Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Wanna do a knee test?

I will not make the knee test! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I will not make the knee test! :mad:

Don't do this during your speech!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Shave Tall, Jump Tall, and Crouch Tall

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

I think it's still Yvonne Freese as she played GPC on the tours.

Yeah, it is. they mentioned it at one of the talkbacks. Yvonne also wrote for Dr. Mordred (and, I'm sure, others).

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Deathstalker is really just an absolutely bewildering movie. There are so many absurd bits, but I think my favorite is in the final duel when ol' Stalky is fighting the Dan Castellaneta-looking villain (who is wearing a woman's blouse, tights, and Ugg boots), and the villain inexplicably vanishes for an entire scene while DS fights a different character.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Hazo posted:

Deathstalker is really just an absolutely bewildering movie. There are so many absurd bits, but I think my favorite is in the final duel when ol' Stalky is fighting the Dan Castellaneta-looking villain (who is wearing a woman's blouse, tights, and Ugg boots), and the villain inexplicably vanishes for an entire scene while DS fights a different character.

This film allowed two actors to put "stage fighting" on their resumes. :v:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY! Live at the Metrodome: TRUXARTIS

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hazo posted:

It's kind of funny how the evil torture lady just gets to hang out with no comeuppance.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This film allowed two actors to put "stage fighting" on their resumes. :v:

🎶As we begiiiiiin the beguiiiiiine….🎶

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

muscles like this! posted:

It's kind of funny how the evil torture lady just gets to hang out with no comeuppance.

:j: "I wouldn't have really killed you...I find older men very attractive."

:corsair: "Oh man, gotta tell Radagast about this..."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Amazon is recommending Bendy merch to me. What do I do?

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
When Bendy comes, those of us with proper shrines in our homes will be the most favored.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I still don't know what Bendy is and I refuse to find out.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Me neither! He's Bendy!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sydney Bottocks posted:

:j: "I wouldn't have really killed you...I find older men very attractive."

:corsair: "Oh man, gotta tell Radagast about this..."

That part was also weird where she cuts the wizard's throat, he gets a death line and then he's just fine?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like that they write all the advertisements like that's the joke.

I rewatched Merlin's Mystical Shop of Ernest Borgnine in the background and I had forgotten about all the layers of plagiarism. Trying to repurpose his own Stephen King knock-off horror flick for a family-friendly movie is funny enough, but it's not like the first story isn't a cheap horror anthology story, either, and it's the only other story in the "anthology." I get running out of money and repurposing half of an old movie to pad the movie you're making, but... what... were they making? The Princess Bride-esque frame story and Merlin's shop feel totally at odds with the low budget Tales from the Crypt thing with the mall store reviewer guy (which also feels like a Stephen King short story). I would love for them to interview someone from that movie.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I like that they write all the advertisements like that's the joke.

I rewatched Merlin's Mystical Shop of Ernest Borgnine in the background and I had forgotten about all the layers of plagiarism. Trying to repurpose his own Stephen King knock-off horror flick for a family-friendly movie is funny enough, but it's not like the first story isn't a cheap horror anthology story, either, and it's the only other story in the "anthology." I get running out of money and repurposing half of an old movie to pad the movie you're making, but... what... were they making? The Princess Bride-esque frame story and Merlin's shop feel totally at odds with the low budget Tales from the Crypt thing with the mall store reviewer guy (which also feels like a Stephen King short story). I would love for them to interview someone from that movie.

I wish that Ernest Borgnine could have told the story without killing a kid's dog, but he apparently thought that was important to demonstrate the evil capacity of a toy monkey with cymbals.

And the person they need to interview is Merlin's wife.

ROCK N ROLL MARTIAN

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

That part was also weird where she cuts the wizard's throat, he gets a death line and then he's just fine?

I remember one of the zombie guys Truxartis (at the Metrodome!) resurrected showed up like shortly afterwards, chased the evil torture lady off, told the old wizard "you're gonna be fine!" and then started laughing uproariously, so there's that.

