Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Talas posted:

Poisoned-Wind Globadiers. I mean, that unit doesn't even have rules in AoS, I just like it from when I played TWW2 a lot and it hopefully will make a return someday. My second favorite is Warplock Jezzails, so that's not much better...

Globadiers are now "Skryre Acolytes" and they're pretty rough. Jezzails are finecast poured into a metal mold and are pretty bad too. The ratling gun team and Arch-Warlock (Ikit Claw) are metal and still solid sculpts, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Man, these vanguard boxes are extremely good. That Skaven one is fantastic

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Continuing my Nighthaunt streak, I painted Dreadblade Harrow #1

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/06/13/gang-up-on-your-enemies-in-a-furry-tide-with-battletome-skaven

The furry tide is coming.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Floppychop posted:

Globadiers are now "Skryre Acolytes" and they're pretty rough. Jezzails are finecast poured into a metal mold and are pretty bad too. The ratling gun team and Arch-Warlock (Ikit Claw) are metal and still solid sculpts, imo.

The old metal jezzails look way better and they're chunky as gently caress. For a while you could buy a set of them cheaper than regular jezzails but I think those days are done.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

iirc it's the same sculpt/mold. But finecast has not been kind to them.

$60 for 3 models of that quality is also insane.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Still really wondering what their battleshock solution is. I’d be fine with “here’s more ways to generate CP so you can command against it” but they need one.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/06/14/the-sylvaneth-seasons-of-war-bring-the-power-of-nature-to-the-battlefield/

The Sylvaneth only really has one season, and its war.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Era of the Beast cover and info for Soulbound.

Not just playable dragons. Weren't the Melusai those half snake mutant elves with the crystal petrification powers? I remember them sounding pretty cool in a Fatal & Friends review. It's pretty nice that Soulbound is opening up so many options that would be monster-only in other systems.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

avoraciopoctules posted:

Not just playable dragons. Weren't the Melusai those half snake mutant elves with the crystal petrification powers? I remember them sounding pretty cool in a Fatal & Friends review. It's pretty nice that Soulbound is opening up so many options that would be monster-only in other systems.

The site and discord also confirmed the remaining Archtypes. (Minus 1)

quote:

Ten new Archetypes to play, including the Hurakan Windcharger of the Lumineth Realm-lords, the Knight-Relictor of the Stormcast Eternals, the Witch Hunter from the Cities of Sigmar, and the Mulusai and Khinerai of the Daughters of Khaine.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 14, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So the upcoming playable Archetypes are (Missing one)

Rider optional

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Gonna be a friendly neighborhood murder snake

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Funny enough a friend of mine is pretty much playing that, but in a Shadowrun game. :v:

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Relictor, melusai and dragon boy as playables? Cublicle 7 are my friends and I want to protect them

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/06/15/spread-the-blessings-of-life-with-the-sylvaneth-path-to-glory-rules/

They really went all in with the puns with this one.

Edit:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/06/15/veteran-infantry-take-centre-stage-in-the-next-generals-handbook/

And here's a look at some of the changes in the new General's Handbook.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 15, 2022

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

A lot of this is real cool but Overwhelming Assault is a terrible command ability. It only works on units of 5 or fewer models, has only a 1/6 chance of working on 5 model units, and strike last is only marginally useful against smaller units it can hit given the Wounds limit.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
on the plus side they're keeping the spiral bound format.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Mors Rattus posted:

A lot of this is real cool but Overwhelming Assault is a terrible command ability. It only works on units of 5 or fewer models, has only a 1/6 chance of working on 5 model units, and strike last is only marginally useful against smaller units it can hit given the Wounds limit.

I think it's basically designed so you can swamp single models, I don't think people will be risking it on much larger units

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Marmaduke! posted:

I think it's basically designed so you can swamp single models, I don't think people will be risking it on much larger units

How many single models with 4 or less wounds are worth it?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

I was thinking of more elite things like Paladins, and Ogors.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Mors Rattus posted:

Hang on yeah you're right, that doesn't make any sense after rereading the description. It does seem almost completely useless (though my misreading of it would be pretty nice!)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

I was thinking of more elite things like Paladins, and Ogors.

This isn't that useful against them. Annihilators you get some value - at full capacity that's 3 models, and they have less than 4 health so yeah, strike last on them is actually possiblt gonna make a difference even with their 2+ or 3+ save...though it has the same CP cost as All Out Attack which might be a better option. So that's one use case. Mournfangs have 6 Wounds so they're immune. Maneaters aren't dangerous enough for this to be worthwhile - 1 CP is better spent on other things there, given their 5+ save. Gluttons and Leadbelchers are min size 6 and this is absolutely not worth using on something that's already been chewed down some. Ironguts...marginal use due to min size 4, I guess I could see it.

Generally any other Command you might want to use is probably going to be more useful.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Also you can only use it if you have 10 models which is the exact size of a lot of units... So you need to have taken 0 damage as well? Baffling

Maybe they are going to increase/remove the limits on how many units you can reinforce?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Goonhammer reviews up for GHB, Sylvaneth and Skaven

https://www.goonhammer.com/generals-handbook-2022-2023-season-1-the-goonhammer-review/

https://www.goonhammer.com/generals-handbook-2022-2023-season-1-points-values/

https://www.goonhammer.com/battletome-sylvaneth-2022-the-goonhammer-review/

https://www.goonhammer.com/battletome-skaven-2022-the-goonhammer-review/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

And they look pretty good.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's weird to me that the Bell lost its anti-battleshock aura and the Furnace didn't, but sure, fine, I'll run a Furnace.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

How bad are these new rues going to screw over the Seraphon Thunder Lizard lists? Kinda lost motivation for my current project and was considering switching over because painting dinosaurs and making jungle terrain sounds fun, but the sculpts for everything that isn't a big dino are just absolute dogshit.

