Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Antivehicular posted:

Hashtag healing, hashtag inflictwounds, hashtag negativeenergy

lmao

also bravo Ettin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

Circling back to this to add some context, while it's true that the way you get rich is by loving people over even if you have the money not to have to do so, one of the Kickstarters they stiffed people on raised somewhere in the neighborhood of $300,000 so they definitely had money with which to pay people what they were owed, which means they could have legitimately paid their freelancers and a lot of this poo poo would have never even gone public. There's a lot of other terrible behavior here to be sure, sexual harassment and bullying and abuse of all sorts, but as noted earlier in the thread if they'd simply paid their fuckin freelancers then a lot of this would have continued going unremarked as merely business as usual for the TRPG industry.

What's funny is like at least another 25% of these exchanges that have been screenshotted wouldn't have happened with Jamison Stone if he could stop himself from talking like a JRPG final boss for a single paragraph.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Nuns with Guns posted:

What's funny is like at least another 25% of these exchanges that have been screenshotted wouldn't have happened with Jamison Stone if he could stop himself from talking like a JRPG final boss for a single paragraph.

https://twitter.com/Gen_Ironicus/status/1535655561995460609

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is starting to make more sense, they get everyone to be intimidated by/focus on what incredible assholes they are so that nobody notices the theft.
That could be it: if the cost of getting your money back is having to interact further with Satine and Jamison, many people would say "gently caress it, I would pay twice that amount of money to simply never deal with them again."

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Warthur posted:

That could be it: if the cost of getting your money back is having to interact further with Satine and Jamison, many people would say "gently caress it, I would pay twice that amount of money to simply never deal with them again."

This is a standard tactic by a certain type of shitlord, and it is very deliberate. They always know exactly what they're doing (and it tends to be exactly this, too - screwing over freelancers for their own ego). They rely on people cutting their losses and not badmouthing them in a way that sticks, and not wanting to risk legal action.

They'll never risk doing it to someone powerful or well-known enough that people would take a complaint from them seriously.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’s a good con while it lasts.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Okay? I saw that tweet before, yes. There certainly would be more people who would be willing to hold their noses and deal with their bullshit if they were getting fair and timely pay. I'm not disagreeing there. It's just on top of it all a lot of those exchanges wouldn't even happen if Jamison Stone could resist reminding people he's a superior being and he's one bad day away from cleansing the world by dropping a meteor on us. Like it's not enough to just berate and gaslight people, but they have to prostrate themselves to his ascendant power.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 15, 2022

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

Okay? I saw that tweet before, yes. There certainly would be more people who would be willing to hold their noses and deal with their bullshit if they were getting fair and timely pay. I'm not disagreeing there. It's just on top of it all a lot of those exchanges wouldn't even happen if Jamison Stone could resist reminding people he's a superior being and he's one bad day away from cleansing the world by dropping a meteor us. Like it's not enough to just berate and gaslight people, but they have to prostrate themselves to his ascendant power.

So far as I can work out this Jamison Stone dude is the sort of person you get in the influencer space who is famous largely because they have told you they are famous a lot, I suspect part of the way you get good at that is you simply never turn off the self-promotion circuit in your brain.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Nuns with Guns posted:

Okay? I saw that tweet before, yes. There certainly would be more people who would be willing to hold their noses and deal with their bullshit if they were getting fair and timely pay. I'm not disagreeing there. It's just on top of it all a lot of those exchanges wouldn't even happen if Jamison Stone could resist reminding people he's a superior being and he's one bad day away from cleansing the world by dropping a meteor us. Like it's not enough to just berate and gaslight people, but they have to prostrate themselves to his ascendant power.

Yeah, my immediate reference with this was Luke Crane, who did his capricious wizard voice bullshit and involuntary Kickstarter cancellation stuff but was more often than not tolerated because he (as far as I know) paid people on time and ran well-regarded projects. It took the Koebel incident for him to be fully called out.

It's still absolutely astounding at how arrogant Stone was for someone who, as far as I can tell, did no writing work on his own projects and whose most creative ideas as an idea guy was "what if bards were cool" and "me, but with a sword and glowing eyes."

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Nuns with Guns posted:

Okay? I saw that tweet before, yes. There certainly would be more people who would be willing to hold their noses and deal with their bullshit if they were getting fair and timely pay. I'm not disagreeing there. It's just on top of it all a lot of those exchanges wouldn't even happen if Jamison Stone could resist reminding people he's a superior being and he's one bad day away from cleansing the world by dropping a meteor on us. Like it's not enough to just berate and gaslight people, but they have to prostrate themselves to his ascendant power.

It's not uncommon for certain people to constantly be harboring fantasies of having a bag of silver bullets they could destroy everyone around them with at any time (you are supposed to backpat them for not doing this).

