Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

stev posted:

The words of a very un-boring man.

Big 'gordon brown trying to convince that interviewer he was a big sugababes fan' energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

NI will get two, nuclear ballistic missile submarine and deputy nuclear ballistic missile submarine, to prevent the DUP threatening to unilaterally dissolve West Belfast.

Nah make them share one sub but they each get to choose a co-commander.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Grave Encounters 3 looking good

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The South West is full of gammons who would be delighted at the idea of having THE NUKES nearby, even more so if it brings JOBS (not jobs that they'll take though, no, just jobs that will increase demand for the houses they're renting out as their retirement plan)

Doesn't the SW still have the old, completely useless but incredibly dangerous fail deadly nukes stored in a cupboard somewhere?

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Sir Keir 'Just the worst focus groups' Starmer

We deliberately gave him the worst focus groups, as a joke.
With his background as a respected high profile lawyer we thought he would have some self determination.
We never imagined he would still be Party Leader going into the next election.

Jessant fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 15, 2022

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

That said, independence would almost certainly fracture the party

People tend to have a habit of saying that as if it's a given. I'm not so sure. South Africa has been ruled by the ANC since it stopped being whites only, for one example. Mexico was ruled by the PRI for decades. Japan likewise by the LDP for decades. It might fracture, or it might be that all politics that matters ends up happening within the SNP. No way of knowing til it happens.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Want to hear any of the ‘get the Tories out’ lot explain what the point is if the policies remain the same

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1537049789577183235?s=21&t=ryw3tDnky1XhaAlSNRDyOA

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

feedmegin posted:

People tend to have a habit of saying that as if it's a given. I'm not so sure. South Africa has been ruled by the ANC since it stopped being whites only, for one example. Mexico was ruled by the PRI for decades. Japan likewise by the LDP for decades. It might fracture, or it might be that all politics that matters ends up happening within the SNP. No way of knowing til it happens.

Yeah i'm skeptical of the SNP meaningfully fracturing. I think you'd likely see them continue to command their "centrist with centre-left accents" position post independence since that sort of conversion actually seems to have been the general trend in Europe, with the new scottish independent conservatives taking up position on the right and the greens capturing the "slightly more left" sphere. If there is a split I'm expecting a Finna Fail/Fine Gael sort of split where the difference between the remnants is about a cigarette paper wide.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

feedmegin posted:

I can't comment on the PRI, but compared to the ANC & LDP the SNP is a much broader party as far as covering the spectrum. Independence unites everyone from social democrats of the Tony Benn variety to libertarians & religious fundamentalists. Now obviously there's no guarantee but I'd be very surprised if they don't disintegrate. We've already seen the Alba split, & Sturgeon is no Nelson Mandela.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Noxville posted:

Want to hear any of the ‘get the Tories out’ lot explain what the point is if the policies remain the same

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1537049789577183235?s=21&t=ryw3tDnky1XhaAlSNRDyOA

I listened to Priti Patel speech in the commons and she didn't get really challenged by Labour on her 'it's them euro bastard courts' (paraphrasing obvs) speech.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Institutional centrism from the Labour neolib cadre? What a surprise. Can't be criticised for your political leanings if you refuse to approve or disapprove of anything *taps head*

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Spangly A posted:

Doesn't the SW still have the old, completely useless but incredibly dangerous fail deadly nukes stored in a cupboard somewhere?

Genuinely thought this paragraph was just going to end with "pensioners"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

forkboy84 posted:

I can't comment on the PRI, but compared to the ANC & LDP the SNP is a much broader party as far as covering the spectrum. Independence unites everyone from social democrats of the Tony Benn variety to libertarians & religious fundamentalists. Now obviously there's no guarantee but I'd be very surprised if they don't disintegrate. We've already seen the Alba split, & Sturgeon is no Nelson Mandela.

I'd also point out that the other parties mentioned had much further ranging political projects than simply 'get independence', which held them together. The SNP has vastly disparate wings that despise one another and it's only strong party discipline and the implicit acceptance that whatever their differences independence is the immediate priority that keeps them from knifing one another. I certainly can't imagine someone like Mhari Black existing in the same party as your tartan tory types post-independence.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Starmer in his role as DPP has already shown he's willing to deport anyone at the drop of a hat.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Starmer is a bad guy, and the Labour party are cowardly xenophobes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

We've already seen the Alba split, & Sturgeon is no Nelson Mandela.
Salmond is a Jacob Zuma though.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Private Speech posted:

I listened to Priti Patel speech in the commons and she didn't get really challenged by Labour on her 'it's them euro bastard courts' (paraphrasing obvs) speech.

Yvette Cooper had, I think, the first opposition response and did call it "unethical" but the majority of the response was to do with the failure of similar plans in Israel and Australia and the (probably correct) argument that Patel doesn't really care if it works or not and just wants to pick fights. She didn't really clarify who the fights were being picked with, probably on purpose.