It was the "You always were a good judge of men, Deathstalker" zombie guy. Not the "GUESS WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING! :gizz::buddy:" one.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

You guys thinking about leaving the Bronx?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drunkencarp posted:

When Bendy comes, those of us with proper shrines in our homes will be the most favored.

Where does Bendy fit in God's plan for us, Mike?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Angry_Ed posted:

Where does Bendy fit in God's plan for us, Mike?

You'll be the first to die!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

See here's his problem, going around town dressed like that, asking women "Have you seen my little monkey?"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

This is a very deep cut, and probably nobody will have any idea what the hell I'm talking about, but it's something that's been on my mind since Bendy was introduced.

I honestly thought Bendy had something to do with Paul Sabourin and Greg "Storm" DiCostanzo, the two guys who've done most of the music and lyrics for the show since the Netflix reboot. They were one half of a now-defunct comedy a cappella musical quartet called Da Vinci's Notebook, who were active from the late 90s until around the mid-2000s. They did a mix of original songs and Weird Al-style parodies. If you know anything about them, it's probably their song "Enormous Penis," or you caught them on Comedy Central or the Bob & Tom Show. After the group stopped performing, Paul and Storm kept doing their own projects.

Anyway, their first album (1997) was called "Bendy's Law." The titular "Bendy" was a little vinyl posable figurine they used as a good luck charm on tour.

So yeah, it's pretty obscure but the connection has been bugging me. I still refuse to find out more though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

quote:

now-defunct

fuuuuuuuckdammit

And just when I'd finally mastered being able to mumblingly rattle off "So you don't play ball like Sammy Sosa, so you'll never fly to Toronto, rent a Miata, drive to the border, go in a barrel down Niagara Falls" while someone in the car stares at me in confusion

e: oh well, there's always "the mister resisted, the sister persisted, when I kissed her all loyalty slipped, when she said I could have her, her sister's cadaver must surely have turned in its crypt, yes yes yes yeeees"

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 14, 2022

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Hazo posted:

I honestly thought Bendy had something to do with Paul Sabourin and Greg "Storm" DiCostanzo, the two guys who've done most of the music and lyrics for the show since the Netflix reboot. They were one half of a now-defunct comedy a cappella musical quartet called Da Vinci's Notebook, who were active from the late 90s until around the mid-2000s. They did a mix of original songs and Weird Al-style parodies. If you know anything about them, it's probably their song "Enormous Penis," or you caught them on Comedy Central or the Bob & Tom Show. After the group stopped performing, Paul and Storm kept doing their own projects.

I actually knew of them from when they did some stuff for Homestar Runner (The Ballad of The Sneak, for starters). Sad to hear they're defunct :(

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Data Graham posted:

fuuuuuuuckdammit

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Sad to hear they're defunct :(

Sorry you had to find out this way. :( I went to high school in Indianapolis and I listened to them all the time on Bob and Tom.

If it helps I think they're still all on good terms and perform occasionally. One of the last things they did was The Captain's Wife's Lament, which was funny but basically a retread of Another Irish Drinking Song, which itself was essentially the Irish Drinking Song gag from the Drew Carey run of Whose Line is it Anyway.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I had no idea Paul and Storm were in DaVinci’s Notebook, and I also had no idea DaVinci’s Notebook did the Ballad of the Sneak. Everything I enjoyed about the early 2000’s has started running together.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I take a look at my enormous penis~~~

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just got done watching the latest Mads riff (Cosmos: Battle of the Planets) and man, there sure were a lot of movies where the entire plot is just astronauts end up on a planet where they run into the ruins of an advanced alien civilization.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

verbal enema posted:

I take a look at my enormous penis~~~

(my brontosaurus) :dong:🦕

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Just got done watching the latest Mads riff (Cosmos: Battle of the Planets) and man, there sure were a lot of movies where the entire plot is just astronauts end up on a planet where they run into the ruins of an advanced alien civilization.

