Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Cooked Auto posted:

And new shades too, the old ones are still around by having been reformulated to increase flow a bit.

Not gonna lie, I'm very interested in that Soulblight Grey shade wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm very interested in that Soulblight Grey shade wash.

Finally, a wash to make my models look like 3d printing STL preview images

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Mortarion Grime looks like it'll be perfect for retro Deathwing terminators

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Eej posted:

Finally, a wash to make my models look like 3d printing STL preview images

Well poo poo, when you put it that way, now I really want it :v:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

At first glance Tyran Blue shade seems ideal if you want to make a model kinda sorta blue in a blotchy way, and cant be bothered loving up the dilution of some blue paint yourself. And if I'm reading this right, the new shades arent replacing the old, so GW are going to be selling 4 seperate green washes? Like I enjoy a bespoke wash, but that feels slightly excessive.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SiKboy posted:

At first glance Tyran Blue shade seems ideal if you want to make a model kinda sorta blue in a blotchy way, and cant be bothered loving up the dilution of some blue paint yourself. And if I'm reading this right, the new shades arent replacing the old, so GW are going to be selling 4 seperate green washes? Like I enjoy a bespoke wash, but that feels slightly excessive.

my ice recipe requires a really lovely, patchy blue wash over a blue-green followed by an off white drybrush. so i'm kinda excited cause I normally use the gulliman blue glaze and they don't make it any more. A smart person would just mix their own with blue ink but i'm lazy

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SiKboy posted:

It's not, really, especially when you're catering to an audience that doesn't have the art background to mix their own washes. Secondary colours have a lot of variation in them and if I'm reading the images right you're gonna have Biel-Tan as a Neutral Green, Coelia is your Deep Blue Green, Poxwalker is a lighter Blue Green and Kroak is a light Yellow Green. You could slap each wash (maybe not Kroak) onto the same green base and end up with great skin tone variation for an Ork army. You could probably individualize every Boy if you just do a random mix of the washes too for little effort.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm unironically excited for some of the blue shades so I can have more flavors to pick from

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also is there a good contrast pink color? I tried the one that starts with a V (volupus?) And it's very magenta

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Work in progress wednesdays will be moved to mondays, however, the name will stay the same.

Show me what youve got.

A plague marine im working on

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Is there a good out of the box snow base product?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I don't like the current contrast blues, so I'm excited that there might be better ones coming. Also that Burgundy looks fantastic.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Any recommendations for magnifiers? Once the sun goes down and my eyes start getting tired it’s a lot harder to see the details to paint them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I've had success with the Army Painter one, but baking powder (not soda) is good in a pinch.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I went with the warmer scheme and you know what? I love it.

wins32767 posted:

Any recommendations for magnifiers? Once the sun goes down and my eyes start getting tired it’s a lot harder to see the details to paint them.

If you can see the models just fine in daylight then it sounds like you should just get better lighting. Two IKEA Tertials with daylight bulbs on either side of your workspace should get your sorted out and prevent eyestrain as it gets darker.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I've used Gorilla super glue gel for years and loved it, but the last four bottles I've bought from different suppliers on Amazon have all been dried out/too goopy to use without digging the glue out with a toothpick. Has anyone else encountered this? Or is it just another case of shady suppliers on Amazon?

At any rate, does anyone have any good recommendations for other reliable kinds of superglue and/or places to get good quality Gorilla super glue? I'm in the UK.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

MeinPanzer posted:

I've used Gorilla super glue gel for years and loved it, but the last four bottles I've bought from different suppliers on Amazon have all been dried out/too goopy to use without digging the glue out with a toothpick. Has anyone else encountered this? Or is it just another case of shady suppliers on Amazon?

At any rate, does anyone have any good recommendations for other reliable kinds of superglue and/or places to get good quality Gorilla super glue? I'm in the UK.

