ

Faith:
Heal
Nosferatu
Physic

Spoilers are the ones we can't confirm through the demo because their data has been mostly scrubbed from it. I cross-referenced Shez with other notable characters who learn dark magic to figure out which spells they were.

It's actually a rather good reason spell list by offensive mage standards and a decent faith spell list by support mage standards. It is also very plain to see that Shez's spell list very heavily contrasts Byleth's spell list, not only by having a better and more interesting Reason spell list over Byleth's in exchange for a worse Faith list, but also in how his preference for dark magic contrasts Byleth's preference for light magic as their main offensive magic.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 15, 2022

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though I think teacher student dynamics are kind of hard to say are a thing when we are talking about literally royalty and nobility. Though I’m not 100% sure if they are all nobility

Much as there's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism, there's no such thing as equal relationships under feudalism.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Zore posted:

Hanneman has the largest gap between good supports and awful supports in the game. Like he has 3 full A supports with students where they get a unique ending about how they become colleagues and lifelong friends who work well together and they're really cool! (Annette, Marianne, Lysithea)

And then you have the ones where he gets into a relationship out of nowhere with the student instead of continuing to have the wholesome mentor relationship with them which are creepy as hell.

And then you have the best ending where you pair him Manuela so they can continue being dumb jackasses together forever.

sounds like a Dorothea problem.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also you find Monica and she just explains a bunch of plot points from the first game to you before they happen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Defiance Industries posted:

Also you find Monica and she just explains a bunch of plot points from the first game to you before they happen.

Coming from Three Houses it was pretty great for a character to show up in like Chapter 2 and go "yeah I got kidnapped by the slithers. Oh you don't know who they are? Let me explain then." Even better on CB with the next chapter being you going and immediately dunking on them.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm sure they'll matter more later on but I did appreciate how they got the slitherins out of the way as soon as they could to focus on what really matters, Edelgard and Rhea attempting to ignore how similar they are to each other.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Hellioning posted:

I'm sure they'll matter more later on but I did appreciate how they got the slitherins out of the way as soon as they could to focus on what really matters, Edelgard and Rhea attempting to ignore how similar they are to each other.

Hellioning posted:

Oh no.

The discourse.

It has followed us.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-LKFHpib9Y

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Folt The Bolt posted:

It's absolutely doable with enough grinding.

Also, thanks to the latest update, I have managed to figure out what is likely to 99% be Shez's actual learned spells once you get through the classes needed:

Spoilers are the ones we can't confirm through the demo because their data has been mostly scrubbed from it. I cross-referenced Shez with other notable characters who learn dark magic to figure out which spells they were.

It's actually a rather good reason spell list by offensive mage standards and a decent faith spell list by support mage standards. It is also very plain to see that Shez's spell list [/spoiler]very heavily contrasts Byleth's spell list, not only by having a better and more interesting Reason spell list over Byleth's in exchange for a worse Faith list, but also in how his preference for dark magic contrasts Byleth's preference for light magic as their main offensive magic[/spoiler].

Oh, that's nice. I was disappointed that Shez seemed to learn regular magic, since Arval clearly is somehow related to the Agartheans and every character involved with them learns dark magic, so glad to know this actually still holds true. Wonder if Monica will learn anything like that as well, although she was only kidnapped so Kronya could replace her a year or so down the line / so that her father would hand over his relic, so I figure that doesn't count.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am the discourse.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

it only just occurred to me that the Ashen Wolves are absolutely going to be Byleth's faction, solely because they have "Ashen" in the name. There's absolutely no chance they won't be.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Hellioning posted:

I'm sure they'll pop up regularly in the war sequence since Thales, Kronya and Solon all survive this time, they just warp away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Oh, that's nice. I was disappointed that Shez seemed to learn regular magic, since Arval clearly is somehow related to the Agartheans and every character involved with them learns dark magic, so glad to know this actually still holds true. Wonder if Monica will learn anything like that as well, although she was only kidnapped so Kronya could replace her a year or so down the line / so that her father would hand over his relic, so I figure that doesn't count.
Blizzard being the default and sole Black Magic spell appears to initially contrast with Byleth's heavy focus on Fire spells. However, Arval's Awakening seems to be what shifts Shez's spell focus to Dark Magic as a contrast to Byleth's Faith magic being more offensive than most Faith spell users. Moreover, M!Shez can learn Essence of Darkness; the Dark version of Mercie's Essence of Light.

As for Monica, Looking over the data, she does in fact seem to be able to learn two Dark spells, Swarm Ζ and Hades Ω (the latter determined by process of elimination), in addition to the non-elemental Meteor (also determined by process of elimination).