Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Spangly A posted:

did nazanin zaghawi get back yet or are iran going to be able to turn around and state the uk just violated a condition that wont be mentioned

She's been out for a while. Our lovely press have been monstering her for daring to criticise Ar Bozza who got her out (never mind that he was responsible for her being put in)

Edit: 1944. Bad things happen to Nazis in Normandy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Apocryphally the only reason dentistry is seperate is because at the time the NHS was formalised the dentists pitched a fit and actually had the power to stop the whole thing happening somehow. So they wrre excluded from the deal. Why the NHS didn't take it over once they got powerful enough is a mystery probably answered by there never being an honest enough PM after that point.

Dentistry was completely free under the NHS at its inception, but it cost a fortune and the Labour govt decided to start introducing modest charges for dentures from early 1951. Then the Tories took over and introduced charges for a bunch of other stuff the next year, alongside other charges across the service generally, and here we are.

The fact that dentistry is considered its own thing rather than a speciality within medicine is a bizarre historical quirk that makes zero sense in 2022, imo. Dentists should be trained doctors who decide to focus on oral health, treated in the same way as cardiologists or endocrinologists or whatever.

roomtone posted:

I don't accept out of hand that ind Scotland would be poorer.

It would depend entirely on how it was run. There's absolutely no reason an indy Scotland couldn't be a comfortable mid-size Euro economy with a decent social security system in the shape of one of the Scandis. I am pretty sus of the SNP, and knowing people who work at relatively senior positions in the NHS many are super hostile to the party, which they say has totally mismanaged the service. I do not believe they are anywhere near as left wing as they pretend to be. They're very competent politicians but a lot of it is rhetoric over substance. That said, independence would almost certainly fracture the party, and I doubt we'd see an SNP govt in an independent Scotland after a few terms riding on the victory. So who knows! It's a worthy gamble looking at the rest of the UK though.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 15, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

Sanctions, quite possibly.

One would like to think, but we'll see.

imo it's kind of a shame that the EU can't decide beforehand on a schedule of sanctions that will apply if the UK does or doesn't do X, and then when the Tories force their hand by doing X² they can just say "loving told you so". But of course, the EU is terminally decorum-poisoned and addicted to looking like the good guy ( at least when dealing with constituent member and ex-member states)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

One would like to think, but we'll see.

imo it's kind of a shame that the EU can't decide beforehand on a schedule of sanctions that will apply if the UK does or doesn't do X, and then when the Tories force their hand by doing X² they can just say "loving told you so". But of course, the EU is terminally decorum-poisoned and addicted to looking like the good guy ( at least when dealing with constituent member and ex-member states)

Greece?

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Our government is so maliciously stupid, jesus christ.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I'm not arguing that the EU is benevolent, or that leftists can or would see its economic policy as such, merely that they successfully justify those policies to themselves and the broadsheet readers of Germany

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Sanctions on the UK will also hurt the EU countries that trade with us, in particular Ireland. This is brain-genius Dom's big contribution, that within some bounds we can do what we want and the EU will be stuck in a catch-22 where they can't react strongly. Now that the cabinet is so strong in the large-brain capacity that it doesn't even need Cummings, it stands to reason that we can push harder and go further, safe in the knowledge that ???

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

We aren't getting independence sorry, the snp have one of the cushiest positions of any political party in the world, running a 1 party state where they take credit for everything good without accepting any blame for anything that goes wrong and not having any actual work to do besides putting gaelic on roadsigns

Meanwhile Scottish politics stays completely static because everyone keeps going "well at least independence might happen" for a decade now

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Hardly a one party state when all of the economic, diplomatic, and military levers are controlled by a bunch of psycho cunts in another country.

And those same psycho cunts could technically abolish your 'state' with a simple majority in parliament.

Also gaelic language protections predate devolution, and it was Labour that originally pushed to use it on public signage.

And also its a one party state where the government is in a minority.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 15, 2022

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Communist Thoughts posted:

We aren't getting independence sorry, the snp have one of the cushiest positions of any political party in the world, running a 1 party state where they take credit for everything good without accepting any blame for anything that goes wrong and not having any actual work to do besides putting gaelic on roadsigns

Meanwhile Scottish politics stays completely static because everyone keeps going "well at least independence might happen" for a decade now

Sorry mate but this is pretty dumb take, the SNP, for all their flaws, are pretty committed to the idea of independence and have put their money where their mouth is on the issue. I know it's hard to believe in the UK but some people - even politicians - do actually believe in things.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I voted yes last time and would do so again, but I don't think it will happen and I'm not sure we'd be much better off politically. I hate Westminster enough for it to outweigh any of those concerns though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

lol that the SNP aren't sincere about wanting independence, that's a hoot

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm still of the opinion that Ireland needs to reunify first before people's brains will adjust to the concept of no more UK.

