Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which game was the best?
Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
Ace Combat 2
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy
Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
SHOOT VISARI
View Results

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

“EVERYTHING THINKS THIS IS A BAD IDEA EXCEPT FOR YOU, DUMBASS!”

I think you meant Everyone in that case.

Also you made an ACAH LP without even asking me? :mad:

Also update on previous page, lol.

Edit:
The only Typhoon trivia I know is that the UK was/is desperately trying to offload their version 1 Typhoons because they can't be upgraded and therefore kinda useless after a certain point in time.
Still not sure if someone decided to get them or not by now.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Given the themes of perception vs reality running through the rest of the game, I'm not really certain how much of Labarth's confessions are true (or at least what he thinks is true) vs him trying to deflect as much blame as possible so he doesn't get dragged before whatever passes for the Hague in Strangereal. Doesn't look like we'll be finding out anytime soon, though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grizzwold posted:

Given the themes of perception vs reality running through the rest of the game, I'm not really certain how much of Labarth's confessions are true (or at least what he thinks is true) vs him trying to deflect as much blame as possible so he doesn't get dragged before whatever passes for the Hague in Strangereal. Doesn't look like we'll be finding out anytime soon, though.

That's a really good interpretation of the situation!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really love all the changes in how briefings look and sound after the comm blackout.

This whole mission is amazingly atmospheric like that.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.

Sindai posted:

I really love all the changes in how briefings look and sound after the comm blackout.

This whole mission is amazingly atmospheric like that.

It's an excellent touch that the briefing officer is manually using a mouse to interface with the maps.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of ACAH, on a whim I found out someone had made a FOV mod for it. Might give it a try at some point because going from 7 to AH really makes you realize how zoomed in the latter really is.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Corponation posted:

It's an excellent touch that the briefing officer is manually using a mouse to interface with the maps.

Yep.

Post-mission, you even have the previous briefing officer get replaced by Jaeger, who mentions that they still know the commander is alive, because they can hear him sobbing in his room.

Everything's gone to poo poo, the backup plans in the event of things going to poo poo have gone to poo poo, every higher authority is dead, out of contact, or otherwise incapacitated, and Strider doesn't even know who their enemies are.

Jaeger handles the briefings, but make no mistake. At this point, Trigger is in command to the extent anyone is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Yep.

Post-mission, you even have the previous briefing officer get replaced by Jaeger, who mentions that they still know the commander is alive, because they can hear him sobbing in his room.

Everything's gone to poo poo, the backup plans in the event of things going to poo poo have gone to poo poo, every higher authority is dead, out of contact, or otherwise incapacitated, and Strider doesn't even know who their enemies are.

Jaeger handles the briefings, but make no mistake. At this point, Trigger is in command to the extent anyone is.

Which is a really smart way of handling things from a narrative/gameplay balance perspective. Because we left the old LRSSG briefing guy behind at New Arrows/Cape Rainy, and the guy from the IUN forward operating base had a nervous breakdown after Lebarth was killed, so gently caress it, let's keep everything in-house now just to be sure. Trigger might be the one functionally in command, but Jaeger is the one with the most seniority and authority at this point, so he's going to be the team's mobile base commander from now on as they hop from place to place looking to find a way "home", whatever that looks like.

I really dig it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Corponation posted:

I love that the 'danger zone' pinches on this particular click and is fixed on the next one, like he's drawing points with the path tool and a fill in Photoshop!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Useful idea I heard once: Any time someone tries to sell you on "autonomous" technology; replace autonomous with "unsupervised" and see if you're still comfortable with the idea.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Useful idea I heard once: Any time someone tries to sell you on "autonomous" technology; replace autonomous with "unsupervised" and see if you're still comfortable with the idea.

I am actually going to add that to the post, it's such a good way of putting it.

