Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

Had a little tear at this, not going to lie

Same.

Our descent into fascism genuinely terrifies me, and it's one of the main catalysts fuelling my mental health spirals. Having Patel and Truss publicly and very visibly fail like this feels loving amazing. Relish the win my friend.

e: "43", a song by Level 42 on the album Level 42.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

quote:

This morning, Liz Truss said the first plane will take off today even if it is only carrying one migrant. The Supreme Court ruling means this condition will be met.

Owned lol

Edit:

quote:

PA understands that the appeals were considered by an out of hours judge on papers, overruling the UK rulings.

It is believed that at the present time there is not a route for the Home Office to appeal against the decision.

Double owned lol

mr_jolly fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 14, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

fuctifino posted:

Same.

Our descent into fascism genuinely terrifies me, and it's one of the main catalysts fuelling my mental health spirals. Having Patel and Truss publicly and very visibly fail like this feels loving amazing. Relish the win my friend.

:hfive:

Yeah, between this and imminent global omnicide it's all a bit tough at the moment. Message me if you wanna talk, man. I'm always around.

But also yeah, in the present, for now, I'm delighted and - not going to lie - amazed that some combination of people and professionals (who are also people, but you know what I mean) managed to halt this atrocity, even if only for a few hours, days or weeks

Just for now, but at least for now, eh

mr_jolly posted:

Owned lol

lmao

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Feels like this was planned TBH.

N.I. protocol, lefty European lawyers interfering with are sovereignty, clearly we didn't brexit hard enough.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

escapegoat posted:

N.I. protocol, lefty European lawyers interfering with are sovereignty, clearly we didn't brexit hard enough.

This occurred to me about three minutes ago and I got a sinking feeling but gently caress it, I'll enjoy the next 24 hours or so before another Good Thing is bulldozed by A Bad Thing again

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Yeah, we're on the hell timeline remember. Boris is going distract from <points at everything> by throwing hand grenades into everything. That includes removing us from the ECHR, tearing up the Brexit agreement and the NI accord and basically going full dictator. If people are focussed on chaos elsewhere, they won't care too much about partygate.

We're on the road to full-on fascism, and I don't think there's anything anyone can do to stop it.

But I really do believe they wanted that flight to take off, so I'll take it as a win.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Didn't they do the whole racebaiting "single black economic migrants who belong in Africa anyway" thing? Because this doesn't look like a group of African economic migrants to me:

Sky News posted:

The four potential deportees who lost High Court bids earlier to avoid being put on the plane include:

• an Iraqi Kurd who had suffered PTSD in Turkey while travelling to the UK and had brought a claim asking not to be removed due to his mental health and his relationship with his sister, who lives in the UK
• a Vietnamese man who claimed to have received death threats from loan sharks in Vietnam who was also denied after the judge rejected an argument that he was denied translation services
• a man who travelled to the UK from Iran with his 21-year-old son and had asked the court to prevent his removal due to his mental health and a right to a family life
• an application by a Kurdish man who was also refused permission to appeal.

And those are the ones who lost. Wonder how bad were the ones who get removed right away. Well there was that Iranian police chief who refused to order the shooting of protesters, that was a good one too. Real reward for moral self-sacrifice there.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dogatron posted:

I don't know about the history of this post, but that is some sick distasteful poo poo. Ash Crimson- you should be loving ashamed.

Ash Crimson posted:

He was 12 years old ok, thats old enough to have a job, a car and a house and enough room for a swimming pool and a pony

Let's not forget this earlier comment too which seemed off at the time.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

Let's not forget this earlier comment too which seemed off at the time.

Oh hey what's the genocide denial redtext about? It says Ask, so, :v:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Oh hey what's the genocide denial redtext about? It says Ask, so, :v:

Oh I'm literally the reincarnation of Hitler, obviously.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

feedmegin posted:

Oh I'm literally the reincarnation of Hitler, obviously.

bit cavalier, this

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
my dad had a cavalier

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

escapegoat posted:

They were wanting to scrap Human Rights and rewrite it even before the vote was cast for Brexit.
This could be the start of them doing so.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

lol gently caress off, yes, if I said something entirely different from what I said then it would mean something entirely different from what I originally meant & I'd be goose stepping my way to a Tommy Robinson rally. That's a brilliant observation, absolutely staggeringly astute, you should write for The Guardian

I did say I saw your point of view, I don't want to deal with them either. Nonetheless I was being overly flippant and I apologise.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

my dad had a cavalier

Yeah we know, we wish he hadn't

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

happyhippy posted:

They were wanting to scrap Human Rights and rewrite it even before the vote was cast for Brexit.
This could be the start of them doing so.

Given the examples they chose it really might be them trying to push/establish boundaries on the first go.

I don't doubt they could have found a single planeful of actual economic migrants somewhere.

e: As in it looks like they went out of their way to find actual refugees. I mean come on, a former police chief pursued by one of the most murderous and UK-hostile regimes in the world, how is that an economic migrant by any possible measure.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 15, 2022

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The Boris administration clearly has a really stupid game-plan in mind where they pick a fight with lawyers and the ECHR to look tough to their base of gammons after a series of bruisings but there's no saying it will go well, and failing to dispatch a single person on their stupid hateful plane is definitely a miss for them.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Private Speech posted:

I mean come on, a former police chief pursued by one of the most murderous and UK-hostile regimes in the world, how is that an economic migrant by any possible measure.

i guess not being dead is normally good for one's spending power. a clear example of selfish money-hungry behaviour

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Angepain posted:

i guess not being dead is normally good for one's spending power. a clear example of selfish money-hungry behaviour

I mean, who looks at this:

BBC posted:

The former commander, who is not being named in order to protect his identity, was sentenced by an Iranian military court to almost five years in jail and a demotion for refusing to shoot protesters during anti-government demonstrations in Iran in 2019 triggered by a sharp rise in petrol prices. He was in charge of 60 police officers at the time.

