Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I know polls are and have been incredibly low for both Biden and Democrats, but if we tallied up every single "BAD POLLS" cartoon drawn this year, I feel pretty drat confident Goodwyn would win easily. No one should try to do that, though, there are so loving many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

drat I'm amazed he didn't throw "gaffes" in there.
Is it just me or is this all conservative cartoonists even have anymore? It's just comics about low polling, or some random hodge-podge of a dozen buzzwords thrown onto a canvas.
"DEBT", "BORDER", "DIVISION". "LIBERAL POLICIES!!!!"
And half of these are just different ways of saying "bad economy" anyway. It's so drat boring. I know if they had something stronger they'd go with it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lmao jesus loving christ

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Holy poo poo.

e: ^fb

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Vib Rib posted:

drat I'm amazed he didn't throw "gaffes" in there.
Is it just me or is this all conservative cartoonists even have anymore? It's just comics about low polling, or some random hodge-podge of a dozen buzzwords thrown onto a canvas.
"DEBT", "BORDER", "DIVISION". "LIBERAL POLICIES!!!!"
And half of these are just different ways of saying "bad economy" anyway. It's so drat boring. I know if they had something stronger they'd go with it.

They are extremely mad that everyone described trump's presidency as a dumpster fire so now that's all they're drawing. Fires with bad things written on them, with Joe doing nothing and/or putting fuel* on the fire!

*LIBERAL POLICIES HAHA AREN'T I CLEVER

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

lmao jesus loving christ

Fister Roboto posted:

lmao jesus loving christ

:eyepop: what the gently caress was he thinking with that cartoon goddamn

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Great Replacement

Ted Rall posted:

“The great replacement theory” is a conspiracy theory that looks at the shrinking proportion of white Americans and explains it as the result of a left-leaning plot to replace whites with people of color who are more likely to vote to the left. It has gained mainstream currency within the Republican Party and on Fox News.

First Dog on the Moon: Australia's lowest paid workers (some of them) are (sort of) getting a pay rise! Don't be ungracious

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I don't even know where to start.

bartok
May 10, 2006

An In Living Color reference how timely. It's only been off the air since 1994.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Worst Overall. I just can't think of a single loving interpretation of this that doesn't end with my mouth tasting like copper.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kellies Nomination: Worst Overall because just loving look at it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Most Tasteless Analogy could be a good category. There are plenty that use Pearl Harbour imagery for example.

That Danziger would sweep it of course

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What's even more impressive is he knows his caricatures are so poo poo that he has to title it, unclear himself of who he has drawn. What a choice. What the gently caress? I feel like someone mentioned doing a write-up on Danzinger and is there something to it because how does this happen?

China Daily

Selective Attention by Luo Jie

There's another article but we've seen most of the comics but there is this rad one:

Le Monde

by Osama Hajjaj from Jordan

Charlie Hebdo

Heatwave: The government wants to re-wild cities

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What's even more impressive is he knows his caricatures are so poo poo that he has to title it, unclear himself of who he has drawn. What a choice. What the gently caress? I feel like someone mentioned doing a write-up on Danzinger and is there something to it because how does this happen?

China Daily
There's another article but we've seen most of the comics but there is this rad one:

I've been dragging my feet on the Danzinger writeup, I'll get on it.

Also Kellies nomination: Most badass

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It is super weird that China Daily thinks Americans genuinely care about the One China policy. Americans are the target audience of the website right? Shouldn't the comics be framing it as American engaging in unnecessary brinkmanship rather than having it all be about harming the policy, as though the idea of One China is somehow good or important in and of itself? This is another one of those right wingers saying "border crisis" because they think everyone else hates Latinos as much as they do and any immigration is a crisis ain't it?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Zero_Grade posted:

One thing that's been bugging me for a while: why the hell does Stiglich draw Biden with an enormous honker? His nose is completely average to the point of not being notable in the least! On anyone else I'd think it was an antisemitic thing, but obviously Biden is very well known for being Catholic. It's not even that recent of a thing for the artist (although it's gotten much more noticeable since 2020). I just don't get it.

At least 1/3 would be goons if SA was around back then.

I think it is a kinda background antisemitisism. It's not that Stiglich thinks Biden is jewish, but he draws a nazi style stereotypical nose on any powerful figure that he dislikes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Terrible Opinions posted:

It is super weird that China Daily thinks Americans genuinely care about the One China policy. Americans are the target audience of the website right? Shouldn't the comics be framing it as American engaging in unnecessary brinkmanship rather than having it all be about harming the policy, as though the idea of One China is somehow good or important in and of itself? This is another one of those right wingers saying "border crisis" because they think everyone else hates Latinos as much as they do and any immigration is a crisis ain't it?

