Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
i went and got a set of dedicated kitchen needlenose that i just keep in the kitchen drawer instead of the toolbox and they are excellent for the ribs membrane

e: lmao what a snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I’ve done three racks on a 14 inch. Had to cut them in half though. I’ve heard you can also turn them sideways and curl them into each other, but some argue that curling and forcing the meat to stretch like that during a smoke may result in less tender ribs.

I usually curl it on the top grate. Comes out fine in my experience, it's just a tight fit.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

sinburger posted:

I just did three racks a few minutes ago. Worry a finger under the skin at one end, until you have a tiny bit to pull on, then use paper towel to give extra grip. The skin should peel right off.

I've found it frustratingly inconsistent. Most absolutely peel right off! But I've had more than a few experiences where the silver skin very much doesn't. I'm using the same techniques each time, so at a certain point I have to accept that each cow/pig lived it's own life and I can't control that.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Hey folks! I've just gotten a new home and looking to get a good grill, something that I can do some smoking with too, hoping to get some suggestions. I grew up cooking on a simple charcoal grill and have used gas a few times, but haven't really done much grilling in years since I've been working.

I won't need anything big - I can't imagine cooking for more than 10 people and more likely 3-4. I like charcoal but honestly the simplicity of a gas grill appeals to me at this point - is it possible to get one that works with gas but can also do charcoal if I'm feeling fancy?

I'd additionally excited to try smoking meats as a hobby so something that works well there would be great.

I'm not super budget-constrained but I don't need any super-fancy wifi-enabled nonsense, I'd more look for something that can survive New England weather and does the job well.

Any advice is appreciated!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

They do make hybrid charcoal/propane grills, although I have no experience cooking on them.

If budget is not a huge concern and you want the convenience of gas with the flavor of smoke, you might be interested in a pellet grill. Traeger is a well-regarded brand for those.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

They do make hybrid charcoal/propane grills, although I have no experience cooking on them.

If budget is not a huge concern and you want the convenience of gas with the flavor of smoke, you might be interested in a pellet grill. Traeger is a well-regarded brand for those.

I'm with Blue here, I can't imagine a gas/charcoal hybrid would do anything particularly well and if you don't want to purchase two pieces of equipment, pellet is the way to go.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

If that's the case I think I'd go with convenience over charcoal and just go with gas and maybe invest in a cheap charcoal grill to go with it. The pellet stoves sound interesting though! Would a gas / smoker be cheaper I'd imagine?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tom Tucker posted:

Hey folks! I've just gotten a new home and looking to get a good grill, something that I can do some smoking with too, hoping to get some suggestions. I grew up cooking on a simple charcoal grill and have used gas a few times, but haven't really done much grilling in years since I've been working.

I won't need anything big - I can't imagine cooking for more than 10 people and more likely 3-4. I like charcoal but honestly the simplicity of a gas grill appeals to me at this point - is it possible to get one that works with gas but can also do charcoal if I'm feeling fancy?

I'd additionally excited to try smoking meats as a hobby so something that works well there would be great.

I'm not super budget-constrained but I don't need any super-fancy wifi-enabled nonsense, I'd more look for something that can survive New England weather and does the job well.

Any advice is appreciated!

I'm really loving my Char-Griller Gravity 980. Check out it and the Masterbuilt Gravity smokers. IMO they are kind of the best of all worlds right now.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

If that's the case I think I'd go with convenience over charcoal and just go with gas and maybe invest in a cheap charcoal grill to go with it. The pellet stoves sound interesting though! Would a gas / smoker be cheaper I'd imagine?

I have a Weber gas grill and a Weber kettle. The gas grill is for parties/quick dinners and the kettle is for smoking/searing the ever living gently caress out of meat. For the gas grill we paid $600 and for the kettle we paid $200. If you take care of cleaning the gas grill one can be had for much cheaper though, our first one was a Charbroil 4 burner and we paid $240 for it and it lasted 4 years but by the end it was rusted to poo poo and the wheel was propped up with wood scraps.

When it comes to smoking I normally smoke 4-6 hours on the kettle and then wrap the meat and use my oven to finish it off.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

crondaily posted:

I have a Weber gas grill and a Weber kettle. The gas grill is for parties/quick dinners and the kettle is for smoking/searing the ever living gently caress out of meat. For the gas grill we paid $600 and for the kettle we paid $200. If you take care of cleaning the gas grill one can be had for much cheaper though, our first one was a Charbroil 4 burner and we paid $240 for it and it lasted 4 years but by the end it was rusted to poo poo and the wheel was propped up with wood scraps.

When it comes to smoking I normally smoke 4-6 hours on the kettle and then wrap the meat and use my oven to finish it off.

Similar setup here.