This too.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Which is a really smart way of handling things from a narrative/gameplay balance perspective. Because we left the old LRSSG briefing guy behind at New Arrows/Cape Rainy, and the guy from the IUN forward operating base had a nervous breakdown after Lebarth was killed, so gently caress it, let's keep everything in-house now just to be sure. Trigger might be the one functionally in command, but Jaeger is the one with the most seniority and authority at this point, so he's going to be the team's mobile base commander from now on as they hop from place to place looking to find a way "home", whatever that looks like.

I really dig it.
While I understand why Jaeger steps up and takes over the briefings, I find it weird that Long Caster doesn't take up that mantle. Being the AWACS operator, he essentially is the equivalent of a middle manager on the battlefield (observing unit movements, coordinating with all pilots/important named people, issuing orders, etc.), so one would assume Long Caster could easily slot in as an interim briefing officer because explaining the battlefield to the pilots under his command (and the player) is his job.

Plus, it'd be a quick and easy callback to Assault Horizon Legacy, where Keynote did double duty as briefing officer and AWACS operator.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

While I understand why Jaeger steps up and takes over the briefings, I find it weird that Long Caster doesn't take up that mantle. Being the AWACS operator, he essentially is the equivalent of a middle manager on the battlefield (observing unit movements, coordinating with all pilots/important named people, issuing orders, etc.), so one would assume Long Caster could easily slot in as an interim briefing officer because explaining the battlefield to the pilots under his command (and the player) is his job.

Plus, it'd be a quick and easy callback to Assault Horizon Legacy, where Keynote did double duty as briefing officer and AWACS operator.

It is interesting how 7 goes out of its way to show that your wingmen exist outside of combat, yet Long Caster has seemingly no presence outside of missions.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Long Caster is too busy with a Scooby-Doo sandwich that is as tall as he is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also don’t worry. The big AHL callback… is coming :getin:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Quoting myself from Faceless Soldier days-

Paingod556 posted:

Also I'm sure there'll be a more relevant time to discuss this later, but nothings been explained this operation. We have even more questions- why were they marked as friendly? Why did they only show up after the radar was taken down? Why did we start getting loving Hrimfaxi'd at the same time? The biggest question is the fact that unlike every other time you get bounced- Gelb in AC0, Aquila in AC04, you get no enemy chatter at all. They just form up and start shooting

And theres the answer- more Erusian drone fuckery BELKAN WITCHCRAFT. Specifically their false flag models with IFF spoofing.

And I don't believe its outright explained, but the theory I've always followed is-

1- the drone network sics drones on any Osea aircraft that it detects
2- 444 was detected in the mountains
3- network AI sent in nearest drones, which were the Hornet mimics
4- Erusia notices, freaks out that this might expose their secret assassin robots
5- << Helios missiles incoming! >> to kill the witnesses and destroy the evidence

nine-gear crow posted:

It is interesting how 7 goes out of its way to show that your wingmen exist outside of combat, yet Long Caster has seemingly no presence outside of missions.

Hes the Snacko, too busy stocking the fridge with food, mostly for himself.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

chiasaur11 posted:

Yep.

While the manual briefings and Jaeger taking over are both great, I feel like the greatest touch to show how absolutely hosed everything is is what you don't hear.

Namely, the briefing/hangar music, or more accurately the lack thereof. The silence is deafening.

Hell, not only that but the briefing itself. Labarthe will be there, Strider will be in the air, and god only knows what else is out there.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 14, 2022

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
We've know since the 80's that autonomous AI robots with guns are a BAD idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFvqDaFpXeM

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Dr. Snark posted:

While the manual briefings and Jaeger taking over are both great, I feel like the greatest touch to show how absolutely hosed everything is is what you don't hear.

Namely, the briefing/hangar music, or more accurately the lack thereof. The silence is deafening.
Yeah, that’s my favorite touch out of all the details in this arc.

Waffleman_ posted:

Long Caster is too busy with a Scooby-Doo sandwich that is as tall as he is.

