Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Btw. How does the Phantom hide his boner? Is there some ancient jungle wisdom for it?
Probably a cup shaped like a skull and a dance belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Twelve by Pies posted:

Did old timey people really want to beat the poo poo out of actors for no apparent reason?

I'm assuming in this case, most actors seemed to be snake oil salesmen peddling bullshit that didn't work. I could be wrong though.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Good Listener posted:

I'm assuming in this case, most actors seemed to be snake oil salesmen peddling bullshit that didn't work. I could be wrong though.

You can see some of the same attitude with the treatment of Dugan & Dixon in Our Boarding House. Actors, and show folk in general, were seen as weird, untrustworthy, and worst of all, frequently broke and unable to pay their bills. Plus, most performers were constantly traveling from town to town, which meant they never put down roots and were outsiders wherever they went.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Good Listener posted:

“But now - WOW!”
[cartoon of actor shilling crypto investments]

(I expect Selachian has the right idea, really)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Doomykins posted:

Nancy and Trail are barely better than their predecessors by default and at times not. I think new Trail is genuinely worse than the greatly entertaining diabetes yeti "I can draw, I don't trace!" fever dream we got.

Thimble Theater is months of meandering nonsense but it's still snappier and funnier than most strips. I've got faith in the new Sunday Popeye but if it ends up like the other new strips it'll be a shame.

And to the idea that strips should update instead of retreading yesteryear: what if zombie strips just retired instead? Maybe some new talent could emerge instead of licensing out mediocre webcomic artists looking for steady pay and morphing into zombie/bad artists themselves. Admittedly I'm an incurable grouch and new Nancy has ended up on the bottom side of the scale for me. I'd probably be happier moving it to the scroll-past list.

Thimble Theatre works because its pace is slow enough to become a gag-a-day strip on a moving background and premise, arguably a forerunner to how modern strips do gag weeks. The narrative strips become agonizing because they're repetitive and not individually entertaining.

I'll still take modern Trail because it's weird at times and not just clip art faces staring at each other.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

:allears:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver Autumn Special

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Karen Grote has done her best with Lottie. As parenting tasks go, it’s been like trying to herd cats made of mercury in the dark.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 15, 2022

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

CommonShore posted:

Thimble Theatre works because its pace is slow enough to become a gag-a-day strip on a moving background and premise, arguably a forerunner to how modern strips do gag weeks. The narrative strips become agonizing because they're repetitive and not individually entertaining.

I'll still take modern Trail because it's weird at times and not just clip art faces staring at each other.

Oh yeah, Segar had a knack for variations on themes inside of his overall stories, and when he hits that sweet spot you don't mind that the plot's idling. Of course, when everything isn't clicking you spend an eternity with the fooey hound.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 6, 1934)

Peanuts, in which Chuck reconnects with the hero he deserves. (June 18, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 14, 1939)

Out Our Way (February 2-4, 1939)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

L-Innsikt

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Aww, poor Arlo.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Now this here - that's gold

A thaler was a coin in use through the 15th through 19th century (extremely roughly), so long out of use by the 1930s. Müller is possibly the most generic name in the German language and it tickles me to think of the equivalent to "the Dread Pirate Bob."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "278 - Jucika Makes You Want To Do The Job"

"279 - Jucika In An Open-Air Theater"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

You got your Intelligent Life in my Mary Worth!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

I always thought it was 'font' in this context, but apparently 'fount' and 'font' are interchangeable.

Apartment 3-G

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

This Savarna feels really off.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A Single Sphink posted:

It's around the third or fourth distinct model I've seen.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

A Single Sphink posted:

Yeah, I was about to say.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

You know, the first time I saw Sara wearing that hubba hubba crop top shirt I immediately thought it was odd that this would be the uniform for a camp employee. Nevertheless, I remain annoyed that she's wearing an appropriate one now. For uh, continuity reasons, I assure you.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Selachian posted:

You can see some of the same attitude with the treatment of Dugan & Dixon in Our Boarding House. Actors, and show folk in general, were seen as weird, untrustworthy, and worst of all, frequently broke and unable to pay their bills. Plus, most performers were constantly traveling from town to town, which meant they never put down roots and were outsiders wherever they went.

That makes sense! Thanks for the info~

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

"Meat The Press" was right there Holbrook!!! Augh!!!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

A Single Sphink posted:

Yeah I noticed that, and now that you mention it, Mike Manley's name has been removed from the signatures in the strip all this week. I suspect someone else is drawing it, whether that's temporary or not I don't know.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Twelve by Pies posted:

Did old timey people really want to beat the poo poo out of actors for no apparent reason?

Good Listener posted:

May I recommend a seminal work on the subject

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Vargo posted:

Yeeeaaahhh but incognito modes don't let me use my handy-dandy "upload to imgur" plugin, and I don't wanna bother putting back in all my passwords after clearing my cookies. This is all too much effort for Curtis.

