Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Are there any go-to recommendations for wireless 75% boards? Ideally available with switches similar to MX Browns - not wedded to browns specifically but a non-clicky, tactile bump switch.

Bonus points for having a few macro keys and/or a volume knob. I guess that would make it not truly a 75%? But I don't know of a specific term for stuff like this.

I'm using the YMDK split 75 (this thing) at the moment, but honestly I normally just leave the two halves pushed together these days. Figure I might as well try to declutter my desk by swapping to something a little less reliant on cables, and something a bit less cheaply-produced since the casing on this one is just a few laser cut sheets of acrylic loosely held together.

e: lol whenever I snype a page I always have a heart attack thinking I've just made a new thread by accident instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have two Varmilo keyboards, and I'm looking for some new keycaps. How do I find keycaps that "feel" the same as the ones I have? I don't mean in texture, but in like shape and heft.

I realize I can just go to Varmilo and order some, but is there a way to know of alternate keycaps from other manufacturers that fit the above requirements?

You will want to match the material and keycap profile. From a quick google it seems like Varmilo keycaps are PBT material and a profile very close to 'Cherry' called 'SS2'. I'm not sure how common SS2 is, but if you search for "cherry pbt keycaps" you should be able to find something that would suit you. This is a very common material/profile combo so you will have more options than you know what to do with, from dirt cheap to very expensive sets.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Surprise T Rex posted:

Are there any go-to recommendations for wireless 75% boards? Ideally available with switches similar to MX Browns - not wedded to browns specifically but a non-clicky, tactile bump switch.

Bonus points for having a few macro keys and/or a volume knob. I guess that would make it not truly a 75%? But I don't know of a specific term for stuff like this.

I'm using the YMDK split 75 (this thing) at the moment, but honestly I normally just leave the two halves pushed together these days. Figure I might as well try to declutter my desk by swapping to something a little less reliant on cables, and something a bit less cheaply-produced since the casing on this one is just a few laser cut sheets of acrylic loosely held together.

e: lol whenever I snype a page I always have a heart attack thinking I've just made a new thread by accident instead.

If a slim/low-profile keyboard is your thing, I think the Nuphy 75 is well reviewed. Also Logitech just put out their MX Master Mechanical Mini which looks like a solid option that's backed behind a giant corporation if anything goes wrong with it.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

mes posted:

If a slim/low-profile keyboard is your thing, I think the Nuphy 75 is well reviewed. Also Logitech just put out their MX Master Mechanical Mini which looks like a solid option that's backed behind a giant corporation if anything goes wrong with it.

Those look pretty good tbh. Never considered low profile but it looks nice. One thing I've realised after looking at those though, is that I'm quite attached to the weird split spacebar arrangement on my current keyboard. I don't suppose any other 75% boards have the same kind of arrangement?

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Wireless specifically? I'm not aware of any. I think with wireless mechanical keyboards you're more or less stuck with a standard layout.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I couldn't quite get over the higher profile buttons of my Huntsman, especially when playing FPS games, so I got a G915 with the red switches in a sale. This thing actually feels really nice to use. The keyboard is so slim that I can easily rest my hands on it without an armrest or without having to keep my hands in a sort of claw grip, which was a big issue with the Huntsman for me. I think some people dislike them, but I personally really like the wide, flat keycaps. Despite being reds, the switches feel a tiny bit stiffer than what I'm used to, but they mostly get stiffer towards the bottom. It does act as a sort of dampening there without feeling too mushy like membrane keyboards, which is something me and my fingers appreciate.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 14, 2022

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I use a G815 clicky (the wired version of the wireless G915) for gaming and love the thing. The switches are nothing to write home about--they feel and sound to me basically like low-profile cherry blues, maybe slightly heavier--but the short travel is nice and the overall experience is great.