Hey man, he gets really hungry when he works, and now with the LRSSG not knowing when (or even if) the next resupply to this base is coming…

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 14, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Long Caster offscreen:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alternate joke: He's absolutely inconsolable because DoorDash doesn't work anymore

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I want to scream that IFF is much simpler and elegant in the real world than this Internet of Things nonsense that Strangereal apparently uses, but I guess then we'd not have a game.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That implies the MIC not having tried to sell a system like that, or will try to do so in the future at some point.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kw0134 posted:

I want to scream that IFF is much simpler and elegant in the real world than this Internet of Things nonsense that Strangereal apparently uses, but I guess then we'd not have a game.

Tbh, this kind of thing in general is why I've completely checked out on this game's plot. These writers have an axe to grind and a message they want to share, and to hell with any of it actually making sense.

It's a gorgeous game that looks really fun to play, but the story and characters are so drat obnoxious.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

So Last Hope is actually my favorite mission in the game, DLC included

Great soundtrack, good atmosphere, I don't actually hate the IFF mechanic the way its used here with the skyline interfering with visuals, the plot's going off the rails and finally getting to the point its trying to make, just an all around great mission imo. Also one of the few that's actually tense the whole way through, since the IFF mechanics and the terrain mean you have to actually expose yourself to enemy fire a lot of the time instead of just outpacing every missile fired at you and forgetting gunfire exists. It's hell on ace though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They must be allergic to laying undersea cables. Probably insufficiently airborne.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cooked Auto posted:

Speaking of ACAH, on a whim I found out someone had made a FOV mod for it. Might give it a try at some point because going from 7 to AH really makes you realize how zoomed in the latter really is.

post it. please. just post.

I flew in first person in AH more than any other ace combat, because of the double bonus of FOV and less camera fuckery in DFM.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

goatface posted:

They must be allergic to laying undersea cables. Probably insufficiently airborne.

I mention this in the posts, but part of a Kessler syndrome thought experiment posits that landline communication would be severely overtaxed in the initial wake of a complete wipeout of low Earth orbit satellites. Three weeks still seems like it’s the “initial” days for such a crisis, I’d say.

Though just wait, you will slowly see communications start to come back online in a limited capacity as we progress through the last remainder of the game.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Psion posted:

post it. please. just post.

I flew in first person in AH more than any other ace combat, because of the double bonus of FOV and less camera fuckery in DFM.

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/2109-ace-combat-assault-horizon-field-of-view-mod/

I have yet to test this myself though so no idea which version is the correct one to pick.

Doubt it's going to fix all that much but I did realize that ACAH is way too zoomed in on the planes compared to AC7, thus giving you less awareness of your surroundings in 3rd person.
Not to mention playing annoying. :v:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I mention this in the posts, but part of a Kessler syndrome thought experiment posits that landline communication would be severely overtaxed in the initial wake of a complete wipeout of low Earth orbit satellites. Three weeks still seems like it’s the “initial” days for such a crisis, I’d say.

Though just wait, you will slowly see communications start to come back online in a limited capacity as we progress through the last remainder of the game.

Satellites don't do all that much of bulk comms. Niche things, but not much general communications. It's too energy intensive.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Looked up Slaughterbots on Wikipedia, neat that it was shown at the UN to get across things that just aren't conveyed with words like 'armed quadcopter'

Also there was a naysayer who seems to be the exact stereotype of the dumbass touting their invincibility in a horror flick, and surprise surprise he's with the Center for a New American Security, saying:

quote:

"Every military technology has a countermeasure, and countermeasures against small drones aren't even hypothetical. The U.S. government is actively working on ways to shoot down, jam, fry, hack, ensnare, or otherwise defeat small drones. The microdrones in the video could be defeated by something as simple as chicken wire. The video shows heavier-payload drones blasting holes through walls so that other drones can get inside, but the solution is simply layered defenses."

Clearly proving they missed all of the points
  • Evolving autonomous weapons can find ways around your countermeasures
  • These sort of things could be turned on civilians who don't have an anti-drone 'defense in depth' strategy
  • not all countermeasures work 100% of the time
  • etc.