The Scottish referendum will happen, headbangers will boycott, Yes (or whatever the Indy side is will win) but it'll be a lovely turnout. Nothing will change except maybe an incoming Starmer administration will devolve some more powers over traffic fines or sonething.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The best thing that an incoming Labour admin can do is require Lib and Green and SNP votes to get anything done and be forced to actually do proportional representation this time around.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

The best thing that an incoming Labour admin can do is require Lib and Green and SNP votes to get anything done and be forced to actually do proportional representation this time around.

I wonder about that. I could easily see the SNP wishing to avoid PR being implemented now that they have a sufficient plurality to win most FPTP seats in Scotland.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Likewise Labour lose interest in the idea whenever they have an outright majority, and Lib Dems will drop it in exchange for a 5p tax on teabags.

But if it's a rainbow coalition and the SNP can see it as providing more favorable/less cunty Westminster parliaments going forward, whether for deciding on devolved powers or negotiating with post-independence, they might see the advantage.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

We aren't getting independence sorry, the snp have one of the cushiest positions of any political party in the world, running a 1 party state where they take credit for everything good without accepting any blame for anything that goes wrong

I mean, that sounds exactly the same as the tories and the eu

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Why did it just produce nine photos of Priti Patel?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Starmer just used a Star Wars analogy in PMQs. It was very cringe and lame.

Now he's just used a Love Island analogy.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

it's morbin time

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Scottish Independence is a complicated affair as I fully understand the rationale while wanting to keep close ties to our siblings.

I suppose this is easily solved by indie Scotland having freedom of movement w/ the rump UK. Well I suppose it's not really a United Kingdom at that point as the idea was it was the union of the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland, and Ireland's now a republic.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Middle right and bottom right are both pretty good

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Scottish Independence is a complicated affair as I fully understand the rationale while wanting to keep close ties to our siblings.

I suppose this is easily solved by indie Scotland having freedom of movement w/ the rump UK. Well I suppose it's not really a United Kingdom at that point as the idea was it was the union of the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland, and Ireland's now a republic.

Realistically I can't see any transition to independence where there's a hard border between England and Scotland, and I don't think any but the looniest Scotnats would want one. At worst it would be a CTA situation like we have with Ireland. Ideally, I'd be hoping for a full freedom of movement/employment situation like Australia/NZ or Schengen.

E: asking because I legit don't know - can UK citizens move to/work in ROI by default or do you need visas? I know NI citizens with Irish passports can, but I'm unsure about the rest of us. I do notice that Irish citizens do qualify for lots of stuff in UK - they can stand for election to Westminster in UK constituencies for example.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

We apparently have a CTA with the whole island of Ireland https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/ireland_and_the_uk/common_travel_area_between_ireland_and_the_uk.html

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeak UK citizens can move to the Republic with no preconditions, and presumably attain citizenship after 5-7 years. They can vote in local but not general elections (although the UK allows UK-resident Irish citizens to vote in everything I believe)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

E: asking because I legit don't know - can UK citizens move to/work in ROI by default or do you need visas? I know NI citizens with Irish passports can, but I'm unsure about the rest of us. I do notice that Irish citizens do qualify for lots of stuff in UK - they can stand for election to Westminster in UK constituencies for example.

British and Irish work under Common Travel Area (CTA) rules which predate EU stuff: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/common-travel-area-guidance so free movement between the two is allowed.

No documentation required though if you work in the other respective country, tax departments will have to be notified by the employer (not 100% on this bit tbh).

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Seperation of England and Scotland will get unbelievably acrimonious around the issues of pension obligations and debt. I would bet on a hard border being more likely than not just because those issues will spiral into a total breakdown of relations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Scotland could always go "You want to keep using Faslane rather than having to sail all your nuke subs out of Plymouth? Meet your pension obligations."

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Payndz posted:

Scotland could always go "You want to keep using Faslane rather than having to sail all your nuke subs out of Plymouth? Meet your pension obligations."

The South West is full of gammons who would be delighted at the idea of having THE NUKES nearby, even more so if it brings JOBS (not jobs that they'll take though, no, just jobs that will increase demand for the houses they're renting out as their retirement plan)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
If it meant getting out of a trillion quid of pension obligations, they'd move the nukes.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lol they can keep the national debt as well while they're at it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Payndz posted:

Life in the Faslane

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
And hence, it will be massively acrimonious.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Actually, strictly speaking Scotland is entitled to one of those Vanguard-class subs, so they could keep Faslane for themselves. (We have four, so one for each country in the Union...)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/PA/status/1537043554773630978?t=eGq03wv5Hatpvg26of3OtA&s=09

The words of a very un-boring man.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Hard hitting

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

One of his advisors should tell him that clown makeup is fun and everyone loves clowns.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Payndz posted:

This won't happen because the SNP want to remain in NATO because the SNP suck rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Payndz posted:

(We have four, so one for each country in the Union...)
NI will get two, nuclear ballistic missile submarine and deputy nuclear ballistic missile submarine, to prevent the DUP threatening to unilaterally dissolve West Belfast.