Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I was mixing up multiple episodes too, because it turns out I was completely wrong with my opinion and recollection: "Homer Is Where the Art Isn't" was maybe the last I saw and it turns out that I DID enjoy that episode.

Maybe it was sandwiched between a lot of bad ones ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Das Boo posted:

Turns out I've been confusing "Behind the Laughter" for "The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular" all this time. I've never seen the former.

It's good compared to rest of the season but not very good overall. It would be fine as a series finale. And it should have been.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The former is the real Series Finale.

Anything after that is at best serviceable.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The Simpsons in the 2000s were basically just trying to keep up with trendier and edgier shows like South Park and Family Guy. That this was good enough for their audience really just means it was a low point for our standards as a society, at least in hindsight.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Riptor posted:

It is my firmly held belief that the novelty of Behind the Laughter bamboozled people into thinking it was far funnier than it actually is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnttBhGVytc

This part is perfection

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's weird that they repeat that joke. They show it once as a "coming up after the break" soundbite and then actually show it after the break with no additions or anything.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one from a few weeks ago, Grandpa gets put on the board of directors of a multinational corporation run by a Succession-style family. I guess they couldn't get the Succession people to do cameos though because it's all people like John Lithgow and Paul F. Tomkins, except for cousin Greg who has like one line.

Grandpa is put on the board because he used to be the business partner of a guy who ran a family burger joint that Krusty stole the idea for to make Krusty burger. The business partner went on to found a huge company to enact revenge on Krusty by buying his parent company and kicking him out of his businesses.

The family has a power struggle where Grandpa is the tie-breaking vote, and he abstains.

Bad ep, real bad ep.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

iamsosmrt posted:

The Simpsons in the 2000s were basically just trying to keep up with trendier and edgier shows like South Park and Family Guy. That this was good enough for their audience really just means it was a low point for our standards as a society, at least in hindsight.

good to know that you think our standards as a society relate to the Simpsons

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PostNouveau posted:

In the new one from a few weeks ago, Grandpa gets put on the board of directors of a multinational corporation run by a Succession-style family. I guess they couldn't get the Succession people to do cameos though because it's all people like John Lithgow and Paul F. Tomkins, except for cousin Greg who has like one line.

Grandpa is put on the board because he used to be the business partner of a guy who ran a family burger joint that Krusty stole the idea for to make Krusty burger. The business partner went on to found a huge company to enact revenge on Krusty by buying his parent company and kicking him out of his businesses.

The family has a power struggle where Grandpa is the tie-breaking vote, and he abstains.

Bad ep, real bad ep.

Wasn't this already at least three episodes?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Planning a Jan 6th insurrection but at Al Jean's house

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

spaceblancmange posted:

Planning a Jan 6th insurrection but at Al Jean's house

It happens in the car hole

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

haven't seen the florida episode but i did like saddlesore galactica. homer's "was that all a wonderful dream" and "we'll give you gold!" line still makes me chuckle

Boba Pearl posted:

Season 1 is weird as hell, Nuclear inspectors must get paid so much money to be a single income household drat.

according to marge in 1994, homer made $40/day, which adjusted for inflation would mean he was making ~$20k/yr.

Data Graham posted:

I’m the tycoon who owns a nuclear power plant and works in a wood paneled office on the fuckin premises lmao

it's surrounded by metal, tho

Mantis42 posted:

It's weird that they repeat that joke. They show it once as a "coming up after the break" soundbite and then actually show it after the break with no additions or anything.

huh? are you sure about that? i've seen that one quite a few times and i honestly don't recall them doing that.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

maybe i hallucinated it, i'm not going to look it up to find out

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Behind the Laughter at least gave us Homer polishing old soundboards, which has been a running gag for twenty years with a friend who worked in radio. "Say whatever happened to Alan Hoover?" "Polishing soundboards up in Burlington last I heard"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Bad ep, real bad ep.

Bad Simpsons continues to be bourgie as hell.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The Moon Monster posted:

Bad Simpsons continues to be bourgie as hell.

Which underlines the contrast in the season finale ("Bart learns that there are basically no good middle class jobs like Homer's left in today's US").

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Behind the Laughter at least gave us Homer polishing old soundboards, which has been a running gag for twenty years with a friend who worked in radio. "Say whatever happened to Alan Hoover?" "Polishing soundboards up in Burlington last I heard"

I withdraw my previous comment; this is the funniest joke I've ever heard

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Riptor posted:

I withdraw my previous comment; this is the funniest joke I've ever heard

if you don't get your arbitron ratings up you'll be joining him

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Everything I remember about Saddlesore Galactica is really stupid, but maybe it kinda works because it remains at a consistent level of stupid.

Also, Chief Wiggum is literally just a normal American cop.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Everything I remember about Saddlesore Galactica is really stupid, but maybe it kinda works because it remains at a consistent level of stupid.

Also, Chief Wiggum is literally just a normal American cop.

He's probably less racist than the average

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
florida one has a bunch of funny bits once they're hiding out from the cop i don't know why everyone thinks it's so bad

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
People think the Florida one is bad?!

I like that.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I don’t remember jack poo poo about “Kill the Alligator and Run” except that an alligator got killed, and the family went on the run; thus, the title.

Except the alligator was just stunned and wasn’t really dead. Also, Kid Rock was there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
"but Marge! Florida is America's wang!"

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have a 18 month old, so I say “looks like we got a tiny Houdini” all the time.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

helsabot posted:

florida one has a bunch of funny bits once they're hiding out from the cop i don't know why everyone thinks it's so bad
I think it's mainly the aggressively obnoxious second act that makes it stand out.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I haven't seen it in what must be approaching 20 years but Kid Rock probably does not help its reputation.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I haven't seen it in what must be approaching 20 years but Kid Rock probably does not help its reputation.

Kid Rock does not detract from my love of Joe Dirt

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Went into a comic shop and was so serene. I dug it and gave nugats.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Who are their worst aged cameos who aren’t Michael Jackson? Kid rock, mel Gibson, Alec Baldwin… James Woods was an especially bad loss as it’s such a good ep but he’s become, uh, concerning (glances at his Twitter feed) oh man.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

helsabot posted:

literally the only funny thing in it is Joe C saying "nosir, please don't tell mama"

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

is that the same episode?

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Who are their worst aged cameos who aren’t Michael Jackson? Kid rock, mel Gibson, Alec Baldwin… James Woods was an especially bad loss as it’s such a good ep but he’s become, uh, concerning (glances at his Twitter feed) oh man.

James Wood's Twitter aside, the cameo is timeless.

"Don't jerk me around".

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
interesting bit on isolated Simpsons frames on Instagram:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/rabbit-holes/the-aesthetic-splendor-of-the-simpsons

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
"you're insincere. I like that." made me laugh, but the alligator episode as a whole is a real shitheap

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I feel like Blair, Assange, Murdoch, Ted Nugent and Musk are all up there in the bad guest star stakes, but I don't know if any of them have aged particularly poorly since their assholery was well known to begin with.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Rudy Giuliani.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Hrist posted:

People think the Florida one is bad?!

I like that.

the first half is good but the second half is really bad imo

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I feel like Blair, Assange, Murdoch, Ted Nugent and Musk are all up there in the bad guest star stakes, but I don't know if any of them have aged particularly poorly since their assholery was well known to begin with.

murdoch is the only one that appeared in a season that was remotely tolerable. plus, they made him out to be the evil tyrant that he is, not the "greatest inventor of the modern age" like they made lisa say to musk :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
have they had the bike Armstrong guy?

Armstrong cameos are pretty funny now.