They were also against signing a law against developing autonomous weapons since terrorists could still make them anyways, with the very clear implication that he wants them for America first.

Just amazing how much he seems to be trying to be the real life version of Dr.Warcrimes and the young Ereusian warhawks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Young Erusean Officers are the only force that rivals Belka in its ability to bring ruin.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ashsaber posted:

Looked up Slaughterbots on Wikipedia, neat that it was shown at the UN to get across things that just aren't conveyed with words like 'armed quadcopter'

Also there was a naysayer who seems to be the exact stereotype of the dumbass touting their invincibility in a horror flick, and surprise surprise he's with the Center for a New American Security, saying:

• These sort of things could be turned on civilians who don't have an anti-drone 'defense in depth' strategy
  • etc.

They were also against signing a law against developing autonomous weapons since terrorists could still make them anyways, with the very clear implication that he wants them for America first.

Just amazing how much he seems to be trying to be the real life version of Dr.Warcrimes and the young Ereusian warhawks.

Not that Ace Combat gives a poo poo about things like supplies, but one of the inherently limiting factors to any 'robot uprising' is that machines are not perpetual motion engines. They only have so much ammunition and fuel, and modern weapons require huge maintenance tails.

A rogue drone might kill a few people but then it would be out of missiles and crash for lack of fuel shortly thereafter.

You'd have to posit not only automated weapon systems, but resupply, maintenance, and refueling infrastructure being automated and going rogue in exactly the same way that's fully compatible with however the drone has gone rogue.

At that point you're in a completely absurd Skynet scenario where humanity has turned over its entire military-industrial apparatus to an AI.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Not that Ace Combat gives a poo poo about things like supplies, but one of the inherently limiting factors to any 'robot uprising' is that machines are not perpetual motion engines. They only have so much ammunition and fuel, and modern weapons require huge maintenance tails.

A rogue drone might kill a few people but then it would be out of missiles and crash for lack of fuel shortly thereafter.

You'd have to posit not only automated weapon systems, but resupply, maintenance, and refueling infrastructure being automated and going rogue in exactly the same way that's fully compatible with however the drone has gone rogue.

At that point you're in a completely absurd Skynet scenario where humanity has turned over its entire military-industrial apparatus to an AI.

To be fair, the drones in Ace Combat haven't gone rogue (at least, not yet). They're operating exactly according to their orders. It's just that their orders are coming from a small group of radicals, letting the Erusians fight a lot longer without having to put their own lives on the line.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ashsaber posted:

• etc.

I love how he thinks it's perfectly okay for people to have to live behind layered defences for the rest of their lives

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

And by people he means his fellow upper class fuckers, the rest will just have to live with it being a constant threat.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Veloxyll posted:

I love how he thinks it's perfectly okay for people to have to live behind layered defences for the rest of their lives

I could say something about the mindset implied by calling laws that allow you to shoot someone when you feel threatened "castle doctrine" but I suspect we'd be here all day

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Phy posted:

I could say something about the mindset implied by calling laws that allow you to shoot someone when you feel threatened "castle doctrine" but I suspect we'd be here all day

Castle doctrine is shooting someone (ostensibly) attempting a home invasion. You're thinking of Stand Your Ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cooked Auto posted:

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/2109-ace-combat-assault-horizon-field-of-view-mod/

I have yet to test this myself though so no idea which version is the correct one to pick.

Doubt it's going to fix all that much but I did realize that ACAH is way too zoomed in on the planes compared to AC7, thus giving you less awareness of your surroundings in 3rd person.
Not to mention playing annoying. :v:

I'll give it a try, but it looks like there's the "use cheat engine yourself" version, the "I did that and made a custom exe" version, and the "here's how to make your own custom exe" version so I guess it depends on how much you trust executables off the internet and/or are comfortable with cheat engine.

AH's biggest sin in terms of the camera is the third person FOV of about 5 degrees so this ought to be good if it works!