The former commander had faced being flown to the African nation on Tuesday. He had said he feared being found and killed by Iranian agents there.

The man had previously given testimony in the UK to an investigation into alleged Iranian atrocities in 2019.

and thinks yeah, that's a good example of an economic migrant.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I expect that refusing to shoot protestors as a cop would enjoy bipartisan condemnation tbh.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol okay then https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1536838184360894464?s=20&t=QC_zPoxYeXqOY34Qex6P5A

finally separation of church and state I guess

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

josh04 posted:

The Boris administration clearly has a really stupid game-plan in mind where they pick a fight with lawyers and the ECHR to look tough to their base of gammons after a series of bruisings but there's no saying it will go well, and failing to dispatch a single person on their stupid hateful plane is definitely a miss for them.

Absolutely.

If there's one thing I've learned from End Stage Capitalism it's that there is nothing - No Thing - it can't reverse or pervert in practically an instant. Nothing. It will take anything decent and make it obscene, because that's how power works.

But for this short interval, I am absolutely delirious that they failed to dispatch a single person on their stupid hateful plane. Just for now.

gently caress the Tory Party, and its every member, and its every supporter. gently caress you.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

How did he get here? Are they picking people that crossed in dinghies and paid people smugglers?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
cunts

imagine being the pilot of that plane, how could you sleep at night if you did that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On top of a pile of pilot money, one assumes.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
or cabin crew

offering people refreshments while they're being banished

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How did he get here? Are they picking people that crossed in dinghies and paid people smugglers?

He flew in from Turkey after illegally crossing the border on the run from the law. The way you're supposed to get in as a refugee!

I mean I guess he didn't fly in from Iran. Bit hard to do I imagine if you're (very much) wanted by the police.

e: And the Dublin agreement about safe countries (not sure if that applies anymore anyway since Brexit) only applies to the EU, not the whole world.

e2: It doesn't:

some official page posted:

The Dublin Regulation (also known as Dublin III) is EU law setting out which country is responsible for looking at an individual’s asylum application. This is usually the country where the asylum seeker first arrives in the EU. The Dublin Regulation applies to EU Member States and Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. The UK was bound by the Dublin Regulation until 31 December 2020.

In September 2020, the EU adopted the New Pact on Migration and Asylum after consultations with the European Parliament, Member States and others. The New Pact sets out that no Member State should disproportionately take responsibility but that all should participate.

In 2021, the UK Government announced plans to overhaul its asylum system. These plans have been met with criticism and concern from some EU Member States and the UN.

As the UK is no longer bound by the Dublin Regulation there are significant questions regarding whether the UK can return asylum seekers to the EU without a replacement returns mechanism. The UK Government has expressed its intention to agree bilateral deals with EU Member States for this purpose, however a number of EU Member States have said they will not agree to these.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 15, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

dunno what to say really. cunts

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Don't pick on the poor camp guards and flight attendants. They are just following orders.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The UK basically uses a massive loophole https://www.amnesty.org.uk/right-asylum

You have a right to asylum, but you don't have a right to enter the country illegally to seek it. Then they close the border for people without right of travel (aka a visa), so you can only arrive in the UK to seek asylum by crossing illegally, so they can deport you.

It's reusing the successful strategy many countries used to force Jewish refugees back into the grip of the Holocaust in the 1930s/40s and you can bet the modern Tory party are hard and throbbing to reuse it.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Private Speech posted:

I mean, who looks at this:

and thinks yeah, that's a good example of an economic migrant.

did nazanin zaghawi get back yet or are iran going to be able to turn around and state the uk just violated a condition that wont be mentioned

that's basically the only thing I can think of here. I mean turkey's defence of its attempts to ethnic cleanse kurdistan is that "kurds arent real", and I expect tories to be fine with this, but this dude looks like minister patel is actually a communist desperately attempting to find a way to sabotage the conservative party.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

TwoShanks posted:

"Skipping the dentist" makes it sound like a choice. I have a broken tooth but, and I quote, "tooth pain, no matter how bad, is not classed as an emergency". Every dentist within 15 miles of me is either not accepting new NHS patients or is willing to put me on a waiting list of "about two years". Literally every one of them happily offered to see me as a private patient though.

Sounds like that should be made illegal.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

His Divine Shadow posted:

Sounds like that should be made illegal.

You first.

No seriously the state of dental health care in Finland is abysmal.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Any progress is racist progress in the ol' kingdoms.

It is funny to see Britain who has a head of state that is apparently chosen by god, criticize Iran for having clerics in governments

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lmao if the racist plane is the reason why the UK becomes a secular republic

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

endlessmonotony posted:

You first.

No seriously the state of dental health care in Finland is abysmal.

What's your point? I know it's lovely here too, and would welcome some reform that's not privatize more.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

lmao if the racist plane is the reason why the UK becomes a secular republic

Did like the big mail headline STAY OUT OF POLITICS CHARLES YOU WILL NOT STOP US

Sausage finger man said it really was appalling and now I think Cromwell was right???

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I see the EU is back to suing the UK now. Wonder what will happen when the EU makes a summary judgment and the UK says "no, to the contrary" and continues setting constituent parts of itself on fire.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/thisisAlanTurk/status/1536649829819949057

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I see the EU is back to suing the UK now. Wonder what will happen when the EU makes a summary judgment and the UK says "no, to the contrary" and continues setting constituent parts of itself on fire.

Sanctions, quite possibly.