I've noticed that just watching Missile to the Moon and Cat Women of the Moon on the Rifftrax Twitch channel. And then there are plenty of exotic spacewomen who are very interested in the Earth men who've come along. What was the one MST3k did where the astronauts all paired off with the alien women, despite having wives at home?

Which, I recall, also an issue in Russia's Alaskan colony. The missionaries did not take kindly to colonial bigamy by the fur trappers.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Keromaru5 posted:

I've noticed that just watching Missile to the Moon and Cat Women of the Moon on the Rifftrax Twitch channel. And then there are plenty of exotic spacewomen who are very interested in the Earth men who've come along. What was the one MST3k did where the astronauts all paired off with the alien women, despite having wives at home?

Which, I recall, also an issue in Russia's Alaskan colony. The missionaries did not take kindly to colonial bigamy by the fur trappers.

I think you're thinking of Fire Maidens of Outer Space, though I don't think the one married guy paired up with one of the titular Fire Maidens, but the single guys on the ship couldn't wait to meet those dames, yessirree.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think you're thinking of Fire Maidens of Outer Space, though I don't think the one married guy paired up with one of the titular Fire Maidens, but the single guys on the ship couldn't wait to meet those dames, yessirree.

Huh. I thought I remembered the bots specifically calling them out on that. Oh well. Memory's funky.

EDIT: Now I'm watching the episode. There are definitely worse ways to spend my time.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 15, 2022

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

There it is. Servo: "Wait a minute, these guys are married. I call foul!"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Keromaru5 posted:

There it is. Servo: "Wait a minute, these guys are married. I call foul!"

I'll have to rewatch it again myself, I might have mixed it up with another black and white sci-fi flick that featured lunkheaded scientists who traveled to an alien planet populated by nubile young women. :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was rewatching The Violent Years and for some reason Mike's "This is a difficult area of the dialectic" just slew me.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
one of the greatest running gags / things they worked into the show is that letter the little girl sent when she called Crow "Art" and then using that as his name that only Pearl calls him

wonder how that lady feels about that nowadays probably thinks that kicks rear end i know i would

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
After watching the most recent The Mads Are Back with Jonah as their special guest, my brother and I decided "what the heck" and rented the Santo episode that opens season 13 on the Gizmoplex. Having not really been impressed overall with the Netflix seasons (what with being the thread's resident "classic MST3K" curmudgeon and all), I figured $5 was low enough of a cost that I wouldn't be too upset if I ended up not liking the episode.

...and much to my pleasant surprise, I pretty much did like it :v: The most notable change was the riffing actually sounded a lot more natural, they allowed the jokes a lot more room to breathe, instead of trying to fill up every second of space with quips. Obviously they've got a long ways to go before they develop the casual interplay of the Joel and Mike eras, but I think they've definitely improved.

The host segments were "eh" for the most part, but then there's a lot of dud host segments in the original MST3K, too, so that didn't actually bother me a whole lot. And I actually enjoyed the "Trip into Jonah's past" and "Friendly Pro Wrestling Feud" segments (and the pro wrestling nerd in me greatly appreciated how deep they dove for Jonah's "Mean" Gene Okerlund parody, including wearing a blaze with an AWA patch on it; Okerlund started his interviewing career in the AWA before hitting it big in the WWF and later in WCW). Still not overly fond of Kinga or Max, they aren't a patch on Forrester and Frank.

Overall, I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I thought I would, and I'll probably be checking some more episodes out here and there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’m not sure what to make of the elaborate art-department props in the host segments in the Netflix era. On one hand they’re really well drawn and clearly made with most of the per-episode budget, but … on the other hand they’re really well drawn and clearly made with most of the per-episode budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Overall, I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I thought I would, and I'll probably be checking some more episodes out here and there.
Santo is probably my least favorite episode from the new season, so if you liked that, you'll love everything else. If you have to choose one, you can't beat Munchie. Also give the Emily episodes a chance -- she's a great host.