Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Getting into the later Gaunt's Ghosts books and missing the times when he had no love interests. It just looks like a dour man sleeping with his subordinates.
So... book three?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I'm on Salvation's Reach. Random ladies he has sex with before jetting off to the next war zone was ok I guess, it's when his subordinate (one of the most beautiful women in the regiment, as ADB mentions every book since she was introduced) sees a naked woman come out of Gaunt's quarters and starts to cry because she's always wanted to be his lover instead that I rolled my eyes.

E: whoops meant Dan Abnett

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 12, 2022

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I'm on Salvation's Reach. Random ladies he has sex with before jetting off to the next war zone was ok I guess, it's when his subordinate (one of the most beautiful women in the regiment, as ADB mentions every book since she was introduced) sees a naked woman come out of Gaunt's quarters and starts to cry because she's always wanted to be his lover instead that I rolled my eyes.

Unless I'm really misunderstanding something about the GG books, you mean Abnett, not ADB, right?

Also that weird low-key horniness seems to be a through line in a lot of Abnett's books. Sometimes you can give it a pass, a lot of the time I've found it eyeroll worthy or detracting from the book.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its the comic book influence i bet

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Unless I'm really misunderstanding something about the GG books, you mean Abnett, not ADB, right?

Also that weird low-key horniness seems to be a through line in a lot of Abnett's books. Sometimes you can give it a pass, a lot of the time I've found it eyeroll worthy or detracting from the book.

Now that you mention it the Eisenhorn series paid a lot more attention to long-limbed, lithe women and the details of their skin-tight bodygloves than most 40k fiction.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Idk it’s pretty common in the genre . It is pulp.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It's pure shlock. Big muscly dudes who wink at babes while machinelasering Chaos nerds and women with ample bosoms (I feel like I've read that phrase in every one of his books, like three times a paragraph whenever Kara Swole is around) who are also stone-cold badasses.

Edit:

Overall yeah his work feels VERY 90s comic book, shlock and innuendo and what have you.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

DaysBefore posted:

It's pure shlock. Big muscly dudes who wink at babes while machinelasering Chaos nerds and women with ample bosoms (I feel like I've read that phrase in every one of his books, like three times a paragraph whenever Kara Swole is around) who are also stone-cold badasses.

I dunno, his protagonists tend to suffer horribly because of the people they are. Gaunt got captured and had his eyes carved out because he insisted on leading from the front in bad spot and he is an abject failure as a father.

As for Eisenhorn, boy howdy. He got his love interest into a permanent coma thanks to a mis-judgement, got his most of his friends and subordinates killed because he made the mistake of keeping a promise he really shouldn't have kept and thought his precautions were adequate. He's an actively hunted excommunicated radical who requires augmentics to even lumber around with his near-crippled body which was the direct result of him lying to a friend for decades and then assuming he wouldn't have the guts to stop him.

Bequin and Patience spell out exactly how horrible and self-righteous gently caress-ups Eisenhorn and Ravenor are in Penitent.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well obviously it’s very good pulp yes. Abnett is a master.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Kevin DuBrow posted:

E: whoops meant Dan Abnett

Not to the defend the occasional horniness in Abnet's writing too strenuously, but there's actually a reason why he gravitated to that specific random lady when he was emotionally shaken to his core and distraught, as revealed at the end of Salvation' Reach.

She's subtly surgically altered to resemble the mother of his child, of whose existence he has just learned. Facial appearance, eyes, voice. It was supposed to be comforting for the child she is guarding, but it is creepy as gently caress when you think about it.

Warden fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 12, 2022

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://www.pcgamer.com/hands-on-warhammer-40k-darktide-absolutely-rules/

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I hope that you can have 4 ogryns bumbling through a level

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Haven't read any of Cornwell's books, but I suspect that might be Gaunt being true to Sharpe. Apart from the subordinates bit.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

FPyat posted:

Haven't read any of Cornwell's books, but I suspect that might be Gaunt being true to Sharpe. Apart from the subordinates bit.

Pretty much yeah.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The whole arc with Gaunt's kid felt weird to me. The twist, the stuff with Wilder and Meryn, everything felt unnecessary and, again, weird.

The politicking generals and chances to see things from a Chaos perspective were the highlights of the last series of books.

