Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

credburn posted:

Hmmm. If memory serves, it's a T-intersection; you can't go through. But I could be wrong. Now I need to seek out where I've seen this (two different locations in the next town over) and investigate.

If you find out more I could show it to my traffic engineer husband to get you a more accurate/detailed answer. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How.. how often do you cone across that sign while driving? :ohdear:

You see it pretty often when you're sitting at the lights turning onto a motorway and the exit lane is right next to you

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I've probably never had real wasabi

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Who cares, horseradish is amazing anyway

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

For twenty years, I've been pronouncing "Kharaa" (from the game Natural Selection) roughly like how I'd pronounce the name Cara.

I've just heard it pronounced for the first time in Subnautica: Below Zero, and it turns out the emphasis is on the second syllable.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Hyperlynx posted:

For twenty years, I've been pronouncing "Kharaa" (from the game Natural Selection) roughly like how I'd pronounce the name Cara.

I've just heard it pronounced for the first time in Subnautica: Below Zero, and it turns out the emphasis is on the second syllable.

I'm northern english and both these things are pronounced the same???

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

learnincurve posted:

Even people from the North of England can figure out syllable emphasis I reckon. Think "Tara Reid" vs Cilla Black saying "Ta-ra for now"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh both those things are still the same, sorry.

Here's one people not frum rund here do a double take at, the dude who does our tram announcements sounds exactly like Sean Bean to them, because they are both from Woodhouses

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

learnincurve posted:

Yeh both those things are still the same, sorry.

They really aren't

Which one of you did this?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
"Tara, aye ma duck, aye, grand, tatty bye then"

When you are desperate to get your nan off of the phone.

North Derbyshire and Yorkshire still have holdover words from middle English, so the random inflections and grunting are sometimes actually a different language, like reet, reight, right are three different words that in modern Oxford English would be pronounced as right

learnincurve has a new favorite as of 21:10 on Jun 14, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Captain Splendid posted:

They really aren't

Which one of you did this?

I'm skeptical of this etymology simply because I spoke Irish for 15 years without ever wishing someone farewell with "tabhair aire". We already say "slán" or "slán abhaile" which means "be safe" or "get home safe"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

learnincurve posted:

Okay then, it would be as if...

as if I just found out that the word "farmer" is actually supposed to be pronounced "farMER", after two decades of saying it wrong. Only in this hypothetical "farmer" is a fictional word, and this is where the analogy breaks down.

But in my accent I'd pronounce "farmer" and "Cara" with the same emphasis on the first syllable, and the same vowel sound on the first syllable.

Which apparently isn't universal, so: whoops!

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Jun 14, 2022

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I know you were trying to show differences in syllable stress, but ultimately I'm not content with your content.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

I know you were trying to show differences in syllable stress, but ultimately I'm not content with your content.

I think we can wrap this thread up with a bow on it, lest we all be forced to bow down to inferior british pronunciation.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

For the longest time I thought "carrot and stick" referred to a carrot on a stick. I thought "well I guess the stick prevents you from getting the carrot but this metaphor still doesn't really make sense to me".

I think I was confused because in visual depictions of the metaphor the carrot often IS on a stick, and the stick referenced in the name of the metaphor (that you beat your horse with) is often omitted entirely. Here's one that shows both. (as a bonus it will make you think big thoughts about society)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The Moon Monster posted:

For the longest time I thought "carrot and stick" referred to a carrot on a stick. I thought "well I guess the stick prevents you from getting the carrot but this metaphor still doesn't really make sense to me".

I think I was confused because in visual depictions of the metaphor the carrot often IS on a stick, and the stick referenced in the name of the metaphor (that you beat your horse with) is often omitted entirely. Here's one that shows both. (as a bonus it will make you think big thoughts about society)

I'm a bit confused about the bolded part, but the picture does explain it. The full phrase is something like "the carrot dangled on the end of the stick" and I guess that's kind of gotten shortened to "carrot on a stick" which is obscure if you haven't actually seen an example of it.

