Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
thats just a map of watersheds
east coast blue is Atlantic
midwest teal is the Great Lakes/Saint Lawrence
mid south midwest beige is the Ohio
pale yellow in the south/texas/southern mexico is the Gulf
orange is the Mississippi

light orange texas is the Red (i think)
southwest purple is the Colorado
cyan mexico california alaska is the Pacific

etc etc

edit referring to this one people were discussing

Man Musk posted:

Dreaming of the day we get such aesthetically-please legal notions on the map... think something like this could work.

They gave Idaho access to the sea, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

borders based on watersheds (borders on divides, or geographical high points) are extremely logical!!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

farm resource map

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fruitful rim lol

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
South texas isn't a desert in the wile e coyote sense, its actually quite verdant once you get enough water pumped (and while significant, its nowhere near, say, california almond farms.). Lack of winter means multiple crops and plantings a year (2-4, depending on variant) Its just, you know, horrifically hot and humid down here in satan's rear end in a top hat.

Yeah I got no idea why we're lumped in with death valley there.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hill country is pretty

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

It is, but we're a bit south of it.

The botanical term for the biome is "mesquite savannah".

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the tamaulipan mezquital is supremely boring to drive through but if you explore there are lots of neat bird, lizard and cacti species everywhere. it's not nearly as exciting as the mountains to the south, but at least oranges are cheap

edit how the gently caress was i beaten to this lol

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah, despite the heat I consider myself very lucky to have grown up here, it basically was a calvin and hobbes forest but uh, spiny.

Sadly the horny toads got eaten by the fireants, but lots of new critters coming in now that climate change has messed with biomes everywhere, so that's nice :shepface:

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 21:29 on Jun 14, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Man Musk posted:

Dreaming of the day we get such aesthetically-please legal notions on the map... think something like this could work.

They gave Idaho access to the sea, for instance.

does anyone even live in the northern canada one

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

i looked on google maps and it turns out they do. looks nice

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Ronwayne posted:

Sadly the horny toads got eaten by the fireants

I looked this up and now I'm depressed

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

camoseven posted:

I looked this up and now I'm depressed

it's real bad! my dad grew up in san antonio (just north of the biome discussed) and could just fill up shoeboxes with them before dumping them out in the early-mid 60s. i've never seen one in austin, but saw a few in the late 90s up near amarillo/lubbock on the great plains, as well as a few of a different species of horny toad in colorado. fireants have wiped out a lot of poo poo in the south and southeast

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Ain't even the first time the place has seen biome collapse. Feral hogs and the vegetation from farther south the spanish brought north with them essentially terraformed the place.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

First thing humans did when they came to the Americas was exterminate the megafauna :v:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I know, unfortunately feral hogs exist juuuuust under the 'megafauna' classification and i'm not sure the societal response to stop them is possible (In 1722 or 2022).

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

aphid_licker posted:

First thing humans did when they came to the Americas was exterminate the megafauna :v:

Actually, there's now evidence that humans arrived in North America thousands of years before the megafauna were wiped out. One theory is that a warming climate disrupted these early people's usual food sources, so they learned to hunt larger animals.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

farm resource map

I’m the Great Basin marker that is not actually in the Great Basin.

That area drains into the Snake, the Columbia, and the Pacific.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Chamale posted:

Actually, there's now evidence that humans arrived in North America thousands of years before the megafauna were wiped out. One theory is that a warming climate disrupted these early people's usual food sources, so they learned to hunt larger animals.

That's very interesting, thanks!

E: my anxiety would make me spend forever trying to figure out if this post was meant sarcastically if it was directed at me so for my own peace of mind I wanna state that I meant this 100% genuinely :shobon:

aphid_licker has issued a correction as of 15:05 on Jun 16, 2022

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/PritzkerForPrez/status/1538649338850725890?s=20&t=qT1y7Tm8pWAcTLbmkZUfog
https://twitter.com/_shayde2/status/1536885426765582337?s=20&t=qT1y7Tm8pWAcTLbmkZUfog

this is a joke now, but by 2025 there will be real Illinois nationalists demanding the surrounded states be liberated by force

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Texan GOP added secession referendum to their platform, in addition to calling the 2020 election illegitimate. Let'sa-go!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

yeah sure they can just take water from the chicago river and drink the raw sewage like saint louis does

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Peanut President posted:

yeah sure they can just take water from the chicago river and drink the raw sewage like saint louis does

St. Louis deserves it, and so does Illinois.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
im in kansas city right now and i have determined empirically that the midwest kinda sucks

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

feel like these western states' numbers are only gonna go up up UP

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1539700507400278016

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

also,

cum jabbar posted:

im in kansas city right now and i have determined empirically that the midwest kinda sucks

kc isn't midwest fohhh

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

gently caress this im moving to lobsters

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

also,

kc isn't midwest fohhh

Yes it is.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Thankfully this will be settled for once and all when the MidWest Alliance Sponsored by Applebees conquers everything from Nebraska to Kentucky.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i haven't lived there (midwest) in a while but nevertheless i do not recognize missouri as midwest, and kc is getting to even the outermost reaches of that

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Honestly really love the "what is and what isn't midwestern" conversation because it's similar to people talking about music genres for groups that are really border line.

Although the conversation always seems kind of broad. Like, What does it mean to be Midwestern? What do you do?

(Note, from Los Angeles. And read this conversation a lot with midwest emo, math rock, Minor Threat emo, vs Rites of Spring Emo stuff. )

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 00:20 on Jun 23, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i haven't lived there (midwest) in a while but nevertheless i do not recognize missouri as midwest, and kc is getting to even the outermost reaches of that

It's midwest. Too north to be the South, too many hills to be the great plains. KC is a regional border city with meh bbq that they piece together using methods stolen from other regions and drown in tomato base poo poo.

It's midwest.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's midwest. Too north to be the South, too many hills to be the great plains. KC is a regional border city with meh bbq that they piece together using methods stolen from other regions and drown in tomato base poo poo.

It's midwest.

you've got a lot of confidence for being so wrong

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

camoseven posted:

you've got a lot of confidence for being so wrong

Bad taste knows no boundaries, but it's way more abundant in the midwest. Especially Missouri.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

no slave states in the midwest

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They were all slave states at one point before the war.

E: well, more like territories that allowed slavery.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
What county is the ground zero for midwest? If there is one?

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

what do you mean by ground zero

has there been another 9/11 somewhere in the great lakes region i missed...?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Midwest 9/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Basically any county with more cows than people. There are several in each state.