Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

"87 acre-feet have been lost. 7,366 remain."

Could someone explain why this should sound concerning, because it sounds like nothing. Is it something to do with the ridiculous measure of "acre feet"

the measure is in thousands of acre feet. so they lost enough water to cover an acre of land in 87,000 feet of water or enough water to cover 87,000 acres of land in 1 foot of water, out of 7,366,000 acre feet of total water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

250 acres is roughly equivalent to a square kilometer

acres are a really dumb unit of measurement left over from land parceling

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
The cringe in the atmosphere is getting out of hand guys!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

On the subject of Lake Mead, we get to see the full power of the US state and federal governments at work on a collective action problem.

quote:

The federal Bureau of Reclamation is asking states to conserve 2 to 4 million acre-feet of water, just to keep Lake Powell and Lake Mead out of critically low territory in 2023.

And we’ll need a plan to do so by mid-August when shortage levels and other important operating details for the next water year are set.

If we were to carry out every cut contemplated in the Lower Basin Drought Contingency Plan, which applies to Arizona, California and Nevada, that would amount to 1.1 million acre-feet of water.

[...]

That’s going to be tough, considering that the Lower Basin has only met about half of this year’s target under the 500-plus plan, which calls for the three states to voluntarily save 500,000 acre-feet in Lake Mead, over and above what we are mandated to cut, each year through 2026.

[...]

California is not yet mandated to cut its use, so it has instead decided to take its full allocation this year, plus withdraw some of the water it had previously volunteered to store in Lake Mead, to help cushion the blow of a severely curtailed State Water Project.

Meanwhile, the Upper Basin has not agreed to a plan to temporarily curtail use among states. Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and New Mexico have been talking about conservation and demand management ideas for years, including paying folks not to use water, but have never reached consensus.

[...]

Arizona has junior water rights on the river, which means technically, we are first in line for cuts. But Arizona’s annual appropriation is 2.8 million acre-feet, and this year we’re only using about 2 million acre-feet of it. The rest is already in Lake Mead, in the form of mandatory cuts and voluntary savings.

It must be noted that saving 2 million to 4 million acre-feet next year won’t rebuild Lake Mead or Lake Powell; it just keeps them from falling to the point where hydropower can no longer be generated.

This is not a solution.

Some smartasses with "pattern recognition" and "object permanence" might draw a parallel to COVID. The truth is, nobody could have seen this coming who had the power to do something about it because they're well paid not to.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rauros posted:

i read it as 87 acre feet lost in the last week.

OK that makes sense. It kinda read as 'overall' which percentage wise sounded like nothing

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
The rivers are overflowing with cringe. The native man would shed a tear if only his body wasnt saturated with fail. What have we done,

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Keep an eye on Odessa TX to see what happens when a city of 100,000 people has no access to water anymore (during a heatwave no less)

https://twitter.com/SmnWeekly/status/1536799077706387468?t=lPvt78lNUsM-nR4wJSoL_w&s=19

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
"Heh, that's what you get for voting republican!" I say, expelling the last beads of moisture left in my throat, my eyelids dragging down the rough surface of my eyes and my chapped mouth pulling away at the sides into a rictus smirk

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/starrydragonfl2/status/1536766428224729089

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

smoobles posted:

Keep an eye on Odessa TX to see what happens when a city of 100,000 people has no access to water anymore (during a heatwave no less)

https://twitter.com/SmnWeekly/status/1536799077706387468?t=lPvt78lNUsM-nR4wJSoL_w&s=19

considering it's in america, in texas, people won't do poo poo

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
calm down the planet is just evolving like we are, it is just evolving in an attempt to murder most of us, its fine

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

calm down the planet is just evolving like we are, it is just evolving in an attempt to murder most of us, its fine

https://twitter.com/ProjectTabs/status/1533129540842639360

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

just a bit of fever to wipe out an infection

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If the planet is trying to murder us it's doing a terrible job. Do better.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/2Aspire7/status/1533172667297280000
https://twitter.com/RedSquirrelFtw/status/1533203908155285505
https://twitter.com/Stentor69/status/1533675846732591106
https://twitter.com/MickMook86/status/1533593695341117440

