Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

It might not be a popular opinion. But I have never been one to court popularity.

No one cares if it's a popular opinion. But openly making GBS threads on people because they don't like a particular movie? That's bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Timby posted:

Kelly has nothing fascinating to say as a director
'Cause the only good thing Richard Kelly has ever had a hand in is writing Tony Scott's Domino. :buddy:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I cannot stress this enough, if you do not like Southland Tales that reveals a flaw in how you appreciate and interpret art.

Tell everyone you're an arrogant dick with lovely opinions, without saying you're an arrogant dick with lovely opinions.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

I AM GRANDO posted:

The director’s cut of Donnie Darko demonstrates that the director doesn’t understand his own movie. It’s like the film is divinely inspired or something.

That's how I feel about the Star Wars Special Editions.

And I'd like to second the recommendation for Blank Cheque's prequel episodes. I have listened to each of those several times. Indeed, I find them much more interesting than the films themselves. I've only watched Revenge of the Sith once (without the Blank Cheque commentary) - and I came very close to not returning to the cinema after a toilet break about halfway.

---

e: I find it weird that some of you use the phrase "objectively good movies". Do you seriously think that such things exist?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Steen71 posted:

I find it weird that some of you use the phrase "objectively good movies". Do you seriously think that such things exist?

I believe Tammy and the T-Rex has been mentioned several times just within the last couple of pages.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
I stand corrected.

(Haven't seen it.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Steen71 posted:

e: I find it weird that some of you use the phrase "objectively good movies". Do you seriously think that such things exist?

I feel like my position on Southland Tales couldn't be more clear.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Gripweed posted:

I feel like my position on Southland Tales couldn't be more clear.

is that the movie where i had to read a book or a comic first to understand anything, even though the movie didn't acknowledge or mention that at all and there was no chance i was doing that anyway

good choice

e: sorry, three books

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 15, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All you need to know about Southland Tales is that it is an essential entry into one of the most important film movements of our time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FswhQmILLU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

zer0spunk posted:

is that the movie where i had to read a book or a comic first to understand anything, even though the movie didn't acknowledge or mention that at all and there was no chance i was doing that anyway

good choice

e: sorry, three books

Like the guy said earlier about the director not understanding his bunny movie, providing background to material to Southland Tales fucks it up. The movie works because you are thrown head long into a doomed world. The story is half over from the start, there's nothing you or the characters can do about it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
To be fair plenty of directors don't understand their own movies. Most directors cuts are terrible.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

To be fair plenty of directors don't understand their own movies. Most directors cuts are terrible.

Directors cuts are like when I have too many Magic cards and try to make a 60 card deck.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I AM GRANDO posted:

All you need to know about Southland Tales is that it is an essential entry into one of the most important film movements of our time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FswhQmILLU

I didn’t know C-Lam was in that movie. Suddenly I might actually try watching sometime, although I assume it’s one of those movies that never shows up on streaming

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
It's funny that this thread swung from "every movie you like is good, gently caress the haters" to "if you don't like this movie, you have brain problems" in like, one page.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
A director does not always understand how to most effectively connect the ideas in their head to the execution of said ideas, and the difference between their taste and the audience's. For instance, Sam Pekinpah did not want "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" to be coupled with Slim Picken's Death in Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, because he did not agree with how the studio wanted him to use Dylan's music. He was wrong in this instance, Kris Kristofferson states as much on the commentary. But does this mean he doesn't understand his own film? I maintain no, and that it is absurd to imply so. How else can an idea be understood, except through the conduit of the people realizing it? If you are picking up on an idea from a film, that you believe the people making it did not, then where is the idea coming from?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Sept criterion uhd announcements. Both films I haven't seen, need to check out the sound of metal before Sept now. Probably skip the DePalma

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 15, 2022

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Dragonshirt posted:

It's funny that this thread swung from "every movie you like is good, gently caress the haters" to "if you don't like this movie, you have brain problems" in like, one page.

When I made my post near the start of theatre chat, I was gonna make some snarky comment about a film someone had seen a bunch, but I thought, be nice, this subject isn't about subjective movie tastes, it's about how many you've seen. Welp!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I ordered a complete set for Dragon Ball Super on bluray and the payment page crashed due to running too many scripts. I'm glad I decided to make an account for rightstuf because at least I know it looks like it actually processed since it appears in my orders.