Edit:

Oh and the Criid thing was dumb imo

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Gaunt and an Inquisitor meeting an Eldar and just being kind of okay with it was a little weird, but that one early story was still worth reading as a buildup to Necropolis.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/06/15/high-marshal-helbrecht-gets-it-together-in-his-new-black-library-novel/

Now it's time for a Primaris'd Helbrecht to get his own book.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Between Calgar and Helbrecht I'm not sure which Chapter Master has had their body rebuilt more times (the answer is Asterion Moloc)

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
People's thoughts on Grim Repast?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

FPyat posted:

People's thoughts on Grim Repast?

I prefer a lighter lunch

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arc Hammer posted:

Between Calgar and Helbrecht I'm not sure which Chapter Master has had their body rebuilt more times (the answer is Asterion Moloc)

The only reason why Kardan Stronos hasn't been Primaris'd is that there isn't enough flesh left to put the new organs in

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

wiegieman posted:

The thing to remember is that the imperium cares about reliable control. They want a single person or a family at the most who an inquisitor can show up to threaten, not a vast faceless corporate hydra that answers to The Shareholders and is just going to be taken over by the Alpha Legion anyway.

The Inquisitor: I am Alpharius.

also the single governor or oligarchal family: I am Alpharius.

:e
uh oh, way more posts from when this was posted, didnt see so many. woops.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Where can I read about helbrecht meeting rowboat and Imotekh?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Can you read The Magos straight after Hereticus, or are there other books you need to read first?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

CottonWolf posted:

Can you read The Magos straight after Hereticus, or are there other books you need to read first?

I would recommend reading the Ravenor trilogy first, a significant amount of the fallout from that series is covered in some of the short stories from that book and all the short stories factor in to the much longer story that ends the book.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

AnEdgelord posted:

I would recommend reading the Ravenor trilogy first, a significant amount of the fallout from that series is covered in some of the short stories from that book and all the short stories factor in to the much longer story that ends the book.

Perfect. Thanks!

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I find it a little weird how they tack "A [character/faction] novel" on everything. Don't get me wrong, it's useful, just funny to use "A" when it's the only book featuring that protagonist.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I noticed that on the Crime series and laughed. Yeah the series is continuing but as an anthology, I'm not expecting to see lovable slob Zidarov again

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I kinda like Noctis and Lux and hope there are more 'A Noctis and Lux' novels. That would be neat.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I noticed that with the Severina Rayne book as well when I finally read it. Can't say I fully expect it to ever get a sequel.
The fact the ending was a huge sequel plot hook too didn't help and was honestly a bit annoying to boot.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

Quick note - if you get the Eisenhorn and Ravenor omnibuses you get some of the short stories that are in the Magos. I think "Missing in Action", "Backcloth for a Crown", "Playing Patience" and "Thorn wishes Talon" are all from the first two collections. The Eisenhorn ones are fine to read in the Magos book as they fit in with the other short stories as neat little flashbacks to his career, but PP and TWT work better as part of the Ravenor series because PP gives you an insight into one of Ravenor's retinue and TWT massively foreshadows the last Ravenor story.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I think all the novels with those kind of titles are expected to get sequels at some point but with so many ongoing big series like HH, SoT, primarchs, whatever the Sigismund/Luther/valdor one is called, etc that the authors don't get many chances so there are long stretches between them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

orphean posted:

I kinda like Noctis and Lux and hope there are more 'A Noctis and Lux' novels. That would be neat.

It's definitely implied by the ending. A few of the 'ham crime books seem to set up plenty of sequel hooks.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Do any of the Crime stories mention the Arbites?

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

FPyat posted:

Do any of the Crime stories mention the Arbites?

Not quite the Crime stories, but from the Horror subset, in The Oubliette one of the major characters is an Arbites investigating the murder of his parents and shoring up his sister as Planetary Governor.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Crime stories are all about a local city police department. I don't think I heard Arbites once in any that I've listened too.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
There's some mentions about how the arbitrators will only get involved in crimes that affect the tithe and I think one short story in the first collection has a probators working with an arbitrator, but they won't get involved for kidnappings, gangers, and district-level corruption that the stories largely cover.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In abnett verse they do. But that’s abnett verse

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In abnett verse they are basically the “honest cop” character from noir films

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
realistically the Arbites would fill a similar role to the FBI

they don't enforce local law, they enforce federal/imperial law