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

stop this is too much cringe

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Samuel Glompers posted:

Absolutely psycho poo poo that the nations of the world can't even get together to pitch in a few bucks on this, good loving god

LMAO

E: and not psycho in the usual way. This is a total failure to recognize short term, immediate self interest

America will happily park a carrier battle group there to intimidate Iran… and that’s it, who even cares about the oil inside or even that it’s valuable

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

yowza thats a lot of cringe

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat cringe

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

i was okay with the collapse of the biosphere but littering in the biosphere collapse thread is a collapse too far

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

a bunch of penguins died here

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If the planet is trying to murder us it's doing a terrible job. Do better.

To be fair we have been abusing the broken resource system left behind by old characters and we have been reading the engines functionality and using console commands, earth has rolled full legit playthrough but looks like it will win in the end

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
The cringe in the air is making us sick. How do you not realize the planet is becoming fail?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

BrotherJayne posted:

Jesus christ, is this really going to be 25 loving pages of arf belching gibberish like a loving furnace stack?
Is this the future of this thread?

The one loving space for rational discussion, and there's a smelly dude in a greasy raincoat jerking it in the metaphysical corner.

gently caress my life

yeah this is the normal corner where we jerk off in non greasy raincoats to a fantasized mass climate included human death not the corner where people make fun of us for doing that

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

ummmm jerking to climate driven mass death is over in the halls of power and the dress code is expensive tailored suits

we just post about what a good job they are doing to make this a reality

i hope that clears up any confusion

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

please dont mention all the people that are gonna die, its a real down buzz

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
As a longtime thread regular, inclusive of its earlier iterations, I'd really appreciate it if our newcomers could stop with the endless shitposting spam and "baiting".

:goonsay: but unironically

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

CODChimera posted:

please dont mention all the people that are gonna die, its a real down buzz
there are posters with tender hearts and fragile minds on this comfy safe comedy forum

the fact that untold millions of people and most animals will die in their lifetime is horribly upsetting

please refrain from posting scary articles or pictures that reminds them this is happening and they will probably die horribly and early too unlike their parents

it is all so very sad and frustrating

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
*shrug* my posting didn't save the world, others are welcome to try

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I put AJ on ignore, he can happily proclaim that he has won, and I can happily live in total ignorance of that.

Put ArfJason On Ignore: It's Win Win!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SniperWoreConverse posted:

there's increasing evidence that prehistoric humans were much more advanced than was believed and that they had sophisticated cities and settlements before agriculture or writing.

there was the whole Neolithic period with thousands of years of settlements and agriculture before even the most ancient bronze age. no writting but we do have some nice pottery

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Hubbert posted:

As a longtime thread regular, inclusive of its earlier iterations, I'd really appreciate it if our newcomers could stop with the endless shitposting spam and "baiting".

Don't worry Hubbert I'm sure it'll reach... a peak

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Hubbert posted:

Biosphere Collapse: I'm a cringe half fail kind of guy

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Rutibex posted:

there was the whole Neolithic period with thousands of years of settlements and agriculture before even the most ancient bronze age. no writting but we do have some nice pottery

yeah but i mean gobekli tepe is pre-pottery. OLD-old.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Evis posted:

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1536904152688824321

I hope their crowdfunding campaign to clean this up is successful, cause yikes.

with new oil drilling sites spinning up all the time, you'd think it'd be a no-brainer to just go get this oil that's already been pumped out and is just sitting there in a boat but what do I know :shrug:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Renaissance Robot posted:

with new oil drilling sites spinning up all the time, you'd think it'd be a no-brainer to just go get this oil that's already been pumped out and is just sitting there in a boat but what do I know :shrug:

Where's the challenge in that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
A disturbing amount of cringe was found in the poles. An omen of things to come...