I'm only 61 one episodes into Dragon Ball so when I watch it in five years I'll be glad to have this deluxe box set.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Steen71 posted:

I stand corrected.

(Haven't seen it.)

MODS! MODS!

You need to see that poo poo ASAMFP. I believe it's on Shudder if you happen to have that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

woohoo my Kickstarted copy of Metal Skin Panic has arrived

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Shiroc posted:

I ordered a complete set for Dragon Ball Super on bluray and the payment page crashed due to running too many scripts. I'm glad I decided to make an account for rightstuf because at least I know it looks like it actually processed since it appears in my orders.

I'm only 61 one episodes into Dragon Ball so when I watch it in five years I'll be glad to have this deluxe box set.

I know this is the physical media thread but the manga is better than the anime.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Cloks posted:

I know this is the physical media thread but the manga is better than the anime.

manga is physical media. We can talk about manga here.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

we cannot talk about manga in here. you remember what happened the last time anime/manga was brought up on this site? do you?!

my copy of Dennis Hoppers 'Out of the Blue' UHD shipped today. very excited.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Sept criterion uhd announcements. Both films I haven't seen, need to check out the sound of metal before Sept now. Probably skip the DePalma

I'd reconsider skipping Blow Out if you like De Palma, it's one of the best thriller movies to come out of the 80's.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Cloks posted:

I’ve come to realize that. I’m too heavily motivated specifically by nostalgia for the English voice actors to change the course I’m on.

I’m hoping things improve once I get through the long, long drag of the Red Ribbon.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

SneakySneaks posted:

I'd reconsider skipping Blow Out if you like De Palma, it's one of the best thriller movies to come out of the 80's.

I’m definitely double dipping on that one. One of my most rewatched Criterions.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I contacted Diabolik to ask what the Messiah of Evil blu-ray release date is. This was the exact response I got: "Looks like it's gonna be another few weeks.".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My movie order for July 4th came in today. Independence Day and 1776, quite an eclectic mix of films to be delivered in the same package.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I know VinSyn shipping can take forever during sales, but can I pout ITT about not getting my Halfway order yet? I picked out a lovely selection of trash and I want to watch it nowwwww.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

This Is the Zodiac posted:

I know VinSyn shipping can take forever during sales, but can I pout ITT about not getting my Halfway order yet? I picked out a lovely selection of trash and I want to watch it nowwwww.

Same :negative:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm telling you people, if you want your VinSyn orders fast, you gotta do the full year sub (half-year works too, but you miss out on being in the front of the line from January to June). It's not like you weren't going to spend all that money anyway.

I will admit that I do wish that VinSyn would offer a first half of the year package, because it really is a big chunk of change.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

This Is the Zodiac posted:

I emailed them about my order (Miami Connection 4K, Human Tornado and Petey Wheatstraw) a few days ago, and they're sending out the subscriber orders first, then pre-sales, then regular sales (that's me!), and that they expect mine to ship out mid-to-late June. I imagine it's a similar story with yours?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Every VinSyn order I’ve ever placed has taken over a month to arrive.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Considering the shitton of stuff I ordered from them, they can take as long as they want to ship my massive box that’ll add a year to my backlog :negative:

edit: This was my first sales order from them, they've traditionally been fast at non-major parts of the year for me

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 16, 2022

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
VS’ Canadian shipping is super fast in my experience; it shipped Thursday June 9 and received the movies the following Monday!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Anyone in the general area of VinSyn head quarters has either received or started to receive their orders now.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm telling you people, if you want your VinSyn orders fast, you gotta do the full year sub (half-year works too, but you miss out on being in the front of the line from January to June). It's not like you weren't going to spend all that money anyway.
Most of what I buy is from partner labels -- I'm currently collecting AGFA and Saturn's Core -- but if I bought enough VS releases to justify it I absolutely would.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I'm not a subscriber and I received my VinSin order last week. I live in Minnesota.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mondo Macabro teased their releases for the rest of the year

Four films in August (one being House of Terrors aka Ghost of the Hunchback, and another Japanese horror film from Toei)
Two Euro films
HD debut of Dr Caligari

And their first-ever boxset release, a Bollywood horror set :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
I went looking for the shipping notification from last year's sale and found that my order went out on June 18th. So now I keep refreshing my email waiting for that sweet sweet update.