Isn't that what the cartoon shows? A flaming Uncle Sam flying into a powder keg for no discernable reason?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I agree, but there are a handful of factors that may complicate and explain it (and I've not studied Chinese propaganda well enough to know which ones dominate):

a) the target audience may primarily consist of expats. I recall that a lot of PRC resources go into monitoring and controlling chinese citizens abroad. These folks may be more tied into the existing Chinese media structure, and thus more susceptible to this line of reasoning.
b) the folks developing the propaganda (and most importantly, the folks reviewing it) are themselves subject to their domestic control and propaganda system. Over time, such systems poison the ability of participants to consider outside information or, through the control elements, speak to outside audiences persuasively. Effectively, the propaganda's persuasive targeting is limited by the fact that it still has to toe the party line.
c) China Daily's just the obvious, semi-"white" propaganda outlet. It serves in part to legitimize or obfuscate other persuasion methods, and to generate material that can be re-mediated.
d) Despite all this, it can still be effective as is. If the cartoons weren't initially contextualized as state propaganda, we'd probably be having the exact same drat "AGC, really" discourse about it that we do with Rall.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That all makes sense

Discendo Vox posted:

d) Despite all this, it can still be effective as is. If the cartoons weren't initially contextualized as state propaganda, we'd probably be having the exact same drat "AGC, really" discourse about it that we do with Rall.
My only point of disagreement is here. By phrasing it as "taiwan question" or "one china policy" it is inherently self identifying as being from a PRC viewpoint. The same way a RT comic that actually came out and called Ukrainians "little Russians" or had a little catch phrase for saying Ukrainian was a made up ethnicity would self identify as propaganda.

HootTheOwl posted:

Isn't that what the cartoon shows? A flaming Uncle Sam flying into a powder keg for no discernable reason?
It ends up there but is one step more removed than most political comics would allow.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

what the fuuuuuuuuck

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kikas posted:

:eyepop: what the gently caress was he thinking with that cartoon goddamn

Sooooo many cartoonists have referenced that photo over the years and every single one of them was bad and tasteless

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the UK government’s thwarted Rwanda deportation plan - The first flight removing people to the east African country was cancelled at the last minute on Tuesday night after a ruling by the European court of human rights"

Telegraph:

Nicola Sturgeon: Scots ‘desperate to escape UK’s mess’

Matt:

Independent:

Migrants pulled from ‘completely moral’ Rwanda flight ‘will be on next one’, warns Liz Truss

Times:

Evening Standard:

:sun: It's hot! :supaburn:

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
New Jon McNaughton just dropped and hoooooo boy

https://twitter.com/McNaughtonArt/status/1537112713179975681?t=HNDqT54zl54aJeI6wvtEZA&s=19

Also, a poem:

https://jonmcnaughton.com/politically-incorrect/

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Imagine thinking that makes your beliefs look good

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Well all right then.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

All lives matter says man clutching an AR-15 to use in case of *checks patches* immigrants or gays

bartok
May 10, 2006

Is that supposed to be MLK?

Analdeath
Aug 12, 2007

Chilled-out entertainer.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was thinking about it yesterday due to something I saw on discord, but the MORE BAD NEWS on the newspaper made me think of it again.

Does anyone have the Gary McCoy (pretty sure it was Gary, could have been Glenn but I doubt it) parody of the guy jumping in the air and saying WOO GOOD THING while an old couple holds a newspaper that says GOOD THING ACTUALLY BAD THING

yeop

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Australian minimum wage increased by 5.2 per cent in Fair Work Commission decision (ABC).

Rowe:

NEM = National Energy Market. David Westerman is CEO of the Australian Energy Market Operator. Chris Bowen is the current energy minister, Angus Taylor the former (in previous government). Australia's national electricity market has been suspended for the first time. How did it come to this? (SBS).

Knight:

National minimum wage to rise in July, but inflation rate leads to cut in real wages for workers on awards (ABC).

Spooner:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Haha the climate models forgot that it gets cold in winter. Won't they feel stupid in 6 months time.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

BIDEN’S UNBEARABLE ECONOMY

“I don’t want to hear any more of their lies . . . about reckless spending. We’re changing people’s lives!”

— Joe Biden

The aging, criminal grifter Biden and his Democrats spent money they did not have with reckless abandon. Yet somehow few of their experts thought it could end up triggering the current inflation conflagration. Joe certainly couldn’t see the connection and now that inflation is as plain as one of his son’s hookers, he’d would rather blame it on others. Rising prices at the pumps? That’s “Putin’s gas price hike” according to Joe.

Inflation? Joe would rather talk about how his economy is booming. He already took credit for the stock market bubble and its rise into the stratosphere. Now that it’s falling into bear market territory, look for him to blame someone—anyone—other than himself. Biden has said the buck stops at his desk, but he’s not the type to admit his complicity in any wrong doing. He’d rather spew outrageous and obvious lies first.