It doesn't involve literally beating the horse though. It's just that if the person is sitting on the horse and also holding the carrot in front of it at sufficient length, the horse may think it can get closer to the carrot by walking forwards, but it actually never will.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm a bit confused about the bolded part, but the picture does explain it. The full phrase is something like "the carrot dangled on the end of the stick" and I guess that's kind of gotten shortened to "carrot on a stick" which is obscure if you haven't actually seen an example of it.

It doesn't involve literally beating the horse though. It's just that if the person is sitting on the horse and also holding the carrot in front of it at sufficient length, the horse may think it can get closer to the carrot by walking forwards, but it actually never will.

My understanding of that phrase is "you can get the carrot or you can get the stick" meaning "you can get a treat or you can get a punishment". Either way you're going to do what I want you to do.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

What no. The phrase "the carrot and the stick" involves offering something an incentive to do something and a punishment if it does not. So with a horse you are holding a carrot out in front of it to get to walk forward but also threatening to beat it with a stick if it doesn't. The second part is what The Moon Monster hadn't understood about it and that comic demonstrates it.

The confusion I suppose is coming from the cartoonish concept of holding a reward tied to a stick that cannot actually be reached. While as in that comic it makes a convenient way to demonstrate the metaphor, the "carrot and the stick" phrase does not imply that the reward cannot be obtained. If the subject does what is wanted they do get the carrot and if they don't, they get hit by the stick.

Regy Rusty has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Jun 15, 2022

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

I can't tell if this is a bit so I'm gonna assume not. The phrase is carrot and stick because it refers to motivating someone both with the promise of a reward and with the threat of punishment, and has nothing to do with the carrot being on a stick.

Edit: looks like it's me who has been metaphorically beaten!

Organza Quiz has a new favorite as of 15:19 on Jun 15, 2022

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
*running into the thread, breathlessly*

Has anyone told them they're wrong yet?!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Captain Monkey posted:

*running into the thread, breathlessly*

Has anyone told them they're wrong yet?!

But like they are so wrong tho? And they have never heard about Teddy Roosevelt saying "wtalk softly, and carry a big stick" tho?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

But like they are so wrong tho? And they have never heard about Teddy Roosevelt saying "wtalk softly, and carry a big stick" tho?

I never understood that quote. I know he said it and it's a famous quote but whatever it's meaning to say is lost on me. I guess I imagine that guy from that movie who beat up his old town with a 2x4.

SYCBYJFO: Today I see Microsoft Internet Explorer is officially gone, and it made me realize... Edge is not just Internet Explorer with a hip new name? It's actually an entirely different browser meant to look basically the same and function as a means for me to download the browsers I want?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

credburn posted:

I never understood that quote. I know he said it and it's a famous quote but whatever it's meaning to say is lost on me. I guess I imagine that guy from that movie who beat up his old town with a 2x4.

It's the idea that your approach with others should be nice and diplomatic as much as possible, but to also show them you have the power to back yourself up forcefully if need be.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

credburn posted:

SYCBYJFO: Today I see Microsoft Internet Explorer is officially gone, and it made me realize... Edge is not just Internet Explorer with a hip new name? It's actually an entirely different browser meant to look basically the same and function as a means for me to download the browsers I want?

Yeah, but it's also named after a Halo thing, and everybody loves Halo, right?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

AFewBricksShy posted:

My understanding of that phrase is "you can get the carrot or you can get the stick" meaning "you can get a treat or you can get a punishment". Either way you're going to do what I want you to do.

I guess I've just learned something new then, because I've never heard that phrase. I've only heard the metaphor of the carrot being dangled at the end of a stick -- motivating you with the promise of something that you may or may not ever actually get. (The subtext being that the act of walking "toward" the carrot is not actually directly related to getting it, it's just arbitrarily handed to you afterward if the person wielding it decides you've earned it.)

"The carrot or the stick" sounds to me like a clever/cruel twist on the above metaphor. Although after some googling, it sounds like nobody really knows which one was first. Since there are 2 different sticks involved, it's pretty much linguistically impossible to determine from old texts.