Weber Spirit 2, for quick dinners. Burgers, hotdogs, chicken, etc.

Weber Smokey Mountain for smoking ribs and pork butt all day.

WSM also works pretty excellent as a simple charcoal grill if you just take out the middle and put the grate on top of the charcoals. I did that for a cookout a few weeks ago and was very happy with it.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Just dropped a decent sized butt on the WSM. This will be my first night smoke. Excited to see how it turns out.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Good morning, butt!

Temp seemed to hold pretty well all night. Dipped from 235 down to about 205. Then the sun hit it and it went back up to 225. Added more Cowboy Lump, which should be enough to finish.

Meat temp was at 153, so we’re heading into the stall. Not even going to bother leaving a probe in the meat. I’m just going to check it every hour or so when I spritz. No wrapping. I’ve got all day.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have cranked up the heat to 275 to break through the stall multiple times now without any appreciable changes with the way pork butt has turned out. It'll save you at least two hours on your cook.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
yeah but he's got all day

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Butt is at 175 now and we’re about 12 hours in. I’m trying to keep the smoker temp 225-235. Feeling good that this will be done for dinner. No rush.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Please help me figure out what to get my insane parents. It's Father's day and after a week of not being able to get good information out of my mother, I have received the following information:

My dad wants a grill. My dad is not in good enough health to use a grill, nor will he be in the foreseeable future. He does not accept this and demands a charcoal grill. My mother says if we get him a grill, it has to be propane because she needs to be able to use it. You see the problem.

So my question is - are there any good grills that can do both charcoal and propane to make both of them happy so I don't have to hear about it? I'm not looking for something huge or ridiculously expensive. Definitely under $1k.

Edit:

https://www.charbroil.com/gas2coal-3-burner-hybrid-grill-463370519

How is this?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 16, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KillHour posted:

Please help me figure out what to get my insane parents. It's Father's day and after a week of not being able to get good information out of my mother, I have received the following information:

My dad wants a grill. My dad is not in good enough health to use a grill, nor will he be in the foreseeable future. He does not accept this and demands a charcoal grill. My mother says if we get him a grill, it has to be propane because she needs to be able to use it. You see the problem.

So my question is - are there any good grills that can do both charcoal and propane to make both of them happy so I don't have to hear about it? I'm not looking for something huge or ridiculously expensive. Definitely under $1k.

Edit:

How is this?

I'd look at the q series Weber stuff, it's a portable propane BBQ so when he doesn't use it anymore you can take it camping.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

KillHour posted:

Edit:

How is this?

I don't know much about those convertible grills, but if the thought is to get him one that will do both and then just trust that he'll only end up doing propane, I can't see a problem. Not sure the specifics about your dad's health, but I recently got a gravity charcoal grill (Char-Griller Gravity 980, Masterbuilt Gravity Smoker) and those are quite straightforward and for charcoal grills. My wife uses ours without an issue.

But yeah, I don't see a problem with what you linked.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The health issues prevent my dad from even really leaving his chair and my mom can't lift a bag of lump charcoal by herself because her health is garbage too. I fully expect this to be a gift for show more than anything that will get practically used, tbh.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ah, gotcha. Then it seems like VelociBacon's suggestion may be a good route to go.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Best pulled pork I ever made!

I just have way too much of it. The least I can do is give some ti my neighbors. They’ve been smelling it cook since 11:30pm last night.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just can't. I'm sorry, I can't.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm confused. What do you consider spritzing to be? And how else would you get a blackish brown bark? Pretty sure that color is only achievable with intestinal bleeding

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That dark colour you only see in upper intestinal bleeds like the stomach. Looks great!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Best pulled pork I ever made!

I just have way too much of it. The least I can do is give some ti my neighbors. They’ve been smelling it cook since 11:30pm last night.

Looks good! If you don't mind, I'm curious about how you did this as a quick recap for something for me to try next time.

It sounds like you put it on to smoke overnight; how long did it go "unattended"?
Did you just use charcoal only for smoking, or did you have other chunks in there as well?
It sounds like you kept it around 225 as best you could and left it unwrapped the whole time. At what time did you start spritzing? And I think you said hour intervals?
How long did it take from start to finish overall?

I'm asking so many questions because I've been struggling to figure out how to handle butts :quagmire: because they take so drat long. I've had several go for 16 hours. However, since I'm using an MES, I've switched over to using a smoke tube; I'm wondering if I couldn't replicate your method here and just let the tube run overnight with a reload in the morning. (If that's even necessary, idk) Really tempted to pick up one of those pellet mazes that can run for 12 hours, now that I think about it . . .

Nice of you to think of your neighbors! I typically just freeze any leftovers haha.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

It’s not really necessary to reload the tube after the first round - smoke sticks best to cold wet meat, and by the time the tubes out you probably have both enough smoke flavor and pretty much as much smoke flavor as you’re likely to get.

