Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
For what it's worth, I don't blame A-Train for not joining the resistance. If there's no way to hurt Homelander, there's no hope of ousting him...

I do, however, blame him for selling out Supersonic. Were it me, I'd like to think I'd just try to talk Supersonic out of it ("Bro, he survived nukes--what do you have that's stronger than that?). Maybe proclaim Homelander's superiority or something, just in case he happened to be overhearing... But then keep my mouth shut and wish him luck.

EDIT: Actually, that was kind of an ongoing problem I had with Seasons 1-2. Whatever progress they made against Vought, I kept thinking "Cool, but... You still can't beat Homelander."

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Yeah I still don't understand why Butcher thought the CIA could do anything about Homelander

You can try to arrest him I guess but lmao

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

As Nero Danced posted:

Spoilering this in case I get it right, but I bet Homelander invites Blue Hawk, the supe that's been targeting black people to take Super Sonic's place, specifically to get under A Train's skin. In one of the trailers there's a clip of him entering a room wtih Ashley holding the door

Finally a non-stupid fan theory that doesn't assume the writers hate us

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Just to save people a google, I guess, here's some comic spoilers:
In the comics Vought is way deeper in the superhero thing, and they have a massive comic and film industry where the adventures portrayed in them are presented as being real things that are happening in real life. When a supe dies, it's up to the writing team to come up with a plausible story reason for why; usually something along the lines of "oh, they're in space fighting aliens!" in one notable case, Homelander just kind of merked another supe for no real reason on camera so they had to write an entire in-universe storyline about how that guy went evil just to justify a real life situation. The Legend is basically the guy who started all of that, he used to work for vought and his job was giving the public a clean and socially palatable superhero rather than the hosed up monsters they were and he did this right up until he realized how hosed up they were when their lovely military programs got his son killed wherein he dedicated his entire career, and life, from then on to taking them down. He also has another son, with queen maeve, who is a lovely teenage super hero that hughie kills.

I genuinely don't know what kind of role the character will have in the show, but the show runners generally seem to know what they're doing.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah I still don't understand why Butcher thought the CIA could do anything about Homelander

Homelander isn’t a country with conflicting ideology to overthrow or a minority that can be exploited and kept down the CIA isn’t gonna do poo poo.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Is it ever explained in the comic universe on the TV universe why there are no super villains? You'd think Vought would have a stable of villain characters for the super teams to have story arcs with.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Marsupial Ape posted:

Is it ever explained in the comic universe on the TV universe why there are no super villains? You'd think Vought would have a stable of villain characters for the super teams to have story arcs with.

The "villains" are always nebulous beings/concepts like aliens or ~mind controlled~ heroes.

It'll be interesting to see if they take that tack for the Herogasm episode the week after next. The justification for all the (most popular) heroes to gently caress off to a private island to have sex and do every drug imaginable is that there's an alien invasion that needs to be thwarted off-world.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Bussamove posted:

Homelander isn’t a country with conflicting ideology to overthrow or a minority that can be exploited and kept down the CIA isn’t gonna do poo poo.

None of that matters in the show. The CIA on the show is very clearly trying to get enough solid dirt on Vought to take them down. Yes I know this doesn't mirror the IRL CIA

The point is that Homelander literally cannot be arrested and imprisoned in any way that we currently know of, so sending a pile of operatives or even an army after him won't do poo poo because laser eyes

For all the scheming Butcher does on the show it seems like he should have thought that through a bit more

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Elephant Ambush posted:

it took testing on their own operatives but their experiments have finally succeeded.

the havana syndrome ray is ready.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Marsupial Ape posted:

Haven't read the comics, but I could see Vought not wanting the public to worry about people with powers going evil - they're already covering for the ones who do. If there were "villains" running around it might make people more hesitant to trust super heroes or support restrictions on people with powers. Plus they gave Compound V to kids by telling their parents they could be the next huge superhero. I doubt they're going to agree to "actually your kid has to be a villain."

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think the closest we came to that was the super terrorist who lived almost an entire episode.

A terrorist who's power set is to blow himself up. Yea that wasn't on the mark or anything.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nuebot posted:

I genuinely don't know what kind of role the character will have in the show, but the show runners generally seem to know what they're doing.

Probably the same, though maybe more Kevin Feige than Stann Lee.

I hope Serge referring to Billy as Charcutier was just a quick comic call out. It was just part of the joke in the comic since the character wasn't a real character, just a fake caricature with constant bad French. Doesn't hit the same if the character is actually French.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Heliotrope posted:

Haven't read the comics, but I could see Vought not wanting the public to worry about people with powers going evil - they're already covering for the ones who do. If there were "villains" running around it might make people more hesitant to trust super heroes or support restrictions on people with powers. Plus they gave Compound V to kids by telling their parents they could be the next huge superhero. I doubt they're going to agree to "actually your kid has to be a villain."