In in the US, so this may not apply, but all the big box home improvement retailers here (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) all carry Gorilla super glues, as well as most craft stores.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
OATHBREAKER! KINSLAYER! DESERTER! YOUR LEGACY IS WRITTEN IN BLOOD, AND ALL YOU KNEW SHALL FALL UNDER THIS CURSE BECAUSE OF YOUR ACTIONS! YOU WILL BE TOGETHER IN DEATH, FORCED TO WREAK YOUR REVENGE FOREVER! THAT IS MY PROMISE: DOOM FOR ALL YOUR LINE UNTIL DOOM TO YOUR GREATEST KING! WITNESS NOW WHAT YOUR CONFLICT HAS WROUGHT. A MURDERER SAVAGED YOUR FAMILIES. A LIAR LED YOUR MEN. AN USURPER CLAIMED YOUR THRONES. AND A COWARD SQUANDERED THEM ALL. THIS IS WHAT BECAME OF YOUR LINE, AND NOW YOU MUST ENDURE THEIR SCORN AT YOUR SIDE FOREVER. - The Curse of Bǫlva, Lord of the Dead

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Eej posted:

It's not, really, especially when you're catering to an audience that doesn't have the art background to mix their own washes. Secondary colours have a lot of variation in them and if I'm reading the images right you're gonna have Biel-Tan as a Neutral Green, Coelia is your Deep Blue Green, Poxwalker is a lighter Blue Green and Kroak is a light Yellow Green. You could slap each wash (maybe not Kroak) onto the same green base and end up with great skin tone variation for an Ork army. You could probably individualize every Boy if you just do a random mix of the washes too for little effort.

5 green washes apparently. I was unaware of Coelia, Athonian Camoshade was my 4th...

ETA:

sasha_d3ath posted:

OATHBREAKER! KINSLAYER! DESERTER! YOUR LEGACY IS WRITTEN IN BLOOD, AND ALL YOU KNEW SHALL FALL UNDER THIS CURSE BECAUSE OF YOUR ACTIONS! YOU WILL BE TOGETHER IN DEATH, FORCED TO WREAK YOUR REVENGE FOREVER! THAT IS MY PROMISE: DOOM FOR ALL YOUR LINE UNTIL DOOM TO YOUR GREATEST KING! WITNESS NOW WHAT YOUR CONFLICT HAS WROUGHT. A MURDERER SAVAGED YOUR FAMILIES. A LIAR LED YOUR MEN. AN USURPER CLAIMED YOUR THRONES. AND A COWARD SQUANDERED THEM ALL. THIS IS WHAT BECAME OF YOUR LINE, AND NOW YOU MUST ENDURE THEIR SCORN AT YOUR SIDE FOREVER. - The Curse of Bǫlva, Lord of the Dead

These guys look neat.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lumpy posted:

In in the US, so this may not apply, but all the big box home improvement retailers here (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) all carry Gorilla super glues, as well as most craft stores.

I buy mine at the grocery store :)

Also have you guys ever noticed that some off white colors will get this weird fuzzy look to them? It's only really noticeable when zooming in really close. Not a huge issue but now I'm going to be super aware of it being a possibility

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Supposedly ‘light molding paste’ from golden is amazing snow straight out of the tub. You get a very large amount for kinda cheap and golden is also an amazing company.

E: iirc one of the big painting youtubers did a very thorough comparison of a bunch of different products, including GWs snow, and light molding paste came out as the very best

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 14, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also have you guys ever noticed that some off white colors will get this weird fuzzy look to them? It's only really noticeable when zooming in really close. Not a huge issue but now I'm going to be super aware of it being a possibility

White paint has notoriously large pigment, so anything mixed with a white paint might see that.

You could also be bumping into an issue where your paint is partially drying on the brush. Are you painting straight out of the pot, or off of a dry pallet? A wet pallet or sometimes even just wetting your brush in clean water before painting can help to prevent that.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

PoptartsNinja posted:

White paint has notoriously large pigment, so anything mixed with a white paint might see that.

You could also be bumping into an issue where your paint is partially drying on the brush. Are you painting straight out of the pot, or off of a dry pallet? A wet pallet or sometimes even just wetting your brush in clean water before painting can help to prevent that.

Wet palette and I wasn't mixing white into anything. Pretty much the recipe was scrofulous brown, sunny skin tone, pale flesh, white flesh. Then mixing a little red into the pale flesh to do the cheeks But I think it could also be that I was doing a bit of glazing and really thin layers to build up the highlights.

Wait edit no, I used monument light ochre not scrofulous brown. That could be a big part

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 14, 2022

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

You can also find Gorilla glues and all sorts of superglue-like adhesives at Wal-Mart.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
They don't have Walmart in the UK my man

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

YET.