Oh and she got bodied on the fact that she was part of a Labour government that wanted to do the same thing lol

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The comical thing about Starmer taking this stance is that more Conservative voters oppose the policy than Labour voters support it, so from a raw data perspective, if you wanted to maximise appeal on the subject you’d oppose it

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/travel/survey-results/daily/2022/04/14/8bb29/1

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You're telling me that Keir Starmer's political instincts are bollocks?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Noxville posted:

The comical thing about Starmer taking this stance is that more Conservative voters oppose the policy than Labour voters support it, so from a raw data perspective, if you wanted to maximise appeal on the subject you’d oppose it

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/travel/survey-results/daily/2022/04/14/8bb29/1

Polls are useless. What you need is a focus group of ex BNP voters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Noxville posted:

Entirely unsurprising tbh, they love it when the tories do something horrible that they can just ignore once they're in power. Just like the US dems really.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Tesseraction posted:

You're telling me that Keir Starmer's political instincts are bollocks?

Depends whether you consider his job to be to get Labour elected to government, or to prevent a left wing government. He's pretty good at the latter so far.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Chas McGill posted:

I voted yes last time and would do so again, but I don't think it will happen and I'm not sure we'd be much better off politically. I hate Westminster enough for it to outweigh any of those concerns though.

i had a vote last time but didn't use it because i wasn't planning to stay in scotland

i'd definitely vote to leave the UK now because how on earth wouldn't that be a good thing lol

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

keep punching joe posted:

I'm still of the opinion that Ireland needs to reunify first before people's brains will adjust to the concept of no more UK.

The Scottish referendum will happen, headbangers will boycott, Yes (or whatever the Indy side is will win) but it'll be a lovely turnout. Nothing will change except maybe an incoming Starmer administration will devolve some more powers over traffic fines or sonething.

i actually could see it going the other way. Scotland's case for independence is easier to make to soft unionists on account of the position you're putting forward isn't associated with decades of the RA bombing the poo poo out of everything

NI is tethered to the UK through Scotland, culturally - if Scotland leaves the UK NI will soon follow

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

NI is tethered to the UK through Scotland
Funniest outcome is it happens within a month of the Boris Bangor Bridge opening.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ireland is also different in that you are already getting a package deal, basically. It's not "vote for [whatever your hopes and dreams might be]" it's "vote to become part of the republic with all its existing laws and relations with the rest of the world."

It is more of a known quantity, for better or worse.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
um not really?

nobody really knows how NI and the south become a country, it would require a settlement with the UK and likely a colossal funding package from the EU for it to be viable

most people who talk seriously about it see Stormont continuing to play a role in the administration of the 6 counties so willy ulsterman doesn't feel put out by having to go to dublin to represent his constituents

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Spangly A posted:

Yes, all the old subs are sat in a dock, rotting away.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1537052106305175552

Lol. I was totally unaware of the family legacy with the ECHR.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

um not really?

nobody really knows how NI and the south become a country, it would require a settlement with the UK and likely a colossal funding package from the EU for it to be viable

most people who talk seriously about it see Stormont continuing to play a role in the administration of the 6 counties so willy ulsterman doesn't feel put out by having to go to dublin to represent his constituents

Yeah that's the only kinda way it makes sense, and the only way I would vote to support it as an Irish nationalist

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
my [hopes and dreams] would be for the north to be administered from Belfast in a federation with the south and Donegal can choose to join the Belfast administration because it's a county that has always stuck out like a sore thumb anyway

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

my [hopes and dreams] would be for the north to be administered from Belfast in a federation with the south and Donegal can choose to join the Belfast administration because it's a county that has always stuck out like a sore thumb anyway

"Giving away another county" seems like a non-starter, but sure I get your point

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1537052106305175552

Lol. I was totally unaware of the family legacy with the ECHR.

"gently caress you, grandad!"

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

crispix posted:

Or just

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

"Giving away another county" seems like a non-starter, but sure I get your point
I'm sure that a many of the (reasonable) objections to Ulster as a province existing as a political entity would be far less pronounced after reunification.

(Providing that there were strong guarantees against Stormont just running off with the extra counties and selling them to Canada for heating money or something.)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

it was a donegal joke

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

it was a donegal joke

Donegal already gets enough stick, more of a forgotten child than any of Johnson's weans

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i've always thought that the rest of the north would be much like donegal, if not for all the hatred, war and slaughter

that would have been nice

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
some news on those mysterious "American candy" shops https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61810743

(i think we discussed them here before?)

quote:

She said: "There is no way of knowing what ingredients are in these bars or what food hygiene practices are being followed by the people making or repackaging them."

so the actual product is fraudulent as well as the business model, hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
prob just cooking chocolate bulked out with the fat disposed of by catering operations and quarry dust