Well, they'd be on the payroll, so it'd be like pro-wrestling's kayfabe. They'd be the 'heels' of the show. Think of the missed marketing opportunities! People go stupid for sexy villains.

Also, how does some like Michael Jordan even become famous and iconic in a world full of actual superhumans. How does any athlete? Olympian and pro athletes amaze us because they operating at the very peaks and edges of human capability. Why would I give a poo poo in a world full of little gods?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Marsupial Ape posted:

Also, how does some like Michael Jordan even become famous and iconic in a world full of actual superhumans. How does any athlete? Olympian and pro athletes amaze us because they operating at the very peaks and edges of human capability. Why would I give a poo poo in a world full of little gods?

IIRC, the whole super-heroing thing was pretty recent--so stuff like the Olympics got there first, and the tradition just kinda stuck.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Marsupial Ape posted:

The public in the TV universe is savvier; the public in the comics universe are played for rubes who literally believe these people got powers from mystical gems/radioactive spiders/alien rocks etc. There's still a dearth of villains even then, and the supes are basically powered celebrities. But occasionally the "Galactic Overlord (bag of consonants) attacked" kinda poo poo is used to handwave away a superhero rehab stint or inconvenient death

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I'm just saying, Vought not having their own Hiddleston is leaving a lot of money the table. Also, think of all the villain based breakfast cereals!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m sure it’s been suggested but lol Edgar doesn’t even want the superheroes let alone villains so I’m not surprised he never tried it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

Well, they'd be on the payroll, so it'd be like pro-wrestling's kayfabe. They'd be the 'heels' of the show. Think of the missed marketing opportunities! People go stupid for sexy villains.

I can see some people signing up to be killed by Homelander, but not a lot.

Though I think the bigger problem is that terrorists don't shift breakfast serial. I can see people buying Doctor Doom flavoured cereal on this planet, because Doctor Doom isn't actively killing people.

I don't see people buying the Mengele or Pol Pott versions though, or Disney/Starbucks/Sony/Uber wanting to associate their brand with them.

(this is the chance for the internet to prove me wrong)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I thought that Frenchie was a bit of a joke because the dude is Algerian.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
homelander's invincibility has always just been taken as an absolute on the show so far, with this possible superweapon as the only caveat. i think it's weird how they've never had characters at least ask things like whether he needs to breathe. he refers to going to space, so i suppose not, but they don't seem to think outside the box in terms of how they could handle him. if everything has been tried and failed, they should say so on the show, because nobody has ever tried at all. he eats and drinks, right? i don't remember him ever doing it, but they could try drugging his food to knock him out and then drown him. probably wouldn't work but it could have been tried.

i mean he was delayed by that cave-in for several minutes one time so it is at least possible to keep him in one spot for a period of time.

also he's aging normally physically, as far as we know. other supes are longlived, but nobody's ever said that about homelander, so will his powers remain the same until he's old? will he actually die?

there's a lot they haven't gone into and i don't think it's besides the point to ask this stuff since this is the show's main storyline.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think the closest we came to that was the super terrorist who lived almost an entire episode.

A terrorist who's power set is to blow himself up. Yea that wasn't on the mark or anything.

they completely dropped this and almost totally dropped the superheroes in the military stuff. with the super terrorists thing, okay maybe they realised they were veering into looking racist, but since they also did it with the military thing i think they just decided they didn't want to widen their scope too much and keep it focused mostly on the psychology and relationship dramas of the main cast.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 15, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
To be fair, it's heavily implied that Vought has been mind-loving the public into submission since the Second World War.

They're an unholy hybrid of Amazon, Disney, Alphabet/Google, McDonald's, Pfizer, Lockheed-Martin, and Monsanto all rolled into one, and they've had unquestioned corporate dominion over the US and western world ever since.

It's like seeing a "FedLex" delivery man at the Hall of Justice in DC Comics, or a "LexMart." It's just accepted because (unfortunately) evil gets poo poo done behind the scenes in comics as much as it does in real life.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 15, 2022

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Open Source Idiom posted:

I can see some people signing up to be killed by Homelander, but not a lot.

Though I think the bigger problem is that terrorists don't shift breakfast serial. I can see people buying Doctor Doom flavoured cereal on this planet, because Doctor Doom isn't actively killing people.

I don't see people buying the Mengele or Pol Pott versions though, or Disney/Starbucks/Sony/Uber wanting to associate their brand with them.

(this is the chance for the internet to prove me wrong)

I'm not saying Vaught is sending out their villains to actually murder people. Like I said, it's kayfabe. They do dumb poo poo like try to steal the Liberty Bell and get into love triangles with the heroes. I mean, gently caress, KISS was a super villain rock and roll band.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Watching homelander fly into the sun after I told him he was a soyboy if he couldn't fly from the core and back

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Marsupial Ape posted:

Super villains in the comics were just like the heroes,they kept up the act for the cameras and were on voughts payroll.

