Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
fucken metal as hell

https://twitter.com/MichelMarizco/status/1536420538121220100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

91° low hahaha

makes me uncomfortable just thinking about it

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

AEMINAL posted:

Move to Scandinavia before its too late goons

Enjoyed a perfect 72f day here in Stockholm today, usually what the temp hovers around this time of year.

No earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, just flooding and an occasional storm that knocks a few trees down maybe every other year.
Oh and the ground is rising faster here than the ocean is due to the ice age compressing everything down.

The land raises by several millimeters a year in certain places, it's crazy.

And we have Hella big freshwater lakes and some of the best tap water in the world.

Also the Nordic model and all it entails.

BUT

loving cold and dark during winters though, and I hope you can handle it only being dark for 3 hours during summer lol.

ninja edit: also we only have one venomous animal (snake), it's so pathetic it can kill a toddler or chihuahua if lucky

Already did in 2007 (iceland) and never felt more smug, especially since I've been gaslit (always liberals) right up til 5 seconds ago about my reasons why.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
power came back on now when the estimate was thurs 11:59pm so lol

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

poopinmymouth posted:

Already did in 2007 (iceland) and never felt more smug, especially since I've been gaslit (always liberals) right up til 5 seconds ago about my reasons why.
I would loving love to move to Iceland

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

TACD posted:

I would loving love to move to Iceland

idk Greenland sounds way more appealing

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

500excf type r posted:

idk Greenland sounds way more appealing

Lmao :golfclap:

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Yeah i recommend everyone move to Greenland, Iceland sucks and it never gets warm enough in the summer. And there's like two hours of daylight half the year and the sun is probably behind some clouds for those hours. Also it never really snows it just rains and then freezes overnight until everything is caked in like six inches of ice. Also the taxes are like, way high. Gas is like five bucks...a liter. And the capital city has giant speed bumps placed like every ten feet, it's so bad the bus drivers get back problems from going over so many speed bumps.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

instead of the heat dome going away, it's just going backwards to the midwest like a cartoon car hitting someone and backing up to do it again

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Oglethorpe posted:

instead of the heat dome going away, it's just going backwards to the midwest like a cartoon car hitting someone and backing up to do it again

lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

living on the correct side of the mountains to not die of heat stroke is a powerful tech this summer

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Oglethorpe posted:

i hope it bounces back to the northwest :twisted:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Oglethorpe posted:

Nice I'm in the Cool Zone this coming week [it's not clear where I am]

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Oglethorpe posted:

They hosed up the labeling on these maps. They don't show temperatures will be much above average. They show there is a high likelihood temperatures will be above average. Important difference. Idiot weather channel.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah that weather channel map is completely meaningless, just go to the source if you want more info than "these colors feel scary!"

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/index.php

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 16:24 on Jun 15, 2022

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

mawarannahr posted:

i hope it bounces back to the northwest :twisted:

those poor intertidal creatures

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

SirPablo posted:

They hosed up the labeling on these maps. They don't show temperatures will be much above average. They show there is a high likelihood temperatures will be above average. Important difference. Idiot weather channel.

they did have numbers i just didn't bother

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i only understand the trademarked "real feel" index

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Oglethorpe posted:

they did have numbers i just didn't bother

love to reach mantis shrimp wavelengths on the color coded map

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Love to make my map scale go from pink to white to slightly purple pink

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Fascists cooking the poors alive in their homes today in Columbus.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Fascists cooking the poors alive in their homes today in Columbus.
Nah, just the corrupt energy companies that bought out the state government.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

what I like doing when the temperatures get that high is lie on the coach and swelter. like a sweat lodge

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lying on the coach? well you better let him up!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

stealie72 posted:

Nah, just the corrupt energy companies that bought out the state government.

Lmao do you know what fascism is? my guy?

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Lmao do you know what fascism is? my guy?

oh boy time to break out that effortpost about fascism (used to destroy me when i quoted umberto eco)

emTme3 posted:

ugh I can't let this poo poo go.

this is an absolutely horrendous analysis of fascism that amounts to 'its everything i don't like'. eco writes cool novels but he's the kind of language idealist (read: gots the boogbrains) that can only exist in the academic bubble.

fascism is baked into the social relations of capital same as communism is, and one if the ever present possible outcomes of the 'enlightenment' project. whereas liberalism obfuscates social antagonism, fascism openly acknowledges it but displaces it onto an outgroup. this is because fascisms metaphysics are reliant on an organic holism - of both the individual body and the body socius. anybody who tells you you have some kind of 'ethnic essence' or w/e is implicitly fascist. confronted with a social order constituted by antagonism, you either accept that as the starting premise of your analysis (communism), you ignore it and pretend the social order doesn't exist beyond monadic individuals externally interacting through commodity exchange (liberalism) or you displace it onto an outsider bc your organic holism and essentialism precludes you from conceptualizing antagonism(s) internal to your own ethnic/national identity itself (fascism). there is, of course, no neutral position to take.