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://twitter.com/lysapenrose/status/1536878044962430976
https://twitter.com/lysapenrose/status/1536878047869079552
https://twitter.com/lysapenrose/status/1536878051320995840
Rotten to the loving core, goddamn.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
It's worth noting that in 2018 Lysa was an admin for Adventurers League, so this has me Curious. :thunk:

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

DressCodeBlue posted:

It's worth noting that in 2018 Lysa was an admin for Adventurers League, so this has me Curious. :thunk:

She's also very entwined with Wizards, so I'm curious what isn't being said.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
In retrospect, the fact that his official character in Sirens Battle Of The Bards, the thing they are directly selling as a product, presumably his upcoming character on Twitch (I can only assume, but c'mon), is himself but as an elf with a lightsaber? Buddy, you're not even trying to hide that you don't actually care about any of this. Just nakedly acknowledging that this is part of a grift.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That’s not part of the grift, that’s just evidence that he’s so loving boring that his character is a literal self insert.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s not part of the grift, that’s just evidence that he’s so loving boring that his character is a literal self insert.

*coughs loudly in the direction of own avatar*

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Froghammer posted:

In retrospect, the fact that his official character in Sirens Battle Of The Bards, the thing they are directly selling as a product, presumably his upcoming character on Twitch (I can only assume, but c'mon), is himself but as an elf with a lightsaber? Buddy, you're not even trying to hide that you don't actually care about any of this. Just nakedly acknowledging that this is part of a grift.

For those who haven't looked, it's as bad as it sounds.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

And I believe the tattoos are originally the character’s and he got them on himself because he’s a massive loving mark.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tell me you have only a surface level understanding of Buddhism without saying so.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What's with this guy's Ultimate Warrior cosplay? Are they tactical bicep ribbons?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

this decker reboot looks sick

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

bruh, please

Like I don't object to Fantasy Buddhism, I don't even object to just having it be regular Buddhism with some minor adjustments, but c'mon, man.

also elves would almost certainly be lovely buddhists due to their expansive natural lifespans albeit the usual figure of about a thousand years likely isn't quite long enough for the relative effect

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Are Buddhists heavy into vengeful crusades

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

What's with this guy's Ultimate Warrior cosplay? Are they tactical bicep ribbons?

Ultimate Warrior was a giant piece of poo poo grifter with a dumb lovely wife so it makes sense.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Guess that was the Penultimate Warrior.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nessus posted:

bruh, please

Like I don't object to Fantasy Buddhism, I don't even object to just having it be regular Buddhism with some minor adjustments, but c'mon, man.

also elves would almost certainly be lovely buddhists due to their expansive natural lifespans albeit the usual figure of about a thousand years likely isn't quite long enough for the relative effect

otoh I think there's a seed for some pretty cool concepts with elves having a religion based on trying to withdraw from a karmic cycle of rebirth specifically because they're long lived, so could build up quite a ledger of pain.
You could even crib a bit from the Eberon ancestor cult by having liches in a sort of bodhisattva role, where they're both inches away from escape, but also still sticking around due to helping others along the path.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Why is he holding the sword by the blade

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
People paid a lot of money for that poo poo. A lot of money.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Historically yes. They are a religion, and have done all the poo poo other religions have done, good and bad.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

Historically yes. They are a religion, and have done all the poo poo other religions have done, good and bad.

"Historically"? The Rohingya genocide is ongoing.

It's not "Buddhists", it's "some Buddhists", though.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Piell posted:

Look, you don’t know how magic swords work.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

It is not exactly a key tenet of the religion, although it, like all faiths that have been around any length of time, has been used by people to justify horrible poo poo.

Like if I looked at this guy from a Buddhist perspective the tragedy would be him falling into the binds of his karma and literally going to the hell realm to fight fire elephants and poo poo instead of embracing a wisdom path and seeking to liberate all suffering beings. There is as yet no Buddhist equivalent of DragonRaid; the marketplace has failed me.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Travel to hell and punch Karma into Bhuddisatan.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Kurieg posted:

Travel to hell Naraka Hell Realm and punch Karma into Bhuddisatan.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mors Rattus posted:

Tell me you have only a surface level understanding of Buddhism without saying so.

You’re getting all the way up to surface level of understanding? Most of the stuff I’ve seen from him was just bullshit with a hippie store palette swap, so I’d argue it’s an actively misleading understanding.

Motherfucker is basically Kevin Klein in A Fish Called Wanda.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kurieg posted:

Travel to hell and punch Karma into Bhuddisatan.
Devadatta probably DOES have an rear end-kicking coming :hmmyes:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Xiahou Dun posted:

You’re getting all the way up to surface level of understanding? Most of the stuff I’ve seen from him was just bullshit with a hippie store palette swap, so I’d argue it’s an actively misleading understanding.

Motherfucker is basically Kevin Klein in A Fish Called Wanda.

I mean, dude was apparently involved in a “Buddhist inspired” liberal arts school in Colorado.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomTudbury/status/1535273524683603968
https://mobile.twitter.com/TomTudbury/status/1535276303691022336

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Nessus posted:

I think Elves being lovely Buddhists could be pretty great, if they persist at it despite being lovely at it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I don't know much about Naropa but they have been around for a while, although being 'the Buddhist themed institution, associated with Jack Kerouac, and located in Boulder' sounds like a definite recipe for "more crackpots than a discount pottery bin"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Piell posted:

Is he holding the sword at all? That looks to me like the artist forgot he was supposed to have a sword and just drew it separately and slapped it in the vague vicinity of his right hand.