I let my charcoal smokes run overnight all the time - I set a temp alarm to wake me up if something goes severely wrong and otherwise get back to it when I wake up.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Kalman posted:

It’s not really necessary to reload the tube after the first round - smoke sticks best to cold wet meat, and by the time the tubes out you probably have both enough smoke flavor and pretty much as much smoke flavor as you’re likely to get.

I let my charcoal smokes run overnight all the time - I set a temp alarm to wake me up if something goes severely wrong and otherwise get back to it when I wake up.

Ah, yeah; I've played around a bit with letting the smoke tube run for 30 or 40 minutes before firing up the heater in the MES and bringing it to temp, to try and maximize the smoke sticking on.

That being said, would I be doing myself a disservice by not spritzing within those first 6-8 hours if I was asleep?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Zarin posted:

Ah, yeah; I've played around a bit with letting the smoke tube run for 30 or 40 minutes before firing up the heater in the MES and bringing it to temp, to try and maximize the smoke sticking on.

That being said, would I be doing myself a disservice by not spritzing within those first 6-8 hours if I was asleep?

I am of the “don’t bother spritzing ever” school so I will say no, you won’t be hurting things. All spritzing does is slow down the cook because it makes more moisture that has to get evaporated off.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There is someone here, forget who, that makes a convincing argument that you use spritzing to keep temps of corners and thinner sections of the meat down so its not dry by the time the rest of it reaches temp. I personally dont do it either, but I might break that out if I ever competition cook.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Zarin posted:

Looks good! If you don't mind, I'm curious about how you did this as a quick recap for something for me to try next time.

It sounds like you put it on to smoke overnight; how long did it go "unattended"?
Did you just use charcoal only for smoking, or did you have other chunks in there as well?
It sounds like you kept it around 225 as best you could and left it unwrapped the whole time. At what time did you start spritzing? And I think you said hour intervals?
How long did it take from start to finish overall?

I'm asking so many questions because I've been struggling to figure out how to handle butts :quagmire: because they take so drat long. I've had several go for 16 hours. However, since I'm using an MES, I've switched over to using a smoke tube; I'm wondering if I couldn't replicate your method here and just let the tube run overnight with a reload in the morning. (If that's even necessary, idk) Really tempted to pick up one of those pellet mazes that can run for 12 hours, now that I think about it . . .

Nice of you to think of your neighbors! I typically just freeze any leftovers haha.

I laid the 6.7lb butt on the WSM at about 11:30pm over Cowboy Lump charcoal using the Minion Method. For wood I used two fist-sized hickory chunks and two fist-sized cherry chunks. Water pan was filled with water. Took about an hour for the temp to settle but by 12:30am it was good so I went to bed. Woke up at 6am and pushed all the charcoal to the middle of the grate and added a bunch more unlit charcoal around it. Didn’t have to add anymore charcoal for the rest of the cook. Didn’t add any extra wood, as I find any more can make it bitter. Also started spritzing every hour or two with 50/50 apple juice and apple cider vinegar until the meat started hitting about 175 degrees.

Until the meat hit 175 degrees the smoker stayed 225-235 for the most part. Spiked up and down a few times hitting 250ish, but I tend not to react too much with temp fluctuations. As long as I’m 225-275 I’m happy.

My original plan was to leave it totally unwrapped the whole time, but when the meat hit 175 I decided to try something new: Foil Boat. More of a desire to keep those juices in than to hurry it along. I stopped spritzing then because I didn’t want any vinegar flavor added to the final drippings.

Also when meat hit 175 I raked the coals and the temp of the smoker shot up to 290 briefly. I closed the vents and got the temp down to 275. I let it slowly go do to 250 and it stayed about there for the rest of the smoke. I realize these temp fluctuations can be reduced by switching to briquettes, but I just prefer using lump so much more.

When the meat hit 195 it was mostly like butter with a few spots that needed a little more time. I let it go until 197 and then got it off the smoker to rest for 90 minutes in the foil boat with another piece of foil placed lightly on top. When I put in my bbq gloves to shred I also added a tiny little bit more rub to bump the flavor up a little more. Excellent decision.