They probably needed a nerf anyways, it just seems like this may be turning the dial in the complete opposite direction and making everything besides horde armies unviable. Thunder Lizards usually run a decent number of skinks so maybe it's not that big a deal, but they look pretty fragile to rely on for holding objectives.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How bad are these new rues going to screw over the Seraphon Thunder Lizard lists? Kinda lost motivation for my current project and was considering switching over because painting dinosaurs and making jungle terrain sounds fun, but the sculpts for everything that isn't a big dino are just absolute dogshit.

They probably needed a nerf anyways, it just seems like this may be turning the dial in the complete opposite direction and making everything besides horde armies unviable. Thunder Lizards usually run a decent number of skinks so maybe it's not that big a deal, but they look pretty fragile to rely on for holding objectives.

Not a lot? They will lose some of the stuff monsters got but that’s not what made Thunder Lizard good. They’re still gonna one of the top tier armies, just like they were before Thondia.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Replace skink screens with large bricks of Saurus warriors. Which also get a damage reduction and a better save, and now count for triple on an objective.

In Thunder Lizard there aren't any command abilities that are worth it for them to receive so they're better targets for All out defence too.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The more I think about the new rules the more excited I am about them for SCE. Stormdrake Guard arent really any worse than they used to be (and may be better with no Hunters battalion) and Longstrikes will never be bad with their current scroll at their current points but there were always some more fun units on the periphery that couldn't quite make it into the lists that very well could now. The two standouts right now are Vanquishers (for carving up hordes) amd Karazai (for carving up hordes but with a big monster) and with the new rank fighting I would keep a close eye on the paladin units.

Edit: also does Shield of Civilization and the new battalion stack? If so Liberators counting as six models seems super juicy.

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 19, 2022

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

My instinct is pretty excited about Flesh Eaters too - big bricks of ghouls are also pretty resilient with support heroes to bring them back, and a brick of six Crypt Horrors doing three damage on each swing into resilient troops is pretty dangerous.

My initial inclination is to get Horrors or Flayers as troops for Galletian veterans but any way to do that is pretty weak overall except for Blisterskin.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It's gonna be thralls and reavers all day for the deepkin babyyyy

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I like the ghb changes but I'm not sure baout sylvaneth (why do you hate alariele gw it is your best mini ever)

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I have 1k of SOB that I don't know what to do with now.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Injuryprone posted:

I have 1k of SOB that I don't know what to do with now.

Play a bunch (3-6) of mancrushers in Bounty Hunters and/or Stomper tribe and smash everyone’s Galletian Veterans.

Sons seem strong still but their playstyle may drastically change since they don’t get bonus victory points just for existing anymore

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006

Just recently dipped my toes into the hobby after years and years of being interested. Chose AoS because I love the fantasy aesthetic, and picked Sons of Behemat as my first army. Last night I built this pair of mancrusher gargants, and the process sealed the deal for me on pursuing the hobby further.

I had a couple questions though.

1.) When it comes to building is it anything goes unless the battletome has particular rules for a given weapon? I wanted to have one of my dudes dual wield and after I glued realized that might not be the right thing to do.
2.) Similar to the above, although I imagine less important, aesthetic choices like hoods on the mega-gargant are fine right? Even if I wanted to make the unit a kraken-eater?
3.) Any first time painting tips? And/or recommendations on paints to purchase? This is an expensive hobby and if I can save money on paint I can get the rest of my army sooner lols

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

broken boy soldier posted:

1.) When it comes to building is it anything goes unless the battletome has particular rules for a given weapon?

This is correct.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Get yourself some white spray primer and a set of semy painter speed paint. Go with Velejo for metallics. You're also going to want matte varnish in a spray can.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm waiting to digest the new skaven rules for another couple weeks but there's a few things bothering me.

It feels bad to get a method of squeezing more attacks out of hordes at the same time that a new GHB is giving everyone that ability through different means. Like I get it, rules teams don't talk to each other and compare notes, but still lol. Also figured that bonuses to reinforcement was going to be a norm going forward after seeing it in DoK but nothing - no changes to min unit size to boot.

Don't want to sound whiny as it's not all bad - they fixed the biggest issue with the old book which was the strict limit on battleline (you only need to bring a clan leader to bring a unit of their respective battleline). Most things are a bit punchier and less random. It's a real mixed bag when you get into the behemoth space with huge points hikes (not always accompanied by buffs) hitting Verminlords - the previous best Verminlord before (Warpseer) is probably now the worst.

All in all it feels like a sort of copy-paste job with no new ideas presenting themselves. But freeing up battleline probably makes up for all of this. Lists are going to get a lot more varied now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm just glad they unfucked Skaven list building. I can deal with playing a "bad" faction, but it's infuriating when they make building a simple list an uphill battle.