The Federal Reserve chairpeople rarely admit their responsibility for their foul ups, either. From Greenspan to Powell, it’s never their fault even though the fault lies squarely on the shoulders of the Federal Reserve itself. They print unlimited debt dollars, which are enjoyed by those at the top who first receive them. Those bucks are spent at their peak buying power, but as they trickle down, inflation is triggered and the average American pays the price.

Janet Yellen has been particularly wrong about her inflation predictions. She saw any inflation as being ‘transitory.’ Both she and the current Fed chairman Powell have been completely wrong even as they printed a mountain of currency to solve government problems. (Problems that government helped create themselves). It doesn’t take an economic genius to predict inflation when the money supply is flooded as the supply chain is shut down. It boils down to too many dollars chasing too few goods. Gasoline is the most obvious example. Biden shutting down domestic production in favor of the far-left’s untenable green energy agenda was the epitome of stupidity, but Joe is stubborn and militantly ignorant. He will angrily stick with his plan and never admit wrong doing.

Yellen did admit she was wrong about her chirpy optimism when it came to inflation, but she will suffer no consequence. Those at the top are never held accountable. They may make things worse or even trigger a new crisis, but instead of getting fired they usually accrue more power from the problems they helped to create. This is what the Fed has done. They were not only allowed to pump up the stock market through their BlackRock and Vanguard arms, but also buy real estate. They once had to consult Congress before bailing out ’too big to fail’ banks. Now they bail out whomever they want and the corruption must be off the charts. Soon the Fed will own and control everything and we gave them a money printing press while trusting them as economic geniuses. Politicians won’t allow the Fed to be audited, because they didn’t want to violate the Fed’s ‘sovereignty.’ Really? What’s so special about their sovereignty? They are screw ups! They have failed time and time again while hurting the country, but to be sure, they are sovereign. They are in charge. Not Congress and certainly not ‘We The People.’

Janet Yellen should be fired. The Federal Reserve should be audited and then ended. Their original mandate to prevent booms and busts has not been met. Instead, the Fed caused too many booms and busts themselves. They and their central banker owners got fabulously richer at every turn. Now, thanks to their control over our currency, we’re facing another bust. Look for the top of the pyramid to profit from it while citizens pay the price. Once again.

— Ben Garrison

I guess the coin waterfall is as much of a mention Garrison will make for crypto crashing again. Seems like he's just done with them. Little surprised he didn't mention gold or silver, though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I thought crypto was decentralized and self governing, shouldn't that prevent Biden from pulling the "crash bitcoin" lever in his office?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Zero_Grade posted:

One thing that's been bugging me for a while: why the hell does Stiglich draw Biden with an enormous honker? His nose is completely average to the point of not being notable in the least! On anyone else I'd think it was an antisemitic thing, but obviously Biden is very well known for being Catholic. It's not even that recent of a thing for the artist (although it's gotten much more noticeable since 2020). I just don't get it.
It's still antisemitic, even if Biden isn't Jewish, because it uses antisemitic stereotypical drawings to depict their political enemy and use it as short-hand for "bad greedy person". It isn't any different than drawing a black person with big lips or an Asian person with narrow eyes and pronounced front teeth.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

drat lol Branco almost got one right.

There we go

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That's a pretty jaunty, nautical sort of cap for a POTUS seal, I wonder if it's an official thing or just a product of Branco's long running delirium-inducing fever. I wouldn't expect it to exist but then again I would've said you were a liar if you told me the Air Force maintains a suite of huge ceremonial anime swords

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

bartok posted:

An In Living Color reference how timely. It's only been off the air since 1994.

1994 makes it downright modern by political cartoon standards.

Thank you for this!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

That's a pretty jaunty, nautical sort of cap for a POTUS seal, I wonder if it's an official thing or just a product of Branco's long running delirium-inducing fever. I wouldn't expect it to exist but then again I would've said you were a liar if you told me the Air Force maintains a suite of huge ceremonial anime swords

It's a reference to the character of Fire Marshall Bill

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Okay I should've recognized that lmao

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

VitalSigns posted:

How much of his comedy involves straining his neck really hard and making a face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I dont know posted:

I think it is a kinda background antisemitisism. It's not that Stiglich thinks Biden is jewish, but he draws a nazi style stereotypical nose on any powerful figure that he dislikes.

Mordaedil posted:

It's still antisemitic, even if Biden isn't Jewish, because it uses antisemitic stereotypical drawings to depict their political enemy and use it as short-hand for "bad greedy person". It isn't any different than drawing a black person with big lips or an Asian person with narrow eyes and pronounced front teeth.
Yeah that's fair. While it is wildly stupid and nonsensical (so much so that I considered this as a possibility but dismissed it as too dumb), it's good to be reminded that doesn't make it any less of a generally bad thing to do for the reasons pointed out. So thanks you two for the input and gently caress you Stiglich!