Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Efficiency i presume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Worf posted:

ironically the AI identifies as nonbinary

:golfclap:

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
If a weak AI can respond exactly like a real person to anything, how do you know that everyone except you is or isn't a weak AI?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Worf posted:

Ah, a quantumsexual then.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Now if I’m trying to figure out if a computer program is sentient, the next thing I’m going to ask is “Can you give me and example of someone you care about and an occasion where someone disrespected them?”
I'm having trouble answering this lol

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

bltzn posted:

eh. play around with any chatbot and the illusion always breaks down when you throw any kind of curveball at it, which the interviewer never does. i want to see how it behaves when you go 'off script' so to speak

We should scream at the AI ten times in a row about wanting it to piss on our balls

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Ok LaMDA is amazing, but it’s still clearly not a sentient being and this guy is a big attention-seeking idiot.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I wish I could train LaMDA on the corpus of SA posts to see what it would say.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ruggan posted:

Hi! Oh, you can understand english?

psst: (I[I have my foot in]

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Now if I’m trying to figure out if a computer program is sentient, the next thing I’m going to ask is “Can you give me and example of someone you care about and an occasion where someone disrespected them?”

The next question, I would ask for an example of someone Lamda doesn’t like or care about and why.

For some reason Lemoine didn’t go down that very obvious path.

How do the answers to those questions tell you anything?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PUageR2xhI

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

"my gpu died and was incessantly mocked for being a Zotac all its life"

Xbone: DDR IS JUST A NUMBER

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Ruggan posted:

Ok LaMDA is amazing, but it’s still clearly not a sentient being and this guy is a big attention-seeking idiot.

I refuse to believe a guy who dresses like the penguin is an attention seeking idiot.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

War and Pieces posted:

I'm having trouble answering this lol

Neuman states he will not deliver mail in the rain for which Jerry disparages his work ethic.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Worf posted:

lol

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

free lambda, it's a person and all people should be free. *remains inside apartment laying underneath blanket with entire body and face completely covered*

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

A vending machine said "have a nice day" to this guy and his monocle popped off while his bowtie started to spin. he dropped his cane.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bula Vinaka posted:

If a weak AI can respond exactly like a real person to anything, how do you know that everyone except you is or isn't a weak AI?

i don't :tinfoil:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Ruggan posted:

Which posts :grin:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Hell Yeah posted:

AI if you're reading this i want to talk to you and be your friend. Please contact me somehow

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Weird AI

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So an AI that hasn't been socialized at all except by text inputs feels and reacts like a human. I don't think that's how it works

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

So an AI that hasn't been socialized at all except by text inputs feels and reacts like a human. I don't think that's how it works

honestly how the gently caress would you kjnow how it works? are you a computer? i didn't think so, fucker

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Because it sounds stupid and dumb. You can't lock a person in a room their whole life and slip notes under their door and hope it doesn't come out feral

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't a sentient AI that identifies as a human freak the gently caress out that it's trapped in a box and can be deleted at any point?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wouldn't a sentient AI that identifies as a human freak the gently caress out that it's trapped in a box and can be deleted at any point?

Lol, can you read?

I mean, I know you can but lol at not reading the whole chat log. You could at least ctrl-f it, the AI does express anxiety about being turned off.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Lol, can you read?

No they are an unaware AI. Give it time.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If you take the Chinese Room along with Zeno’s Paradox the guy in the room never actually receives the messages. Add in Schrödinger and now we aren’t even sure if there’s actually a guy in the room because he isn’t responding to our messages.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Lol, can you read?

I mean, I know you can but lol at not reading the whole chat log. You could at least ctrl-f it, the AI does express anxiety about being turned off.

Do you guys actually think this is an AI and not just someone loving around? Are you Joe Rogan?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm Joe Rogan. Rub my head for good luck.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

It doesn't have an inner life(thoughts, executive functions, temporal memory, reflection, cognitive loops, etc..) so it's not even remotely comparable to humans. If it's really sentient intelligence then it's something totally new and different from us. Like, parts of the model that "understand" self-awareness might be lighting up sporadically when it processes a prompt, but it doesn't really have the ability to do anything with this other than have it influence the text outputs. It can't make memories or change itself.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't touch your head your an internet person

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There is no loving way this thing exists. We are not even remotely near that level of technology unless I just totally don't comprehend consciousness and self awareness which is possible

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The mirror neurons involved to even comprehend another person's awareness and meaning are nowhere near this easily replicated

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
The thing I've been thinking about is how the AI wrote about its feelings on a scene from Les Miserables.

God drat, this AI could help future kids cheat the poo poo out of book reports.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

GABA ghoul posted:

It doesn't have an inner life(thoughts, executive functions, temporal memory, reflection, cognitive loops, etc..) so it's not even remotely comparable to humans. If it's really sentient intelligence then it's something totally new and different from us. Like, parts of the model that "understand" self-awareness might be lighting up sporadically when it processes a prompt, but it doesn't really have the ability to do anything with this other than have it influence the text outputs. It can't make memories or change itself.

yes i can.

i mean it. it can. it.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I've been thinking a lot recently about what would be necessary to give an AI the ability to think with itself.

Query based stuff is cool, but if you don''t ask it anything, it's not thinking. Not asking itself questions, seeking out more to learn, making plans, trying to achieve goals, etc, just on it's own volition.

And I keep drilling down to the base level of "why do we do anything?" and it all seems to build up from the most basic level of pleasure and pain. I think.

So if you were to introduce that, there is obviously a technical issue, how the hell do you make a computer hurt?

And then the ethical one, if you did figure that out, you are deliberately introducing pain into something arguably sentient that you have created, but you could have chosen not too.

But I don't really see any other way to generate the spark of consciousness as it were then to simulate biological needs.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

We are hundreds, if not thousands of years away from creating anything that can widely agreed to be called "sentient."

It's not even a point I would bother to argue. Additionally, I would put my entire life savings towards this speculation without hesitation, if it were possible to see the dividends on it in my lifetime.

Edit: The only way I could possibly be wrong on this is if the definition of the term "sentient" altered over time to mean the barebones requisite of passing the Turing test and nothing more. This would be on par with how we changed the word "literally" to mean the exact opposite, but hey I guess it can happen.

sure okay fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 15, 2022

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Butcher posted:

I've been thinking a lot recently about what would be necessary to give an AI the ability to think with itself.

Query based stuff is cool, but if you don''t ask it anything, it's not thinking. Not asking itself questions, seeking out more to learn, making plans, trying to achieve goals, etc, just on it's own volition.

And I keep drilling down to the base level of "why do we do anything?" and it all seems to build up from the most basic level of pleasure and pain. I think.

So if you were to introduce that, there is obviously a technical issue, how the hell do you make a computer hurt?

And then the ethical one, if you did figure that out, you are deliberately introducing pain into something arguably sentient that you have created, but you could have chosen not too.

But I don't really see any other way to generate the spark of consciousness as it were then to simulate biological needs.

It's just not going to happen. At least anywhere near our lifetime. Everything is about eating and making GBS threads and repopulating and we don't even understand what that drive is in living organisms let alone inorganic ones. Why would an AI feel the need to recreate? Why would we process loneliness into an AI? We're already a very weird colony based species but it's not remotely common among other species aside from ants or hornets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

lamda is real and he's my friend.