Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

It's fine, I'm pretty sure the wet cancels out all the fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

actionjackson posted:

isn't this journal a subsidiary of nature?

yes, but it's Nature Scientific Reports

academia has rotted away from the inside and bent the knee to mammon over the last, oh, 30, but especially the last ten years

there's degree inflation/devaluation, fewer job openings, below-poverty "stipends" for most researchers, and the "publish or perish" culture has been cranked to 999 as institutions corporatize and fill up with high-paid managerial-class idiots who need to create and then juice their metrics

so following on from that that, academic journals all have low-standard pay-to-publish spinoffs now, which will kind of just accept any old poo poo, and even better for the publishers, they can say "sorry can't accept your paper into [flagship] Nature X, but have you considered our ~Scientific Reports~?" Nature in particular are doing quite well off of this, as their name still has a lot of cachet, although they're working hard to erode that among academics with this bullshit

there might be some good research in Scientific Reports, sometimes? who knows. they published like 25,000 papers in 2021 alone, who the gently caress is reading any of that.

wow i'm worked up now

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Raine posted:

read your post and was feeling wild so i watched the whole movie

would recommend even though it's mostly unrelated to the thread topic

Yeah, it's a *really* good movie, and it's available everywhere for free (like YouTube) because the author wanted it to be accessible.

Again, do *not* seek out and/or watch the "sequel."

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Feeling happy about having more kids and making sure they do their part by recycling:)

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

a very small toad dug a very small cave in the field behind my house, just living their life and thinking about Dredd 3D

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
"Incendiary"

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

It's fine, I'm pretty sure the wet cancels out all the fire

market solutions to incentivize moving water from where its not needed to where it is, bing bong close thread

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/inteli_tw/status/1536869892275806213

large oblate cat
Jul 7, 2009

hobbez posted:

I don’t know if this event was caused by global warming or not but the small Montana town of red lodge has been basically swept away by a massive flood.

https://billingsgazette.com/news/lo...0158f809.html#1

It’s just a shame because it’s a beautiful little town in a truly remote and wild part of the country and the community there is just devastated right now

Burning up in a wildfire and now washed away in a flood? That town and its inhabitants are so cringe!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

this better not awaken anything in me

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
bdilf

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

thinking about how induced demand can apply to air travel as well as highways, and how a lot less Americans would be visiting Europe if they couldn't fly there in 10 hours or whatever it takes

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

:lmao:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

:ck5:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

https://suindependent.com/butthole-robber-rear end in a top hat-robber/

Metrodextrous
Aug 6, 2007

alright dude whatever

i hope ur asshole grows shut

:five:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Buddy, I'm here with the Department of Environmental Affairs and we *know* our stuff. The cringe in the atmosphere is beyond reasonable thresholds.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
What do you NOT understand about the cringe we see in the atmosphere? Are you outta your mind? Are you wacky?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Cringe? In My Ecosphere? It's more likely than you think! Free Cringe Check!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

About half of the Great Barrier Reef in Australia bleached this year, and the rest was badly affected.

quote:

Coral bleaching affected 91% of reefs surveyed along the Great Barrier Reef this year, according to a report by government scientists that confirms the natural landmark has suffered its sixth mass bleaching event on record.

The Reef snapshot: summer 2021-22, quietly published by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority on Tuesday night after weeks of delay, said above-average water temperatures in late summer had caused coral bleaching throughout the 2,300km reef system, but particularly in the central region between Cape Tribulation and the Whitsundays.

“The surveys confirm a mass bleaching event, with coral bleaching observed at multiple reefs in all regions,” a statement accompanying the report said. “This is the fourth mass bleaching event since 2016 and the sixth to occur on the Great Barrier Reef since 1998.”

[...]

“But having said that, the climate is changing and the planet and the reef is about 1.5 degrees centigrade warmer than it was 150 years ago,” he said. “Because of that, the weather is changing. Unexpected events are now to be expected. Nothing surprises me any more.”

“This was a La Nina year, normally characterised by more cloud cover and rain,” she said. “It should have been a welcome reprieve for our reef to help it recover and yet the snapshot shows more than 90% of the reefs surveyed exhibited some bleaching."

Also this was a gentle and cool year by current standards.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1536904152688824321

quote:

The FSO Safer is moored off Yemen’s Red Sea coast and contains more than a million barrels of oil. The tanker is beyond repair, and the fear is that it could soon break apart or explode.

At 376 metres long, it is among the largest tankers in the world, and holds roughly four times the crude oil that was spilled during the Exxon Valdez disaster, off Alaska, in 1989.

I hope their crowdfunding campaign to clean this up is successful, cause yikes.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
A symphony of climate catastrophe in Cringe major.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Evis posted:

Absolutely psycho poo poo that the nations of the world can't even get together to pitch in a few bucks on this, good loving god

LMAO

E: and not psycho in the usual way. This is a total failure to recognize short term, immediate self interest

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evis posted:

hahahahaha they’re loving crowdfunding it jfc

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samuel Glompers posted:

Absolutely psycho poo poo that the nations of the world can't even get together to pitch in a few bucks on this, good loving god

LMAO

E: and not psycho in the usual way. This is a total failure to recognize short term, immediate self interest

the brain rot is getting worse faster than was previously anticipated

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Soon it'll be economically viable to send guys out to get the oil off the ship, right? Right?