Which is basically what's keeping me from just subscribing to begin with. Like, yes, I have gotten a lot of enjoyment from Comics Kingdoms' product and I should financially support them, but on the other hand, I'm not paying money to read loving Curtis.

Is there any particular reason why you don't just forage for them in a different browser you don't normally use so there's no passwords for the cookies to clear?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
you want me to handle curtis, chief

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Murdstone posted:

Yeah I noticed that, and now that you mention it, Mike Manley's name has been removed from the signatures in the strip all this week. I suspect someone else is drawing it, whether that's temporary or not I don't know.

Moz has taken control!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

OK, so help me out if I missed something here, but Warbucks is inventing the Lazarus Process to save us from peak oil, right? And he's offering it to the government for free, since he just wants people to use it? So why does he care if anyone else uses it without permission? Isn't the whole point of the plan to get people to use it?

I'm asking that question because it's a better question than Annie's very stupid one. Because he wants money too you dummy!

quote:

I am in eager anticipation of a premise as silly as, what if Spider-Man attempted to try out for a professional football team?

Haifisch posted:

Computoon: Origins

"Assorted Colors" is killing me here.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Giant Ethicist posted:

Q-Rais Talks to Himself

Hm. I can't tell whether the sweat drop reaction is to the gorillas or the alligators. I find I like this comic more when it's disconnected anecdotes like this, rather than awkward build-up to some random recipe.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Some Guy TT posted:

Hm. I can't tell whether the sweat drop reaction is to the gorillas or the alligators. I find I like this comic more when it's disconnected anecdotes like this, rather than awkward build-up to some random recipe.

Mostly what I've gotten from this is that she's been haunting him long enough to know his parents old dog.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

OK, so help me out if I missed something here, but Warbucks is inventing the Lazarus Process to save us from peak oil, right? And he's offering it to the government for free, since he just wants people to use it? So why does he care if anyone else uses it without permission? Isn't the whole point of the plan to get people to use it?

I'm asking that question because it's a better question than Annie's very stupid one. Because he wants money too you dummy!

Warbucks wants to give it to the American government, not some foreigners!

As for Annie's question, I think they said the process revives exhausted oil wells, so maybe it can't produce new ones out of nothing.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Oof. Not so fondly remembering the earliest days of Obama hype. Everyone knows that he gave the bestest of all possible speeches at the 2004 DNC Convention but even at the time I don't think anyone could tell you what that speech was even about.

quote:

Retail

Cooper's self-loathing and Marla's encouraging that self-loathing are fascinating to me, since we don't exactly have a lot of reason to think that Val is that far out of his league. They're both working the same terrible retail job after all, even if Val cleans up nice. It's actually kind of sweet in a way, that this is obviously coming from their both just having really high personal opinions of Val but comparably deflated ones about Cooper.

quote:

Popcom

Even for an infrequently posted serial strip this is remarkably incomprehensible.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Some Guy TT posted:

warbucks is offering it to the us government free on the condition that they enact strong market controls to ensure fuel prices stay artificially low

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 12/9-11/48

I'm giggling like an idiot over the incredible stupidity of a name like Chug-Chug Jones being juxtaposed with nearly every character treating him like a national hero.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Doomykins posted:

Nancy and Trail are barely better than their predecessors by default and at times not. I think new Trail is genuinely worse than the greatly entertaining diabetes yeti "I can draw, I don't trace!" fever dream we got.

Thimble Theater is months of meandering nonsense but it's still snappier and funnier than most strips. I've got faith in the new Sunday Popeye but if it ends up like the other new strips it'll be a shame.

And to the idea that strips should update instead of retreading yesteryear: what if zombie strips just retired instead? Maybe some new talent could emerge instead of licensing out mediocre webcomic artists looking for steady pay and morphing into zombie/bad artists themselves. Admittedly I'm an incurable grouch and new Nancy has ended up on the bottom side of the scale for me. I'd probably be happier moving it to the scroll-past list.

New Nancy has had its ups and downs, but your memory is failing you if you think it's ever been worse than Guy Gilchrist's slop. I'm more inclined to agree about new Trail, though James Allen's run also started off surprisingly strong--remember the exploding jet-ski chase? Maybe the secret is to just reboot it every three months.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ukonvasara posted:

New Nancy has had its ups and downs, but your memory is failing you if you think it's ever been worse than Guy Gilchrist's slop. I'm more inclined to agree about new Trail, though James Allen's run also started off surprisingly strong--remember the exploding jet-ski chase? Maybe the secret is to just reboot it every three months.

Gilchrist nancy was at least better looking and worth a hate read.

The best Nancy strips of all time barely have any words. The new ones can barely fit the crudely drawn faces next to all the words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Murdstone posted:

It’s temporary.
https://twitter.com/chronicle_tweet/status/1536606876347121665?s=21&t=KR3XbV9OATDnCrTmd5SMdA