My only problem with it is the way the keycaps connect to the switches, they use two very flimsy hinged tabs and if you take a cap off it's really easy to snap one of the tabs. I actually had to RMA my first one because one of the tabs of a keycap broke off inside the switch, which I couldn't take apart or fish it out of.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Having used this thing a bit more, I think the fact that they get a little stiff towards the bottom makes it a bit hard to type quickly with them since I occasionally tap a button but it doesn't quite actuate. It's hard to believe that these would be 50g switches, though it might be because that 50g is throughout the button press, rather than at the tactile point like on clicky/tactile switches. But I mainly got this keyboard for games, so it's not a big deal (it's a TKL anyway). I really love how easy it is to acquire buttons in the WASD area while playing, compared to many other keyboards where I have to be really deliberate about how I move my hand.

Edit: I'm kinda considering ordering the same keyboard with clicky switches just to see if it'd feel better overall, since I do kinda miss being able to tell exactly when the key actuates even for games, especially when there's that stiffness towards the bottom. I did try a G815 with tactiles at a store and it felt alright, but I hear clicky GLs just tend to be better and I don't mind the sound

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 14, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

So, I've bought a MX Keys Mini.

One annoyance with this thing is there's nowhere to store the USB dongle in the keyboard itself, so it's rattling round in my bag somewhere. Surely that wouldn't have been too hard, I guess they really want you to use it over Bluetooth.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Just got my nuphy air 60 in today and so far I love it. It's... bigger than I thought it would be? But very needs-suiting. The itty bitty right shift will take some getting used to but cost of doing business with small keyboards. Feels nice.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Surprise T Rex posted:

Have you looked at the NuPhy Air 75?
The switches are swappable so you can mix and match if you like.

I ordered one last week with brown switches and it should get here today.

Edit: Got it a little while ago and I like it so far. It's compact, but a good size. Feels good to type on and sounds good too.
Very solidly put together.

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 15, 2022

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

hailthefish posted:

Just got my nuphy air 60 in today and so far I love it. It's... bigger than I thought it would be? But very needs-suiting. The itty bitty right shift will take some getting used to but cost of doing business with small keyboards. Feels nice.

Had mine for a couple weeks and I absolutely adore it. Battery has yet to need a recharge. I really like the folio case, which works well with the iPad (although I wish it could raise the tablet up a little like the official apple keyboard case does). The little right shift key takes some getting used to. What switches did you get? These are my first gateron browns and I just can’t imagine going back to cherry browns now.
I only wish I could use the fn key to switch the number row into a function row, which is something other similar sized keyboards do. You have to do a hard toggle with this one, which is a pain. Nuphy seem on it with the firmware updates however.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Still very fond of my Nuphy F1 laptop keyboard (it fits over top of MacBook and some other laptop keyboards). It's the only bluetooth one I own so it ends up doing extra duties with my Nvidia Shield, and sometimes phone or playstation. And yeah, the case is a really nice touch.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
So after buying a moonlander mark 1 keyboard I decided that it doesn't work for my regular workflow. I love it, and will use one half for games, but decided to go with a custom keyboard instead.

So I bought a GMMK Pro, Black, with Panda pre-lubed keys and the drop SA keycaps, in grey because they were sold out of everything else. Also got the extra keycaps for colours and such. I also bought some after market stabilizers, but they haven't arrived yet, and the GOAT stabilizers aren't that bad compared to the razer keyboard I was using previously.

I gotta say, the sound from just the stock keyboard without any extra mods is amazing. It has a nice thock and you don't hear the rattle from any of the stabilizers except for the left side of the spacebar. Right side and middle sound fine.

The case is also super nice, weighs 3.75lbs and feels super premium.

If anyone was thinking about an entry level keyboard to start with I would definitely go with something like this. The knob is really nice too compared to gamer keyboard volume controls.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

The switch force charts that manufacturers give out seem to be a bit misleading. The Razer website says that my typing keyboard's clicky switches require 65g-70g worth of force to hold the button down, but it feels way lighter to do so than it does with the G915, even though Logitech's website claims it should only take 60g worth of force with it. It's actually a bit distracting how much force you need to hold a button down with the G915, like despite being red switches (or I guess they aren't really reds, just linears), they feel stiffer than on any other keyboard I've ever tried. It's not a huge issue if I'm just tapping buttons, but just holding down W in games gets a bit more tiring than I'd like. I'm almost wondering if there's something wrong with this keyboard specifically, or if there's a break-in period for it. Anyway here's hoping the G915 with clickies will be better about it

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 15, 2022

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I try not to spam the thread too much, but just wanted to mention that I sell aftermarket FR4 plates for various keyboards, and even sometimes do custom commission plates for various boards as well. Current inventory includes:

- GMMK Pro (black/gold, white/gold)
- KBD67 (black/gold, white/gold)
- KBDPad (black/gold, white/gold)
- NK65 (black/gold)
- Austin
- Universal-ish 60% (done, but not in the store yet)
- KBD87 (done but not in the store yet)

As always, I have a $4.20 discount for goons with code 'GOON' at checkout, which basically works out to free shipping.