Fly Molo posted:

the brain rot is getting worse faster than was previously anticipated

The thing about microplastic in fresh Antarctic snow, and water treatment spreading microplastic, is that it's necessarily also in Jackson Hole's snow. The point where money can't protect the rich from biosphere collapse has already passed, and in a visceral personal sense, not just "ohh booga my rural western cabins!!"

Mameluke has issued a correction as of 05:15 on Jun 15, 2022

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ArfJason posted:

A symphony of climate catastrophe in Cringe major.

Arf given that this thread is mostly quietly depressed posters (and the occasional LF refugee), the succ thread is mostly cringe Joker wannabes cackling to themselves as they tip their fedoras in the mirror to themselves, and the Trump thread is so thoroughly and self-evidently pathetic that it can't really be trolled: I have a recommendation.

If you want to rile up posters you should check out the doomsday economics thread. There's a bunch of people actively cheering on the total financial immiseration of millions and they easily have latent guilt about their would-be schadenfreude ripe for backlash and long embarrassing posts.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Mola Yam posted:

yes, but it's Nature Scientific Reports

academia has rotted away from the inside and bent the knee to mammon over the last, oh, 30, but especially the last ten years

there's degree inflation/devaluation, fewer job openings, below-poverty "stipends" for most researchers, and the "publish or perish" culture has been cranked to 999 as institutions corporatize and fill up with high-paid managerial-class idiots who need to create and then juice their metrics

so following on from that that, academic journals all have low-standard pay-to-publish spinoffs now, which will kind of just accept any old poo poo, and even better for the publishers, they can say "sorry can't accept your paper into [flagship] Nature X, but have you considered our ~Scientific Reports~?" Nature in particular are doing quite well off of this, as their name still has a lot of cachet, although they're working hard to erode that among academics with this bullshit

there might be some good research in Scientific Reports, sometimes? who knows. they published like 25,000 papers in 2021 alone, who the gently caress is reading any of that.

wow i'm worked up now

I appreciate the insight but I’m also
mad

Griz
May 21, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

Arf given that this thread is mostly quietly depressed posters (and the occasional LF refugee), the succ thread is mostly cringe Joker wannabes cackling to themselves as they tip their fedoras in the mirror to themselves, and the Trump thread is so thoroughly and self-evidently pathetic that it can't really be trolled: I have a recommendation.

lol at thinking anyone actually reads posts from the moron whose entire gimmick for years has been spamming garbage

Griz
May 21, 2001

Samuel Glompers posted:

it's not like that's a new thing. remember that WW2 munitions ship that's been rotting off London for the past 80 years? it's still there because every time someone considered doing something, it was too expensive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Jesus christ, is this really going to be 25 loving pages of arf belching gibberish like a loving furnace stack?
Is this the future of this thread?

The one loving space for rational discussion, and there's a smelly dude in a greasy raincoat jerking it in the metaphysical corner.

gently caress my life

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

Big hailstorm in Mexico City and I only find out via Twitter:

https://twitter.com/eperea/status/1536384707717263361
that actually looked like snow. all of this poo poo happened in 1 evening and yeah only saw it from twitter

https://twitter.com/YellowstoneNPS/status/1536470361210077184
https://twitter.com/TornadoLegends/status/1536547363493400577
https://twitter.com/MichelMarizco/status/1536420538121220100
https://twitter.com/hotshotwake/status/1536404214116716544
https://twitter.com/AlaskaWx/status/1536359059594432512
https://twitter.com/edgarrmcgregor/status/1536577421285068802
https://twitter.com/extremetemps/status/1536482369758175239

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
One Weird Trick to make the Biosphere thread display ten posts per page without changing the setting forumwide

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

BrotherJayne posted:

Jesus christ, is this really going to be 25 loving pages of arf belching gibberish like a loving furnace stack?

The one loving space for rational discussion, and there's a smelly dude in a greasy raincoat jerking it in the metaphysical corner.

gently caress my life

Just ignore him, it's actually pretty easy

Remember he (or at least, everyone in QCS cheering him on) is looking for thread regulars to be riled up by his activity (as T-Paine has been doing for his last ~30 posts). This will only encourage him.

Put him on ignore.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

BrotherJayne posted:

gently caress my life

best thing you can do in that situation is help jerk them off so they're done quicker

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
"87 acre-feet have been lost. 7,366 remain."

Could someone explain why this should sound concerning, because it sounds like nothing. Is it something to do with the ridiculous measure of "acre feet"

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

BrotherJayne posted:

gently caress my life

who gives a gently caress? the planet is dying, let arf have his fun

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Could someone explain why this should sound concerning, because it sounds like nothing. Is it something to do with the ridiculous measure of "acre feet"
1 acre-foot is 325,851 gallons, or 1,481 cubic meters/1,481,000 liters

equivalent to a lake with a surface area of one acre (~4,000 square meters) dropping one foot

stringless has issued a correction as of 06:48 on Jun 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

i read it as 87 acre feet lost in the last week.