Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
everything, positive or negative, said about power levels or beam fights or whatever is only obliquely related to quality at best

what matters is how clearly and compellingly what your shown communicates meaning. HxH works because:

a) Togashi abandons any plot contrivance he's lost interest in immediately (something many professional mangaka don't necessarily have the clout to do)

and b) he's meticulous about establishing the personal and narrative stakes for every conflict. it doesn't matter at all if he spends a few pages gushing about some game theory-esque rules dilemma he's come up with or if he just makes up a new power for someone out of loving nowhere, or even that he swaps between the two all the time. what matters is you know exactly what kind of person everyone is, how they feel about each other, and what's going to happen if they win

which isn't to say that all the martial arts mysticism or science fiction stuff means nothing, of course. just that it exists in service to the above. that's why Gon's power is childish but deeply competitive, Hisoka's is just a never-ending series of opportunities to prove how clever he is, Kurapika's is literally a manifestation of him giving his entire life and being over to revenge, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Catch up
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-121/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=539
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-122/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=540

lol at "Except for one person..." You don't say.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

everything, positive or negative, said about power levels or beam fights or whatever is only obliquely related to quality at best

what matters is how clearly and compellingly what your shown communicates meaning. HxH works because:

a) Togashi abandons any plot contrivance he's lost interest in immediately (something many professional mangaka don't necessarily have the clout to do)

and b) he's meticulous about establishing the personal and narrative stakes for every conflict. it doesn't matter at all if he spends a few pages gushing about some game theory-esque rules dilemma he's come up with or if he just makes up a new power for someone out of loving nowhere, or even that he swaps between the two all the time. what matters is you know exactly what kind of person everyone is, how they feel about each other, and what's going to happen if they win

which isn't to say that all the martial arts mysticism or science fiction stuff means nothing, of course. just that it exists in service to the above. that's why Gon's power is childish but deeply competitive, Hisoka's is just a never-ending series of opportunities to prove how clever he is, Kurapika's is literally a manifestation of him giving his entire life and being over to revenge, etc.

The fights themselves usually also make sense given the conditions established within them, though. Like maybe a character is revealed to have a new power, but I don't think that usually comes up as a deus ex machina; it's usually explained and then the battle progresses in a reasonable way given the existence of that power. Or the fact that a power is unknown actually factors into the way the fight is approached (like Hisako vs Chrollo).

Another thing I like (something that ToG actually shares and that I've probably mentioned at some point in this thread) is the way HxH will just completely change the setting and introduce a ton of new characters during most (if not all) new arcs. It really helps keep things interesting, even if there might be some misses.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
In case anyone, like me, has no idea what the big reveal on the last page is supposed to be: that's Gustang, another family head who I assume is here to stop Traumerei from killing everyone and ending the comic.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sindai posted:

In case anyone, like me, has no idea what the big reveal on the last page is supposed to be: that's Gustang, another family head who I assume is here to stop Traumerei from killing everyone and ending the comic.

yeah I think the last time we saw him he was being extremely Up To Something at the end of the hidden floor arc (might have arc wrong)

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
He actually "saves" Rachel and grants her 3 still unknown wishes at the end of season 2, and is also the one that is close to being in a war against jahad).

Also, raw spoilers, Rachel entering the tournament for Baam's spouse would be hilarious, even more if Khun is somehow involved. .

I love this series in all it's glorious nonsense.

Kefahuchi_son!!! fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 14, 2022

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
As for the most current chapters raw, I think she'd rather kill herself than admit that Baam is, and always has been, the protagonist. Also she's not even remotely on the level of the hitters that will be showing up for this one. Hell Baam probably isn't on the level of some of the hitters that will be showing up for this one.

I wish all the warriors the greatest honor in their quest for the ultimate waifu.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like Rachel and think she is an interesting character.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I’m still holding out vain hope that we’ll get a season where Rachel is the viewpoint character one day. She’s kind of a garbage person but that and the fact she’s holding the key to a lot of backstory makes her interesting.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

I also think she is perhaps the most interesting of the cast, in a character-only perspective.

Mulva posted:

I wish all the warriors the greatest honor in their quest for the ultimate waifu.

Current chapters raw, Rachel is trying to be the protagonist of her own story, but also acts in incredibly petty ways and i can see her stomaching being tied to Baam just to deny him something.
I suspect the playing field will be leveled a bit, or even restricted to regulars, as the regular princesses, elaine, and even ehwa are almost assured to take part in some way.

Either way i'm excited for it!!