If anyone has any questions or is interested in getting custom plates made, feel free to DM me.

www.avxworks.com

Gearman fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 15, 2022

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Gearman posted:

I try not to spam the thread too much, but just wanted to mention that I sell aftermarket FR4 plates for various keyboards, and even sometimes do custom commission plates for various boards as well. Current inventory includes:

- NK65 (black/gold)
- Austin

As always, I have a $4.20 discount for goons with code 'GOON' at checkout, which basically works out to free shipping.

If anyone has any questions or is interested in getting custom plates made, feel free to DM me.

I keep forgetting to bookmark your site, I really should.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

I have your FR4 plate in my GMMK Pro. I would recommend it for sure.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The Grumbles posted:

Had mine for a couple weeks and I absolutely adore it. Battery has yet to need a recharge. I really like the folio case, which works well with the iPad (although I wish it could raise the tablet up a little like the official apple keyboard case does). The little right shift key takes some getting used to. What switches did you get? These are my first gateron browns and I just can’t imagine going back to cherry browns now.
I only wish I could use the fn key to switch the number row into a function row, which is something other similar sized keyboards do. You have to do a hard toggle with this one, which is a pain. Nuphy seem on it with the firmware updates however.

I got the reds. This is my first mechanical keyboard since the IBM-alike I used as a child in the 90s so I can't really compare them to other currently popular switches but they feel nice and are quiet but not silent. The function key thing is a little weird but I don't really use media keys that often.

I feel like fuckin Hackerman using it with my phone, propped up on the folio case.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Minorkos posted:

The switch force charts that manufacturers give out seem to be a bit misleading. The Razer website says that my typing keyboard's clicky switches require 65g-70g worth of force to hold the button down, but it feels way lighter to do so than it does with the G915, even though Logitech's website claims it should only take 60g worth of force with it. It's actually a bit distracting how much force you need to hold a button down with the G915, like despite being red switches (or I guess they aren't really reds, just linears), they feel stiffer than on any other keyboard I've ever tried. It's not a huge issue if I'm just tapping buttons, but just holding down W in games gets a bit more tiring than I'd like. I'm almost wondering if there's something wrong with this keyboard specifically, or if there's a break-in period for it. Anyway here's hoping the G915 with clickies will be better about it

There's a difference between actuation force and bottom out force, make sure you're not confusing the two. I'd recommend just getting some lighter switches either way. There won't be any significant break-in difference in actuation force.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gearman posted:

- NK65 (black/gold)
- Austin

It's basically a felony to make this post and not link your site

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Taffer posted:

There's a difference between actuation force and bottom out force, make sure you're not confusing the two. I'd recommend just getting some lighter switches either way. There won't be any significant break-in difference in actuation force.

Yeah I was just following what the chart suggests, like the chart for clicky Razer opticals shows that the force required goes up to 45g for actuation, and then continues going up to 70g after that as the switch nears the max range of motion of 3.5mm, but it doesn't feel nearly as heavy as that in practice

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Gearman posted:

- NK65 (black/gold)
- Austin

Use code NICE for a $.69 discount?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Any chance you’ll make a preonic plate somewhere in the future Gearman?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

mariooncrack posted:

I have your FR4 plate in my GMMK Pro. I would recommend it for sure.

Thank you, I really appreciate it and I'm glad you like it!

mewse posted:

It's basically a felony to make this post and not link your site

Haha oh noooo. Thank you for the assist. Added the link in my post.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Use code NICE for a $.69 discount?

Obviously this needs to happen. Discount code NICE is now live if you want a nice little discount. Thank you for the suggestion.