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Jun 15, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Lemming posted:

"The carrot or the stick" sounds to me like a clever/cruel twist on the above metaphor. Although after some googling, it sounds like nobody really knows which one was first. Since there are 2 different sticks involved, it's pretty much linguistically impossible to determine from old texts.

All the dictionaries I checked said that the correct phrasing of the idiom is "the carrot or the stick" and there's several sources going back to the mid 1800s describing a donkey race where one rider whips their donkey and the other tempts it with a carrot dangling from a stick: https://archive.org/details/narrativelateex00unkngoog/page/n161/mode/2up

It's pretty much a variant of "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
are we all sure we are not thinking of two separate carrot stick sayings? I can imagine in the 1700s two people in different countries both popularising their own version and confusing people with it for centuries afterwards.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

All the dictionaries I checked said that the correct phrasing of the idiom is "the carrot or the stick" and there's several sources going back to the mid 1800s describing a donkey race where one rider whips their donkey and the other tempts it with a carrot dangling from a stick: https://archive.org/details/narrativelateex00unkngoog/page/n161/mode/2up

It's pretty much a variant of "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"

I think the confusion is that the carrot "at the end of the stick" is less of a phrase and more just like, a concept? Whereas "the carrot or the stick" is more of an actual phrase. The former is sort of embedded in the latter.

To me they both seem equally devious, just in different ways. It honestly never occurred to me that the dangling carrot was supposed to be considered positive reinforcement.

The OP didn't seem to understand how the dangling carrot could be an effective metaphor in and of itself. And now I'm still unsure if it ever was. I guess I'll just never get this metaphor, it's like Lucy kicking Charlie Brown's carrot.

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 18:34 on Jun 15, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Kantesu posted:

Yeah, but it's also named after a Halo thing, and everybody loves Halo, right?

Haha, it was a long time after I got Windows 10 that I saw the Cortana thing, and I kept thinking that name was weirdly familiar but I couldn't remember why until my ex reminded me it was that voice from Halo (I only played the first one; didn't they sexy her up or something later?)

Got to say I find it kind of weird to incorporate video game terms and elements into the OS. Maybe that says something about the current generation working at Microsoft. If it had been me I would have called Edge something more relevant to my generation, like Clippy's World Wide Web MS Paint Thread Accessor

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Depends how much vinegar you use and how hungry the flies are.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4562214/

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

credburn posted:

I didn't even know Edge was a browser until the Internet Explorer announcement came out because I've never clicked on it. (Was I confusing it with that weird tile based interface they put into Windows 8?) Microsoft somehow managed to top the Nintendo WiiU in failing to make it clear that they made a new product.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

I didn't even know Edge was a browser until the Internet Explorer announcement came out because I've never clicked on it. (Was I confusing it with that weird tile based interface they put into Windows 8?) Microsoft somehow managed to top the Nintendo WiiU in failing to make it clear that they made a new product.

How have you never opened it? :psyduck:
I see it pop up regularly even without me intentionally using it because it's wired into doing searches from the windows menu (if what you type doesn't match something on your computer), or things like me accidentally clicking the lock screen wallpaper opens an Edge search page showing the wallpaper's details.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I felt like MS was pushing Edge really hard.

I think it's a Chromium based browser?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

credburn posted:

Think going to a meeting with mob boss who is very polite and a good host but also has a bunch of goons hanging around.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

Think going to a meeting with mob boss who is very polite and a good host but also has a bunch of goons hanging around.

No thanks, I try to avoid goons as much as possible

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

"Walk slowly and dangle a big carrot from a stick, while carrying a separate big stick in your other hand" iirc.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hell, also same from supposedly Al Capone but differently worded in "you get further with a loaded gun and a polite word than you get with just a polite word"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Edging makes more sense now that I put it in context of using a browser. I always thought it was a sex thing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

credburn posted:

Edging makes more sense now that I put it in context of using a browser. I always thought it was a sex thing.

It's still a sex thing, Microsoft, stop trying to make 'Edge' happen, it's NOT going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Yeah I'm not feeling the edge either. :flaccid: