Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I almost pre-ordered an album I already pre-ordered, need to start making lists of things I'm expecting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
If you don't have records.txt yet, you need to level up your collecting game

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have definitely come home with records that I wasn't 100% sure I didn't already own and the other day I was convinced it had finally happened and I'd accidentally doubled up. But I hadn't.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I've told this story here before, but I doubled up in the same day once. Basically I was waffling about whether to buy something at one store, and by the time I got to a second store I incorrectly thought I'd landed on not buying previously, so I decided to go for it.

The silver lining is that the first one I bought had a defect affecting playability that I didn't see, so the second one was needed anyway.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Toe Rag posted:

I'm not very materialistic, but my records are something I do feel an attachment to. I've given away a few over the years, but I've never sold any of them. Even records I have I don't listen to anymore I wouldn't want to part with because they mean something to me or remind me of something :unsmith: I'd probably end of getting rid of all my records rather than pare it down if it ever came to it.

Same though I am a bit more materialistic, what with my home video collection and my books collection and my stupid funnybooks collection. But yes most of what I have I hate the idea of selling because they all meant something and the electric goop in my skull wants to cling to the past.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Turbinosamente posted:

I got in too deep with the honeymoon period of collecting and only just recently came to accept that I don't need all of an artist's output all the time. Been going through my collection again, this has got to be like the 5th time at minimum. Trying to work up the nerve to get rid of the casettes as it's not really a format I want to return to.

Edit: And yes things fall out of favor over time. As I keep practicing an instrument I notice my tastes have changed as I learn more about music as a whole. I'm super lazy and just resell my excess at the local record shop though.

I'm sure I'll also fall out of the honeymoon period in another ten or fifteen years.

Nihonniboku posted:

The new Perfume Genius comes out this month I think, but I'll hold off until I actually hear it.

Boooooooo. He's amazing order that poo poo now!

Barry posted:

This might actually be my white whale but I sure as poo poo ain't paying $600+ for it (or any album for that matter) or buying some jankass bootleg

I always wonder who the hell is buying these things but I'll bet they're also people who don't ever dare listen to the record. I paid a hundred dollars for a record ONCE and I ended up selling it later for more than triple that.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I was mirin my records on discogs and found a surf curse record spiked to trips in the last two years or so. I had to dig and found out they were partially me-too'd and were dropped by their record label.

So anyway, what horrors of profitability haunt your guys' collections? Difficulty: No (charles) manson.

Apparently the allegations were unfounded or retracted. They seem to be playing gigs and they played coachella...which wouldn't book em if they felt the situation was bad.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

incoherent posted:

So anyway, what horrors of profitability haunt your guys' collections?
Let's just say I'm glad I have an RSD version of The Residents' Baby Sex and not the one with the OG cover.

Which they also put on T-Shirts. :gonk:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I've been having major regrets recently about selling my copy of Selected Ambient Works II by Aphex Twin for $70 eight years ago. They're going for $400+ these days :negative:

if anyone has a copy they would want to sell or trade for, hit me up

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

strap on revenge posted:

I've been having major regrets recently about selling my copy of Selected Ambient Works II by Aphex Twin for $70 eight years ago. They're going for $400+ these days :negative:

if anyone has a copy they would want to sell or trade for, hit me up

Not that this matters for II, but I know 85-92 is readily available.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CPL593H posted:

Boooooooo. He's amazing order that poo poo now!

I'm a huge fan. Saw him perform a few months ago, phenomenal live

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

FYI - Target is having a Buy 2, Get 1 free on music! Includes vinyl.

spinst fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 15, 2022

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I check the Aphex Twin bin every time I'm in a record store with my fingers crossed for SAWII. :smith:

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

incoherent posted:

I was mirin my records on discogs and found a surf curse record spiked to trips in the last two years or so. I had to dig and found out they were partially me-too'd and were dropped by their record label.

So anyway, what horrors of profitability haunt your guys' collections? Difficulty: No (charles) manson.

Apparently the allegations were unfounded or retracted. They seem to be playing gigs and they played coachella...which wouldn't book em if they felt the situation was bad.

Not a record but I have a poster of Melvin's + Napalm Death + Melt Banana from the Savage Imperial Death March tour that if someone wasn't aware they'd assume I'm a fascist. It's in a nice frame and I should probably sell it tbh.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

incoherent posted:

I thought PWR BTTM was great and they got huge immediately and then it turned out that one of the band sexually assaulted a fan at a show and the other one enabled it and they lost their entire fanbase over night as well as their touring musicians and all the bands that toured with them. I was super bummed out about it and they went from one of my favorite bands that was I was super excited about to never listening to them again.

But that's just a story about me being sad that I band I loved was trash people. I don't really care what any of my poo poo is worth and I very rarely sell anything. So far all the stuff I sold is Third Man Vault stuff I didn't want.

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm a huge fan. Saw him perform a few months ago, phenomenal live

Absolutely. Hands down my favorite concert I've ever been to and that's saying a lot. He came to Boston earlier this year but I opted not to go for a variety of reasons. I was not happy with having to do that.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CaptainBeefart posted:

Not a record but I have a poster of Melvin's + Napalm Death + Melt Banana from the Savage Imperial Death March tour that if someone wasn't aware they'd assume I'm a fascist. It's in a nice frame and I should probably sell it tbh.

Melvins have a lot of problematic imagery. Buzzo seems like a total edgelord rear end in a top hat. But I really loving love The Melvins. Really feel weird about my Micheal Jackson records now. Dunno if I'll ever play them out again. I had this record in my collection for a long time and finally just threw it away because it is mostly just a bunch of bigoted rants. Joe Speaks

Anyways. Here is a palette cleanser. I grabbed some random colored wax from the shelves to make a gif.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I have a bunch of Brand New records I could sell for a nice profit and probably should since I haven’t listened to them since Jesse Lacey got outed as a huge creep. But I have a problem letting anything go pretty much all of the time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Now is probably the time to point out that if you have pretty much any classic rock albums you've got a few dozen to throw in this category.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

pwn posted:

Before anyone gets too excited about this, in 2008 I bought a Stephen Malkmus double LP from Best Buy for $13.99, a new Cat Power LP from a Madison record shop for $10.99, and in 2007 (2006?) I way overpaid for a limited box set of AFI's December Underground in 7" format at Hot Topic—an extremely mid-2000s sentence—for $24.99 $25.99!

Point is $20 was a hefty chunk of change back then in the land of vinyls

Edit: The prices must be accurately recorded

Please note I had to update the AFI price after referring to the original hype and price stickers, adhered to the inside of my DVD of Pink Floyd The Wall.

I used to do this when I bought multiple things on one day and an item had no place for the hype sticker. Now that I have acetate sheets I may try to remove them. At any rate it was very important that the correct price be posted. Please resume Problematic Bands chat

Fake edit I stopped mid-post and fukken did it :hehe:

Feels drat good. Hype preservation. A bit of heat from a hair dryer loosened the glue up, rather surprised it didn't give more of a fight after 15-16 years of adhesion. That should boost the value if I ever decide to sell it, especially as we approach the Hot Topic phase of the millennial nostalgia wave

I also just noticed that the price was crossed out and I paid $12.98, :krad: that's not nearly so bad

Real edit

CPL593H posted:

Now is probably the time to point out that if you have pretty much any classic rock albums you've got a few dozen to throw in this category.

Sick Again indeed :barf:

pwn fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 15, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

pwn posted:

Please resume Problematic Bands chat

my record dealer made me buy an extra album when the final four rang up for €88

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 15, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean that got me to pick up a Dirty Three album, which owns, but who's setting the prices man

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I opened the discogs app just for you guys and sorted by value a couple ways and the Foo Fighters Hail Satin RSD comes up pretty consistently much to my annoyance. At least to my knowledge they haven't done anything problematic, but did have their drummer die unexpectedly.

Other contenders are the Triumph Allied Forces 40th Anniversay box set and one of the Queen 40th anniversary CD box sets. Blasterpiece by Bear Ghost, and the Pikachu vaporwave album that suckered a bunch of us shows up as well and oddly when I sort by max value a bog standard edition of McCartney iii shows up. I'm betting some one accidentally spent $283 dollars on it and thought they were getting a fancier edition.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

I opened the discogs app just for you guys and sorted by value a couple ways and the Foo Fighters Hail Satin RSD comes up pretty consistently much to my annoyance. At least to my knowledge they haven't done anything problematic, but did have their drummer die unexpectedly.

That price has been jacked since the beginning, very much to my great annoyance. I’ve been looking it up occasionally on eBay, hoping that it will eventually drop below $100 for an opened copy. I want to listen to it, damnit!

They gave their music to some lovely film early in their career for some film that questioned the link between HIV and AIDS. They’ve scrubbed that from all of their web presence, I think they’re trying to forget they supported that. Especially when they then went on to do things like troll the Westwhatever Baptists scumbags. That’s all that comes to my mind for lovely things they’ve done.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

They've just announced Dave Chappelle as a special guest at the Taylor tribute show, which is going down as well as you'd expect...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ah good, I haven’t seen anyone raise a stink about that yet. I thought it was just me.

Also Josh Homme shouldn’t be there.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

IUG posted:

Ah good, I haven’t seen anyone raise a stink about that yet. I thought it was just me.

Also Josh Homme shouldn’t be there.

At least I can understand the reasoning behind Homme being there - what link do they have to Chappelle?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

VolumeOverTalent posted:

At least I can understand the reasoning behind Homme being there - what link do they have to Chappelle?

Dave showed up at an msg show they did a while ago, I assume he's into their stuff and used his fame to connect with them

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

IUG posted:

That price has been jacked since the beginning, very much to my great annoyance. I’ve been looking it up occasionally on eBay, hoping that it will eventually drop below $100 for an opened copy. I want to listen to it, damnit!

I'm trying to remember were you the English goon lamenting they missed out on Hail Satin that RSD, or are you in the US?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

I always wonder who the hell is buying these things but I'll bet they're also people who don't ever dare listen to the record. I paid a hundred dollars for a record ONCE and I ended up selling it later for more than triple that.

The person who bought my copy of Blond said he had bought it to celebrate a Friends-versary with a close friend of theirs that's been going on for 10 years. They're from the UK and it seemed like a pretty important record to drop the chunk of change that they did on it. Everyone has their reasons.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

The person who bought my copy of Blond said he had bought it to celebrate a Friends-versary with a close friend of theirs that's been going on for 10 years. They're from the UK and it seemed like a pretty important record to drop the chunk of change that they did on it. Everyone has their reasons.

Sounds like I need better friends.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm trying to remember were you the English goon lamenting they missed out on Hail Satin that RSD, or are you in the US?

Nah, I'm in the US. I may have lamented that my record shop couldn't even order a copy of Hail Satan. I had a friend up in Massachusetts who went to three stores that day and she couldn't find it either.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

IUG posted:

Nah, I'm in the US. I may have lamented that my record shop couldn't even order a copy of Hail Satan. I had a friend up in Massachusetts who went to three stores that day and she couldn't find it either.

I'll have to double check my math to make sure I haven't yet hit the tax limit for selling online, but for $100 I could be persuaded to sell mine. I'm not a Foo Fighters fan and my mom was disappointed in the covers.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
afx acid acquired

now i just need 10 more

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CatBlack posted:

afx acid acquired

now i just need 10 more

I have Analogue Bubblebath 4 that i found for a $20 spot years ago.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

My Lovely Horse posted:

my record dealer made me buy an extra album when the final four rang up for €88

Shoulda got some John Maus or Iced Earth to compliment that.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I'd buy some of the listenable used Ariel Pink albums without much thought but never new.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just replaced some 30 year old Sony 3 ways with a couple Fluance bookshelves. Lost some bass but the clarity is so good. Fluance is a great company.

I would have liked to keep the sonys really but just too big for a little apartment

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 16, 2022

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

The Walrus posted:

Fluance is a great company.

My RT85 is a beauty.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
My vinyl junkies order just showed up, big thanks to whoever said they had the tron sound track a couple months ago.

But holy gently caress am I glad I'm not a collector and bought these to listen to because the cardboard got beat up in shipping. Thankfully all the actual records seem OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
This has been your bi-annual reminder that RSD is tomorrow. Watch me not get up and go buy anything.