LochNessMonster posted:

Any chance you’ll make a preonic plate somewhere in the future Gearman?

Looks like the v3 plate file is available, which makes things easier. I'll have to take a closer look, but at first glance it seems very doable.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Gearman posted:

- NK65 (black/gold)
- Austin

www.avxworks.com

I use these on my GMMK Pro and KBD67 and highly recommend them. Holding out for the NK87 plate to get released now.

Speaking of NK87 - I made a friend a banana themed keyboard based on his love of banana Laffy Taffy.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Now I'm lusting after the Keychron Q5, am I turning into a keyboard weirdo?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

hailthefish posted:

All signs point to yes. But who am I to talk. I spent 350 dollars on a moonlander keyboard and then went and spent even more on a custom keyboard with keycaps and switches.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Well, I'm loving gutted. PayPal was no help, and bank was no help. Thanks, Exit Strategy. :smith:

ijyt fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 17, 2022

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

The clicky version of the G915 just arrived and I feel like it's just overall a better version of the keyboard, both for typing and games. Or maybe I just don't like linear switches in general. Anyway for me the buttons feel better to press and it isn't loud at all. It doesn't seem to cause nearly as much fatigue either, probably because I have a clearer idea of how hard I need to press in order to actuate a key. The switches still feel a bit more stiff than the Huntsman's but eh I can probably get used to it

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 17, 2022

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Depends on the type of game. If I'm strafing adadad I find clicky or tactile to not be ideal

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Depends on the type of game. If I'm strafing adadad I find clicky or tactile to not be ideal

I feel like that's only been an issue for me if I've been using some really muddy cherry browns that simply do not recover fast enough for quick tapping, or something like that. I guess there might be a very slight difference between good clickies and good linears, but it's never been something I've noticed in practice.

Anyway, just noticed that I can make the backspace on this clicky G915 actuate without it clicking if I press it at the edge of the key, which seems a bit odd. I feel like that is close to cause for returning the thing because lol at paying this much for a keyboard where all the keys don't even work right. But then I don't know what keyboard I would use since I really do like the low profile design and I feel like people are most positive about the G915

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 17, 2022

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

In more fun news my chaos theory switches arrived and OH BOY these are good. Lubed from the factory and silky smooth, and they sound like typing with marbles. I got them for the stupid colour gimmick and expected them to be kinda poo poo so I'm pleasantly surprised!

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

ijyt posted:

In more fun news my chaos theory switches arrived and OH BOY these are good. Lubed from the factory and silky smooth, and they sound like typing with marbles. I got them for the stupid colour gimmick and expected them to be kinda poo poo so I'm pleasantly surprised!

I love the stupid colour gimmick and wish I knew about these. I've been meaning to try a good linear just for fun to see if there's any out there that can take me away from my tactile obsession

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I got a Varmilo VA108M with browns. Anything I should do it it before use?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Minorkos posted:

I feel like that's only been an issue for me if I've been using some really muddy cherry browns that simply do not recover fast enough for quick tapping, or something like that. I guess there might be a very slight difference between good clickies and good linears, but it's never been something I've noticed in practice.

Anyway, just noticed that I can make the backspace on this clicky G915 actuate without it clicking if I press it at the edge of the key, which seems a bit odd. I feel like that is close to cause for returning the thing because lol at paying this much for a keyboard where all the keys don't even work right. But then I don't know what keyboard I would use since I really do like the low profile design and there is only like 5 different LP keyboards available

You can do that with a lot of clicky switches, it's just harder with some of the mx blues and greens. It has to do with the actuation point and the clicky point not being exactly the same, so you can get the switch to fire by pushing down. I used to get it with ALPS complicated whites and I can do it with kailh speed silvers as well. It's a bit harder to do with the MX Green switches I use on my primary keyboard. With how some switches are made I think that the spring strength can have a lot to do with how the click mechanism works.