that shared essentialist heritage makes it very easy for libs and nazis to understand one another, or at least, for mobilized fascist militants to understand that liberals are cowards and hypocrites (they share much of the same conceptual infrastructure but liberals won't act on those assumptions except in private) and their ersatz 'democracies' are actually quite brittle, when it comes time to kick them out.

which they have and will continue to do. fascism is basically the big boogs way of responding to the (inevitable over long enough periods of time) collapse of bourgeois parliamentary regimes by swapping out their pocket politicians and using the toolbox of imperialism against their own internal populace (suitably sorted into arbitrary in/out identity boxes) in a way that tends to quickly take on a life of its own.

it is technically the '3rd politics' of modernity or w/e, but it's a mistake to view it as a positive political project. the organic unity it wants to return to is a retroactive illusion of the capitalist mop itself, not a concrete goal. in practice fascist 'anticapitalism' amounts to a slight reversal between the usual relations between the bigboog and their political dogs, cuz these dogs don't have leashes and can easily turn on the hand that feeds them, but it's just gonna be capitalism with the class structure transhistoricized as a quasi-caste thing with some state welfare programs to prevent the workers from ever quite having nothing left to lose. a hypothetical fascist state, left to itself (hypothetical because idk if you could ever have a militarized fascist state that wasn't hell bent on lebensraum at all costs, the other qua mortal enemy really holds this poo poo together) would almost certainly just tear itself to shreds.

so basically, the cmop [capitalist mode of production] is inherently unstable and prone to crises, these crises can generate worker revolts, and fascism is weaponized liberalism (as an alliance of big and petiboog interests against worker interests) trying to crush its erstwhile wage slaves both by direct extermination and by redirecting their outrage towards a foreign intruder.

it's extremely important to understand this link. because fascist assumptions are part of the ideological superstructure of the cmop they're loving everywhere (including Umberto Eco's flabby lil liberal brain), but there's a massive difference between the cryptofash - who generally really aren't aware of their brain worms and aren't particularly politically involved, and the actually self-conscious militant organized variety which just isn't that much of a thing unless there's a serious revolutionary crisis happening. (trump is decidedly the former, which is why he's funny not scary and all the hysteria about his protofash outlook misses the forest for the trees - fascist individuals are generated by the cmop same as liberals and leftists and fash power grabs in times of crises are basically inevitable without a militant leftist movement to fight against it - if you want it to go away you have to make capitalism go away too). this means you can very easily have elected proto/quasi/crypto-fascist governments in bourgeois parliamentary systems without them (overtly) trying to exterminate their other or take over the world simply because they aren't militarized. it's the threat of armed worker revolts that force that kind of organizational effort. fascists react defensively against history, liberals are just a passive outgrowth of their once-revolutionary economic machine, but it's the organized, militant left that (once) had the courage to take the leap into the unknown and make history. without us, they've already won, and that makes them lazy and even more paper tigery than they've always been.

it's the petiboog and the labor aristocrats (what liberals call 'the middle class') that really fall for all the organic holism claptrap, it flatters their self-image and appears to contain a guarantee that they can maintain their (perceived) superiority and privileges over their scary rebellious underworkers, insert ethnic/sexual minority here, or (*gasp* the horror) those filthy lumpen. most of the resurgence of electoral, premilitant fascism in the imperialist core since '08 is precisely the middle class desperately trying to hold onto its (rapidly eroding) status.

the bigboog dgaf about the dumb metaphysics (they perceive profit-interest as 'politically neutral' and literally anything outside that as 'political' [bad]) and are reluctant to bust out the fash death squads except as a last resort bc liberals are spineless opportunists who are very easy to predict and control, and nazis are, well, not. bg'll tolerate a fash purge for a while, but they mostly just wanna get back to pocket liberals and unlimited freedom of accumulation and exploitation without all the ethnic purity bullshit and death camps. the nazis were so successful at quashing worker militants and bribing/converting non-militants that what we consider the welfare state was actually adopted from the fascist model, bc it proved in practice that it was possible for the boog to effectively buy off the revolution in advance.

that rear end-garbage eco essay reads like 'omg this one time class struggle happened outside my OFFICE WINDOW and it was so scawwy' :cry:

the OP of this post recently self-immolated in the biosphere collapse thread

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Thanks for the long bad post. This reality-denying anti-human criminality-covering poo poo makes me want to throw up:

quote:

the bigboog dgaf about the dumb metaphysics (they perceive profit-interest as 'politically neutral' and literally anything outside that as 'political' [bad]) and are reluctant to bust out the fash death squads except as a last resort bc liberals are spineless opportunists who are very easy to predict and control, and nazis are, well, not. bg'll tolerate a fash purge for a while, but they mostly just wanna get back to pocket liberals and unlimited freedom of accumulation and exploitation without all the ethnic purity bullshit and death camps.