But if a villain actually broke kayfabe and became a liability they could expect homelander to fly through them at 200mph and for vought to publish a comic about it(which praises the brave supes obv)

They seem to have skirted vilains in the show probably cause they’d be expensive? Idk

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah doing supervillains here doesn't work because Homelander would just immediately kill them (honestly, as would Noir, Maeve, or A-Train)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

I'm not saying Vaught is sending out their villains to actually murder people. Like I said, it's kayfabe. They do dumb poo poo like try to steal the Liberty Bell and get into love triangles with the heroes. I mean, gently caress, KISS was a super villain rock and roll band.

So you're saying like heroes with mean attitudes? Yeah I guess that's a good point -- most of the heroes we see are very mainstream in their imagery.

I guess you've got Gunpowder, I guess there are probably other demographics represented too... like an NPR hero, or one who reps skater culture, or goth culture, or Garfield style "I hate Mondays" 9-5 office manager, or some poo poo. One for every tribe.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hope we see the Bernie Bro supe

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Mameluke posted:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Mameluke posted:

The Poster.

Superpower: super fast typist, able to shitpost on five hundred alts at once

Actual Contribution to Leftism: 0

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
They mentioned in the first season that translucent couldn't be drowned or gassed, and the guys that tried all died in camp when he got out.

I'd imagine since he's pretty far down the line from Homelander in power scale, even Starlight being able to shrug off .50 cal shots, that the whole breathing thing or poisoning idea is ludicrous.

At the very least, in show canon he can hear you miles away (calling the check point and waving to the mom in camera in s2), bulletproof, incredibly strong, he can fly at possibly supersonic speed, he can make it to space and survive, he's got eye lasers and he's mentally unstable. If you are going up against that, you need a definite, not a "might work".

So far the only weakness is an inability to see through zinc, as well as having a few mental disorders. They are hoping the red weapon is going to work. Timing wise, it kinda fits. Homelander would have been either just born or only a few years old, and vought could have seen the writing on the wall and knew they needed something to take him out. So, they snatch soldier boy during an op that the us government could not possibly mention, and put him in ice until needed.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

tokin opposition posted:

The Poster.

Superpower: super fast typist, able to shitpost on five hundred alts at once

Actual Contribution to Leftism: 0

thus far, homelander's only vulnerabilities are social and mental, cyberbullying is probably the most effective weapon we have.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
He'll be the dude that directed the soldier boy psa instead of masterminding comic book poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

French Algerian nationality is a thing. Jean Reno is French Algerian IIRC. (I'm assuming you're talking about the character, as well - Frenchie's actor is Israeli.)

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
From Vought's perspective, any plan regarding finding a potential way to kill Homelander has two major dilemmas, which are:
- assuming whatever you tried doesn't work or doesn't work fully, he can probably kill you and whoever else was involved, and then either confirm his power or realize there are limits and try to gauge them himself
- assuming whatever you tried does work and you kill Homelander, what then? Only the protagonists actually want to kill him, it would mean a massive loss - and keep him at a verge of dying with no repercussion doesn't seem plausible, he wouldn't accept "just kidding".

So in the short term, it seemed it would be more efficient to control him through social means. Long term is not something capitalism concerns itself with.

I do think he'll become so irritated with paperwork he'll see what keeping non-powered people is good for. Whatever else his powers allow him, he doesn't seem good with delegating, always needing to get the last word and his way.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 15, 2022

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Marsupial Ape posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlG36P2J_qs

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I know most Algerians live in Marseille according to most of the French far-right but he is probably just french-Algerian, either pied-noir descendant or the french-born son of worker migrants.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
In my head frenchie was just a nutcase who pretended to be french because he thought it was funny/he was a crackpot.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I thought they were implying he was actually Russian, but created the "Frenchie" persona once he stopped being a paid assassin for the Russian mob or whoever they are.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Robobot posted:

I thought they were implying he was actually Russian, but created the "Frenchie" persona once he stopped being a paid assassin for the Russian mob or whoever they are.
I believe that the russian mob boss lady was just using the russian form of Serge which is Sergei/Sergey. But yeah, there is no real confirmation either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Marsupial Ape posted:

I could see Vought being hesitant because villains might be more difficult to control. Any hero who steps out of line, they're easy enough to either control or destroy by way of public relations. Just leak or outright fake some compromising material and the hero is pretty much done, since they rely so much on public goodwill. Villains, on the other hand, would be much more difficult to control this way. Whatever fanbase they'd accumulate would be much more difficult to dissuade by pointing out they're bad people, since that's already built into their public persona by default. It'd also be much easier for them to jump ship off of Vought and monetize themselves through a competitor or independently.

Sure, there's always the potential threat of "play along or Homelander murders you", but I'd expect somebody like Edgar would consider that too unreliable and brute-force.