Kefahuchi_son!!! fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 14, 2022

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is there a good place to read this now? I stopped awhile back because the webtoons translation was getting pretty grating. Did that get any better?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hahahaahahahahahahaha

No

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The main reason I have sympathy for Rachel's perspective is that she lives in a setting where "fate" actually does seem to exist. So instead of viewing it like "why is she hostile towards Baam, who is just A Guy Who is Good and Kind," it's more that she's hostile to what Baam represents - a fate where none of her actions really matter. And because she didn't have the benefit of being a pre-ordained protagonist with immense talent and power, she has no reliable way to achieve anything other than the various dubious methods she employs (or just riding on Baam's coat-tails). People say things like "Rachel is a coward because of things like her reaction to the floor 1 test," but her actions are entirely reasonable - Baam is the one who behaves in ways that are insane (and only work out because he is effectively protected by his fate and has exceptional talent). A story where Rachel is a brave risk-taking character is a story where she just dies really early, like most other people who try climbing the Tower.

There are a number of reasons why someone might have the perspective she does (being reflexively opposed to fate and those favored by it), and we don't know enough about her to know how justified/reasonable her perspective might be. We do know that the author of the story likes her character, which makes me inclined to think that there's something interesting going on there beyond "Rachel is just a bad person who is envious of Baam."

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ytlaya posted:

The main reason I have sympathy for Rachel's perspective is that she lives in a setting where "fate" actually does seem to exist. So instead of viewing it like "why is she hostile towards Baam, who is just A Guy Who is Good and Kind," it's more that she's hostile to what Baam represents - a fate where none of her actions really matter. And because she didn't have the benefit of being a pre-ordained protagonist with immense talent and power, she has no reliable way to achieve anything other than the various dubious methods she employs (or just riding on Baam's coat-tails). People say things like "Rachel is a coward because of things like her reaction to the floor 1 test," but her actions are entirely reasonable - Baam is the one who behaves in ways that are insane (and only work out because he is effectively protected by his fate and has exceptional talent). A story where Rachel is a brave risk-taking character is a story where she just dies really early, like most other people who try climbing the Tower.

There are a number of reasons why someone might have the perspective she does (being reflexively opposed to fate and those favored by it), and we don't know enough about her to know how justified/reasonable her perspective might be. We do know that the author of the story likes her character, which makes me inclined to think that there's something interesting going on there beyond "Rachel is just a bad person who is envious of Baam."

She's a great character, but it's not because there is any depth to her. She's a great character because there isn't. She's exactly what she appears to be every single loving time you see her. She's a narcissist, and an incompetent one at that. She latches on to people stronger than her and manipulates them to do things for her, and when she finds someone weaker than she is she brutalizes them. And whenever she gets called out she bitches about how unfair everything is. This isn't something that has just happened once, it keeps happening. She's scum. She has no redeeming values. She isn't exceptional in any manner. And she will spite gently caress the entire universe to death for the sin of making her irrelevant.

She is the anti-Baam, with no concern for anything but herself, willing to risk nothing and believing in nothing, who only climbs the Tower because she feels she is owed. And in the twelve years this story has been running that hasn't changed once. There is not even the slightest hint there is more to her than exactly what she presents as. A monster. When Khun said he truly believes that God is fair, and that even with two healthy legs he'd never let someone with a rotten soul run? That was basically her entire arc forever. She crippled someone out of pure spite, but in the decades since that guy tried as hard as he could and regained some degree of his speed. And she? Did nothing, risked nothing, tried nothing. And that's a cool antagonist to have running around for a writer, because she can conceivably blow up any situation because she's too stupid and self-involved not to.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

She latches on to people stronger than her and manipulates them to do things for her

That sounds pretty competent tbh

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

HenryEx posted:

That sounds pretty competent tbh

She's not actually good at it though, is the thing. The vast majority have been using her, or planning to betray her, or only following her because someone else told them to. It's mirror Baam again, just in and out of universe. Baam gets his infinite power ups because he's a child of destiny, Rachel gets hers because they are the only way she gets to stay in the plot. Baam can stand in front of the aura of a family head and be unbowed when every single other person in both armies is effected, Rachel would die in a straight up fight to like.....any other named character?

She's an interesting character, but again....it's not because there's anything even slightly exceptional or even borderline competent about her.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I mean, she's still in the game though, somehow. Even though loving with and manipulating people more powerful than you is one of the surefire ways to set you on a quick trip to the afterlife in almost any world. So she's doing something right, even when messing up. Failing gracefully (even if it doesn't appear very graceful) to keep running is also a skill, even if you may not like it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

HenryEx posted:

So she's doing something right

No, she's not. At all. She has convinced no-one to be on her side. She inspires nothing. Outside powers arbitrarily decide to give her things for the luls. If she died right this second nobody on her 'team' would care.

Like here, I'll make it really simple: You name one thing she did to be in her position. Just one.

e: The answer is torment people in positions of weakness. Be it trying to kill Baam when his guard is down or torturing or killing people she has hostage, that is the only thing she's ever actively put herself out there to do. Everything else is going with someone else's flow.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 16, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As I said, the alternative would have been just dying. Rachel couldn't have possibly made it past the first floor without accepting the initial deal she did. Baam couldn't have without great luck either; he's basically protected by fate (in that case taking the form of Black March favoring him), so it's kind of weird to act like Rachel is the only one who somehow didn't "earn" her way up the Tower. And we don't fully understand Rachel's situation from before entering the Tower. There's obviously some reason for her to feel the way she does about Baam.