As you can see this time I really didn’t go into this smoke with much of a plan. I just kind of winged it and let the smoker do what it’s gonna do. This was my least stressful pulled pork with also the best results. I think there’s a lot to be said about that. The biggest thing I noticed was that starting the smoke the night before gave me so much wiggle room to just relax and chill out that I spent most of the smoke just going as low, and slow, and easy as possible. I knew it was going to be done in time for dinner so I just stretched it out and played around with it. Total cook time was from 11:30pm-4:30pm the next day. 15 hours is a very long time for a 6.7lb butt. That extra time just seemed to translate to a better product in this case.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I laid the 6.7lb butt on the WSM at about 11:30pm over Cowboy Lump charcoal using the Minion Method. For wood I used two fist-sized hickory chunks and two fist-sized cherry chunks. Water pan was filled with water. Took about an hour for the temp to settle but by 12:30am it was good so I went to bed. Woke up at 6am and pushed all the charcoal to the middle of the grate and added a bunch more unlit charcoal around it. Didn’t have to add anymore charcoal for the rest of the cook. Didn’t add any extra wood, as I find any more can make it bitter. Also started spritzing every hour or two with 50/50 apple juice and apple cider vinegar until the meat started hitting about 175 degrees.

Until the meat hit 175 degrees the smoker stayed 225-235 for the most part. Spiked up and down a few times hitting 250ish, but I tend not to react too much with temp fluctuations. As long as I’m 225-275 I’m happy.

My original plan was to leave it totally unwrapped the whole time, but when the meat hit 175 I decided to try something new: Foil Boat. More of a desire to keep those juices in than to hurry it along. I stopped spritzing then because I didn’t want any vinegar flavor added to the final drippings.

Also when meat hit 175 I raked the coals and the temp of the smoker shot up to 290 briefly. I closed the vents and got the temp down to 275. I let it slowly go do to 250 and it stayed about there for the rest of the smoke. I realize these temp fluctuations can be reduced by switching to briquettes, but I just prefer using lump so much more.

When the meat hit 195 it was mostly like butter with a few spots that needed a little more time. I let it go until 197 and then got it off the smoker to rest for 90 minutes in the foil boat with another piece of foil placed lightly on top. When I put in my bbq gloves to shred I also added a tiny little bit more rub to bump the flavor up a little more. Excellent decision.

As you can see this time I really didn’t go into this smoke with much of a plan. I just kind of winged it and let the smoker do what it’s gonna do. This was my least stressful pulled pork with also the best results. I think there’s a lot to be said about that. The biggest thing I noticed was that starting the smoke the night before gave me so much wiggle room to just relax and chill out that I spent most of the smoke just going as low, and slow, and easy as possible. I knew it was going to be done in time for dinner so I just stretched it out and played around with it. Total cook time was from 11:30pm-4:30pm the next day. 15 hours is a very long time for a 6.7lb butt. That extra time just seemed to translate to a better product in this case.

Huge, thank you so much! Gonna screenshot this for when I get back to smoking . . . probably not this weekend as I have a comical amount of leftovers to get through.

Did you do any sort of brining/pre-salting? (Guessing not)
What kind of rub?
What did you do with the juices? Just end up tossing them in and mixed up into the shredded meat?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Zarin posted:

Huge, thank you so much! Gonna screenshot this for when I get back to smoking . . . probably not this weekend as I have a comical amount of leftovers to get through.

Did you do any sort of brining/pre-salting? (Guessing not)
What kind of rub?
What did you do with the juices? Just end up tossing them in and mixed up into the shredded meat?

Normally I always do my pork butts with a little dry brine in the fridge with just some salt the night before. I wasn’t expecting my butcher to cut such a big piece so when I brought it home I knew I would be smoking instead of dry brining that night.

For rub I used a little bit of Lawry’s Seasoning Salt (for the first time). Normally I’d just use regular salt but I saw this at the store and just wanted to try it. If I had time to dry brine I would have dry brined with this. The next part of the rub I just packed on some regular old BBQ rub from the store. I try to grab a different rub every time to mix things up. You definitely need to be careful if you’re adding salt before your rub because if your main rub has salt you can end up overdoing it.

All the juices that collected at the bottom of the foil boat ended up getting tossed in when the pork got pulled. I liked this and will probably do it that way with the foil boat again.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I often forget whenever I post food pictures there’s an animal’s rear end spraying blood all over everything.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh no worries, it happens to all of us.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Finally got my new Heatermeter set up (I had an old board from 6-7 years ago I did myself, but I messed up some of the soldering that eventually died after a few years), and man, I love being able to start a cook of a big pork butt at 2am and have it ready by 2pm. Just a wonderful piece of technology for my modded up Weber Smokey Mountain.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Reverse-seared ribeye steaks for Father's Day

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
You may be the gooniest of goons but those steaks look fabulous. Great work.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I did some ribeyes yesterday as well. Got a bone in roast, cut the bone out,and cut it in half for two sizable steak.

I left some meat on the rib because my son pointed out that the offset on my COS was actually the kids grill.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Working on some chicken brined overnight, both wet and dry methods tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

His Divine Shadow posted:

Working on some chicken brined overnight, both wet and dry methods tried.

Looks like a 18" WSM. What temp are you smoking those at?