gently caress off. They are enacting and carrying out genocide domestically and abroad since before the USA's inception as a country. Millions upon millions upon millions murdered. These are fascist crimes being covered up as "they're not really interested in that" and "they have no choice". Disgusting monstrous demonstrable LIE

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Jun 15, 2022

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Thanks for the long bad post. This reality-denying anti-human criminality-covering poo poo makes me want to throw up:

gently caress off. They are enacting and carrying out genocide domestically and abroad since before the USA's inception as a country. Millions upon millions upon millions murdered. These are fascist crimes being covered up as "they're not really interested in that" and "they have no choice". Disgusting monstrous demonstrable LIE

idk I read it as "liberals do it for profit (but gloss over it) and are easily controlled" vs "fascists still serve capital but as as a hard-to-control weapon driven by an ideology that openly embraces genocide"

don't get me wrong, i agree with you. idk what the OP would say about it, i'm just kinda assuming we all have a working knowledge of capitalist atrocities

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sir this is a Wendy's drive through.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Raine posted:

don't get me wrong, i agree with you. idk what the OP would say about it, i'm just kinda assuming we all have a working knowledge of capitalist atrocities

In that they exist and are bent on destroying absolutely everything?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1536708787226103808?s=20&t=8Xa9n7YbIrtJj29PXPB1Zw

making a right during rush hour

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

of course they're twisting the stats here, nobody is talking about the two thirds of Americans still perfectly able to go outside without getting heatstroke :rolleyes:https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1537112793874419712

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

According to the army chart I should not do any heavy exercise.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Hot as balls

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's really bad outside. Midwest power grid is very displeased.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Nice I'm in the Cool Zone this coming week [it's not clear where I am]

Buddy we're all in the cool zone right now, just posting away

tater_salad posted:

According to the army chart I should not do any heavy exercise.

I've started again trying to get back into shape because mad max feels imminent and I gotta say I picked the wrong loving time to do it

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 23:25 on Jun 15, 2022

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

It's like planting a tree. The best time was 20 years ago. The second best time is right now.

I'm still probably not going to do it though.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Happy lil house going on a happy lil adventure :unsmith:

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://www.nerc.com/pa/RAPA/ra/Pages/default.aspx

quote:

Drought conditions create heightened reliability risk for the summer. Drought exists or
threatens wide areas of North America, resulting in unique challenges to area electricity
supplies and potential impacts on demand:

Energy output from hydro generators throughout most of the Western United
States is being affected by widespread drought and below-normal snowpack.
Dry
hydrological conditions threaten the availability of hydroelectricity for transfers
throughout the Western Interconnection. Some assessment areas, including WECC’s
California-Mexico (CA/MX) and Southwest Reserve Sharing Group (SRSG), depend on
substantial electricity imports to meet demand on hot summer evenings and other
times when variable energy resource (e.g., wind, solar) output is diminishing. In the
event of wide-area extreme heat event, all U.S. assessment areas in the Western
Interconnection are at risk of energy emergencies due to the limited supply of
electricity available for transfer.

Extreme drought across much of Texas can produce weather conditions that are
favorable to prolonged, wide-area heat events and extreme peak electricity
demand.
Resource additions to the ERCOT system in recent years—predominantly
solar and some wind—have raised Anticipated Reserve Margins above Reference
Margin Levels and ease concerns of capacity shortfalls for normal peak demand.
However, extreme heat increases peak demand and can be accompanied by weather
patterns that lead to increased forced outages or reduced energy output from
resources of all types. A combination of extreme peak demand, low wind, and high
outage rates from thermal generators could require system operators to use
emergency procedures, up to and including temporary manual load shedding.

As drought conditions continue over the Missouri River Basin, output from thermal
generators that use the Missouri River for cooling in Southwest Power Pool (SPP)
may be affected in summer months.
Low water levels in the river can impact
generators with once-through cooling and lead to reduced output capacity. Energy
output from hydro generators on the river can also be affected by drought
conservation measures implemented in the reservoir system. Outages and reduced
output from thermal and hydro generation could lead to energy shortfalls at peak
demand. Periods of above normal wind generator output may give some relief,
however, this energy is not assured. System operators could require emergency
procedures to meet peak demand during periods of high generator unavailability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
we won't have to worry about not having enough water in reservoirs to power dams when the dams are destroyed by perpetually increasing hyperfloods