I missed that part even though I quoted it but I'm assuming ASDA has the same stuff.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Marx Headroom posted:

They owned Asda for a bit. Asda stocks gorilla glue.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MeinPanzer posted:

I usually get whatever gel superglue they happen to have in poundland, they've sometimes had tubes of gorilla branded gel superglue, they usually have Ultraloc which works fine, my current tube is Scotch "no run gel" superglue in an applicator pack which makes impossible to gauge how much is left. I'm pretty sure Wilko stocks most of the gorilla range if there is one near you, and I think The Range carries it too.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

They owned Asda for a bit. Asda stocks gorilla glue.

My local Asda is absolute dogshit for superglue for some reason despite being a massive store, or at least it was the last time I looked. Very little choice, all of it overpriced.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I have a hard time getting excited for any specific new contrast because half of the ones in the preexisting lineup are trash and half are amazing, and there was no way to tell beforehand.

If Soulblight Gray is one of the good ones it'll be amazing

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

Wet palette and I wasn't mixing white into anything.

I wasn't saying you were, a lot of paints don't give their recipes and a lot of companies make an off white by adding white + other paint.

It might have to do with the paint brand, then.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spanish Manlove posted:

Wet palette and I wasn't mixing white into anything. Pretty much the recipe was scrofulous brown, sunny skin tone, pale flesh, white flesh. Then mixing a little red into the pale flesh to do the cheeks But I think it could also be that I was doing a bit of glazing and really thin layers to build up the highlights.

Wait edit no, I used monument light ochre not scrofulous brown. That could be a big part

Almost guaranteed that multiple colours in there have Titanium White in the mixture so you definitely were mixing white unknowingly and having the titanium particles cause you trouble.

E: woops didn't refresh the page before posting

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's no big deal since I'm painting up this model for fun and practice but yeah I'm totally betting that one of those paints had some large pigment mixed in. I feel like a weeb now but I've been liking to paint feminine faces a lot more recently because I can try for delicate, fun techniques like makeup and blush instead of just John Halo soldiers. Like in that previous image I copped out of painting eyes by trying to make the model look like she had a ton of mascara.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

So because I'm a stupid noob, I've been using the citadel paper palettes for my first squad I finished and half of my second. After seeing absolutely everyone in tutorials on youtube using wet ones, I picked up the Redgrass palette and a nicer brush for highlights since that's been a struggle with my current selection of brushes. At the very least I'm looking forward to my paint not drying immediately on a sheet of paper.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I can't go back to dry palette after using wet. The only time I do is for washes and contrast paints because I don't want it to soak through the paper into the sponge.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Nazzadan posted:

So because I'm a stupid noob, I've been using the citadel paper palettes for my first squad I finished and half of my second. After seeing absolutely everyone in tutorials on youtube using wet ones, I picked up the Redgrass palette and a nicer brush for highlights since that's been a struggle with my current selection of brushes. At the very least I'm looking forward to my paint not drying immediately on a sheet of paper.

Don't feel bad! There's a few things you'll NOT want to put on the wet palette so the paper ones aren't totally useless.

That being said, a cheap plastic palette thing from an art store will be ~2.99 and is reusable for next time

Things that may not want to be on a wet palette*:
  • Some metallics
  • Washes
  • Contrast Paint/Speedpaint
  • Stuff that separates easily
  • Textured paints

*this stuff is both super subjective but also like different from paint to paint

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

I can't go back to dry palette after using wet. The only time I do is for washes and contrast paints because I don't want it to soak through the paper into the sponge.

Literally same but I never used a dry palette.

Forreal my first ever time painting was on a kitchen sponge with some baking paper in the plastic front of a clamshell pack for a character

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I just pour paint on my cutting mat like an animal. I'm rarely painting figures lately tho, mostly terrain or small touchups.

When I can remember/ actually going to paint for more than 10 minutes, I use the 8 dish round aluminum palette i got at Michael's art supply store. At least it's easy to clean out

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Vaporware posted:

I just pour paint on my cutting mat like an animal.

Bro wtf

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Is this how people end up with pictures of minis where in the background their cutting mats look like a clown was murdered on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

First time I ever painted, was some enamel car models with whatever comes with testors paint

I hated it, thought the model took a lot of work, the paint took a lot of effort to apply correctly and had tons of streaks, the paint was thick, the instructions were poor (compared to legos at the time) and I wasn't using a palette at all

I think I was like 8-12 that range

it was enough for me to not touch the hobby until my 30s