Also, Rachel isn't really that morally offensive by the standards of the Tower. Much of Baam's group (like Khun) are totally fine with murdering random people (or at least were before spending years with Baam). Hardly anyone climbs the Tower fairly and through pure merit; people generally succeed through a combination of immense innate talent and/or ruthlessly loving over others. The Tower is not a nice place and Regulars/Rankers are generally not good people.

Probably the most directly malicious thing she's done is loving up Dan's legs, and she did that after convincing the other FUG infiltrators to let him live.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Probably the most directly malicious thing she's done is loving up Dan's legs, and she did that after convincing the other FUG infiltrators to let him live.

Plus, as much of a trash person as she is, and as petty as mutilating him was, everyone in Kuhn’s group had totally signed up for betraying and murdering her as well. It was in Kuhn’s sales pitch and everything. She just betrayed them first.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I think it was somewhere in the Hell Train arc where Rachel said something along the lines of "why's everyone so mad, I'm just playing the game as its meant to be played". She's got the drive of a shonen protagonist, but none of the superpowers that usually let them go for their goals without compromising their morals. She's willing to do anything to keep climbing, and isn't completely without skills or competence, she's just not an innately super-strong wunderkind like Baam or AA. Like yeah she's only gotten as far as she has with powerful patrons and some luck in addition to her own actions, but that's true for Baam and friends as well.

She's easy to hate, but I think she's a fascinating character and there's some massive blanks in her story that I'm very interested in seeing fleshed out.

Not a likable character, but a really good one IMO.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ATP_Power posted:

I think it was somewhere in the Hell Train arc where Rachel said something along the lines of "why's everyone so mad, I'm just playing the game as its meant to be played". She's got the drive of a shonen protagonist, but none of the superpowers that usually let them go for their goals without compromising their morals. She's willing to do anything to keep climbing, and isn't completely without skills or competence, she's just not an innately super-strong wunderkind like Baam or AA. Like yeah she's only gotten as far as she has with powerful patrons and some luck in addition to her own actions, but that's true for Baam and friends as well.

She's easy to hate, but I think she's a fascinating character and there's some massive blanks in her story that I'm very interested in seeing fleshed out.

Not a likable character, but a really good one IMO.

She also seems to have at least one genuine friend of her own with Yura Ha (and maybe other members of her team, but seems to have a "best friends" sort of relationship with Yura).

So much about her attitude towards Baam hinges on the circumstances prior to climbing the Tower that it seems kind of early for people to judge her actions towards him as just being the result of jealousy or something. I think the reader is just inclined to see things from Baam's perspective because he's the protagonist.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Alpha scans do all the recent stuff and god's back about 40 chapters if the official translations annoyed you have

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-123/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=541
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-124/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=542
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-125/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=543

Motherfucker is just V from Devil May Cry lol

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gustang has no time for Traumerei to dick around. He has READING to do.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like Gustav. He seems like a cool dude. IIRC he gave Rachel her weird fish.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
fast pass wouldnt be tower of god without a tournament

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
Another long hiatus was just announced. Good on SIU, they finished the chapter just before too. Time for a reread!

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Elijah Snow posted:

Another long hiatus was just announced. Good on SIU, they finished the chapter just before too. Time for a reread!

Dude really needs to take it easy for once, let himself actually heal up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he needs to stop doing it weekly. doesn't seem anyway around it considering all the other hiatuses to try and resolve the issue have only been temporary

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm going to be disappointed if Khun and Rakk don't enter the marriage tournament.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Sindai posted:

I'm going to be disappointed if Khun and Rakk don't enter the marriage tournament.

Rachel enters and somehow wins against Khun in the tournament final.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I can't believe we're actually getting a Waifu Arc.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-130/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=544
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-130/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=545
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-130/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=546
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-130/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=547
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-130/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=548

Oh yeah them

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
And then every female character in the series comes out and they throw a huge party tournament!

I agree that Rachel winning would be the most entertaining result

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 1, 2022

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

all of the entrants just want to murder him it will be fine

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Welp, Season 2 anime announced.

Looking forward to it, especially if the soundtrack is even half as good as the first season's.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i hope it does spectacularly and we get a professional-grade translation of season 3 in anime form, 'cause i don't see how else it's going to happen :v:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
gently caress. Yes.
Okay now I instantly feel motivated to finish my reread (which tbh is mostly a reason to catch up after a long break).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I wonder how far into season 2 the anime season 2 will go, because the written one is 5x as long as season 1.