I have the G915 as well and after about six months it's been fine but you can definitely tell that it's made more from a gaming peripheral point of view than a keyboard nerd point of view. It's got super low latency wireless, and the wireless they use is extremely interference tolerant (and this is a big selling point). It's got the RGB API in the software so that video games can make stuff happen on your keyboard like having it flash red when you're hurt or whatever. It's got overall decent build quality for the unit itself but I wish it was USB-C instead of micro-USB, although it doesn't need to be charged that often. The downsides are really the switches and the closed logitech ecosystem. They don't bother me too much using it as a secondary keyboard but you're right about the keycaps being wobbly and there's not a lot of third party choice for them. It would also be hard to modify due to using low profile logitech switches. I don't regret buying it but I'm also not using it as my main keyboard.

I feel like for an overall evaluation of the price you should consider $50 of the cost the low latency wireless. At that point it's basically a $100~150+ gaming keyboard and it's fine for that although not exceptional. The RGB API stuff that is being added to a lot of these keyboards is almost always from gaming peripherals companies and you won't see it on the wider mechanical keyboard market unless someone spends time working on software to handle it with some of the popular firmware. It reminds me of the screens that logitech had on its membrane keyboards for years in the mid 2000s. They were popular with people playing MMOs with one monitor because overlays weren't really a thing and the screen would let you see who was talking on voice chat. RGB API for the game to make your keyboard do something is a similar feature. Some folks will love it but I think it's going to be the kind of thing that dies off in ten years unless it's actively maintained by the company.

The low profile switches seem like kind of a weird choice to me. Logitech had their wireless stuff in keyboards with larger switches before like the G613 but they made that one with a nonremovable wrist rest so it was a huge chonker, and they also used their own romer switches in that as well. I feel like the G613 may have been made to compete with the Corsair K63 which launched with a lap desk accessory for your gaming mouse and keyboard so you could game from your couch. Having the integrated wrist rest kind of made it less portable, almost as if logitech kind of missed the market that corsair was trying to hit. I think a future project might be to use the controller from a G613 and see if it will work with another keyboard, although it might take a custom matrix to match the original board layout a bit.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Yeah I noticed the G915 appears to be geared towards gaming a lot more than other clicky keyboards, like the tactility bump is tiny and the overall feel of the keyboard doesn't seem like it was made for typing. That said, I will probably still use it for typing because it's weirdly comfortable for me (aside from some fringe buttons being kinda goofy to press). A lot of the stuff people talk about regarding keyboards is kinda just lost on me because I've developed a bunch of weird hang-ups regarding keyboards. I can't stand the typical 4mm switch because they feel way too tall for me, and using wrist-rests really bothers me as well, and even if I used one I'd still have to deal with the long travel distance. I've been locked into these thinner keyboards since like 2010 when I got my G110. As of about 2 years ago I also started developing some RSI issues so the usual heavy membrane hammering became less of an option, so everything I use needs to either be clicky or be otherwise smooth/tactile to type on. Actually one of the most comfortable keyboards I've used in recent memory is this goofy thing

Anyway my posting is kinda useless but at least if someone searches for G915 in the forums then they can read my powerful comparisons of the 2 switch types

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 17, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

hailthefish posted:

I want to get the barebones version of this with the knob soon, right now I'm on the full-sized C2 since I love a numpad but want to build something custom to celebrate landing my new job. Gateron browns are my go-to switch since I type for a living and don't play competitive FPS games but I know milky yellows are what all the Youtube enthusiasts are losing their poo poo over. Should I switch to them? It's all the same price but I'm worried about losing the tactile feedback of the bump in changing to linear switches.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

change my name posted:

I want to get the barebones version of this with the knob soon, right now I'm on the full-sized C2 since I love a numpad but want to build something custom to celebrate landing my new job. Gateron browns are my go-to switch since I type for a living and don't play competitive FPS games but I know milky yellows are what all the Youtube enthusiasts are losing their poo poo over. Should I switch to them? It's all the same price but I'm worried about losing the tactile feedback of the bump in changing to linear switches.

With linear switches, I would often get accidental keypresses since I rest my fingers on the keycaps when reading stuff on the screen since, being linear, there's no physical indication that the key is being actuated.

Personally I can't stand linear switches for that reason but I think it really just depends on your habits. You can probably buy a set of them and sell them for a discount if you end up not liking them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Heads up that the Keychron Q6 is releasing June 21. It’s full size (no knob)